Fourtitude.com - Mk2 guys and gals! Suspension help.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      92 golf
      06-15-2016 01:57 PM #1
      Hi there! I just recently got my lapping license and I have always wanted coilovers for my mk2. Now that I'll be using my car at the track now and then I was looking for some opinions from others tracking there mk2 on what brand to go with, if it REally matters. Yes I've done the search, but I want the motorsport crowd's feedback. Go.
      don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      '88 ITA Scirocco race car & 2012 TDI Jetta 6 sp. manual
      07-06-2016 02:34 PM #2
      Why do you want to install coil overs for?
      To lower the car?
      To install stiffer springs?
      To be able to change springs easily?
      Or to just lower the car to look "cool"?

What mods have been done to the car up to this point?

It helps anyone reading your post to give you a better answer if we know something about the car and what you hope to accomplish.

Coil overs allow one to "tune" their suspension setup by "corner weighting" their car and setting ride heights at each wheel to "balance" the car for improved handling.
      If you don't intend to or can't set your car up on a set of 4 wheel scales getting coil overs won't gain you much other then the ease of changing ride heights.

And remember lowering a VW to much will actually hurt handling, not help it.

I road race a Scriocco 16V and it runs at near stock ride height but with much stiffer springs.
      Spring rates more then ride height determines how well a car will handle.

Cars
      92 golf
      07-10-2016 12:33 PM #3
      Hey thanks for the reply. Right now all I have done to the car is an FK 60/40 cup kit with newer bilstein sport shocks/struts. As most of these components are getting very old (I've had the cup kit installed for 12 years now, and bought it used) I was thinking about coils, for the adjustability. Running different wheels mostly, as I am becoming a wheel hoarder. But I was also thinking of making the car stiffer, and possibly one day doing some corner balancing. I will be installing a rear sway bar and am waiting on some R compounds. Thanks
      don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.