VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My car is just too wobbly.

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  HidRo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have a mk2 GTI 16V with a 1.8t with 380hp+/- in it. All stock arb's.
I have prothane bushings, new Vogtland springs (4cm), Bilstein B4 (original replacement) shocks and new strut mounts.

I hit the track this Saturday, and the car is just not right.
I feel the car is just not tight, and wobbles to much.

Even when going on a straight, the car will not go in a direct line. It's just mad to keep straight let's say.
Nankang NS2R tires, 120 compund, which are good, but still if feels the car just goes out too much.
So, I know that the shocks are not the best, but is there anything else that can help on this?

I'll put some videos online, but I don't think it will "get the feeling" out to you guys.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that when I have the pedal down, the front of the car will go "sky high".
You can see this on this video:
https://youtu.be/4JtlcSZnNTE?t=65
The front will be up all the time, and when I let go of the gas, it will come down a lot.

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
What are your alignment specs?
A decent alignment can make a world of difference especially if your toe is currently out.
Also, make sure your wheel bearings, shock mounts, control arm bushings are all good and everything is torqued at least to factory specs.

Alignment for road course:
-2.5 front camber
-0- toe (some will say slight toe out like 1/16, but I'd do -0- on a track car)
max caster

Rear (will need to use shims):
-1.5 rear camber
-0- toe

If you are a bit different or have specs you prefer, fine. This should at least get you headed in the right direction.

#4 ·
Ufff....
Alignment, stock for the road, the machine says -0.5º I believe.
The guy set it at -1º.

The rear, I have no shims, nothing, and it seems that I have the rear left wheel a bit to the inside, so I would say that the toe is massive wrong there. I believe I'll need to get a new rear axle.
Shock mounts are new, control arm bushings are new as well, wheel bearings are new too.
I'm not sure if we can change the caster on these cars.

But I believe that the worst thing I have is the shocks/springs combo. It feels too soft, and the car will not handle it self even on a straight pulling hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.