Fourtitude.com - 2016 Tiguan S Head Unit Options
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 04-30-2016 07:24 PM #1
      Hi There,

We just leased a new 2016 Tiguan S for my wife. The stock head unit is a bit of a disappointment - most notably, it doesn't even include Sirius.

I've searched around here a bit, and I've noticed that there are some really nice looking and cheap units available from China. (They may even be OEM??).

However, as I've looked around on here, it also seems that her 2016 Tiguan has a different interface (is it called MDI?) that would prevent any of the older OEM units from being Plug& Play. Are there wiring adapters for this?

So, what I'd like to do, is find a different head unit (that includes at least a Sirius tuner) that I can swap in. Ideally, it would include bluetooth hands-free compatibility, interface with the rear camera, interface with the steering wheel controls, and include either NAV or apple CARPLAY. Also ideally, it would be plug & play (or if not directly Plug & Play, use wiring adapters that would simplify the install). Do I need to do anything about a SIRIUS antenna, or is that already set?

Years ago, I'd done a number of audio system swaps in my other cars, but that was in the days when the only connections were power in, antenna, and speakers out.

And, of course, since this is a lease, I'd probably plan to remove it at the end of the lease term and put the OEM back in. Finally, I want to spend as little as possible to get all of wat I've described above.

How easy is it to get the stock radio out of the dash?

In terms of features:

Bluetooth Phone Hands Free Interface - MUST HAVE
      Sirius (or XM) - MUST HAVE
      Rear Camera interface - REALLY NICE TO HAVE
      Steering Wheel Controls - REALLY NICE TO HAVE
      NAV or CARPLAY - I'D LIKE TO HAVE

Thanks for any advice and tips!

Eric

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-02-2016 09:42 AM #2
      Aren't there any gurus out there to help a fella out?? :-)

4. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      05-03-2016 11:41 AM #3
      the 2016's have different connectors for the harness than the previous headunits. So, that throws a huge monkey-wrench in compatibility.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 05-03-2016 02:11 PM #4
      Thanks - I thought that was what I read elsewhere. And there aren't any "adapters" that allow one to hook up an older head unit to the new MIB II?

7. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      05-04-2016 05:15 PM #5
      I wouldn't know. My SE has the Discover nav, with the carplay/android-auto/mirrorlink
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

Cars
      2016 Jetta GLI 2014 Tiguan
      05-09-2016 09:21 PM #6
      2016 definitely has a different harness. I am currently waiting for http://maestro.idatalink.com To produce an adapter but it may be a while.

9. 05-10-2016 09:47 AM #7
      Thanks - and then I'd be able to buy one of those cheap units off of Ebay that promises plug & play compatibility?? :-)

10. 06-29-2016 10:57 PM #8
      Any new updates on this topic?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Cars
      2016 VW Golf R 6MT, 2004.5 VW GLi 1.8T 6MT
      07-17-2016 10:25 PM #9
      Where are you located? If you're near Western MA I have solutions for that vehicle to retain the OE features, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eric1234 View Post
      Hi There,

We just leased a new 2016 Tiguan S for my wife. The stock head unit is a bit of a disappointment - most notably, it doesn't even include Sirius.

I've searched around here a bit, and I've noticed that there are some really nice looking and cheap units available from China. (They may even be OEM??).

However, as I've looked around on here, it also seems that her 2016 Tiguan has a different interface (is it called MDI?) that would prevent any of the older OEM units from being Plug& Play. Are there wiring adapters for this?

So, what I'd like to do, is find a different head unit (that includes at least a Sirius tuner) that I can swap in. Ideally, it would include bluetooth hands-free compatibility, interface with the rear camera, interface with the steering wheel controls, and include either NAV or apple CARPLAY. Also ideally, it would be plug & play (or if not directly Plug & Play, use wiring adapters that would simplify the install). Do I need to do anything about a SIRIUS antenna, or is that already set?

Years ago, I'd done a number of audio system swaps in my other cars, but that was in the days when the only connections were power in, antenna, and speakers out.

And, of course, since this is a lease, I'd probably plan to remove it at the end of the lease term and put the OEM back in. Finally, I want to spend as little as possible to get all of wat I've described above.

How easy is it to get the stock radio out of the dash?

In terms of features:

Bluetooth Phone Hands Free Interface - MUST HAVE
      Sirius (or XM) - MUST HAVE
      Rear Camera interface - REALLY NICE TO HAVE
      Steering Wheel Controls - REALLY NICE TO HAVE
      NAV or CARPLAY - I'D LIKE TO HAVE

Thanks for any advice and tips!

Eric
      iNNovative Concepts: Audio, Alarms/Remote Starts, OEM Integration, etc.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      MECP Master Certified Technician
      2017 + 2018 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 12 Installers - North America
      2015, 2016, 2017, + 2018 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 50 Installers - North America

12. 10-29-2019 11:27 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by NFrazier View Post
      Where are you located? If you're near Western MA I have solutions for that vehicle to retain the OE features, etc.
      I'm near western MA how can we get in touch?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

13. 10-29-2019 04:12 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by NFrazier View Post
      Hi NFrazier,

I just saw your reply (I know it's been a while) - I'm near Hartford, so Western MA is quite close. Looks like we've got another neighbor also interested - perhaps we can arrange a group buy?! :-)