Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
      Cars
      79 GLD, 03 GTI, 94 993
      03-28-2016 07:39 AM #1
      In the proud tradition of TCL, I thought I'd start a thread about my recent car purchase. I'll also update every now and then with mods and repair work.

So . . . Here we go!

I've wanted a 911 for the last few years. I had my heart set on a long-hood (pre '73) but I live about 3 hours from the nearest major city. The classic 911 market is really hot at the moment so I found it really hard to jump on any deals. In retrospect I was a little too picky at the start and I should have jumped before the prices went up.

My second preference was a 993. I set up email alerts and eventually found this - a 1994 911 Carrera in Amaranth Violet. Unfortunately it's a UK delivered car and it was 1500 km from home. Normally I wouldn't have been too swayed but I instantly loved the colour. It's also got the Recaro softback seats which were an expensive option.

I phoned the seller and got a good vibe. They emailed through the service history on the car. A few more phone calls (workshops / negotiation) and I booked a flight to pick it up.

About to board a dash 8 for my third flight - ever.

Short stop over in Sydney before flying to Brisbane.

I landed in Brisbane and caught a train into the city. I've never been to Queensland before so it was interesting to see the city. I went to my bank and got a cheque and then caught up with a friend who took the afternoon off to chauffeur me around in his caddy. We went to lunch and then headed to meet the seller.

I swooned at the colour but noticed a fair few scratches and dings on the paint. The seller showed me through the interior and I found it to be in great condition.

The car was calling me so I went ahead with the purchase.

Within 15 minutes I'd already had a guy in a ute try and race me.

So here it is getting its first refuel. Walking back to the car I was struck by just how small the 911 really is.
      The route

I told my work mates about the trip. The overwhelming opinion was that I should go inland rather than via the pacific highway. I ran a comparison of the traffic on the Roads and Maritime website. There were 33 traffic incidents within a kilometre of the Pacific vs 3 on the inland route. I was told that the inland route the smart choice but boring. So I decided to risk it and go via the pacific.

I left QLD at about 5pm. I lost an hour when I arrived in New South Wales (daylight savings) and stopped at Byron bay for dinner.

As I was parking the car I reached down to close the sunroof. I hit the wrong switch and activated the rear wiper. It let out a loud scratching noise.

Seller didn't mention that.

I still felt pretty good so I booked a hotel and pushed on to Coffs Harbour - another 240 km.

The headlights work pretty well but I still took the opportunity to tail a Land-cruiser which had Nuclear fusion headlights. It really helped as I was worried about animals. I probably was a touch ambitious and I got to Coffs at about 2330 and went straight to bed. I woke up pretty early and looked at the maps - almost 1100 km to home which was do-able in a day.

It turns out that Pacific Highway was a mistake. I'd imagined it would be like a diet version of the Great Ocean Road. Quaint small towns and nice scenery. It so wasn't. Limited overtaking and a tonne of roadwork. Nothing interesting to look at. I mean, the highlights were the big banana, a car dealership shaped like a clam and a daycare centre shaped like a bee hive. I should have listened to literally everyone and gone inland.

I packed the car in the morning and took a quick look around the resort. It's probably not a big deal for the coastal folks but it was pretty cool to have a beach to myself - for a few minutes.

I jumped in the car and stopped for an early McLunch and refuel in Taree.

Back on the road and I hit Sydney around 1500. I thought I might miss the worst of the traffic, but it was still pretty bad. It was good to be off the Pacific highway.

Traffic on the Hume Highway was light and I stopped at Yass for McDinner and fuel. It was about here that I realised I had only about 3-4 hours left and smiled. A moment later I realised I STILL had 3-4 hours. I then remembered I'd bought an audio book to listen to. About 12 hours too late. It helped break the boredom.

I caught up to a truck passing another on a hill. I rolled off the power early and dropped down to 3rd. The trucked finished the overtake and moved back into the left lane. I floored the accelerator. The engine screamed but there was no acceleration. I looked at the tacho and it was on ~6000 RPM. I took my foot off the accelerator for a moment and then reapplied it slowly and completed the overtake. For the last 250 km I was panicking that I needed a new clutch.

I got into my town and put the car into 6th at about 40km/h. Floored it and the same thing happened again.

FML.

I arrived home a little after 9pm. Overall trip average - 8.69 L per 100km over the 1478km. Not much worse than my Golf.

I slept really badly due to the clutch problem. The next morning I noticed that the clutch pedal was sitting much lower than the brake or accelerator. I stepped on the pedal and it returned to half height. I reached down and pulled it and it sprang to the normal position. Luckily the problem turned out to be a sticky clutch pedal rather than something more serious. A clean and lube and it's working normally.

My thoughts on the car?

When I drive my GF's fiesta or my golf, they feel like this in comparison. So light and easy to drive!
      Rides MUCH better than my golf. It's quite comfortable except for the seat belts which cut into my neck.
      The seats are awesome.
      The golf feels faster around town. You need at least 4000 RPM on the 911 before it wakes up.
      Ergonomics aren't great.
      All of the controls are heavy and you have to think about everything more than a new car. It's loud, grumpy and graceless at low speed.
      Most of the panels have small dents or scratches. The clear on the spoiler is peeling. I've polished out a couple of the scratches with minor success. I've attempted to remove the spoiler but it looks like I'll need to remove the entire OEM wing to get the spoiler off.
      The rear reflector is UV damaged. I've started to wet-sand it I think it should turn out ok.
      Rear speakers are toast. The cones have been baked in the sun. It's got crossovers and splits in the front and they sound pretty ordinary.

Anyway, here it is a couple of weeks later with new number plates.

I'll update with pics and comments as I fix it up.

Oh - it's been nicknamed Barney.
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      03-28-2016 07:51 AM #2
      Awesome story, car and color!!! Any more pics of the trip? Kinda upset I didn't see one 'roo or koala .

So why is a UK-delivered car considered a bad thing in your land?
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      03-28-2016 08:09 AM #3
      Great, story and thread. Gorgeous color!
      iain

Cars
      79 GLD, 03 GTI, 94 993
      03-28-2016 08:12 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Awesome story, car and color!!! Any more pics of the trip? Kinda upset I didn't see one 'roo or koala .

Cheers!

I really should have taken more photos but I just wanted to get home before dark.

I was amazed at how little wildlife I saw. I spotted about two dead animals during the entire trip. Glad there wasn't more!

Does this count?

Non Aussie is a bad thing because people assume a foreign car may have been LHD/RHD converted or have been subjected to harsh winters/salt. There's a bit of uncertainty about the cars history and Insurance companies are also a little reluctant to cover an import. Additionally, some cars are made to different standards/regulations for different markets - but this isn't an issue with Porsche.
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

6. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Cars
      His+Hers= Bose, THXII, 12 cylinders, 48v, 7.5L, 4 turbos, 795hp, torque vectoring, torsen, 28spks
      03-28-2016 08:15 AM #5
      These guys posting all of these Porsche threads are going to break up marriages. Some of us won't be able to hold back going out and picking one up

Cars
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG ect..
      03-28-2016 08:21 AM #6

Cars
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '91 M5 '08 Xterra
      03-28-2016 08:38 AM #7
      Excellent color combo!

I see you fixed that rear wiper issue.

Cars
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      03-28-2016 08:41 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf View Post

Does this count?
      No idea you guys had albino fluffy kangaroos. Weird place, Australia...
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

03-28-2016 08:50 AM #9
      Sweet. I've always loved amaranth. And ha, that pic with the pooch is awesome.
      '86 Jaguar xj-s 5.3HE coupe, cobalt blue metallic/blue
      '04 Jaguar x-type 3.0 saloon, platinum metallic/charcoal
      '96 Toyota Corolla, green/tan
      Bisixually disposed, lucas charged and coventry clothed

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-28-2016 08:51 AM #10
      Congratulations on the new car, it's beautiful! And thanks for sharing pics of your experience.

03-28-2016 08:57 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post

Do you ever watch Wheeler Dealers? Have you seen the state of the underneath of those cars?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

Cars
      '20 Volvo V60 T5 R-Design Polestar
      03-28-2016 09:05 AM #12
      Fantastic! 993 in purple? Yes please.

Cars
      '06 C55 AMG, '11 LS460 AWD luxo-barge & not quite enough motorcycles
      03-28-2016 09:12 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      These guys posting all of these Porsche threads are going to break up marriages. Some of us won't be able to hold back going out and picking one up
      I soooo shoulda risked my marriage for a 993 back when I bought the AMG. One's worth half what I paid and one would be worth 1.5-2x what I would've paid.
      Something witty will be in this exact spot soon.

Cars
      2016 Audi A6 3.0T S-Line, 2015 VW Touareg, 2014 Acura MDX, 2004 Passat GLX Sedan (MT!)
      03-28-2016 09:22 AM #14
      Great thread, OP! Doing it right!

Cars
      2012 Jeep Wrangler sport, 2015 GTI SE w/ PP
      03-28-2016 09:27 AM #15
      Love the purple, nice buy
      "Look pal, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like: what is beauty? Because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of Philosophy. I solve practical problems!" ~ Dell C.
      The Blue Crayon 2 - 2015 VW GTI with performance pack
      The Little Green Crayon - 2102 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport (modified for mud)

17. Member
      Cars
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      03-28-2016 09:31 AM #16
      Nice. Real nice.
      Looking forward to the updates!

Cars
      '16 Mercedes AMG C63 S, '18 Audi Q5, '11 Suzuki Equator
      03-28-2016 09:52 AM #17
      I have nothing to add except cool car, cool story.
      SOLD '14 Scuba Blue Audi Q5, '12 Mars Red MB C63 AMG, '15 Lapiz Blue VW Golf R, '13 Sepang Blue Audi S6, '11 Sprint Blue Audi S4, '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i, '04 Deep Blue Pearl VW R32

Cars
      2004 R32, 2012 Abarth
      03-28-2016 09:56 AM #18
      dat purple

I love it, beautiful choice
      Instagram: @clink_clank_clunk

Cars
      2007 GTI DSG
      03-28-2016 10:04 AM #19
      Congrats, OP. That's a really nice color combo.

21. 03-28-2016 10:25 AM #20
      Excellent, love it!!! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Cars
      Germany, 1986
      03-28-2016 11:40 AM #21
      Congrats, love that color.

IMG_9604.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

Cars
      M2 + LR4
      03-28-2016 03:13 PM #22
      Great looking car and nice Samoyed, good to know one can fit in the back. Gives me hope
      Mike

Cars
      2015 A3 TDI, 71 VW Squareback
      03-28-2016 04:15 PM #23
      looks great. congrats!
      GONE: 07 Rabbit, 07 A4, 08 R32, 10 CC, 81 Rabbit, 13 JSW, 15 GLI

Cars
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT
      03-28-2016 05:00 PM #24
      That is absolutely stunning. Congrats! Can't wait to follow along.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

26. Member
      Cars
      911, S7, JGC
      03-28-2016 05:06 PM #25
      Bleed your clutch. Fairly common problem, though I'm sure a good cleaning/lubrication didn't hurt.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast