VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

5-Speed Transmission Swap; (KPF to LPU) on my MKV Rabbit?

27K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  Stankyspanky 
#1 ·
Question for the transmission gurus: Will a 0A4 (LPU) 5-speed work on my 2009 Rabbit?

My car currently has the 0A4 (KPF) and it has failed and I have already removed it.

Looking for something to put back in that hole.

Didn't know of the different gearing between the boxes.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I did a little more researching and decided to go with the LPU.

I found a used one out of a 2012 Passat with the 2.5L.

And yes, like you've stated, 4th on the LPU is close to what my current 5th gear is.

It's like losing my current 4th gear, moving 5th in its place and gaining a 6th gear ratio. I believe the 2.5 has enough torque to pull this off because I never have to downshift to pass people when I'm on the highway. My current 5th gear keeps me in the torque band. With the LPU, I'm guessing I'll just have to downshift to 4th to pass on the highways; no big deal.

Regardless, it has already been paired by VW in the Passat with the 2.5L so it can't be that bad.

I'm ditching the dual-mass flywheel too. The OEM DMF & Clutch worked flawlessly for 192k miles, but it's time to change them and the DMF is super expensive. So I opted to go with a single-mass flywheel (Black Forest Industries Stage 1 Kit).

#8 ·
At the end it's a matter of personal taste as a lot of things are.
If You like a gearbox with an overdrive gear the LPU is defenitely a good choise for you.
I personaly don't like an overdrive characteristic.
You mensioned it allready, perhaps you have to downshift to pas other cars on the highway.
I am using my car also in the mountains, the Alpes in Europe, and I like driving there.
A gearbox with an overdrive is no option for me.

#4 ·
anyone know what transmission/gear ratio is in the 2011+ golf and JSW?

My 2012 JSW's 4th gear sits roughly where my 2010 golf's 5th gear did. Sounds like it might be something very similar to the transmission paired to the 2012 passat?

Peter

#6 ·
#9 ·
I did the opposite, I went from the 04A to an 02J, not sure if thats the right code but a 5 speed from an 09. The gearing is way longer in the 04A gearbox. Even with 300+whp it would take FOREVER to run through third, and I never hit the top off 4th. It did 130mph at 7500 RPM in third.
Now with the 02J third pulls to ~110mph and 4th to 135 ish. The 04A 5th was also swapped into the new tranny which gave me a tall gear for highway cruising. There is a pretty big gap between 4th and 5th but I honestly don't even notice anymore.

If you want a gearbox for great gas mileage, 04A all the way. But If you want something you can have more fun with then 02J for sure. The shorter gears are much more fun to have a spirited drive with. Regardless, both bolt up just fine.

#14 ·
the 5-speed 0A4 boxes had the 3.65 final gear. With the 0A4 boxes, there are a few different codes with the same gearing. From what I can tell the change was in 2010 with the 3.39 final with the same gear ratios as the previous 0A4 boxes. And in 2012 they brought back the 3.65 final into the 0A4 boxes?

In summary: The same 2.5L engine (hp/tq specs) from 2009 to 2012 was paired with at least 3 variants of the 0A4 transmission.

#11 ·
This is the hybride 02C-02S gearbox in my car (2.5L turboed corrado 4x4 syncro). Gearboxes: CBC (passat syncro), GQM and JWX

1. 3.777 x 3.39 = 12.807
2. 2.06 6.983
3. 1.45 4.916
4. 1.11 3.763
5. 0.875 2.966
6. 0.725 2.458

FD. 3.39

Because of the engine power, more than 400 hp, I'll do a 02Q/haldex swap this winter.
This is also a hybride gearbox: GRF x KZV

1. 3.357 x 3.45 = 11.582
2. 2.087 x 3.45 = 7.200
3. 1.469 x 3.45 = 5.067
4. 1.088 x 3.45 = 3.754
5. 1.097 x 2.76 = 3.027
6. 0.912 x 2.76 = 2.516

Tyres: 205 x 45 x16

Driving the car with the hybride 02C/02S gearbox was perfect, engine and gearbox made the car just a real sportscar.
Because of the small difference with de hybride 02Q box I am pretty sure I will have the same fun after the 02Q swap.

#15 ·
Forgot to update this thread.

The transmission swap went perfectly and it mates well in the rabbit.

3rd gear isn't as fun as it used to be, however, my upgraded BFI clutch makes up for it in 1st and 2nd.

Cruising with low rpms on the highway now. Also, I don't even have to downshift as much as I had anticipated; which is nice.

#16 ·
I posted this the other day in another part of the forum but had no reply as yet, then i found your post le0n.

''I'm looking to replace my transmission (the output shaft decided it wanted to see what the clutch and flywheel were up to and punched a hole through the casing).

I have a Jetta MKV 2.5 ltr 5 speed manual trans code 0A4 - KPF with a 100mm flange

Does anyone know if its possible to fit a transmission of a different code? (I'm having trouble finding a fair priced KPF).

Thanks.''

Is your replacement still going strong? and how is it with the solid flywheel compared to the DMF because i have also found that it would be a much cheaper replacement.

This is my first transmission replacement and I'm somewhat of an amateur with vehicle mechanics, however, i have a mechanical background with aviation.

Thanks.

#17 · (Edited)
It's great.

The BFI stage 1 clutch kit works great. After the break-in period + 1500 miles, it is so nice.

Just mind the gear ratios + final gear size. There are some transmissions post 2011 that are geared too much for highway and will suck the life out of the driving experience.

#19 · (Edited)
2012 5-speed (Jetta, Golf) 0A4-LEA will work too. just find a 2012 model with the gearing below to get a better 'highway' transmission.

1st - 3.78
2nd - 2.12
3rd - 1.27
4th - 0.87
5th - 0.66
rev - 3.60

Final Drive: 3.39

^^ this is the transmission i was referring to. note that it has the same gears as the LPU, however, the final drive is different.

the 2012 Passat w/2.5 was the weird model that had the LPU transmission. i'm guessing it was done to reduce cabin noise at highway speeds, while keeping 1st-3rd where it could move the Passat up to highway speeds.

either way, you'll miss the feeling of the KPF 3rd gear.

* Edits were made. Whiskey plus forums don't always work well. A sober read works wonders, hah hah.

#21 ·
Oh, and in addition to what I stated/edited above, go ahead and get a new slave cylinder fluid line. Mine just failed on me. I can only guess is because I removed and replaced it twice. They are not old-school threaded connections, only push rubber connections with clips.

Pedal hit the floor while coming up to an intersection. The fluid level in the reservoir doesn't have to fall too far (~1/2"?) before your slave cylinder is starved of fluid.

#22 ·
*Update*

I found an 2012 Passat LPU Trans with 36k and have fitted it with a new clutch and flywheel for a very reasonable price,

Took it out for a test run and everything seems to be fine 'touch wood'.

I don't think I would have got around to fixing it if I hadn't found this post.

Thanks again for your advice leon :D

#25 ·
Is the LPU the only transmission that can be swapped with the KPF? In reference to a vw rabbit 2009 manual
No. There are other 5-speeds that will fit. Seemingly anything from a 2.5L model.

The only thing you have to keep an eye on is the gear ratios. The KPF ratios are the fun ones :)

Also, there are 6-speeds from the GTI/GLI that you can swap in there too.

#33 ·
Bringing this back from the dead to thank OP for all of the great info here. I have a 2008 Rabbit that's been in the family since new, and the close gearing always seemed like a terrible mismatch for the 2.5. It's now being turned into a rallycross car as well as continuing daily driver duties, and is getting a limited slip this winter - I was looking for transmission options for an easy swap, and this is PERFECT. 1-2 being the same is all I need for autocross/rallycross, and the taller 3-4-5 will suit the torque of the 2.5 and gain better gas mileage.

Add to that, these are more plentiful, cheaper, and lower miles due to being available in much newer cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.