VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

AutoX Practice run

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BR_337 
#1 ·
Finally got the car to run good, and was able to drive it without hiccups.

https://youtu.be/_zoXonnP23k

Even though I got the fastest time of the day there was still much more left in the car but my abilities/experience where about maxed out, you could tell in the video that there are a lot of places where I can improve.

Specs:
04 R32 fully stripped of interior except dash,
fully built turbo 3.3 engine low boost (7-8 psi)
RB BBK with G-loc race pads
wavetrac front diff
no front sway bar,
Neuspeed big RSB
Kumho ecsta V710 275/40/17 tires
race spec alignment
einkei RPF1 wheels
longer gears
tripple disk DM clutch
all solid subframe bushings
spherical bearings everywhere
tubular control arms
tubular front sub-frame
H&R RSS coilovers with front swift springs

See less See more
#2 ·
Car looks to be moving really nice. Any idea on what your racing weight is? What front rate springs did you swap out the front RSS springs for? Just pay more attention to learning the course and forcing yourself to look ahead further, really focus on the line, and I can see your times dropping fast.

#3 ·
thanks, it has been a while since I got to autox. Practice is what I really need most definitely.

The spring rates are just 100lbs more than the rss ones up tp 784lbs/in no front sway bar.

The weight I am not sure but it is completely gutted of its interior, sound deadening, AC, climatrinoc, sunroof, unused wiring, airbags, removed fuel tank and replaced with a fuel cell, tubular front subframe and control arms, cf hood, lighgt weight rpf1 wheels, racing brake bbk, removed all emissions stuff, fender exit exhaust, front door glass is removed, and probabbly other things I cannot remember at the moment.

#5 ·
thanks!! I am still figuring out and tweaking the setup as I go, need to play a bit more with sway bars and alignment on it. Hopefully this year is going to be a little better in terms of time behind the wheel and not turning wrenches on the R. I will definitely look for more events like the Evo racing school, and more local practice events.

I will keep the power output tamed a bit longer and then I will turn it up a bit more as my skills progress.

#6 ·
im curious as to what struts youve used that will handle that much spring rate up front.
also interested in the race alignment. ive basically changed up my mk4 R alignment for every season, the only thing that seems to stay the same is "as much front camber as possible"

#7 ·
I use H&R RSS coilovers and when I talked to H&R they said that the struts can handle only 100lbs more than the ones from the kit before you need to re-valve the struts.

With the slicks I have played with 3 to 4 degrees of camber on the front. on street tires that becomes too much I've been told. I have as much caster as I can possibly get with the Ground control race camber plates and zero toe.

on the rear I have 1.5 degrees of camber 1/16"of toe in because I run this car on the road course so high speed stability..... car has a big turbo and can get going really fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.