Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2019 Golf R
      05-23-2003 10:33 PM #76
      Louis- I actually don't need the plastic connector. I just need to cut out two of the blades out of pretty much any connector from the car. I believe it is one for a 14AWG wire.
      Anyhow, if I see the harness I'd be able to tell you what I'm looking for, I'll have to let you know when I'll be in town. The work schedule has been really hectic lately so I may be out of town until early June. That's when my new turbo is due to arrive anyway .
      I'd love to check out your project sometime, looks like it is coming along really well!

Modified by CRD99 at 4:54 PM 6-15-2003

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      04 Jetta TDI, 97 Porsche C2S, 96 Porsche Targa, 03 Porsche Boxster
      05-26-2003 09:15 PM #77
      I haven't posted much for awhile. Wiring harness modification doesn't make for very interesting posts. I have the car rewired from the switches to the right of the dash clockwise around the car to the drivers seat. This allowed me to get the back of the car together and get the stuff off the roof. Now it looks more like a car again and less like garage furniture.
      There are a lot of issues that come up using the whole car harness from the mkIV. For instance the mkIV flasher is in the switch, the mkII flasher is on the relay panel, so you are left with no flasher. I had to mount the mkII flasher in-line behind the switch. The rear wiper/washer is a pain, the motors and switches are totally different between the mkII and mkIV. I got the relay panel mounted up to the studs that were already there under the dash support. I just used a piece of 3/8ths strap to fab a mount. Sorry, I forgot to take a pic before I put it in the car. The fuse panel will go right in front of the relay panel.
      Here's a pic

I am getting the harness routed around the engine bay. After I figure out where everything is going to go I'll get the harness sealed up and secured. I've been hitting the junkyards trying to get mounting bits. There aren't many mkIVs in the yards and most of the stuff gets busted up when they YANK the engine out. I got the corrosion cleaned up around under the battery. I know, I should have painted it green but this car is for go not for show.

This doesn't relate to the swap but while I had the car stripped out I finally got the brackets for the corrado rear seats welded in. Don't laugh at my welds, I'm an engineer not a welder.
      The inside mount is the one from the corrado. It had to be moved in because the corrado seat is narrower. I didn't take the original out because ... I'm lazy?

Here you can see the mounts for the center and lower corners of the seat backs and for the center thingy.

And here is the rear seat back in the car.

4. 05-26-2003 10:14 PM #78
      how much is this setting you back?
      im looking at a 1.8T swap as well. can you throw out some numbers for what you have so far? im trying to collect as much info about the 1.8T swaps as i can because im looking to swap one next spring/summer.
      great clean work by the way! keep it up [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Cars
      05-26-2003 11:35 PM #79
      Quote, originally posted by VW_GolfFreak »
      how much is this setting you back?
      im looking at a 1.8T swap as well. can you throw out some numbers for what you have so far? im trying to collect as much info about the 1.8T swaps as i can because im looking to swap one next spring/summer.
      great clean work by the way! keep it up [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Thanks. I'm keeping all my receipts but haven't taken the time to tally it up. As I have said elsewhere this is nickle and dimeing and $100 billing me to death. Here is some rough numbers No criticism please, if you can get some stuff cheaper elsewhere that's cool.
      2003 1.8T and O2J trans with engine harness and stuff ~$3100 shipped.
      Other stuff from the donor car like pedal assembly, steering column, whole car harness, extra instrument cluster, ... $800.
      Quaife $1050 installed.
      ~$600 for OEM vw stuff and junk yard stuff like A/C fittings, metric hardware, custom PS hoses, motor mounts, ...
      I have ~$900 worth of suspension beef-up stuff, steering wheel, shift knob, ... on order from TM Tuning.
      I'm planning on $1000 for a FMIC setup, $1200 for axles and then I hope to be about there.
      $8650? Of course the Quaife is optional and about $600 of the TM Tuning stuff is optional. The axles I'm getting are premo. Subtracting that stuff gets down to about $5800?
      If you count the $1500 I have invested in the corrado interior, ~$300 in e-windows and mirrors, ~$1300 in brakes, ~$1100 in wheels and tires, ~$800 in suspension, ~$400 in lights, ... it's a pretty expensive $4000 car huh? I paid $3k for it last November. All that plus the swap is $17150, I wish you hadn't asked.
      I think I might need to go to vw modaholics. I lost ~$15k on the mkIV GTI I sold last September. Check my sig.

Modified by VR6GTI'00' at 3:43 AM 5-27-2003

7. 05-26-2003 11:39 PM #80
      oh geez! i wish i hadnt either
      i wish 1.8Ts came stock for MKIII... MKIII's are my weakness!
      Quote »
      Other stuff from the donor car like pedal assembly, steering column, whole car harness, extra instrument cluster, ... $800.

i was expecting around that though
      so what would i just need for the swap? forget the optional stuff i want right to the point.
      (sorry for bugging you but you seem to be the only one that is helping me out with the research) next time im in Utah ill come down check the car out and buy you a 24 or 28 of nice canadian beer for the trouble of me picking your brain

Modified by VW_GolfFreak at 9:42 PM 5-26-2003

Modified by VW_GolfFreak at 9:45 PM 5-26-2003

8. Member
      Cars
      05-26-2003 11:48 PM #81
      Quote, originally posted by VW_GolfFreak »
      ... so what would i just need for the swap? forget the optional stuff i want right to the point.

I forgot to mention exhaust in the post above. Add another $500-$700
      There are so many variables that I couldn't tell you. If you are set on a 1.8T and you are concerned about money get one of the earliest ones, 98 or 99, and buy the whole donor car. I can't tell you what that would cost because I haven't done it. I know Matrix will install one for you for ~$6500.

9. 05-26-2003 11:55 PM #82
      6500 for labour? or everything?

Cars
      87 Jetta (1.8T), 82 Rabbit Pickup 16V
      05-27-2003 10:38 PM #83
      This is an excellent series of posts, I've read through this material numerous times and have decided I'm ready to give this a try. I've found a good donor car that I'm planning to drag home and start dismantling. I'm particularly interested in the MKIV cluster inside the MKII dash, keep the pics and info coming... this is excellent... [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

11. 05-28-2003 02:40 PM #84
      Quote, originally posted by VR6GTI'00' »
      Thanks. I'm keeping all my receipts but haven't taken the time to tally it up. As I have said elsewhere this is nickle and dimeing and $100 billing me to death. Here is some rough numbers No criticism please, if you can get some stuff cheaper elsewhere that's cool.
      Quaife $1050 installed.
      ~$600 for OEM vw stuff and junk yard stuff like A/C fittings, metric hardware, custom PS hoses, motor mounts, ...
      I have ~$900 worth of suspension beef-up stuff, steering wheel, shift knob, ... on order from TM Tuning.
      I'm planning on $1000 for a FMIC setup, $1200 for axles and then I hope to be about there.
      $8650? Of course the Quaife is optional and about $600 of the TM Tuning stuff is optional. The axles I'm getting are premo. Subtracting that stuff gets down to about $5800?
      If you count the $1500 I have invested in the corrado interior, ~$300 in e-windows and mirrors, ~$1300 in brakes, ~$1100 in wheels and tires, ~$800 in suspension, ~$400 in lights, ... it's a pretty expensive $4000 car huh? I paid $3k for it last November. All that plus the swap is $17150, I wish you hadn't asked.
      I think I might need to go to vw modaholics. I lost ~$15k on the mkIV GTI I sold last September. Check my sig.

Modified by VR6GTI'00' at 3:43 AM 5-27-2003

it's not a cheap swap by any means...I have an excel file of everything i bought for mine...i haven't updated in a while, but it's over $19k from starting with nothing to having a mkII 1.8T......once i do a turbo upgrade...i'll be over MKIV MSRP

12. Banned
      05-30-2003 03:44 AM #85
      Quote, originally posted by scarywoody »
      it's not a cheap swap by any means...I have an excel file of everything i bought for mine...i haven't updated in a while, but it's over $19k from starting with nothing to having a mkII 1.8T......once i do a turbo upgrade...i'll be over MKIV MSRP
      i'm going to do this also [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

13. Member
      Cars
      05-31-2003 10:01 PM #86
      Today I got the exhaust installed. The 2.5" SS cat back is from Techtonics Tuning. It's an excellent product, very nice workmanship and fit.
      The mkIV douwnpipe worked ... mostly. I said in an earlier post the after-cat O2 sensor was hitting the floor. I spent about two hours carefully grinding away the front 3/4s of the weld around the sensor fitting so I could bend it to reduce the angle. I got it welded back in place and put it in the car. Then the downpipe fit further up into the tunnel both O2 sensors hit the floor. I took the downpipe back out of the car and carefully adjusted both sensors with a hammer. NOW they fit.
      Here is some pics of the exhaust. Not too much room under the car for photos. There are two resonators, one right behind the cat

and one right before the pipe that goes over the rear axle beam.

Here is the Borla muffler that comes with the system. I got an SS oval tip but it isn't installed yet. When I'm sure nothing leaks or rattles I'll put it on.

Earlier I posted about the brake fitting trouble. I found a line that has a 10mm fitting on one end and a 12mm fitting on the other end. It is the driver's side front line from the ABS to the tee in the wheelwell. The problem is the line is about 20 inches longer than it needs to be for an adapter. I haven't found anyone in town yet who can make a bubble flare to shorten it. I've got a brake line maze going here. It will be a miracle if it doesn't leak.

I put the radiator on to see what was going to happen there. Right off the fan conflicts wth the coolant hose. Stay tuned for the yet-to-be-determined solution.

Cars
      90 corrado 20/20 haldex, 2003 jetta
      06-01-2003 05:09 AM #87
      change your fan to a universal one.
      It was the easiest way for me.
      keep up the work!!
      Will you be at waterfest? Hope to see you there!

15. Member
      Cars
      06-06-2003 02:26 AM #88
      Quote, originally posted by VRT »
      change your fan to a universal one.
      It was the easiest way for me.
      keep up the work!!
      Will you be at waterfest? Hope to see you there!

Thanks. I took your advice on the fan. Waterfest is a bit out of my neighborhood.
      This week the parts are trickling in and my money is gushing out. I had to buy a bunch of vw OEM parts and that hurt my wallet. I got a mkII FMIC from Futrell, great guys and the product looks good. The tubing came from Burns Stainless. It looks good but geez that stuff is expensive (not just at Burns, everywhere). I also ordered 2.25" clamps but the ID is 2.25". DOH!! They won't go over the silicon.
      Come on weekend, I'm excited to see if I can get this FMIC installed in two days. I also found a good tip on a tubing site for putting a lip on the tubes. Stay tuned.

Modified by VR6GTI'00' at 6:30 AM 6-6-2003

06-06-2003 11:21 AM #89
      looking good!
      When trying to do these swaps and maintain an OEM style approach, it sure does get costly at the dealer. I'm way over budget on my project, and it's not even rolling yet
      I'd like to know what site you found that lip forming info on.

17. Member
      Cars
      06-06-2003 12:52 PM #90
      Quote, originally posted by 1.8TsyncroB3 »
      ... I'd like to know what site you found that lip forming info on.

I got the idea from Road Race Engineering. I think I can make a nice die on one side of the vice grip jaws with a matching notch on the other side using the bench grinder and dremel. If one works carefully around the tube I think it will come out pretty nice. Definitely not for volume!

Cars
      2011 Kink Gap Xl, 2000 Haro Blammo,'08 Gti
      06-06-2003 03:48 PM #91
      sweet [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Cars
      lots of German cars
      06-07-2003 01:34 AM #92
      Awe.. I remember that day!

Looks like its coming along!
      Nice choice on the Intercooler BTW
      '91 GTI 1.8T
      Swap Pics
      '97 M3/4 SC
      '02 337 GTI

06-07-2003 04:27 AM #93
      I should have known!
      I have a similar tool in my arsenal for producing a step on sheetmetal when doing patches and such. It works in much the same way as the visegrip tool shown here. Just another reason to keep those old worn out visegrips!

21. Member
      Cars
      06-07-2003 11:40 PM #94
      The lip bender tool works pretty good. Thanks Road Race Engineering for the tip. It takes awhile to work the lip on. I move about 1/2 a grip width each time I clamp the grip and work around the tube three times tightening the grips 1/4 turn each time.

I got a start on the tubing to the FMIC. I used the OEM tube so I could keep the fittings and used one of the OEM hoses because is has a bit of an S to get over and around the intake side.

Cars
      89 golf
      06-12-2003 01:10 AM #95

GHETTO!!!!!

23. Senior Member
      Cars
      I own a wish-list. In four shades of blue.
      06-13-2003 04:14 PM #96
      Quote, originally posted by VR6GTI'00' »
      You would have to hook up the comfort system with all the door processors. The receiver for the remote unlock is is the central unit and it unlocks the doors over the CAN bus (on the 2003 at least). It's too much trouble for me without the donor car. I'll carry two keys or use an alarm remote.

I'm probably going to be doing this modification with my swap. I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested. You're right, having the whole donor car is nice.
      I'm having some trouble finding it in this thread...where did you say you got that 02A front tranny mount? I'm going to need one so I can fit an 02J into my mk3.
      thanks,
      jim
      My car
      and its identity crisis
      I dodged a bullet there. Note to self: cease fire.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” — Mario Andretti

24. 06-13-2003 04:34 PM #97
      Quote, originally posted by Montanagreenmachine »
      Awe.. I remember that day!

Looks like its coming along!
      Nice choice on the Intercooler BTW

yeah good memories

25. 06-13-2003 04:36 PM #98
      Quote, originally posted by v_dubguy2004 »
      GHETTO!!!!!

Yah, but it looks like it did a pretty good job.....nothing like ghetto engineering!

26. Member
      Cars
      06-13-2003 05:55 PM #99
      Quote, originally posted by punkassjim »
      I'm probably going to be doing this modification with my swap. I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested. You're right, having the whole donor car is nice.
      I'm having some trouble finding it in this thread...where did you say you got that 02A front tranny mount? I'm going to need one so I can fit an 02J into my mk3.
      thanks,
      jim

I want to keep the mkII dash so I had a lot of trouble with the whole car mkIV harness into the mkII. Getting from the mkIV harness to the mkII switches is a slow process. You have to really work out the details of the circuits for both cars in order to get it to work. If you use the mkIV dash and switches it will simplify the electronics but probably complicates the mechanics.
      I bought the O2A trans mount stuff from the dealer.
      The trans mount to the crossmember is 357 199 353 A
      The support from the top of the trans is 357 199 356
      I used the Corrado rubber mount 3A0 199 402

27. Member
      Cars
      06-15-2003 01:54 AM #100
      This is discouraging! At this rate I ought to have this running buy Christmas. Today I got the FMIC in but the outlet still conflicts with the tow hook. I think I'm going to have to cut it off and re-weld it. There is a bit of trimming required on the bumper rebar to get the FMIC to fit in front of the AC condenser. Yeh ... I drilled some holes to bolt up the FMIC but they were off the end of the cooler. Doh! Measure twice and cut once as Norm always says.

After two days I got about another foot of tube installed. Do I sound discouraged? I just ordered the vw OEM thrust sensor for $165 and a new AC condenser for $135. Ching Ching$$$$ !!! Scarywoody ... aren't you due for a vacation to beautiful Utah? Why don't you trip on over here and finish off this plumbing for me?

I should have just ordered the R32!

Modified by VR6GTI'00' at 6:10 AM 6-15-2003

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast