Fourtitude.com - Best sites for travel/hotels?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      03 SVT Focus
      07-19-2016 10:44 PM #1
      Seems a bit overwhelming with all of the travel sites online now a days. What sites have the best deals and are the easiest to use?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '14 ATS, '14 335i GT
      07-20-2016 12:13 AM #2
      Airfare - Hipmunk does an awesome job combining the price factor and the time factor. Don't forget to cross-check Southwest since they don't show up on booking sites.

Hotels - I've long been a fan of the blind booking sites (i.e. Hotwire, Priceline). Do your research in advance on neighborhoods, stay away from anything less than 3 stars, and you'll pay far less then booking the old fashioned way if you're comfortable with the random factor. This works best for non-resort trips - if you're looking for the place with the nicest pool in a resort town, blind booking is probably not the best idea.

Note that in general and outside of the blind sites, you should always book straight from the source. There is no benefit in booking a Delta flight or a Hilton stay from Travelocity. Use the travel aggregators to sort by price, then go to the source website and book. You'll get more flexibility in your reservation and it shouldn't be more expensive. Hotels reservations should allow cancellation up to 24 or 48 hours in advance. Car reservations should be non-binding.
      | 2014 Cadillac ATS Performance | 2014 BMW 335i GT |

07-20-2016 12:16 AM #3
      Skyscanner.com accounts for the discount airlines usually left out by Kayak

google.com/flights is my go to to plot my trips since it has the easiest to understand interface

Hotels.com gives you a complimentary night after 10 nights. When you travel often, and in groups this leads to big savings

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

07-20-2016 12:18 AM #4
      Oh and carrentalsavers.com has saved me $1000s over the years

Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      07-20-2016 08:14 AM #5
      Stay away from Expedia. Was on a motorcycle trip when friend hit a deer and needed to be hospitalized. I canceled the rooms we pre booked, it was a big hassle getting my refund.

Cars
      15 Outback 3.6R
      07-20-2016 09:26 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      Note that in general and outside of the blind sites, you should always book straight from the source. There is no benefit in booking a Delta flight or a Hilton stay from Travelocity. Use the travel aggregators to sort by price, then go to the source website and book. You'll get more flexibility in your reservation and it shouldn't be more expensive. Hotels reservations should allow cancellation up to 24 or 48 hours in advance. Car reservations should be non-binding.
      This. There's nothing worse than trying to change or cancel a hotel or flight booked through some random online travel agent.

The only exception is if you're doing something like a Priceline prepaid "name your price". I do that occasionally for airport hotels when I don't want to deal with rush hour for a morning flight. I've figured out how to game Priceline's "name your price" to figure out the lowest price for the airport hotels I use.

Cars
      03 SVT Focus
      07-20-2016 09:34 AM #7
      Tried Trivago two weeks ago and while I know rooms change I didn't expect that they would go up 300.00 a night....Seems like a scam to me.

Cars
      15 Outback 3.6R
      07-20-2016 09:42 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      Tried Trivago two weeks ago and while I know rooms change I didn't expect that they would go up 300.00 a night....Seems like a scam to me.
      The pricing is completely tied to inventory. If a hotel has a bunch of empty rooms, they'll dump them to the internet travel agencies to try to get bodies in those empty rooms even if it's at a discounted price. The problem is that it's really hard as a consumer to know when they're going to do it, how long they're going to do it, and how the price will change. If you book the same hotels fairly frequently, you can start to pick up the pattern. I know roughly how they do it for 4 and 5 star hotels at Boston/Logan Airport. They don't want their customers to figure it out because they're trying to get you to pay the highest price they can get from you, not the lowest. Airline pricing works the same way. It's intentionally designed to look random and arbitrary.

Cars
      '14 ATS, '14 335i GT
      07-20-2016 09:45 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      I've figured out how to game Priceline's "name your price" to figure out the lowest price for the airport hotels I use.
      Ooh, what's your game? I use the free rebid (normally not allowed unless you change an element of your bid such as date or location). Technique:

1. Find all neighborhoods in the city that don't have a hotel with at least as many stars as what you're looking for.
      2. Bid super low.
      3. Increment each successive bid by $5 while adding a zone that does not have any applicable hotels.
      4. Profit.
      | 2014 Cadillac ATS Performance | 2014 BMW 335i GT |

Cars
      Fake Rich C300 & Insight 3.0
      07-20-2016 10:13 AM #10
      I just browse online for discount codes and fire away. CIT for Citigroup works at most Marriott properties and I've never been asked to present company ID. I guess it's a bit of a risk but it hasn't burned me so far

Lacking a discount hotel I just choose a local Starwood property for the points.

13. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q
      07-20-2016 11:02 AM #11
      Seems a bit overwhelming with all of the travel sites online now a days. What sites have the best deals and are the easiest to use?
      In reality, most of the major online sites have been bought up.

From personal experience, I would avoid Hotels.com and Booking.com. My wife cancelled a reservation from Hotels.com, who didn't cancel the hotel reservation, and the hotel was trying to bill us for a stay we never did.

Booking.com is a s**tshow on greasy wheels on a pink shag carpet. For my wife's trip to Europe, she reserved a room at a 4-star hotel for dirt cheap. A few weeks later, when finalizing the plans, she looked up the reservation. It was nowhere to be found. Booking.com said she never reserved it for this time. Their records showed she had reservations back in January (trip was in April). Her online account was blank. However, she had a copy&paste of the confirmation page... and the dates were wrong. She then called the hotel in Europe, who said they didn't have a reservation for the planned time. My wife asked if they had the reservation from January, and they said no. Booking.com totally denied making the wrong reservation... they didn't make any at all. Just took the money.

After my wife got off the phone with Booking.com, her account page had magically refreshed and it included the January reservation. And we had 3 different computers with her account screen open. F**king Booking dot NO.
      Making people aware of the Dunning-Kruger affliction. If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious

SRT_______________________________________________ ___________SRT

Cars
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i /2016 Ford Explorer/Previous 2013 & 2011 JSW TDI/97 Jetta
      07-20-2016 11:55 AM #12
      To counter the HOTELS.com issue, I had the opposite results and no hesitation to use for the next trip.

I would suggest thou, using the group sites that you go to the direct site for the hotel and see if they have a better deal (not unusual)
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i - 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
      **GONE VW #DasPolluter 2013 JSW TDI Oo>=====v=====<oO 2011 Kia Optima SX(Turbo)/2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4/2011 JSW TDI/2006 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 V8/2001 Focus wagon/2001 Ford Escape/97 Jetta GT

15. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      diesels, and an mg
      07-20-2016 02:45 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by cwescapexlt4x4 View Post
      To counter the HOTELS.com issue, I had the opposite results and no hesitation to use for the next trip.
      same here, ive been using them for a long time, no complaints.
      The All New! -- SpitfireEFI.com | Flickr

Cars
      2013 Volt
      07-20-2016 03:03 PM #14
      Don't forget to cross-check Southwest since they don't show up on booking sites.
      Yes, but Southwest is lower on my list. Delta, United, JetBlue, Southwest, American, Frontier. Never had the opportunity to use Alaska or Hawaiian. I will NEVER use Spirit, Allegiant, USA3000, or Sun Country. Ever. I ****ing hate American, but they're still orders of magnitude better than Spirit, etc.

I use Kayak to compare fares, then usually book directly through the airline. The exception is when Kayak can put together different airlines to get the times I want - on a recent trip I went there via United and came back via Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Kayak
      google.com/flights is my go to to plot my trips since it has the easiest to understand interface
      Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Booking.com is a s**tshow on greasy wheels on a pink shag carpet. For my wife's trip to Europe, she reserved a room at a 4-star hotel for dirt cheap. A few weeks later, when finalizing the plans, she looked up the reservation. It was nowhere to be found. Booking.com said she never reserved it for this time. Their records showed she had reservations back in January (trip was in April). Her online account was blank. However, she had a copy&paste of the confirmation page... and the dates were wrong. She then called the hotel in Europe, who said they didn't have a reservation for the planned time. My wife asked if they had the reservation from January, and they said no. Booking.com totally denied making the wrong reservation... they didn't make any at all. Just took the money.

I had a similar experience in Europe with 'eDreams' for a same-day flight. They did eventually refund my money, and buying a walk-up ticket from Swiss was the same price as getting ****ed by the aggregator. Several people at the airport sympathetically told me that eDreams was '...so bad!' Won't use them again.

For hotels, in the US I always go directly to Hilton.com (or HHonors.com) and pick a Hilton property. An exception is New York City, where I like little boutique hotels if they have good prices (Pod 39, the YoTel, the Moderne). In Europe, I look for local 4-stars first, then Accor properties (Ibis, Mercure, Sofitel, Novotel).

17. Member
      Cars
      2015 Fiesta ST
      07-20-2016 03:42 PM #15
      www.reddit.com/r/churning if you don't want to pay (or as much) for travel

18. Member
      Cars
      2017 Buick LaCrosse; 2016 GMC Acadia SLT
      07-20-2016 04:06 PM #16
      I never use a booking site, but to be fair, my business travel usually involves going to one of the same two or three cities, so I know which hotels I'm willing to stay at. I bring up 4 windows and look at the price between the Hyatt, the various hotels in the Hilton group, the hotels within the Marriott group and the hotels within the IHG group. I prioritize based on my preference and see what the prices are for my preferred hotels. I'll pick the one that is the best value to me from those four choices.

Now, if I were going to a city I'm unfamiliar with, I'd probably go with trivago or a similar site, narrow down the choices and then go directly to the hotel's website for booking.

Cars
      15 Outback 3.6R
      07-20-2016 04:31 PM #17
      Ooh, what's your game? I use the free rebid (normally not allowed unless you change an element of your bid such as date or location). Technique:

1. Find all neighborhoods in the city that don't have a hotel with at least as many stars as what you're looking for.
      2. Bid super low.
      3. Increment each successive bid by $5 while adding a zone that does not have any applicable hotels.
      4. Profit.
      That's part of it. I also use multiple PCs, accounts, and web browsers.

The Hyatt and Hilton are the only four star hotels at Logan. You never get the Hilton. As you say, add in zones that don't have four star hotels and you eventually get the lowest possible price for the Hyatt.

I often do that when I'm taking the Boston/London-Heathrow morning flight.

Cars
      Six Speed Earth Dreamer
      07-23-2016 09:59 AM #18
      In general my first and often only choice is Priceline.
      You have to use the "name your own price" tool to get good deals.
      For hotels start at $35 and cars $10.
      You might have to bid over a few days as you only get three bids a day (there are ways to get around that, look it up) and that's fine if you have a few days.
      I've literally paid $35 a night for a hotel that had their lowest cost room at $180 if you book through them.
      At times the "Express Deals" tool is just as good.
      DO NOT BE DISTRACTED BY THE FRONT PAGE PRICES. YOU HAVE TO BID OR USE EXPRESS DEALS.
      I cannot possibly advocate that enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

07-23-2016 12:20 PM #19
      All of these sites are owned by 2 companies. Expedia owns Orbtiz, Travelocity, Trivago and Priceline owns the rest.

Cars
      03 SVT Focus
      07-25-2016 09:17 PM #20
      Really wish that mods informed posters before then just moved threads.

Cars
      Six Speed Earth Dreamer
      07-26-2016 04:08 AM #21
      Really wish that mods informed posters before then just moved threads.
      Generally you only find out when you go to check your thread and realise that nobodies posted in it since you last saw it. Or that's at least how I always find out.

Cars
      03 SVT Focus
      07-26-2016 10:48 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Biff Beltsander View Post
      Generally you only find out when you go to check your thread and realise that nobodies posted in it since you last saw it. Or that's at least how I always find out.
      It's crap, total crap I say

Cars
      '81 MK1 Jetta Coupe, '04 Jetta GL, '02 Passat GLS Wagon
      09-20-2016 02:00 PM #23
      I am in the midst of planning a 2-week family trip to Thailand and found that Trivago, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia etc. are only good to find a price range and what type of rooms are available. What I don't like about these sites is the varying prices for non-refundable and free cancellation options. I have found that most of the time that calling or going online directly to that hotel you will find comparable or better pricing than those other travel websites. Also, dealing directly with the hotels gives you free or small fee cancellation rights within a reasonable time frame. Deleting a middlemen makes changes or cancellations much easier. As far as airline tickets I believe Google flights.com has the best pricing and easiest format to compare pricing. You also get notifications when pricing on your flights of interest change.

Cars
      Six Speed Earth Dreamer
      09-27-2016 04:24 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by caragon View Post
      I am in the midst of planning a 2-week family trip to Thailand...

Cars
      '11 Audi S4, '77 VW Westfalia
      08-04-2017 04:51 PM #25
      Bumping since it's a good topic.

I used to use Priceline for everything. Could compare it to Expedia/Kayak/etc and it would always be about the same price. Booking a package directly through an airline would also give me that same price.

One negative thing about packages through a broker (Priceline/etc) is that if you have to change/cancel anything, it goes through them and not the airline/hotel/car directly. I've heard that can be good or bad... My one cancellation through Priceline I did get a refund though

Having said that, I generally only want to fly Delta these days so using their website yields me the same deals/prices. Granted, you don't get the "last minute" crazy deals that for example Priceline can get you if you "bid" on packages etc.

I've tried booking through AMEX recently, but the interface is horrible and it kept glitching, then when I called my concierge service I was just told "flights and deals change every hour" blah blah so I figuratively threw that website in the garbage.

Best thing I'm seeing is to stick with the same airlines and hotels (Hilton, Starwood, etc) and enroll in their free membership programs. Get "status" with them and they'll treat you better. Free room upgrades, free car upgrades, free class upgrades on flights if available... Many things are possible.

Also if you fly a lot, get the "TSA pre-check" done. Costs $85 and you can find a few ways to get it for free. All it is is your basic info and then fingerprints. Now every time I fly I'm "TSA prechecked", get to take the shorter line, keep my shoes on and everything stays in my bags.

TD;DR - Doesn't seem to matter where you book, but do it all as a package. Enroll in the free membership accounts. Try to use the same brands if you frequently travel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast