Fourtitude.com - We bought a aircooled bus to travel the country in...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
      Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      06-10-2016 08:07 AM #101
      Are you asking because it won't start?

Find TDC by CAREFULLY sticking a wooden dowel into the spark plug hole and rotating the motor. Because of the angle the spark plug sits in relation to the cylinder, you can't really get any great accuracy doing it this way; but because you're only looking to make sure where the number 1 plug wire goes, it'll get you close enough. Then which ever spot your rotor is pointing, put your number 1 plug wire there. I've never done much with type IVs, so I'd assume there is a TDC mark on the fan, but am not sure where you'd need to look. Then just put the remaining plug wires where they need to go in relation to number 1 on the cap. Then start it up and reset the timing.

Also, be sure to check out ratwell's site. It's got a TON of great information about bay windows. http://www.ratwell.com/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-10-2016 08:31 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      Are you asking because it won't start?

Find TDC by CAREFULLY sticking a wooden dowel into the spark plug hole and rotating the motor. Because of the angle the spark plug sits in relation to the cylinder, you can't really get any great accuracy doing it this way; but because you're only looking to make sure where the number 1 plug wire goes, it'll get you close enough. Then which ever spot your rotor is pointing, put your number 1 plug wire there. I've never done much with type IVs, so I'd assume there is a TDC mark on the fan, but am not sure where you'd need to look. Then just put the remaining plug wires where they need to go in relation to number 1 on the cap. Then start it up and reset the timing.
      The only running problem with rotating the distributor to compensate for an out-of-place drive gear is that #3 has a few degrees less advance built into the cam lobe in order to keep it cooler. In this case it won't matter because he's using an Ignitor (which doesn't rely on the cam for anything more than stability of the magnets) and because I honestly don't know if #3 runs hotter on a Type IV or not.

It should be indexed correctly, if for no other reason, in order to make it easier to tune.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      1990 Volvo 240 sedan, 1972 VW camper van, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1989 Ford Festiva, 2014 Ford Fiesta
      06-10-2016 08:35 AM #103
      If I set the engine up to TDC using the location of the rotor in the distributor and the marks on the crank pulley as per numerous online articles/every book I have, the intake valve is open on Cylinder 1, and cylinder 2 is at TDC. If I rotate the engine clockwise 180*, cylinder 1 is then at TDC. It starts and runs fine, the exhaust pops a bit on decel, don't know whether that is normal.

I believe air and water is right, someone messed with the distributor in someway and the drive gear is installed wrong, putting it 90* away from where it should be, then moved the spark plug wires instead of taking it back apart and fixing the problem.

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-10-2016 09:08 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Zman86 View Post
      If I set the engine up to TDC using the location of the rotor in the distributor and the marks on the crank pulley as per numerous online articles/every book I have, the intake valve is open on Cylinder 1, and cylinder 2 is at TDC. If I rotate the engine clockwise 180*, cylinder 1 is then at TDC. It starts and runs fine, the exhaust pops a bit on decel, don't know whether that is normal.

I believe air and water is right, someone messed with the distributor in someway and the drive gear is installed wrong, putting it 90* away from where it should be, then moved the spark plug wires instead of taking it back apart and fixing the problem.
      The popping is as likely due to an exhaust leak as it is anything else.

Oh, and for the record, a .009 distributor is not the one you want for that engine. At the very least I'd get an .050 for it, but I'd likely get an SVDA (single vacuum, dual advance) unit from aircooled.net. It should run better and cooler with that unit. They used to build their own units, but the distributors they built them from are no longer available, so they have these Pertronix Distributors. It isn't clear as to how well they work with the Type IV engine, though. I'd get in touch with them and check into it. I'd also pick up a distributor drive gear puller while you're ordering.

Note hotlinks.

6. 06-10-2016 09:19 AM #105
      This is such a great find and a great thread. Love to read these projects, best of luck and ejoy the ride!

Cars
      1990 Volvo 240 sedan, 1972 VW camper van, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1989 Ford Festiva, 2014 Ford Fiesta
      06-10-2016 09:35 AM #106
      Thanks! I'll try and identify the distributor tonight, as it looks fairly new.

All the exhaust gaskets are rotten on the aftermarket muffler, have a muffler install kit on the way from CIP1 so I can get it resealed.

Cars
      06-12-2016 05:37 PM #107
      Not much done on the bus this weekend, decided to leave the distributor position alone for the time being as its running fine, and I do t want to screw it up. Finished the valve set, added oil and took it for a quick drive up the road to see how the trans felt with the Royal Purple in it. I must say it shifts and feels smoother, but it's going to need a clutch sooner than later.

Here's the ID tag on the distributor.

Cars
      2015 S85D, 2012 S4, 2008 TurboX, 2006 S60R, 2004 R32, ie 6MT-BEV AWD continuum
      06-12-2016 07:20 PM #108
      OP the bus is a lethal long distance ride, frontal impacts with modern highway speeds will not be survivable.
      Why not just keep it for shows and Sunday rides?

The red guzzler on the other hand should plow through anything leaving behind the sweet aroma of partial combustion
      so characteristic of the era.

Cars
      1993 Miata, 2000 S2000, 2010 Jetta TDI Cup
      06-12-2016 07:22 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Kandiru View Post
      OP the bus is a lethal long distance ride, frontal impacts with modern highway speeds will not be survivable.
      Air cooled buses generally don't travel at modern highway speeds.

Cars
      '14 Beetle 'Vert
      06-12-2016 07:41 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by njn63 View Post
      Air cooled buses generally don't travel at modern highway speeds.
      I remember back in the day (early '70s) a friend had a mid-'60s model that boasted of cruise control.

He rigged up a brick with a cord through the holes, with the other end tied to the shifter: To achieve and maintain highway speeds (60 or so), he would drop the brick on the accelerator. When he needed to decelerate, he would pull the brick off with the cord.

True story...

Cars
      06-12-2016 09:53 PM #111
      I realize it's not the safest, most fuel efficient, comfortable or practical vehicle, but if we wanted all those things, we would have just bought a boring modern RV.

The world needs more roadtrips in old vehicles anyways...

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-12-2016 11:24 PM #112

The red guzzler on the other hand should plow through anything leaving behind the sweet aroma of partial combustion
      Because most people never get into a serious front end collision their entire lives and don't worry every second of every day?

Also, are you saying the old Chevy would've done better? Have you seen how the middle of a car like that collapses? The driver is in the most easily crushed part of the car and the steering shaft doesn't collapse, so you become the steering wheel's punching bag. Busses do better in a front end collision than you think and because of the angle of the steering shaft it doesn't become a lance.

No, they're not nearly as good as any new car today, but to assume a '56 Chevy would be better is a fallacy.

As far as the distributor goes, it's not a Bosch unit, so I can't tell you much about it. Bosch would've stamped the number into it and it would've been 0-231-178-009. It should take all of the 009 parts, though.
      Last edited by Air and water do mix; 06-12-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Cars
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1973 Gran Torino station wagon
      06-12-2016 11:29 PM #113

*Looks at vehicle list*

Let people enjoy their old vehicles, please.

Oh, this argument is too, too familiar

I realize it's not the safest, most fuel efficient, comfortable or practical vehicle, but if we wanted all those things, we would have just bought a boring modern RV.

The world needs more roadtrips in old vehicles anyways...
      Hot Rod Power Tour is in progress right now!!

Cars
      06-13-2016 10:23 PM #114
      Hit the road tonight legally! Ran great, after a good thirty minutes of driving the dipstick was barely warm. Seem to have gotten most of the oil from the leak cleaned out of the LS heater box, but I'm still getting a waft of burning oil from it and the bottoms a bit damp.

Started packing it with our camping supplies, as well as washing the curtains and figuring out where they all go since they came in a bag.

First outing is this weekend, a van get together about forty five minutes away. Good short thrip to get a feel for it.

Cars
      06-14-2016 08:05 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      The only running problem with rotating the distributor to compensate for an out-of-place drive gear is that #3 has a few degrees less advance built into the cam lobe in order to keep it cooler. In this case it won't matter because he's using an Ignitor (which doesn't rely on the cam for anything more than stability of the magnets) and because I honestly don't know if #3 runs hotter on a Type IV or not.

It should be indexed correctly, if for no other reason, in order to make it easier to tune.
      I've heard a few times that certain distributors received a few degrees less advance on #3, but I've never seen any sort of documentation to back that up.

The popping is as likely due to an exhaust leak as it is anything else.
      That's the first thing I'd check. I've had it happen quite a bit, and that has always been the cause.

Oh, and for the record, a .009 distributor is not the one you want for that engine. At the very least I'd get an .050 for it, but I'd likely get an SVDA (single vacuum, dual advance) unit from aircooled.net. It should run better and cooler with that unit. They used to build their own units, but the distributors they built them from are no longer available, so they have these Pertronix Distributors. It isn't clear as to how well they work with the Type IV engine, though. I'd get in touch with them and check into it. I'd also pick up a distributor drive gear puller while you're ordering.
      As far as the distributor goes, it's not a Bosch unit, so I can't tell you much about it. Bosch would've stamped the number into it and it would've been 0-231-178-009. It should take all of the 009 parts, though.
      Can't agree with this enough. I'd check out the classifieds on thesamba and pick up a stock distributor. 009's are everywhere and dirt cheap, but they're all junk, IMO. They work semi-decent for what they are, but I fully believe that the only reason so many people run them is that they are so plentiful and cheap. Especially true for knock-off 009's, like is currently being used.

Cars
      Non-VW
      06-14-2016 08:38 PM #116

Found out it was used in a Kijiji commercial out in BC!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwgQ7mPlrk
      that's freakin awesome!

Cars
      06-16-2016 07:27 PM #117
      All loaded for its first weekend camping!

Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      06-16-2016 08:14 PM #118
      Found out it was used in a Kijiji commercial out in BC!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwgQ7mPlrk
      Win!

20. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-16-2016 09:15 PM #119
      I've heard a few times that certain distributors received a few degrees less advance on #3, but I've never seen any sort of documentation to back that up.
      Yeah, it's mostly hearsay. It would either take good documentation or a Sun machine. I knew a guy who had one for indexing vintage Porsche distributors, but he's sadly no longer with us.

I'll check with my brother to see if he can verify, as his memory is encyclopedic and he worked at a dealership before the Type IV was even out in Europe.

Cars
      06-17-2016 09:29 AM #120
      Yeah, it's mostly hearsay. It would either take good documentation or a Sun machine. I knew a guy who had one for indexing vintage Porsche distributors, but he's sadly no longer with us.

I'll check with my brother to see if he can verify, as his memory is encyclopedic and he worked at a dealership before the Type IV was even out in Europe.
      I know Glenn Ring (http://www.glenn-ring.com/) has a Sun machine. Not sure what all he's tested/not tested, though.

Cars
      06-17-2016 12:44 PM #121
      All set up for its first night!

06-17-2016 01:13 PM #122
      Congrats on your first successful camping night! Are you planning to map our your journey at some point for those of us who like to see maps?

Cars
      06-17-2016 02:22 PM #123
      If I knew how, I would for sure

25. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-17-2016 03:03 PM #124
      I know Glenn Ring (http://www.glenn-ring.com/) has a Sun machine. Not sure what all he's tested/not tested, though.
      I checked out his site. I don't see anything after a quick run-through. Since you know him can you find out if he can confirm/deny? Now I really want to know!

If I knew how, I would for sure
      Well, if you're not wanting to do it electronically you could buy a map and a magic maker, then take a pic!

Cars
      06-18-2016 12:05 PM #125
      I checked out his site. I don't see anything after a quick run-through. Since you know him can you find out if he can confirm/deny? Now I really want to know!
      I'll send him a message, if I get a chance.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast