Fourtitude.com - Short Ram / Cold Air Intake
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 76 to 100 of 148
    1. Member Cherb32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2006
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      3,000
      Cars
      16 Jetta S, 08 Rabbit, 06 Touareg
      07-07-2017 09:35 PM #76
      You will lose a small amount of torque on the low end and see a very small gain up top. From most sites I have seen that make intakes for this motor, the gains on average were 3-5%. Either way its really just a piece that makes noise which is why the price of $300 to $350 isn't/wasn't justifiable for little to no gains when the intake first came out. The only real way to know if you are seeing gains is to dyno with and without the intake.....this is if you decide to not take the manufacturer's word regarding gains.

      Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      I'm usually too busy reaching for another beer to pay attention to other cars on the road

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2017
      Location
      NNJ
      Posts
      279
      Cars
      2017 Jetta S A/T 1.4T
      07-07-2017 10:09 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Cherb32 View Post
      You will lose a small amount of torque on the low end and see a very small gain up top. From most sites I have seen that make intakes for this motor, the gains on average were 3-5%. Either way its really just a piece that makes noise which is why the price of $300 to $350 isn't/wasn't justifiable for little to no gains when the intake first came out. The only real way to know if you are seeing gains is to dyno with and without the intake.....this is if you decide to not take the manufacturer's word regarding gains.

      Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Right, I agree 100%.
      1.4 TSI, UNI 1+

    4. Member Cherb32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2006
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      3,000
      Cars
      16 Jetta S, 08 Rabbit, 06 Touareg
      08-08-2017 10:20 PM #78
      **Update**

      Finally ordered and installed the straight pipe (cut at 18") and another 45 degree elbow...
      Cut a hole through the botto, cover to access the filter.

      I will be rerouting the small coolant hose at a later time. No pinches though so it should last.

      Last addition may be a screen and low profile scoop to direct air at the bottom or fo something with the fog light cover....but this may be enough for now.



      View through driver side wheel well cover:


      View from under the car:

      Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Cherb32; 08-09-2017 at 02:04 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      I'm usually too busy reaching for another beer to pay attention to other cars on the road

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member Cherb32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2006
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      3,000
      Cars
      16 Jetta S, 08 Rabbit, 06 Touareg
      08-09-2017 12:44 AM #79
      After a short drive I noticed that the turbo spool is actually louder. Not bad.

      Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      I'm usually too busy reaching for another beer to pay attention to other cars on the road

    7. Member Cherb32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2006
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      3,000
      Cars
      16 Jetta S, 08 Rabbit, 06 Touareg
      08-09-2017 10:55 PM #80
      After a day of driving, I have noticed I am getting more response from the car (traction control light comes on when I punch it off the line). I think a CAI is the way to go for me.

      Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      I'm usually too busy reaching for another beer to pay attention to other cars on the road

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 3rd, 2016
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      271
      Cars
      2016 Jetta S
      08-09-2017 11:22 PM #81
      I've been contemplating getting the cts turbo one but with my luck I feel like my vw dealer will make a problem out of it (I got the first 3 oil changes/service as part of the deal when I got my car)


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    9. Member Cherb32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2006
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      3,000
      Cars
      16 Jetta S, 08 Rabbit, 06 Touareg
      08-09-2017 11:42 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by seesir View Post
      I've been contemplating getting the cts turbo one but with my luck I feel like my vw dealer will make a problem out of it (I got the first 3 oil changes/service as part of the deal when I got my car)


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah it all depends on the dealership. If they are mod friendly then it wouldnt be a problem. The last time I got an oil change, they looked past my intake. Even made an inspection video.

      https://qkvideo.net/#/service/watch/...8bda4cdb2faec1

      Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      I'm usually too busy reaching for another beer to pay attention to other cars on the road

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2014
      Location
      Chandler, AZ
      Posts
      109
      Cars
      2012 VW Jetta s...low
      08-10-2017 12:21 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by seesir View Post
      I've been contemplating getting the cts turbo one but with my luck I feel like my vw dealer will make a problem out of it (I got the first 3 oil changes/service as part of the deal when I got my car)


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Just go for it!!! Lol. Honestly they can't deny service due to an intake, it's only if you mess with ecu programming or modify any internal changes components of the engine block that can void the warranty. I got the CTS turbo intake and love it. Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that was passed in 1978 I believe. An intake or exhaust will not cause a dealership to automatically prevent you from getting warranty work done on your car. Most dealers will be ok with it but with will plug it into VAGCOM to make sure the ECU wasn't tampered with which will void the warranty! Hope this helps.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    11. 08-15-2017 02:13 PM #84
      So I have 2017 model and haven't had too much luck finding anything at all. So sense the 1.4t has no MAF if shouldn't throw a code for an intake correct? And so far what else can we do to this car?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    12. Member Cherb32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2006
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      3,000
      Cars
      16 Jetta S, 08 Rabbit, 06 Touareg
      08-29-2017 02:17 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by lramos343 View Post
      So I have 2017 model and haven't had too much luck finding anything at all. So sense the 1.4t has no MAF if shouldn't throw a code for an intake correct? And so far what else can we do to this car?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      No it will not throw a code. Check the other threads as there is a list that is developing for aftermarket mods.

      Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      I'm usually too busy reaching for another beer to pay attention to other cars on the road

    13. 08-29-2017 10:56 AM #86
      People really should start checking things like calculated vs. actual mass air flow and clean side vacuum values before wasting money on intakes.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2017
      Location
      NNJ
      Posts
      279
      Cars
      2017 Jetta S A/T 1.4T
      08-29-2017 06:18 PM #87
      Please clarify what this means. I got an intake, and certainly didn't expect a whole lot....However, I also didn't expect the car to be slower and sound like a WRX spaceship. I don't think anyone on earth can claim that these make any power whatsoever - and I don't "buy" the dyno results. This car only makes "power" under 3-4K RPM. If the intake companies wanted to give a more honest dyno sheet, they would show that it probably loses 10+ HP over stock below 3K RPM's. The very RPM's range that make this car worth owning. Just my .02.
      1.4 TSI, UNI 1+

    15. 08-29-2017 08:27 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark17jettaS View Post
      Please clarify what this means.
      It means the intake either flows the amount of cold air required for the state commanded by the engine management system or not - any running state from idle to WOT at all RPMs. There are rare contemporary examples of modded engines making gobs of power needing an intake upgrade. Nothing VW makes falls in this category unless we are talking about high-dollar race stuff. By high-dollar I mean more than the car cost new. Car makers locked in MPG and performance wars since forever figured out the intake part a long time ago. Aftermarket parts sellers continue capitalizing on the prior era's common enthusiast practice of modding or replacing crappy intakes before the car makers figured it out. If you want a real performance hit, do something like this, or what the OP did - I'm sure it flows alot more hot under-hood air than the stocker.

      Last edited by Nadir Point; 08-29-2017 at 08:59 PM.

    16. Member Cherb32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2006
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      3,000
      Cars
      16 Jetta S, 08 Rabbit, 06 Touareg
      08-29-2017 09:28 PM #89
      You're right..hence the pictures from under the car (tons of hot air). I still have low end power unlike others that are experiencing this from the ones bought online. I will admit, I felt the power drop when the intake I made was near the motor (obviously with more hot air). Once I extended it to take air in from the ground, all low end torque is back.

      Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Cherb32; 08-29-2017 at 09:36 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      I'm usually too busy reaching for another beer to pay attention to other cars on the road

    17. Member Cherb32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2006
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      3,000
      Cars
      16 Jetta S, 08 Rabbit, 06 Touareg
      08-29-2017 09:51 PM #90
      Mark, do not expect much from this car overall. There is hardly any aftermarket support regarding performance as this car is simply a point A to B econobox with great gas mileage. Nothing more. I use this car just to get to work and back. You're better off getting a better ROI with a project if you are thinking about dumping a bunch of money into the motor. Or...if you have the money to blow, then by all means have fun with it.

      Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      I'm usually too busy reaching for another beer to pay attention to other cars on the road

    18. 08-29-2017 10:09 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
      It means the intake either flows the amount of cold air required for the state commanded by the engine management system or not - any running state from idle to WOT at all RPMs. There are rare contemporary examples of modded engines making gobs of power needing an intake upgrade. Nothing VW makes falls in this category unless we are talking about high-dollar race stuff.
      True, I would agree. The only time you're going to make big gains on an intake only, is when you already have big power. Case in point, airraid intake I have on the LSA, people consistently get around 30 WHP. But % wise it's nothing crazy. Somewhere around 6% gain.
      2017 Jetta S 5 spd
      2011 CTS - V Wagon

    19. 08-30-2017 02:00 PM #92
      The other cool (not!) thing about most of these aftermarket filters is they are anywhere from moderately to grossly inefficient. That's why they flow better, and also why they are going to help eat up your piston rings and valves faster with the extra dirt they let through.

    20. 09-08-2017 11:50 PM #93
      These intakes are a terrible idea and a waste of money as the stock filter is already a cold air intake. These conical filters have been well known to destroy MAF sensors on older mk4s as they permit a lot more particulates through and despite the lack of such a sensor on the 1.4tsi, it's absolutely going to damage the turbo over time (my TDI ran nothing but the stock filters that work better than the cones and after 466000km the turbo still looks like someone filed it). Considering some are saying it causes a loss of torque in the low end, I would heavily consider the pros and cons here cause it seems to be mostly cons... Re-routing the intake to the bottom is a worse choice as now you are likely to ingest water (saw an Acura with a bottom mounted filter and it looked like it has been submerged in sewage), but as long as you know the risks... well, it's your car to do with as you please. I just know that I'd personally never buy a VW that had a hot air intake like the ones shown here.

      Just my thoughts... I mean no offence, have fun!
      Last edited by Victor Huge; 09-09-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Needed stronger wording

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2017
      Location
      NNJ
      Posts
      279
      Cars
      2017 Jetta S A/T 1.4T
      09-09-2017 01:52 PM #94
      Does anyone live in NJ? I would like to sell my AEM intake. I just did my oil change and decided to remove the intake to retain the stock sound-level. Let me know, I would sell it for less than I bought it. I bought it a few months ago, and it is still perfect condition.
      1.4 TSI, UNI 1+

    22. 09-10-2017 12:42 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark17jettaS View Post
      Does anyone live in NJ? I would like to sell my AEM intake. I just did my oil change and decided to remove the intake to retain the stock sound-level. Let me know, I would sell it for less than I bought it. I bought it a few months ago, and it is still perfect condition.
      Put it in the classifieds. Just fyi, used parts even new, should have a decrease in value no matter how pristine. This is of course if it's not a rare / valuable item.
      2017 Jetta S 5 spd
      2011 CTS - V Wagon

    23. 09-10-2017 04:38 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Victor Huge View Post
      ...despite the lack of such a sensor on the 1.4tsi, it's absolutely going to damage the turbo over time ...
      Yeah, I forgot about the turbo - it's the first thing hit by all that hot, unfiltered air.
      Last edited by Nadir Point; 09-10-2017 at 04:40 PM.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2017
      Location
      NNJ
      Posts
      279
      Cars
      2017 Jetta S A/T 1.4T
      09-10-2017 08:48 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
      Yeah, I forgot about the turbo - it's the first thing hit by all that hot, unfiltered air.
      Yep - I removed the intake. I'll sell it and get tint instead on this "people aquarium". I'll be honest and say I don't trust anything anymore. I wanted Uni-tune, but now i don't even trust that. I feel like it would be a waste of money, and probably revert back to stock performance when the computer gets used to it after a few weeks. I'm now skeptical of everything..but then again, I miss my mustang foxbody...where a set of AFR heads and an E303 Cam for 1,200 bucks total added 75 TIRE SHREDDING HP. A friend of mine cracked his windshield from the torque from 2-3 bolt-ons. Granted mustangs had weak frames...but come on.
      1.4 TSI, UNI 1+

    25. 09-11-2017 12:11 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark17jettaS View Post
      I wanted Uni-tune, but now i don't even trust that. I feel like it would be a waste of money, and probably revert back to stock performance when the computer gets used to it after a few weeks. I'm now skeptical of everything..but then again, I miss my mustang foxbody...where a set of AFR heads and an E303 Cam for 1,200 bucks total added 75 TIRE SHREDDING HP. A friend of mine cracked his windshield from the torque from 2-3 bolt-ons. Granted mustangs had weak frames...but come on.
      How would getting a tune have a "computer gets used to it"? Tunes just last, the computer isn't going to revert back or anything.

      You can't compare an economy car with a huge displacement sports car mod for mod. I can add a simple pulley and gain 100 whp. It's all dependent.
      2017 Jetta S 5 spd
      2011 CTS - V Wagon

    26. Member Chockomon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2005
      Posts
      9,115
      Cars
      '19 Regal Sportback, 18 Rogue, '17 Jetta SE, & '90 Corrado G60
      10-02-2017 03:12 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by kchertal View Post
      I saw the AEM Intake and the bends in it looked just like the 01-05 civic piping, I ordered it on ebay for $31.99 and its a pretty close fit. I did have to shorten the down pipe under the headlight. Also I bent a flat piece metal from the hardware store as a mount.


      http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-05-CIVIC-...19.m1438.l2649
      pictures homie
      2013 Golf R - VWR Intake - Unitronic Stage 2HPFP - SPM TurboBack Exhaust - Autotech Fuel Pump - More to Come
      All mods have been approved and endorsed by Accidental L8 apex

    27. Member oasisqc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 27th, 2016
      Posts
      124
      Cars
      jetta 2016 TSI
      10-16-2017 08:03 PM #100
      -deleted-
      Last edited by oasisqc; 10-16-2017 at 08:20 PM.

    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •