Fourtitude.com - Painting chrome a different color (black)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 11-09-2016 03:06 PM #1
      Hello,

The Borla exhaust for my car is only available in chrome. Thought about ceramic or powder coating, but the Borla sales representative said not only would this void my warranty, but possibly ruin exhaust, as the muffler itself, which is built into the piping, would get damaged by the heating of either product. Borla rep. informed me the only way to make it black is painting it with VHT header paint.

Looked into how hard it would be to paint chrome, and no clear consensus. Some people strip the chrome first with steel wool or sandpaper. Other people apply a primer before the actual header paint. Then others simply spray the header paint directly on the chrome.

Anybody have experience in painting chrome? Does it really need to be scuffed up to have paint adhere? Should I use a high-temp. primer before applying the paint? The only way to actually remove the chrome is chemically stripping it. Would it be beneficial to have it sandblasted, which will scuff it up enough, and then apply primer/paint?

Any ideas or advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW: Exhaust is an axle-back set-up (below)

Last edited by Gekbi83; 11-09-2016 at 03:16 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      44 cylinders, 19.9 liters
      11-09-2016 03:44 PM #2
      I'd media blast what needed to be painted then go at it with the VHT of your flavor. Can probably get away with the general hi-temp paint rather than the header paint due to the temperature at the tip probably getting hot enough to cure/ burn-in the higher rated paints.

That's just me though.
      "For the sake of making this easier, let's just agree that I know everything and am correct."

2016 security breach victim #129,248. Formerly karlorado
      IG @chipan_dougleville

4. 11-09-2016 04:04 PM #3
      Would you hit it with primer after blasting it? They have self-etching primer, which I can also spray over the metal once it is sandblasted.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      44 cylinders, 19.9 liters
      11-09-2016 05:39 PM #4
      I personally wouldn't, just a good thorough wipe down with alcohol
      "For the sake of making this easier, let's just agree that I know everything and am correct."

2016 security breach victim #129,248. Formerly karlorado
      IG @chipan_dougleville