VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Just Test drove a 2002 TT.....

16K views 150 replies 15 participants last post by  recaro19 
#1 · (Edited)
HO....LY......CRAP!!

I instantly fell in love!

I've been in the market for a decently price car with below average km's, decent storage area for my DJ gear (I play twice a week at a regularly paid gig), sporty, and something that doesn't take up a whole lot of space. I came across this gem a few days ago on kijiji and have been excited to see it since. Just signed the paper work to see if I get approved for financing.

It's a 2002 TT 225hp coupe with just over 120km. Thing hauls ass!! (Mind you, this will be the fastest car I've ever own.....

Curious to see what you guys think I got it for. First person to get close to the number, gets to ride shot gun ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Haha....yeah, I'm sure it will be frustrating at times! But in terms of being a sports car, it's actually quite practical. I wanted an AWD for winter (I live in Canada) so was looking at the A3, and A4 wagons. Nothing in my price range though with those cars so looked into the TT and it just makes sense.

#5 ·
Id love to hear about your experience with mods and of course your recommendations. I am coming from an 86 jetta carat so this will be my first Audi / real sports car.

It's funny. The TT is faster and cheaper then most FWD A3's and it's a lot more car! Like I said, I was looking for AWD and enough cargo space to fit my gear in along with myself so I didn't even think to check out the TT. Plus, I am single, no family, and don't ever taxi any friends around so what's the point in having all that space that an A3 or A4 has? I did a random search for a TT one day convinced it would be way too much money but I was shocked to see the price on this one. It was also from a dealer quote close to home which is pretty rare in my neighbour hood. Most of the cars on the road here are Asian or American.

Once the deal is all signed off on and ownership is transferred, I will definitely share some photos with you guys. I haven't been able to sleep for two days now. The anticipation is killing me! Lol

#6 ·
Search for my username, most of my mod threads are old, I've been collecting parts since the Earth cooled. I've done bolt-ons, a tune, rear sway, and Haldex controller, and that makes for a well-rounded, stockish TT, but since the platform is shared with the R32 there is a lot of suspension knowledge to dig though, along with all the 1.8T info from the past decade and a half. Aside from here check out Audi-Sport, UK TT Forum, the 1.8T and mkIV R32 forums on Vortex, and a few others are a good place to start.

At this point you're not going to see a ton of new development or parts coming out, but there is a robust amount of information to start sorting through. What you need to buy and do really depends on what you want to do with the car. What I mentioned above is pretty basic, so if you want a 400hp stroker or Auto-X king it'll take research and not just spending money on a bunch of stuff you won't use - I wish I would have skipped bolt-ons now, but to each their own. Have a plan, and I'd be hard-pressed to think of something that hasn't been covered at one point or another somewhere online.

#12 · (Edited)
Already have two jobs and an income property!! Lol...guess I meet the criteria to own an Audi!! Lol

Ya I am glad it is black but it wasn't my first choice. Was hoping to find one in the blue colour these things came in but the price and km's were just too good to pass up in with this car. Only has 120km

And thanks for the welcome! Not gonna lie, feels really good. This care is a timeless piece and I feel like it is a good piece of history to have. It's audis first "sports car" since their Quattro! That's something to be proud of.

#10 ·
Tune
Turbo back
Turbo inlet and diverter valve
Suspension.

If you plan on ever going with a bigger turbo dont do any modds save your money then do it all at once.

About 5 to 6k will get it done for turbo rodds and a tune

Another 1 to 2k for suspension

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Awesome tips! Only thing I'll be doing for now is getting snow tires. Winter season is approaching so want to make sure I'm set. We'll see how much is saved for next year but think new shoes and suspension for sure for next summer first, then look in to performance mods.

Will 19's mess with the speedo? Or are they doable on the TT? Hoping to find some nice oem rims.

#18 ·
Sweet!! I live in Arizona and just picked up one exactly like that last week. Has 92K on it. I noticed some issues right away that I did not initially see/find on initial inspection. (Got it private party) First main thing was I did not realize brake light sensor was broke. So I drove it for two days before I realized I had no brake lights. Thank goodness I am a bit particular when things dont work. Was driving on the highway and could not get CC to engage, a quick search here revealed the culprit (brake light sensor). Went to local auto store and picked one up for 5 dollars, followed the simple instructions that many people have posted here on Vortex, and was good to go in 45 minutes.

Also the driver side door sensor is not working, another 5 dollar part has been picked up, just have not dove into doing it yet. Also my center LCD display is going out so I need a rebuild eventually. But these are all things I knew could potentially happen. (I did know Lucky for me though previous owner did all 100,000 mile warranty work before selling. So that was 2G job I did not have to do, AND the timing belt was changed, which would have been a deal breaker for me if it had not been done.

So obviously there are these weird quirky electrical and sensor issues that can pop up, but plenty of info here to get the job done in a more affordable way. One other thing my Quattro was purchased as a NON daily driver, I want to do some moderate updates like tune, exhaust, and new shoes, and will invest in a custom paint job (current paint has issues from being in vegas and phoenix the last 10 years). I know I will never get the money out of it, but I did not buy car to sell in a few years also. I just happened to luck out and get into a low milage TT with some cosmetic issue, solid engine (with 100K work done), and immaculate interior all under 6K.

#19 · (Edited)
Congrats man! I'm assuming that 92k is in miles? In Canada we go by KM's so 120k is 120000 km. Still a decent price for what you got! I spent a bit more but the mileage is very low for it's year. Comes out to just over 8000 km per year if you do the math. Also came with a ken wood touch screen DVD player and entertainment unit.

The only flaw I noticed was that the right passenger side front fender was repainted. Nothing came up on the vin as an accident but there was a note about some damage with a 0 dollar amount. From what I understand, someone scratched the car while it was parked in a lot and the previous owner had work done to it. Other then that, everything drove great. Steering was straight and didn't notice anything off that would indicate it was in an accident. Lines on all the joints were straight as well.

I asked about the timings belt and wasn't really sure if it had been done or not. I did some more research h and apparently the belt should be done every 75000 miles (around 120 km) from what I read so this car is due for a change. Texted to see if he will take care of it while the safety is done and if not to knock off some more on the deal to compensate for the job. Haven't heard back from him yet but hoping he gives me a few hundred off. Other then that, the Haldex system was serviced and he has the paper work for it, and he is replacing some of the suspension bushings that came back on the safety inspection.

This car will be a daily for me but I do plan on taking good care of her this winter. Preventive options like rust proofing and car washes hopefully will help avoid any incidents this winter. I have an 86 jetta that I was going to be fixing up but I just couldn't pass up on this deal. Might do what I have to to get her fixed up and use that as a winter car but it too is in mint condition. I think the Audi should be fine as long as I give a proper wash every week. My commute to work also isn't very far (probably under a 2 km drive as my home is extremely close to work) so I won't be exposed to highway sludge, dirt, and salt unless I'm road tripping into the city. Plus no point in having an AWD if you aren't going to drive it year round!

Also, let's see some pics of yours!! Keep me posted with any work you do and other findings you come across!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkm

#20 · (Edited)
Yeah find out for sure regarding TB change. And yes 92 thousand miles on it. I have researched my vehicle for Haldex change but can not see one done. Will go to my local german car shop and see if they can give me some answers to that. They upgraded my system to a Sony Xplod. Maybe not my first choice in after market stereo, but it has Iphone/Ipod hook up, plus it charges my Iphone, and heck it sounds really good with the Bose speakers. They gave me the original radio, but I have not clue what to do with the 6 disk changer behind my seat. Should probably just pull it.

Real quick story.....I never considered a TT, not sure why just did not think about it, I was looking into either a MKV GTI or 08R32. Then I was bored and randomly started looking up cars, went A4 first then A6, and decided to look for a TT in the local area. No many available, but what I saw I really liked, just fell in love and never looked back.

#21 ·
Yeah, I'm suppose to pick up the car tomorrow so will see what happens. I'll keep you updated.

Definitely pull the disc changer. The car itself still looks the part in today's modern world, but I would say that disc changers are definitely a thing of the past worthy of museum status. Put up on the shelf beside you VHS and cassette players ;)

I didn't have time to check into the ken wood head unit because I was too eager to drive the car, but it's seemed pretty neat. Will have to play with it more tomorrow.

You know, it's funny you mention your quick story. It's a bit scary as well because I was in the exact same boat! Was searching for a GTI or A3 but everything I was finding was too far for me to make time to see so I was getting frustrated. One day (like you) I condensed my search and just typed in Audi in my local area on kijiji and BAM! The TT showed up. I always loved this car as a teenager but some how I had completely forgotten about it until this random search. I was pretty set and made arrangements to go see it.

Funny how similar our stories are, AND how we bought the exact same car!! Lol

Nice looking ride btw!! [emoji482]

#24 ·
Ok so a bit of an update. Car is still being safetied and pick up has be delayed till tomorrow. I asked about the timing belt and apparently Audi says 100 000 miles but other sources say 75000. Either way, not much I can do and the guy won't budge on getting it repaired so going to try and have a chat with him tomorrow about knocking a few hundred off to compensate for the cost.

I am going to be driving the car out to my mechanic friend who specializes in German cars on Saturday to have him have a go over but looks like I'll be doing the timing belt myself.

Fingers crossed I get a bit of a reduction in price....

#25 ·
Great looking car. I still get compliments on mine regularly, people love these. I stop to pick up a pizza yesterday and a guy walking out is talking to me saying "I love those cars". Between my TT and my Boxster that I get compliments on every time I go out, especially from women as men pretend they only like 911s, I have less than $6k in both cars combined purchase price but I get more compliments than when I drive my $48k 4Runner which I get none with LOL.
The timing belt is no biggie, couple hours and a couple hundred bucks. I am guessing you are paying around $3500-4k for that car so it is unlikely the owner will throw that in as it would cost him around $600 to get it done at a shop.

#27 ·
I wish I paid 4K!

Spent a bit more but the car is in immaculate condition. Plus, lowest miles I could find. Also, in Canada so price is a bit different here. I did a comparison search though and found that this was the only TT that had the lowest mileage. Others that were sitting at around 160-170k were 4-5 thousand more!

I definitely got a good deal but not a 3500-4K deal :(

As for the timing belt, yeah I looked into it more and the kits aren't to bad. Only problem is finding everything in Canada for a decent price!! Lol. A buddy of mine specializes in vw and Audi so going to be taking it to him this Saturday to have a look.

As for looks, this car definitely hasn't aged. It's a timeless piece that still looks like a modern car. I always loved this car and remember it being my main ride in need for speed underground 2 on Xbox back in the day!! Had posters all over my room but was way to expensive in my teenage years to buy. It's an awesome feeling. Just can't wait to get the exhaust upgrades and put on some nicer shoes and lower suspension.

#32 ·
Yeah it is. You are right!

Finally got the call today. Pick her up tomorrow!! Apparently the spring was cracked in the back that was causing noise so delays from Audi parts was setting the timeline back.

Emission test and registration will be done first thing tomorrow and will be ready for pick up after I'm done work.

More photos to come!

#36 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of the front of mine ( only one I have uploaded). You can see the extra bump that the license plate is attached to. And BTW, the house is for sale, listing with Royal LePage

#39 ·
Here is a picture of the front of mine ( only one I have uploaded). You can see the extra bump that the license plate is attached to. And BTW, the house is for sale, listing with ReMax.

Nice! Good looking colour. Black rims would make it look very mean.

How much for the house? Will you trade for a Audi TT? [emoji23]

#42 ·
Yeah, I miss that bug (1999 TDI), we had 14 years of epic fun together, but the engine died from yet undetermined causes (guessing a valve went boom into a piston). She went to my buddy's private VW rest home, where her parts will live on. She was getting too "feature-filled" to revive from the engine failure, but we will do an autopsy. Seems appropriate on an automobile. :laugh: Bug #2 was not as well loved, so it was not hard to swap her for the TT.

#48 ·
Thanks man! Each tunes will be a while. Actually got some good news and bad news.....

The guy I bought it from said it passed safety but upon further inspection by my mechanic, the rear Spring is cracked on the driver side, and the tires are cracked and wearing in evenly. In Ontario these are automotive fails so will he going back to the seller about it. BIG DEAL!!

also, timing belt is super loose. My mechanic was shocked that nothing has happened yet. I drove 150km to get here with no problems but he was very scared to let me drive off with it so....she'll be staying with him to get repaired this week. Parts are going to be about 250 plus labour but I'm just happy my mechanic is honest and is telling me to not drive it.

Update you with what happens after I talk to the seller!!

#52 · (Edited)
Update:

Andre and his awesome team at Eco-Wagens in Newmarket, Ontario sent me a few snaps today of the timing belt job. These guys are absolutely awesome. Never met a group of mechanics so obsessed with Audi and VW.

And the infamous cheap plastic impeller Audi chose to use on these magnificent machines. The plastic broke off while the guys were taking it out. Just goes to show how cheap these pieces are and why it's so important to get them changed!!

New water pump with metal impeller. What an upgrade. It's these small things that count!

Shot from the bottom...

Anyways, is highly recommend these guys if you are in the GTA. You know you found the right mechanic when you can chat cars for 8 hours straight! Andre also made sure I didn't drive or start the car again after he checked the timing belt. Guy even drove me home which is an hour and half away (he was heading in that direction)! Now that's amazing service!

Here is their website: www.eco-wagens.com

#62 ·
Here is my list.....

1) Tint (I live in AZ....mandatory)
2) I need an extra key
3) Fix Cluster Gauge
4) Wheels (18")
5) Tune +Diverter Valve (APR probably)
6) DownPipe and Exhaust
7) Was going to completely repaint car, now I have decided to do a 3M car wrap and see how that goes for a few years, then decided if a custom paint job is worth my time or not.

#63 ·
Fantastic list tusconTT. I'm actually finding my suspension is pretty rough. Need to get on with starting my repair list for spring.

Looking at doing a full suspension overall. New bushings and linkage along with the shocks and springs/coilovers.

Also, maybe I just got used to the speed of the car but I'm finding it wants to do more buts gets held back. Would this be because of the factory tune limiting the output?

#64 ·
Shameless soliciting on my part but i have a brand new set of front and rear control arm bushes i need to sell unfortunately. Solid derlin defcon fronts and power flex rose jointed rears as well as an extra set of control arms with nubs.

Thankfully my coilovers just sold.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.