Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    1. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      04-16-2020 11:30 AM #301
      Quote Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf View Post
      Yeah, thank you! I'm chuffed with it. I've also got a "FS evolution" and a 2011 Bike S.
      bikes.jpg
      Bikes look great! You've got quite a nostalgic stable there - bikes I recognize from my prime riding time in the 90s and early 2000s.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5, Alltrac turbo project
      04-16-2020 12:01 PM #302
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      OP, amazing you found a Bike S! Plays beautifully with your car.
      What is the suspension on that S? Girvin?
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

Cars
      79 GLD, 03 GTI, 94 993
      04-16-2020 05:25 PM #303
      Bikes look great! You've got quite a nostalgic stable there - bikes I recognize from my prime riding time in the 90s and early 2000s.
      Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      What is the suspension on that S? Girvin?
      It's a Votec GS3. I think it has up to 110mm of travel but was set at 80mm when new. The elastomers have collapsed after 20ish years. I've got a new set coming from https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

5. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      04-16-2020 10:09 PM #304
      It's a Votec GS3. I think it has up to 110mm of travel but was set at 80mm when new. The elastomers have collapsed after 20ish years. I've got a new set coming from https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/
      Holy cow, that fork is rare. I recall from my 90s biking days that that fork was used only by that Porsche bike. And now googling Votec GS3 makes it appear that was the truth - the 3rd hit on Google is this page! Rare indeed. I wonder how anyone could have produced that fork in such limited numbers.

6. Member
      Cars
      An Austrian and a (coming) Czech.
      04-17-2020 02:07 AM #305
      How did I not know about the spectrum Rs??

Wonder if all allocations are gone...
      Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      --whether you use spit or lube, throw a little sand in there and nobody has a good time.

Cars
      79 GLD, 03 GTI, 94 993
      04-17-2020 06:12 AM #306
      Holy cow, that fork is rare. I recall from my 90s biking days that that fork was used only by that Porsche bike. And now googling Votec GS3 makes it appear that was the truth - the 3rd hit on Google is this page! Rare indeed. I wonder how anyone could have produced that fork in such limited numbers.
      From what I understand, all of the old (and maybe the new?) Porsche bikes are made by Votec. That said, I'm not an expert so I don't know how rare it is! Ebay Germany has been really useful when I'm on the hunt for parts!

Quote Originally Posted by strapontin View Post
      How did I not know about the spectrum Rs??

Wonder if all allocations are gone...
      According to the Spectrum VW Owners & enthusiasts facebook group, there are 11 remaining in the US - viper green and cliff green available "at richmond va. loyalty vw and west broad ve". That was five days ago. One Violet touch is car "is on VW’s hands and might end up as a CPO car at one point."

The VWOA "Golf family product manager" is on the page so she may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

8. Member
      Cars
      An Austrian and a (coming) Czech.
      04-17-2020 07:21 PM #307

According to the Spectrum VW Owners & enthusiasts facebook group, there are 11 remaining in the US - viper green and cliff green available "at richmond va. loyalty vw and west broad ve". That was five days ago. One Violet touch is car "is on VW’s hands and might end up as a CPO car at one point."

The VWOA "Golf family product manager" is on the page so she may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!
      But I’m in Brissie my dude!
      Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      --whether you use spit or lube, throw a little sand in there and nobody has a good time.

Cars
      79 GLD, 03 GTI, 94 993
      04-17-2020 08:33 PM #308
      Quote Originally Posted by strapontin View Post
      But I’m in Brissie my dude!
      My bad!

The final edition R hasn't been advertised in Australia so you might get lucky. As awful as it is, there may be a few available given the current situation.

Cars
      3x E6x, D3 A8
      04-18-2020 09:50 AM #309
      Is that a doge I spot on the back of your phone? Sweet car and a sweet woofer!
      Current: 2005 V70, 2006 E350, 2010 535i, 2007 E61 x2, 2007 A8
      Past Volvos: 1996 960, 1998 S70 T5M, 1999 V70R, 2000 V70, 2004 S60R
      Past Audis: B5S4, 1990 90 2.3qm

Cars
      79 GLD, 03 GTI, 94 993
      05-27-2020 06:50 AM #310
      Quote Originally Posted by alex_bgnet View Post
      Is that a doge I spot on the back of your phone? Sweet car and a sweet woofer!
      𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐨𝐛𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧. Good eye. 𝕨𝕠𝕨

Lockdown update!

Painting the bumper gave me the confidence to finally detail the paint. I used a $40 150mm random orbital polisher and am really really happy with the result. At first I was doing up to about 18 passes with the polisher, but I slowed down my passes as I got more confident and I think the last areas were about 6 passes. I used a combination of Meguiars Ultimate compound, ultimate polish and then finished and removed the final marks with Gyeon polish. I then protected the paint with Gyeon can-coat which is a bit like a ceramic coating. I didn't want to put a long lasting final coat on the paint in case I needed to do more work, but it looks great so far.

The coating makes water bead like crazy and the car almost cleans itself now.

Here's a before and after shot of the paint.

Paint on the car is single stage, so it was confronting to look at the pad. I was surprised to find that the roof is the only panel with a clear coat, indicating that it's the only panel that's an obvious repaint.

The paint has a lot more depth.

And shine.

The front guards have previously been plagued by white water marks. I had been able to temporarily hide them with Meguiars Scratch x and Meguiars glaze, but they always returned. I'm hoping that the more aggressive polish and coating will fix that problem.

I also took the opportunity to polish my MK4. My policy is to only polish to remove marks, but the paint is so much nicer now. It is silver so it hasn't popped as much as the Porsche but it looks great.

More pics once restrictions lift.

On the subject of restrictions . . . . My new Golf hasn't boarded the ship yet. It was impacted by the factory shutdowns and only finished getting built 12 days ago. Its scheduled to board a ship tomorrow. The frustrating part is that some cars have made it to Australia, so other people will be receiving theirs in the next two weeks. It's going to be a very long 6-8 weeks. On the plus side, it's more time to daydream about buying matching LMs and MK6 motorsport Recaros.

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      06-08-2020 12:18 PM #311
      My buddy Sinisbuilt on Instagram may be able to help you with center caps.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Cars
      79 GLD, 03 GTI, 94 993
      06-13-2020 08:37 AM #312
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      My buddy Sinisbuilt on Instagram may be able to help you with center caps.
      I'll check it out.

Impulsive update!
      I found a set of standard mufflers for sale and picked them up for a fair price. A set of Fister exhausts would be my preference but sourcing a set of cores, sending them for modification, currency exchange and freight charges make it difficult.

Instead I took the "new" set to an exhaust shop and they added a 1.5" bypass pipe. This allows a little more noise and rasp to get through. I went with 1.5" because I was worried 2" would be too loud.

In reality, it's basically the same volume but with more character - especially when decelerating. It pops and growls a lot more. It's how the car should have sounded before the bypass. I probably should have went with 2" but I'm still happy with the result.

While replacing the mufflers I couldn't resist starting the car with one missing. It sounded amazing. I only let it run for a few moments because the gases were directed towards the bumper bar.

Cars
      987.2 | GTI
      06-13-2020 02:08 PM #313
      Sounds really good!

Cars
      79 GLD, 03 GTI, 94 993
      06-28-2020 05:36 AM #314
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Sounds really good!
      Cheers Kiz!

So I was on facebook a few weeks ago and someone posted some shots of their former car. Turns out there's another Amaranth Violet 993 in Australia! I asked the guy a bunch of questions, but he didn't really seem interested in chatting. Anyway, I believe it's currently based near Canberra (<4 hours drive) so I might spot it at a car show some-time.

He also posted a few items in the for sale section and I bought his old spoiler. Barney's extra wing has always looked a bit weird to me and this has let me delete it. I'll miss seeing it pop-up in my rear view mirror but it will look cleaner without it.

Here it is after test fitting.

I was planning on transferring the grille from my old spoiler. I found out today that it's held in by glue, melted plastic and fiddly clips so now I'm on the hunt for more parts.

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      06-30-2020 12:13 PM #315
      Looks good!
      DCIVW
      CE.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213