Fourtitude.com - Which lens for car shots. Nikon D3300
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2013 Gti
      05-25-2016 10:06 AM #1
      As the title says, i will be using it for my work. Which is taking pictures of our vehicle outside in front of the building signage. 90% of the time it will be sunny. And im going to try an ND filter to help cut the reflectiveness of the car paint. But i still want them to look good and bright. Any helpful hints on what to adjust on the camera and what lens would be best suited for this?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '19 IGM e-Golf SEL-P | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL-P
      05-25-2016 01:52 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by jon_570 View Post
      As the title says, i will be using it for my work. Which is taking pictures of our vehicle outside in front of the building signage. 90% of the time it will be sunny. And im going to try an ND filter to help cut the reflectiveness of the car paint. But i still want them to look good and bright. Any helpful hints on what to adjust on the camera and what lens would be best suited for this?
      I like using the 50mm 1.8 assuming you have space to back up, they can be had for about $200 new, or less if you buy used. If you're in close quarters you'll want something wider. I'm not a filter expert but I think you would want a Circular Polarizer. A ND limits the light coming in allowing for longer shutter speeds but I don't think it does much for reflections.

Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      05-25-2016 01:58 PM #3
      On my D200 (DX Format) my Nikkor 35mm 1.8 was used a lot for car pictures.
      http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pro...5mm-f1.8g.html

Keep in mind when shooting cars -
      Background clutter
      Reflections
      Time of day

Cars
      2013 Gti
      05-25-2016 02:22 PM #4
      Ive been looking at the 50 and 35mm ones. I only have a certain time frame that i can do pictures. Within working house. 8-5. Ill look into the polarizing filters.

Cars
      BRZ
      05-30-2016 07:07 PM #5
      First of all, a ND (neutral density) filter is not going to do anything for you---that is simply a 'clear' filter that is used to reduce light. You use those filters to get a long exposure when it's bright out. Here's an example:

The filter you want is a Circular Polarizer (CP); that's the filter that will cut reflections.

Since you're using a crop body, you should shoot exterior photos with a 35mm. For the interior, you're going to want a wider lens. Any kit lens (18-55, 18-105, etc) should do the job.

Shoot in A mode; probably around f/2.8 to f/3.5 for the exterior and wide open on the interior.

I shoot fancier cars with my D750 at work, but for most of my inventory I shoot with my D90, Nikon 35mm f/1.8, and Nikon 18-105mm (kit lens).

Cars
      2013 Gti
      05-30-2016 10:46 PM #6
      Great advice and beautiful car and shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by blackohio View Post

You basically turned a corolla into a baja truck to drive to the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bluth View Post
      That's 100% what he's talking about. I'll eat my ass if it's something else.

Cars
      '13 VW R || '13 Audi Q7
      05-31-2016 01:01 AM #7
      How do folks feel about shooting with prime lenses? Just getting into using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '13 VW R 2D || '13 Audi Q7 || (SOLD) '14 STi Sedan
      || (SOLD) '12 WRX Hatch || (SOLD) MKIV 2.slow

www.instagram.com/jackhossross

Cars
      BRZ
      05-31-2016 02:49 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by beermuscles View Post
      How do folks feel about shooting with prime lenses? Just getting into using them.
      Well, as always with photography, it depends on what you want to do.

But for car photography, one important consideration about prime lenses is that they tend to have far less distortion than zoom lenses.

Prime lenses also have a very wide aperture; it's very rare to see a zoom lens that goes more wide open than f/2.8. If you want that essential bokeh, you either have to go with a fancy f/2.8 zoom or a prime lens.

Anther upside of prime lenses is that professional quality images are well within the budget of any shooter. Your classic f/1.8 "nifty fifty" is around $200 new and the sky's the limit with that lens.

Cars
      2013 VW Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      06-02-2016 03:38 PM #9
      As Hush Puppy mentioned, the correct filter you're looking for is the CP.

I have a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC which may also be a solid option because you get the wide of the 17mm up to 50mm @ 2.8.

If you want to get a bit "artistic", then you can go for wider angle glass, but don't get carried away with it. Look at a Tonkia 11-16MM f/2.8.

If low light will be an obstacle, look at a quick prime like Nikon's 35mm 1.8G.
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!
      My flickr

11. Member
      08-08-2016 07:25 PM #10
      I highly recommend the Nikon 12-24mm F4 it's contrasty, sharp, somewhat a fast lens, and reasonable on the used market in price--- I use it for almost all car shows b/c it does pretty much everything I need it to, interiors, exteriors, etc. I use my 85 1.8 D lens for long shots (about a 135mm on crop sensor) and gives me great blown out backgrounds where there's room for it.