Fourtitude.com - We bought a aircooled bus to travel the country in...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
      Cars
      81 caddy VNT MTDI 02a.
      08-12-2019 01:50 AM #576
      ive tuned into this awesome thread for years now,
      and its really getting good. However as someone who has taken a 1981 vw on a similar trip, your MPG blows me away.
      12mpg must be such a massive daily expense. I mentioned this a long time ago, but consider this, if you put in a diesel engine you could get 3x the fuel mileage.
      it would only take a couple trips to make up the savings in fuel.

not to mention that you can tighten the drain plug reasonably and reliably.

oh, and you could have an engine designed to run over 100k miles
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      08-12-2019 10:36 AM #577
      Quote Originally Posted by Zman86 View Post
      As we climbed higher and higher, itís becoming obvious to me that keeping the aircooled engine if we plan on doing any terrain in this thing is not an option. This thing is dangerously slow pulling grades in any type of elevation, but we made it to the highest point on the I80 at 8600ft!

Todayís fuel economy was transport truck worthy, another reason to potentially ditch the aircooled engine.
      If you were to ditch the aircooled engine, what would you go with? I've considered it many times, but the issue I keep running into is when converting to watercooled, what do you do with the radiator? The bus wasn't designed to have a radiator, so there's no good place to put one, IMO. Beetles, type 3, things, ghias, etc all have a spare tire up front, which can be re-purposed to have a radiator... but buses don't have the same option.

4. Member
      Cars
      1963 Chrysler Imperial, 1986 VW GTI
      08-12-2019 11:43 AM #578
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      If you were to ditch the aircooled engine, what would you go with? I've considered it many times, but the issue I keep running into is when converting to watercooled, what do you do with the radiator? The bus wasn't designed to have a radiator, so there's no good place to put one, IMO. Beetles, type 3, things, ghias, etc all have a spare tire up front, which can be re-purposed to have a radiator... but buses don't have the same option.
      I've commented in this thread before, but I drive a Subaru EJ25 converted '73 Beetle. There is a plethora of info out there on Subaru conversions now, as well as many off the shelf - ready to go conversion parts. Especially for busses and vanagons. The best setup for a Type 2 is a belly mounted radiator. Between the frame rails mounted horizontally, with shrouding to force air through one side and out the other. It is a very common setup proved to work. As far as gas mileage, I can manage up to 30mpg in my Beetle. Most people in Type 2s seem to average right under 20mpg.

Cars
      1990 Volvo 240 sedan, 1972 VW camper van, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1989 Ford Festiva, 2014 Ford Fiesta
      08-12-2019 01:24 PM #579
      Iíd love to just keep the aircooled engine as I do t really want to deal with the cooling system. Iíd personally love to go diesel, but it looks like an ALH is a pita to fit and get plumbed. Iíll be doing some more research once we are back. The way I look at the poor mpg is that I have 70-75hp moving 4000+ pounds of brick shaped vehicle down the road.

Anyways, yesterday we spent the day on the salt. It was epic, however they are not running due to wetness till Tuesday morning now, when we leave. Going to stick around to at least see a few cars run before we leave. Getting to walk the pits (three rows over 4 miles long) is a surreal experience, everyone is extremely friendly and willing to allow you to poke around the cars. Iím very happy we made the trip despite the lack of racing.

Then thereís the cars. Thereís literally too much to take pictures of, so hereís some of my favourites of the day.

Team Vescos Turbinator II, fastest wheel driven car on the planet. Everything reeked of jet fuel and was glorious.

Valerie Thompsonís 500mph contender. We got to hear it fire up, was amazing.

Then the pictures Iíve been waiting to take for years, my own vintage vehicle on the salt. We went promptly to the car was afterwards.

That evening was the daily car show at the nugget. We befriended some people from Montana and they gave us a ride up.

After a good nights sleep, I set the valves in the bus and we are currently getting ready to head back out to the salt. Thanks for tuning in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      08-12-2019 01:40 PM #580
      Then the pictures Iíve been waiting to take for years, my own vintage vehicle on the salt. We went promptly to the car wash afterwards.

After a good nights sleep, I set the valves in the bus and we are currently getting ready to head back out to the salt. Thanks for tuning in!

You washed the salt off immediately and adjusted the valves mid-trip? Well done, sir.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      1990 Volvo 240 sedan, 1972 VW camper van, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1989 Ford Festiva, 2014 Ford Fiesta
      08-12-2019 08:52 PM #581
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      You washed the salt off immediately and adjusted the valves mid-trip? Well done, sir.
      On these big trips, I always change the oil and adjust the valves when we get to our destination, have done about 2500miles so far. Oil is cheap, and since these things depend so much on oil, I figure itís cheap insurance to keep it fresh. Iíll do it again once we get home as well, and that should last us the rest of year. Iíve also washed it three times so far, hopefully we hit some rain on the way back to clean it further.

Was back out on the salt today, I figured there would be more stuff since they are running tomorrow, however it had massively thinned out, and there was a mood of frustration in the air.

This thing was absolutely beautiful

The Kerma TDI streamlined, powered by a V10 diesel out of a Touareg. Being a TDI nerd, this was great to see in person

Two stroke Detroit diesel power

Some Swedish metal

Had our salt flat margaritas

And took some more bus pictures

After three hours in the sun, I was toast

Tomorrow we hope to get up early and catch a few cars run down the track, then itís back on the road to Yellowstone national park.

Cars
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      08-12-2019 09:00 PM #582
      So ****ing cool.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

9. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      08-12-2019 09:33 PM #583
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      So ****ing cool.
      I dunno man, he looks pretty damn hot to me.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Cars
      81 caddy VNT MTDI 02a.
      08-12-2019 10:17 PM #584
      you could get an AHU tdi and bolt it in with oem parts.
      run a mechanical pump and do away with ALL electronics.

hey the salt flat pics are AMAZING,
      talk about PITA to plumb, some of those turbo pipes
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      08-13-2019 06:23 AM #585
      Awesome update and thanks for the pics of the cars and Salt Flats.

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      08-13-2019 09:41 AM #586
      Dude. The salt flat pictures are AWESOME. I never wanted to go before... but now I do.

Quote Originally Posted by topdawg_mc4 View Post
      I've commented in this thread before, but I drive a Subaru EJ25 converted '73 Beetle. There is a plethora of info out there on Subaru conversions now, as well as many off the shelf - ready to go conversion parts. Especially for busses and vanagons. The best setup for a Type 2 is a belly mounted radiator. Between the frame rails mounted horizontally, with shrouding to force air through one side and out the other. It is a very common setup proved to work. As far as gas mileage, I can manage up to 30mpg in my Beetle. Most people in Type 2s seem to average right under 20mpg.
      I've seen a number of people put the radiator under the bus, but I just can't believe that's a good place to put it. Seems like it's easily in the path to destruction there and I can't imagine that the airflow is optimal. Not to mention that you have to deal with occupying the same area as the heater tube underneath the bus. I've also seen dual, small radiators on either side of the engine compartment, but that makes for a horribly cramped engine bay. I'd almost be tempted to go the route of a Mexican watercooled bay window. All the parts should be pretty readily available since they made TONS of them in Mexico.

Iíd love to just keep the aircooled engine as I do t really want to deal with the cooling system. Iíd personally love to go diesel, but it looks like an ALH is a pita to fit and get plumbed. Iíll be doing some more research once we are back. The way I look at the poor mpg is that I have 70-75hp moving 4000+ pounds of brick shaped vehicle down the road.
      As somebody mentioned, an AHU/1Z would bolt in using factory parts...

13. Member
      Cars
      08-13-2019 09:50 AM #587

Anyways, yesterday we spent the day on the salt. It was epic, however they are not running due to wetness till Tuesday morning now, when we leave. Going to stick around to at least see a few cars run before we leave. Getting to walk the pits (three rows over 4 miles long) is a surreal experience, everyone is extremely friendly and willing to allow you to poke around the cars. Iím very happy we made the trip despite the lack of racing.

I love how well this picture shows the scale of the area. Amazing.

As far as the cooling system goes, once it's installed, there's really nothing to deal with. It's like normal maintenance on a new car. Once I got my system plumbed, I haven't touched it. Haven't had to add coolant or drain or flush. Just follow OEM service intervals on flushing and filling and its out of sight - out of mind.

14. Member
      Cars
      08-13-2019 10:04 AM #588
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post

I've seen a number of people put the radiator under the bus, but I just can't believe that's a good place to put it. Seems like it's easily in the path to destruction there and I can't imagine that the airflow is optimal. Not to mention that you have to deal with occupying the same area as the heater tube underneath the bus. I've also seen dual, small radiators on either side of the engine compartment, but that makes for a horribly cramped engine bay. I'd almost be tempted to go the route of a Mexican watercooled bay window. All the parts should be pretty readily available since they made TONS of them in Mexico.
      I've talked to lots of guys running the belly mount radiator with literally no problems. I mean, virtually every vehicle out there has brake and fuel lines running under the vehicle anyway. And as far as the heater tube goes - with a water cooled motor installed, there's the ability to have a real heater via heater core. Not to mention a good AC system to boot.

Cars
      08-13-2019 10:12 AM #589
      I have a question for you guys, Would a AAZ turbo diesel be affected by altitude change?

Cars
      08-14-2019 01:23 AM #590
      Got in some racing today, though the course was in terrible condition apparently.

Bye Wendover!

Lineup to run

Starting line in the distance

Loved this corvair

George Poteets Blowfish, built by Rad Rides by Troy

Turbinator II. Word around was it wasnít going to run due to track conditions. Dunno if it did or not.

Starting line

Poteets Speed Demon, I wanted to stick around for at least one of the big guys to run, believe he ended up in the mid 300ís

Bye bye Bonneville

On the road to Montana

I always thought Idaho was flat. I was wrong.

Pulling a massive grade into the Targhee national forest

Hit 60,000 miles heading into Montana.

Set up in Montana for the night

800km day today and we went through 4 states. Tomorrow we do some exploring of Yellowstone national park.

17. 08-14-2019 04:03 PM #591
      Great write-up and pics

Sent from using Tapatalk

Cars
      08-15-2019 12:37 AM #592
      Visited Yellowstone National Park today, breathtakingly beautiful...

What the above looks like from overhead

The colours everywhere are amazing!

Old faithful

Zoom in, thereís moose!

Back in Montana

19. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      08-15-2019 12:48 PM #593
      You and Rabbit missed each other by about one week!
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Cars
      08-16-2019 06:03 PM #594
      Left Yellowstone yesterday morning

Big sky, Montana

Lunch stop

Took a detour to go see the Little Bighorn battlefield. Very weird to stand where you know something so terrible happened.

Spent the rest of daylight on the most remote stretch of road I think weíve ever had the bus on, the 212 between Little Bighorn and Belle Forche

Arrived in Sturgis, South Dakota in hopes of eating at one of the famous bars, but the place was basically a ghost town. Not a single thing was open at 10pm

The bus is enjoying its diet of bugs and gasoline.

After fueling up in Sturgis, we headed up into the hills for our camp that night about 6 miles away from Mount Rushmore, got in around 1am.

Cars
      08-17-2019 03:44 AM #595
      Started today camped up by Mount Rushmore

Then it was up to the monument

Down the mountain we go, beautiful scenery in the Black Hills of South Dakota, didnít get many pictures unfortunately

Of course we stopped by Wall Drug, place is crazy...

The scenery started changing from rolling hills back to flat and full of corn

After stopping for dinner, we continued on into Minnesota in the dark, trying to get some more miles in so we can make it home tomorrow instead of Sunday. Almost ran out of gas while searching for a station, ended up in the small town of Wells, Minnesota, at 1am and found a self serve pump that luckily accepted my credit card. The highways here are obnoxiously terrible to drive on condition wise.

Decided to stop around 2am and 987km after we set out around 1230 this morning. We were aiming for the Chicago area but just couldnít drive anymore. Fuel mileage was in the 14ís yesterday, even got above 15 for a tank, but itís back being terrible again today.

Cars
      08-18-2019 07:53 PM #596
      Left middle of nowhere, Minnesota around 11am Saturday morning with the intent of getting home.

Heading into Wisconsin

Mississippi River

Chicago in the distance (sorry smoormin, we didnít have time to stop)

Driving through Chicago was interesting. People drive like maniacs

Pulled into Detroit around 130am, then promptly got lost and had to get off the highway. Turned around in the sketchiest area Iíve ever been to.

Home was in sight!

Back in the land of ridiculous taxes, the government nannying everything you do, and $6.50/gallon premium fuel

Arrived in our neck of the woods around 5am in quite possibly the worst rain/thunderstorm Iíve ever driven through. It was bad, like really bad, so no arrival pic, but here it is the next morning. Last day was over 1300km. Used 6 tanks of fuel, then my fuel tracking app had a meltdown and wonít let me pull the data from our trip now. Going through it tank by tank, it looks like we did about 7700km in 13 days, longer than last year. Bus performed flawlessly, though there are some things that need to be addressed before taking it long distance again, mainly getting rid of the front lowering spindles.

Anyways, thanks to those that followed along!

Cars
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      Yesterday 06:40 AM #597
      Yeah getting off the wrong exit in Detroit is not recommended. I had a similar experience in Philly a long time ago.

Glad you made it home safe. Thanks for sharing the trip.

24. Yesterday 07:54 AM #598

Arrived in Sturgis, South Dakota in hopes of eating at one of the famous bars, but the place was basically a ghost town. Not a single thing was open at 10pm

The bus is enjoying its diet of bugs and gasoline...
      Oh, man, awesome trip, plus you brought back some awesome Veedub memories. We've been in every spot you have, although on different trips and in several vehicles over the years, but one stands out for us:

Back in 2004, when our bright orange 2003 NB Convertible was still a new vehicle that drew surprised and admiring glances everywhere we went, we happened to drive through Sturgis a few days before Bike Week, where we stopped in front of The Knuckle Saloon to grab a little lunch. Parked the car, top down, dead center in front of the door with a good twenty motorcycles all around it (I still have a 35mm film photo of it somewhere). Even though My Beloved has been fearless throughout our many travels around the world, she later admitted she was a little hesitant to walk in the Saloon, but as usual, she said nothing and we sauntered in like we owned the place. Someone's pitbull (the manager's?) immediately greeted us as we entered and stopped to get used to the layout, sniffing us and basically hindering our progress until a middle-aged waitress came to our rescue and sat us in a four-top right in front of the long bar. Since it was close to 2pm, all they had left available for lunch was pizza slices, so we ordered a pitcher, four slices, and waited for our order... Just then, this huge bearded motorcycle guy in full leathers came in and yells, "who the eff parked that ***** car right in front of the goddamned door!?!" Me being me, I waved and said, "That's us, come on over here," which he did, pulling out a chair and saying "you got a lot of effing nerve..." I could tell he loved his beer, and he was really just showing off in a semi-drunken sort of way, so I said "well, I bet you have an amazing bike, let us buy you a beer and you can show us in a bit." Down he sits like he's a long-lost relative and before we even introduced ourselves, starts talking all about his restored softail, four years since his old lady died, how his dog died last month, and how he drove up from New Mexico where there wasn't a goddamned thing by himself, because his best buddy stood him up at the last minute, and by the time his beer mug showed up, we were fast friends. After we finished our pizza slices (My Beloved doesn't do crusts, but the pitbull did), he and about ten of his bar buddies took us outside and we told them all about our NB, and they told us all about their bikes, and My-still-brave-Beloved was even taken on a short drive up the street by not one, not two, but four different slightly-beery biker guys showing off their bikes and trying to out-brag each other. We eventually drove off after much hugging and back-slapping and come-back-next-weeks and waving and yelling and having an unforgettable couple of hours.

Cars
      Yesterday 10:09 AM #599
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      Oh, man, awesome trip, plus you brought back some awesome Veedub memories. We've been in every spot you have, although on different trips and in several vehicles over the years, but one stands out for us:

Back in 2004, when our bright orange 2003 NB Convertible was still a new vehicle that drew surprised and admiring glances everywhere we went, we happened to drive through Sturgis a few days before Bike Week, where we stopped in front of The Knuckle Saloon to grab a little lunch. Parked the car, top down, dead center in front of the door with a good twenty motorcycles all around it (I still have a 35mm film photo of it somewhere). Even though My Beloved has been fearless throughout our many travels around the world, she later admitted she was a little hesitant to walk in the Saloon, but as usual, she said nothing and we sauntered in like we owned the place. Someone's pitbull (the manager's?) immediately greeted us as we entered and stopped to get used to the layout, sniffing us and basically hindering our progress until a middle-aged waitress came to our rescue and sat us in a four-top right in front of the long bar. Since it was close to 2pm, all they had left available for lunch was pizza slices, so we ordered a pitcher, four slices, and waited for our order... Just then, this huge bearded motorcycle guy in full leathers came in and yells, "who the eff parked that ***** car right in front of the goddamned door!?!" Me being me, I waved and said, "That's us, come on over here," which he did, pulling out a chair and saying "you got a lot of effing nerve..." I could tell he loved his beer, and he was really just showing off in a semi-drunken sort of way, so I said "well, I bet you have an amazing bike, let us buy you a beer and you can show us in a bit." Down he sits like he's a long-lost relative and before we even introduced ourselves, starts talking all about his restored softail, four years since his old lady died, how his dog died last month, and how he drove up from New Mexico where there wasn't a goddamned thing by himself, because his best buddy stood him up at the last minute, and by the time his beer mug showed up, we were fast friends. After we finished our pizza slices (My Beloved doesn't do crusts, but the pitbull did), he and about ten of his bar buddies took us outside and we told them all about our NB, and they told us all about their bikes, and My-still-brave-Beloved was even taken on a short drive up the street by not one, not two, but four different slightly-beery biker guys showing off their bikes and trying to out-brag each other. We eventually drove off after much hugging and back-slapping and come-back-next-weeks and waving and yelling and having an unforgettable couple of hours.
      Right on! We met a lot of great people during the trip. Thereís the view in the states that Canadians are these bright, friendly people, but in reality, most of the people up here are a-holes.

Cars
      Yesterday 02:50 PM #600
      Got the fuel app fixed, hereís the final stats.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast