VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Just Test drove a 2002 TT.....

16K views 150 replies 15 participants last post by  recaro19 
#1 · (Edited)
HO....LY......CRAP!!

I instantly fell in love!

I've been in the market for a decently price car with below average km's, decent storage area for my DJ gear (I play twice a week at a regularly paid gig), sporty, and something that doesn't take up a whole lot of space. I came across this gem a few days ago on kijiji and have been excited to see it since. Just signed the paper work to see if I get approved for financing.

It's a 2002 TT 225hp coupe with just over 120km. Thing hauls ass!! (Mind you, this will be the fastest car I've ever own.....

Curious to see what you guys think I got it for. First person to get close to the number, gets to ride shot gun ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#70 ·
A bit overkill for my skill level. I leave the heavy diagnostics to my head mechanic.

In other news, I scraped a curb today and put a little dent in my rocker panel.... [emoji35]

Not huge, but still a pain to know I did it. A white scrape along the bottom to. Yet another thing to the list of fixes!

Started sourcing suspension parts today for suspension overhaul.

#71 ·
The guys at Eco-Wagens can log the car for you I'm sure.

I tend to run Chevron 94 ( not sure if you guys have that back east ) its hit or miss, some tanks I have a decent timing pull others I don't but this is on a tune adapted for Canadian fuel. If I was on a tune made for US fuel I'd be pinging and knocking all over the place.

#72 ·
Yeah they mentioned they will! Andre just told me you guys got in contact with him. I'll be seeing him soon to get started on some logs for you guys.

In terms of fuel, major ones we have are petro Canada, shell, esso, and then some other ones.

#76 ·
Yeah, Flex Fuel is pretty common around here as well. Ford being the big player. I never realized how different fuel is from one gas station to the next.

Another question completely off topic of fuel though, what are some good suppliers for performance parts in Canada? I can't seem to find anything for my TT except for places like ECS and other shops in the states. Do us Canadians have a go to place from suspension, exhaust, and other performance upgrades??

#87 ·
Hey guys,

I'm sure this question got pounded a bunch of times but i can't seem to find a straight answer.

I'm getting a whole lot of creaking and squeeking at slow speeds. mostly when pulling the car forward on an uphill or slowly backing out. It sounds like something metalic is stretching, or bending. That real metal twisting sound. Any ideas what it can be? I've read that the old bushings had some plastic on them that when worn out the squeek but this sound is scaring me. could it be something structural or just some common join issues that need patching up?

Would appreciate the wisdom of the forums to help me out!

#89 ·
I have a gut feeling that it's this along with some work out bushings. Looking into getting polyurethane replacement parts for the suspension components.

Any recommended upgrades? Suspension and shocks will come in the spring as well so might be smart to start collecting parts over the winter.

#94 ·
Ditto on skip the swaybars for now.
The rear sway is easy enough to change.

The front sway means dropping the subframe. When dropping the subframe to do the sway is when you should also be changing out your downpipe. If you're doing the downpipe, might as well do the full turbo back. With the subframe down is also the best time to target any leaky power steering lines.

So... Yeah, just the bushings. Maybe the rear sway.

#95 · (Edited)
See this is the advice I need. As exciting as it is to get into upgrades, I can't afford to do everything all at once. I just need to slowly get the car prepped for upgrades so bushings is a good start.

Probably going to put in new shocks as well for the winter since I have a tone of bounce.

Probably order bushings tomorrow or wait and see what my mechanic says next week.

#96 ·
You really would benefit from trying to tackle bushing and coil/shock install.

Things like bushings, breaks, sensors and the like will cost you more in labor than parts.

VCSD lite aka vacom diagnostics cable and software is 99 bucks for the light version

If you do no other work yourself at least get vcds so you can scan codes.

If you post up your codes here someone will help you. You will save yourself hundreds of dollars replacing easy to get to sensors, coils and the like.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

#99 ·
I'll probably end up doing it myself. I've done shock install on my mk3 jetta back when I had it but figured that the upgrade in car would mean getting someone with specific tools to tackle it.

I guess not though? Is the Bentley manual good for this car or is there another guide to work from? I know the mk2 and mk3 jetta platforms well but this is a new beast for me.

#101 ·
I'm an images and video learner kind of guy. I can frame a house without blinking but never got deep into mechanics so don't want to tackle anything I don't have tools for.

Any other suggestions? Are their frame photos or OEM illustrations of chassis?

#102 ·
I use a paid online resource called Alldatadiy but for the TT, it actually has less than the Bentley manual. I know folks have mentioned using a web resource but I can't think of it right now. Once you look at the suspension, it's really quite simple (coming from someone who could also build a house mostly blindfolded). At that point you're using it for torque specs.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

#103 ·
There is no need for manuals for suspension work, just unbolt and replace. If you want the factory manual I'll send you the link to download it for free, easier yet, scroll down to the post about the uncommon starting problem as Adam has a link to the manual in there that you can download.

#105 ·
That sounds like something I need. What's on the disc? Extra images and stuff not in the book or just a digital copy?

Either way, I like reading so the book is definitely something I need. The manual with the car just isn't cutting it.

By the way, squeaking is getting worse and louder! Lol...I need to get on this. Just so pissed about ordering parts from the states! #canadianproblems

#109 ·
No, this is the dealer service manual and includes all wiring diagrams, diagnostic procedures etc...
Adam posted a link to it in the thread "unusual starting problem", I can pm you an old link but not sure if it still works, just go to that thread and download the link Adam posted.

#112 ·
Welcome to TT ownership. It definitely sounds like you're on the right track to getting where you want to go. If you need a Bentley manual, I have one just kicking around. Sold the TT a while back and it's just sitting so I'd give it to you for cheap. I'm in Stoney Creek right now so I don't think too far away.

If you've done work on other cars, the TT is pretty straightforward for the most part. Things break when you take them apart (anything plastic) but just replace with upgrades or new and you'll be fine.

I've gotten a few things from eurosport tuning and they're great to deal with. :thumbup:

#113 · (Edited)
No way! That would be awesome. I'm goi go to be heading to my mechanic next week to get the car on the hoist and figure out what needs to get done. I could arrange to stop by on my way? Let me know!

I have done some work, but a lot of times I end up not having the right tool which makes it a pain in the arse. Time and space are also an issue so I'd rather book with my guy who has everything and knows how to do it properly. It's also good for me to go there Because he shows me the what's what and I learn from him.

Yeah I think suspension is definitely going to be where I put most of my pennies over the next month or so. No point in doing anything else unless a solid base is built.

Keep me posted about the manual. Pm your number and I'll shoot you a text!

#117 ·
Upgrading and replacing worn suspension parts is so highly recommended. The best way I can explain is this, 15 year old rubber is just not up to snuff and neither are the absorbers. I put the Bilstein coilovers on mine last winter and it is night and day. I also replaced every bushing in the car with Poly. The car is only slightly lowered (about 1.25inch) and the ride and handling difference is night and day. People ride with me and cannot believe how well it handle and how it turns in (I also have the aluminum inserts in the front control arms for the "recalled" bushing) It handles so nice now, it took me 3 times on the alignment rack to get the handling set up just like I want it (good thing it's free, I get to use my buddy's shop after hours) It actually has less understeer than my midengined Boxster (although I am about to cure that on the Porsche with this winter's project). The best way I can stress how important the suspension is for the enjoyment of this car is that I built a stroker short block last winter to double the horsepower, since I did the suspension I enjoy the car so much I have not even messed with finishing up that engine as it can wait now.

#119 ·
Glad to hear this. Your words have reinforced my decision to just tackle the necessary first!

What brand of poly bushings did you go with? I'm looking at the polyflex stuff now but haven't made any final decisions. Hope to find a good brand from a local dealer here in Canada instead of paying us and shipping/border fees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.