Fourtitude.com - What's your opinion on "ipad" infotainment screens in the center stack (current automotive trend)?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    1. 07-13-2016 04:20 PM #51
      Speaking of tablets, the BMW 7 series actually has a Samsung tablet in the backseat.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-13-2016 04:24 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by kennysss View Post
      Meanwhile on planet Earth, human beings are slowly losing their sense of direction as a result of relying too heavily on environment guidance technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      To be fair too, the roads and highway on/off ramps these days are so complicated, particularly in major city areas, that there is no way you can navigate successfully without having known the place beforehand. You can't just go by paper maps and make it. There are so many roads, one way roads, detours, enter this exit that. Gone are the days of simple highways. Nowadays, the onramps are complex. People will miss exits or turns even with a GPS navigation telling them to stay left or stay right. Cities and highways nowadays are complicated. In the past, cities and highways were very simple. A to B, straight road. Or simple turns. Look at the layout of major cities and major highways nowadays. It's complicated.

But you can say that about everything. Gone are the days of manual control. Gone are the days of creating tools, creating shelter, living off the land and hunting for food. I guess GPS is just one of those advancements and for the better.

Even if you don't need GPS for navigation purposes for road directions, GPS helps drivers anticipate the road ahead. I find this the most useful aspect of GPS in everyday driving. Roads can be hilly and visibility short. Maybe it is dark or foggy or raining/snowing. You may not have driven on the road before. There could be sharp turns. GPS tells you what's ahead and the good ones tell you the speed limit. This allows the drivers to preempt and prepare for maneuvers or speed changes ahead of time to stays safe. Its awesome actually.
      Last edited by baboondumdum; 07-13-2016 at 04:29 PM.

4. 07-13-2016 04:34 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by baboondumdum View Post
      To be fair too, the roads and highway on/off ramps these days are so complicated, particularly in major city areas, that there is no way you can navigate successfully without having known the place beforehand. You can't just go by paper maps and make it. There are so many roads, one way roads, detours, enter this exit that. Gone are the days of simple highways. Nowadays, the onramps are complex. People will miss exits or turns even with a GPS navigation telling them to stay left or stay right. Cities and highways nowadays are complicated. In the past, cities and highways were very simple. A to B, straight road. Or simple turns. Look at the layout of major cities and major highways nowadays. It's complicated.

But you can say that about everything. Gone are the days of manual control. Gone are the days of creating tools, creating shelter, living off the land and hunting for food. I guess GPS is just one of those advancements and for the better.

Even if you don't need GPS for navigation purposes for road directions, GPS helps drivers anticipate the road ahead. I find this the most useful aspect of GPS in everyday driving. Roads can be hilly and visibility short. Maybe it is dark or foggy or raining/snowing. You may not have driven on the road before. There could be sharp turns. GPS tells you what's ahead and the good ones tell you the speed limit. This allows the drivers to preempt and prepare for maneuvers or speed changes ahead of time to stays safe. Its awesome actually.
      I like you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      07-13-2016 04:34 PM #54
      Looks out of place in the new Smart.

Cars
      '06 xB, '06 Pilot, '84 C10
      07-13-2016 05:40 PM #55
      I pooted.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Don't quit now. All it takes is one bolt a day and it's still becoming something.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

07-13-2016 05:43 PM #56
      I liked the Acura's setup on the current MDX. I thought they integrated the old info system and the new touch screen display well.

8. 07-13-2016 06:53 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubman72 View Post
      I liked the Acura's setup on the current MDX. I thought they integrated the old info system and the new touch screen display well.

This 2 screen system is popular with some manufacturers now. Honda, of course, like Acura, has it too in the CRV. I think the first to do this double screen thing was the Infiniti with the Q50. But I think it was more "lets leave the infotainment screen where it is and upgrade the conventional buttons in the center stack to a touch interface" approach.

IMHO the absolute best interior of any brand and make goes to the current Porsche's like the Cayenne/Macan etc even though it's been like this for a few years now. I love the "inundated with buttons" look. Like you're in a fighter jet.

Last edited by baboondumdum; 07-13-2016 at 06:56 PM.

9. Member
      Cars
      A3, Q5
      07-13-2016 08:15 PM #58
      ^ Agreed.

Porsche has embraced that we're in a transitional state from tactile to all-software and went all-in on buttons as a last hurrah. It somehow totally works.
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

10. 07-13-2016 08:52 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post

Barney face

11. 07-13-2016 11:11 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by mjohn View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      while Audi (late to the party this time) completely screws the pooch with the 2017 A4! at least this one looks like it retracts, but still has that "ipad on a stick" look to it.

Barney face

The steering wheel looks like a face? I guess?

The new A4 screen doesn't even retract. While it looks OK (minus the big bezels), Audi basically jumped onto the the bandwagen with everyone else. The Q3 and a few other lower end Audis also don't have retractable ipad style screens. One plus though is I really like their new shifter design on the A4.

12. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      07-14-2016 12:47 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by baboondumdum View Post
      The steering wheel looks like a face? I guess?
      Look again. There's the silver steering wheel spokes for the mouth, the horn button is the nose, the two main gauges are eyes and there's a big circle for a head.

I cannot I see it now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123