Fourtitude.com - Choosing a new vehicle... for kids sake
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2015/GTI/SE w Lighting PKG, 2000/VW/Jetta
      08-09-2016 04:25 PM #1
      Hello all, I was hesitant to write but as we learn with our little guy the more we ask the less mistakes we make, i guess. Anyways, my wife and I were planning to have kids soon but didn't think THAT soon. The short story is that we purchased a GTI 2 door exactly how i wanted it in January 2015 and our little guy was born this past April. The more I drive the car the more I fall in love with it yet the less practical it has become, so we always use my wife's Jetta. We decided to pay it off and trade it in for an SUV and Ill keep her car for a while. My dilemma is in the future, I'm sure some have been in this issue and how do you accommodate your love of cars to kids? I am thinking of buying an S4 as soon as we pay off the new SUV as we don't like to have two car payments at once if we finance, but I also don't want to run in this issue again in the future. Car suggestions? I am open to other cars... What have you done? What do you drive? If you drive an SUV what are your experiences with it and your kids? Thanks all! Excuse the stupid questions...

-Jerry
      VRSociety #126

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      08-09-2016 05:31 PM #2
      I was always a fan of wagons and had a couple of S4 wagons that would have worked great. Bought an Outback that was also great. Ultimately, my wife got a 4 runner (on her second now) and I bought a Tundra. Now I can't imagine not have a truck or the SUV we use them so much.

Cars
      2013 Kia Soul
      08-11-2016 02:30 PM #3
      We dealt with a 2 door for a year and a half with a kid, and it was annoying. I traded in for a Soul in November and have enjoyed it since. It's no GTI, but I found one with a standard transmission, so it's got that for fun factor. And it's been perfect for the 3 of us, the size and amenities do us well. We don't haul any boats or toys but it does well for my wife's antique business, Costco trips and the like. The size, mileage and cost won for me; I love cars and at times I miss something with more pep, but I also like cheap to own and operate on top of daily effectiveness.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      08-11-2016 11:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      I was always a fan of wagons and had a couple of S4 wagons that would have worked great. Bought an Outback that was also great. Ultimately, my wife got a 4 runner (on her second now) and I bought a Tundra. Now I can't imagine not have a truck or the SUV we use them so much.
      I definitely thought about a wagon but I guess I am picky, the S4 sounds good but there hasnt been a rumor of a new one coming anytime soon. Truck... that is what I was suppose to get but then I test drove the damn GTI for fun and here we are How do you like your Tundra, I have heard that its a thirsty truck. How about reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by damion16v View Post
      We dealt with a 2 door for a year and a half with a kid, and it was annoying. I traded in for a Soul in November and have enjoyed it since. It's no GTI, but I found one with a standard transmission, so it's got that for fun factor. And it's been perfect for the 3 of us, the size and amenities do us well. We don't haul any boats or toys but it does well for my wife's antique business, Costco trips and the like. The size, mileage and cost won for me; I love cars and at times I miss something with more pep, but I also like cheap to own and operate on top of daily effectiveness.
      It is definitely annoying. I wish I wouldve thought about it a bit more and at the very least wouldve gotten a four door.
      VRSociety #126

7. Member
      08-14-2016 09:17 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by magmacarat View Post
      I definitely thought about a wagon but I guess I am picky, the S4 sounds good but there hasnt been a rumor of a new one coming anytime soon. Truck... that is what I was suppose to get but then I test drove the damn GTI for fun and here we are How do you like your Tundra, I have heard that its a thirsty truck. How about reliability?
      One of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Not a single thing has gone wrong in 60k. The thing is a beast and it's hard not to get on the pedal a bit, so gas mileage, how do I put it...sucks ass. The thing is, you forget all that once you driving it.

08-15-2016 02:18 PM #6
      If you drive an SUV what are your experiences with it and your kids? Thanks all! Excuse the stupid questions...

-Jerry
      Even though you are on to pickup trucks and audi-wagons, I'll throw this in there:

The suv route is awesome for care-free packing, road manners, hopping curbs and gravel roads. The flat cargo area is perfect for changing kids.

That is all. Continue to enjoy driving while I hop in this minivan.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

9. Member
      08-16-2016 01:06 PM #7
      We swore that no matter the ease that a mini van can bring, especially toting multiple kids around to sports, that we will never allow one in our house.

08-16-2016 07:36 PM #8
      We swore that no matter the ease that a mini van can bring, especially toting multiple kids around to sports, that we will never allow one in our house.
      Oh there's no way this thing could get in the garage. Too many bikes/kid gear junk.

We have three. I'm convinced that it would be boneheaded of us to go back to anything else as a primary family vehicle for a few more years, at least. Have I told you about the cupholders? They're awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

Cars
      08-16-2016 09:56 PM #9
      One of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Not a single thing has gone wrong in 60k. The thing is a beast and it's hard not to get on the pedal a bit, so gas mileage, how do I put it...sucks ass. The thing is, you forget all that once you driving it.
      Good to hear, a guy around my house has one and got me interested. I will definitely be test driving it

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      Even though you are on to pickup trucks and audi-wagons, I'll throw this in there:

The suv route is awesome for care-free packing, road manners, hopping curbs and gravel roads. The flat cargo area is perfect for changing kids.

That is all. Continue to enjoy driving while I hop in this minivan.
      We are getting an SUV for the wife but I don't think i want to have one too. We are actually researching and shopping for one right now. I only see myself driving a Macan or SQ5 Thats why I thought about a wagon or something else. BUT DEFINITELY no van, my wife won't drive one and even less I will.
      VRSociety #126

12. Member
      08-17-2016 11:19 AM #10
      My wife is on her 2nd 4Runner and they are as solid as they come, get pretty good gas mileage, and are fairly roomy with 3rd row seating. Not as luxurious as other vehicles, but one to consider.

Cars
      Bought not built.
      08-17-2016 11:40 AM #11
      The 2-door thing gets much easier as they get older, so I wouldn't necessarily write off all 2-door cars in the future. My daughter is almost six and we've been using my 2-door and whatever 4-door my wife has to split baby transport duty since birth. It was a bit annoying at first (especially with the infant seat) but now she pretty much just gets in herself and I just have to buckle her in.

we just sold our Tiguan for the GSW, and I think the Tiguan was a little easier to deal with compared to our new GSW. I'm a pretty tall person so the extra height on the SUV made it easier to get her all buckled in compared to the much lower GSW (roof line is low...lower than my MKV).
      Signature.

Cars
      08-17-2016 04:45 PM #12
      My wife is on her 2nd 4Runner and they are as solid as they come, get pretty good gas mileage, and are fairly roomy with 3rd row seating. Not as luxurious as other vehicles, but one to consider.
      I really like the 4Runner. My parents had the previous model when it had the V8 on and I loved driving it when I had a chance. But my wife doesn't seem to be to attracted to it. We really like the Grand Cherokee and it might be the one for her, I'll still force her to drive a few before deciding on one.

Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      The 2-door thing gets much easier as they get older, so I wouldn't necessarily write off all 2-door cars in the future. My daughter is almost six and we've been using my 2-door and whatever 4-door my wife has to split baby transport duty since birth. It was a bit annoying at first (especially with the infant seat) but now she pretty much just gets in herself and I just have to buckle her in.

we just sold our Tiguan for the GSW, and I think the Tiguan was a little easier to deal with compared to our new GSW. I'm a pretty tall person so the extra height on the SUV made it easier to get her all buckled in compared to the much lower GSW (roof line is low...lower than my MKV).
      So far I have forced myself to have the seat in the car. It has worked better than I thought. I am reconsidering trading it in for something else... I think I really like this car and can't let it go so soon . I know with another kid in the future I will have to get something more family friendly.
      VRSociety #126

15. Member
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      08-17-2016 05:12 PM #13
      My dilemma is in the future, I'm sure some have been in this issue and how do you accommodate your love of cars to kids?
      I am 50, married 20 yrs, 4 kids. I know this dilemma...know it very, very well. I've had to adjust/adapt many times over the last 17 yrs of parenting.

Before marriage/kids my DDs were Integra Type Rs, GTIs, Probe GTs, Mustang 5.0 GTs, Prelude Si's and so on...

Now the only way i know how to "accommodate" is to own multiple cars:
      My wife/soccer mom drives a Pilot, and drove Oddy's for a dozen yrs prior.
      I drive a 330i zhp, an A3 3.2Q, and an S2000 whenever I feel like putting the top down.
      I have another A3 for my kids who rotate that with 330. (to learn a manual)

Cars
      13 Highlander Hybrid Limited, 06 Miata Sport, 05 Sienna LE, 02 Ninja 250
      08-17-2016 07:00 PM #14
      first a bit of a slap.

you DONT NEED an SUV to accommodate 1 kid.
      especially when you ALREADY have a 2nd car that can easily carry the kid.
      IMO 2dr while harder are fine for the occasional carry of the kid. if you are taking them every day in that 2dr, maybe not.

next.
      4dr hatches are fine. wagons are the same with slightly more room.
      but still IMO, if you already have one designated 'family car', then why does it matter if the 2nd car has 2 doors?

lastly.
      if THE WHOLE REST OF YOUR LIFE tells you that an SUV or minivan would make sense, then great. get one.
      i finally broke down and got one to designate as the family car... now one or both of us can get any other 2nd or 3rd (or 4th) car we want to afford. gti, 911, accord, s4, mazda6, etc... anything.

BUT...
      i only made the decision to stop using wagons and go to a minivan because we actually would often utilize (like weekly) that larger vehicle because we are way beyond JUST the 1 kid.
      we have 2 kids. plus 2 50# dogs. and on weekends, when we drive most, we also have grandma and her 30# dog. home depot, costco, dog parks, and long road trips galore (we just got back from 2 weeks, 4,000 miles)

so now its not just 2 adults and 1 kid. its 3 adults, 2 kids, and 3 moderately sized dogs...plus cargo.
      we still fit in the JSW and Saab 9-5sc... but the minivan makes it easier.

Cars
      08-17-2016 07:04 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      Have I told you about the cupholders? They're awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      and there are like 20 of them

in the front seating alone of the Sienna I have access to 8 cupholders that I can reach from the drivers seat alone!! no hydration issues here.

Cars
      08-22-2016 04:23 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      first a bit of a slap.

you DONT NEED an SUV to accommodate 1 kid.
      especially when you ALREADY have a 2nd car that can easily carry the kid.
      IMO 2dr while harder are fine for the occasional carry of the kid. if you are taking them every day in that 2dr, maybe not.

next.
      4dr hatches are fine. wagons are the same with slightly more room.
      but still IMO, if you already have one designated 'family car', then why does it matter if the 2nd car has 2 doors?

lastly.
      if THE WHOLE REST OF YOUR LIFE tells you that an SUV or minivan would make sense, then great. get one.
      i finally broke down and got one to designate as the family car... now one or both of us can get any other 2nd or 3rd (or 4th) car we want to afford. gti, 911, accord, s4, mazda6, etc... anything.

BUT...
      i only made the decision to stop using wagons and go to a minivan because we actually would often utilize (like weekly) that larger vehicle because we are way beyond JUST the 1 kid.
      we have 2 kids. plus 2 50# dogs. and on weekends, when we drive most, we also have grandma and her 30# dog. home depot, costco, dog parks, and long road trips galore (we just got back from 2 weeks, 4,000 miles)

so now its not just 2 adults and 1 kid. its 3 adults, 2 kids, and 3 moderately sized dogs...plus cargo.
      we still fit in the JSW and Saab 9-5sc... but the minivan makes it easier.
      Here is why we need a bigger vehicle. The "dedicated" car barely fits stroller and other minor things. This past weekend we left on a two hour drive and this is what we put, stroller, a small duffel bag with some clothes, inflatable mattress, a couple of little bags my wife took, an emergency kit that came in the GTI when purchased and a rock-n-play or whatever its called. Thats all it fit. My sister in law came with us too and her duffel bag had to be put in the car because it just didnt fit. So yes, we need a bigger vehicle, we are also very active and this has stopped us from doing so, not bad though, but the dogs have had to stay a couple of times.

The reason i considered a wagon was because I do not want an SUV as a daily, and having that extra room is great, yet I have a "small" car. AS of my wifes car been the "designated" vehicle, well it was forced in that direction because of the 4-doors, but it is an older car that makes almost no sense to use more than the new one, especially when traveling out of town.

As of a minivan. Never
      VRSociety #126

19. Member
      Cars
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      08-22-2016 04:47 PM #17
      "As of a minivan. Never"
      ...said about 10M American males right before they drove off the lot in their Oddy or Sienna.

Cars
      08-22-2016 05:17 PM #18
      AS of my wifes car been the "designated" vehicle, well it was forced in that direction because of the 4-doors, but it is an older car that makes almost no sense to use more than the new one, especially when traveling out of town.

As of a minivan. Never
      THIS says to me that your wifes car should get replaced, not yours. unless its a money thing where the budget wont support two newer vehicles. i get that is sometimes unavoidable.

you love your car. your wifes car is 'too old' to use as the family car.
      seems to me that even if you buy yourself a newer wagon to use as the family car, unless you leave it with the kids... the kids will still be getting into the wifes car on the regular.
      why not just upgrade the wifes car to a larger vehicle?

for us what made sense is to have the dedicated minivan that 'stays with the kids' so to speak, so that whoever needs to drive the kids somewhere just takes the van. me, wife, nanny.
      i guess MAYBE that will change a few years down the line when the kids are going to different activities, schools... but thats likely 5 yrs away, if not further. and at that point, i have no issues making my 7-9yr olds jump in the back seat of any 2door i want.
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 08-22-2016 at 05:22 PM.

21. 08-29-2016 03:20 AM #19
      My wife has a Golf 4 door and it's been fine for 2 kids. The hatchback is great, it permanently holds a small stroller and she still has room for whatever else she needs.

You can fit one kid in almost anything though.

Now that kid number 3 is on the way for us it's time for a minivan. SUV's just don't have the utility and space unless you go with the behemoths, and then you have bad mileage and driving a huge vehicle to contend with. I never wanted a minivan but it makes sense as a family vehicle, lots of space, can move through the interior to deal with kids even when driving, can get everyone in through either side (great when parking on busy streets), etc.. We rented one in Florida last year and immediately saw why people with families drive those things.

I'm going to deal with it by keeping a fun car.

Cars
      02-22-2017 05:36 PM #20
      I have to admit I over reacted. The car (GTI) is basically paid off and Im keeping it, upgrading my wife's car as planned and yeah, we will be getting an SUV but like I mentioned before, it is her car so I would hate for her to tell me what I can/can't drive and thats the main reason for the SUV.

We test drove about 6 different vehicles and the more we drove them the more we felt that the SUV was really the way to go. Perhaps we don't need a big vehicle, but for us we feel its the best choice. Thank you all for the suggestions and a few slaps on the wrist. The new car will be arriving by the end of this month and we are really excited for it.
      VRSociety #126

Cars
      02-22-2017 06:55 PM #21
      I have to admit I over reacted. The car (GTI) is basically paid off and Im keeping it, upgrading my wife's car as planned and yeah, we will be getting an SUV but like I mentioned before, it is her car so I would hate for her to tell me what I can/can't drive and thats the main reason for the SUV.

We test drove about 6 different vehicles and the more we drove them the more we felt that the SUV was really the way to go. Perhaps we don't need a big vehicle, but for us we feel its the best choice. Thank you all for the suggestions and a few slaps on the wrist. The new car will be arriving by the end of this month and we are really excited for it.
      very glad to hear this.
      becoming a new parent, people tend to change a lot of things as a knee jerk reaction. i did the same. i traded in the only car i have ever bought new. with a new kid, i wanted to make lots of room in the budget. turns out, i really didnt need to be so worried.

its good to see that you got to keep a car you really have an attachment to.

its also good to see that the wifes car will be upgraded. more from a perspective of it being quite old, vs. me thinking it didnt fit the job enough.

too bad you are going SUV instead of wagon though. but thats personal preference. and at this point i get you didnt want/need a minivan, and thats fine as well.

Cars
      02-22-2017 07:23 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      very glad to hear this.
      becoming a new parent, people tend to change a lot of things as a knee jerk reaction. i did the same. i traded in the only car i have ever bought new. with a new kid, i wanted to make lots of room in the budget. turns out, i really didnt need to be so worried.

its good to see that you got to keep a car you really have an attachment to.

its also good to see that the wifes car will be upgraded. more from a perspective of it being quite old, vs. me thinking it didnt fit the job enough.

too bad you are going SUV instead of wagon though. but thats personal preference. and at this point i get you didnt want/need a minivan, and thats fine as well.
      Thanks a lot for you input, it helped to bring my head down and reanalyze a few priorities. The truth is that even though we are a small family, in her car we were crammed, a 2hr trip to visit the in-laws would require quite a bit with the stroller and dogs kennels and other stuff. Xmas, man that was a trouble w gifts and all the things we needed for us, I think this will give us a lot of flexibility to carry more things and more people if needed. As for the wagon, I tried, trust me, but she didnt like any, i also think she wanted to sit higher and a car/wagon was not gonna cut it. Minivan... she admitted after we had given the new car deposit that she liked the new 2018 Odyssey, go figure...
      VRSociety #126

Cars
      02-22-2017 07:57 PM #23
      Minivan... she admitted after we had given the new car deposit that she liked the new 2018 Odyssey, go figure...
      haha, aint that always the way??