Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Thread: New 3 Row SUV

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      03-24-2016 04:06 PM #1
      Okay guys and gals my lease is up this year on my Ford Focus Electric and my Xterra is 11 years old with 115K on it and needs more work then it is worth.

So I'm in the market for an Xterra replacement.

I have a few vehicles on my list and want to know what the group thinks of them.

Few notes I need an SUV for ground clearance as I drive where there is typically 4-8 inches of snow so can't get a Minivan. AWD/4WD is a must and the vehicle needs to handle steep inclines when fully loaded and possibly having a trailer. Also will be used for Home Depot runs and minor offroading.

Ford Explorer (V6 TT)
      Feels small inside compared to the large outside

Ford Expedition
      My favorite due to the size and capability although I wish it had better MPG. New model on the way makes me think this might look outdated in a year.

Hyundai Santa Fe (2017)
      Looks good on paper and my wife loves her Sonata. Not sure if the V6 will have enough power when loaded with kids, gear, and possible trailer. Lower price then others.

Kia Sorento
      Looks good on paper but I think the 3rd row might be too small.

Chevrolet Traverse
      Large vehicle with plenty of room to use third row and luggage. V6 might be a little weak.

Dodge Durango
      Really like this vehicle but worry about reliability.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      10 CC, 06 Pathfinder, 14 Forester, & 16 4Runner
      03-25-2016 06:37 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by nemesis099 View Post
      Okay guys and gals my lease is up this year on my Ford Focus Electric and my Xterra is 11 years old with 115K on it and needs more work then it is worth.

I have a few vehicles on my list and want to know what the group thinks of them.

Few notes I need an SUV for ground clearance as I drive where there is typically 4-8 inches of snow so can't get a Minivan. AWD/4WD is a must and the vehicle needs to handle steep inclines when fully loaded and possibly having a trailer. Also will be used for Home Depot runs and minor offroading.

Ford Explorer (V6 TT)

Ford Expedition
      My favorite due to the size and capability although I wish it had better MPG. New model on the way makes me think this might look outdated in a year.

Hyundai Santa Fe (2017)
      Looks good on paper and my wife loves her Sonata. Not sure if the V6 will have enough power when loaded with kids, gear, and possible trailer. Lower price then others.

Kia Sorento

Chevrolet Traverse
      Large vehicle with plenty of room to use third row and luggage. V6 might be a little weak.

Dodge Durango
      Just went through a similar situation in December 2015. Ended up with two finalist-Pilot and 4Runner. Ended up with the 4Runner (Limited w. third row) Third row is small, but love the vehicle.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      03-28-2016 10:02 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 02reflex1.8t View Post
      Just went through a similar situation in December 2015. Ended up with two finalist-Pilot and 4Runner. Ended up with the 4Runner (Limited w. third row) Third row is small, but love the vehicle.
      I'll have to check out the 4Runner. I'm worried about the Infotainment system in the Pilot because it is rated so poorly.

Expedition has been eliminated by my wife as being to large a vehicle and I think I may have eliminated the Explorer as the 2nd row seats seem really small on legroom but I'll have to compare that with some other vehicles first.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      03-28-2016 03:24 PM #4
      My vote goes to the Durango. All the other vehicles on your list are just jacked up cars.
      Current: 2015 RPGM Chevy SS Sedan 6spd - 2000 Chevy K2500 - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE
      Past: 1990 MB 300e @106k - 2011 JSW TDi 6spd @100k - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6spd @170k - 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon @123k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base @257k - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd @74k - 1993 Jeep GC V8 @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base @154k

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      03-29-2016 11:47 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
      My vote goes to the Durango. All the other vehicles on your list are just jacked up cars.
      I agree and really love the look, feel, and size of the Durango but I worry about reliability.

I don't do real off-roading so I think a car based will be fine. The key is just ground clearance so I can get through some snow.

Still disappointed my wife didn't like the Expedition and I don't think I want to wait for the 2018 model to come out.

8. Member
      03-29-2016 04:19 PM #6
      I agree and really love the look, feel, and size of the Durango but I worry about reliability.

I don't do real off-roading so I think a car based will be fine. The key is just ground clearance so I can get through some snow.

Still disappointed my wife didn't like the Expedition and I don't think I want to wait for the 2018 model to come out.
      I have no hard data to back this statement up but... I thought the new Durango's were fairly reliable?

You also mention steep inclines and hauling a trailer... My vote is still for the durango. Happy Shopping.
      Current: 2015 RPGM Chevy SS Sedan 6spd - 2000 Chevy K2500 - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE
      Past: 1990 MB 300e @106k - 2011 JSW TDi 6spd @100k - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6spd @170k - 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon @123k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base @257k - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd @74k - 1993 Jeep GC V8 @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base @154k

Cars
      Fiesta ST, Flex
      03-30-2016 10:31 AM #7
      Ford Flex?
      AWD is available, as is the Ecoboost... making it silly fast for such a vehicle, can tow 4,500 lbs. with the trailer tow package, and it has class leading 2nd and 3rd row room. I'd think it could go anywhere the other car based CUVs go.

Sit in the back of a Durango if you haven't already... I'm 5'10" and my head hits the roof.
      Last edited by saron81; 03-30-2016 at 10:35 AM.

03-30-2016 11:04 AM #8
      Mazda CX9? That thing looks sweet!

11. Member
      03-30-2016 03:37 PM #9
      I also like the Flex and my wife liked the CX9 when we looked at getting one briefly.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      03-30-2016 04:29 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by saron81 View Post
      Ford Flex?
      AWD is available, as is the Ecoboost... making it silly fast for such a vehicle, can tow 4,500 lbs. with the trailer tow package, and it has class leading 2nd and 3rd row room. I'd think it could go anywhere the other car based CUVs go.

Sit in the back of a Durango if you haven't already... I'm 5'10" and my head hits the roof.
      Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
      I also like the Flex and my wife liked the CX9 when we looked at getting one briefly.
      I like the Ford Flex but worry about the clearance. My wife hates the look and does not want the car at all or I would probably add it to the list.

I'll look at the CX9 when the new one is out. My wife loved her Mazda 6 and I like the new look Mazda is going for.

Cars
      2015/GTI/SE w Lighting PKG, 2000/VW/Jetta
      03-27-2017 01:12 PM #11

Ford Explorer (V6 TT)

Ford Expedition

Hyundai Santa Fe (2017)

Kia Sorento

Chevrolet Traverse

Dodge Durango
      My wife and I just purchased a '17 Pilot. That thing is sweet! We drove, Acura MDX and RDX, Toyota Highlander, Jeep Cherokee, Traverse and Sorento. Finally decided on the Pilot based on interior finish, price, engine and many other amenities for the little one. I personally liked the Explorer and Durango but the wife did not like them, so we didn't bother to test drive them since it was for her, I personally didn't like material finish on Traverse or Sorento, and didn't consider the CX9 as others suggested because of smaller engine.

Honestly, the Pilot Touring and Elite feel as if you are driving an MDX for 10k less. No regrets, wife is happy, kid loves it, and I like how spacious and powerful it feels. Not torquey but will speed up quickly if needed.

The infotainment system isn't bad, i hate it doesn't have a volume knob but you get used to quickly. Carplay is pretty cool. But considering it is for you, and putting myself in your shoes I probably would test drive the Durango if not definitely go for the Jeep I loved that thing but we needed a third row. Either V6 or V8, were great. V8 sounds cooler but gas might be an issue and will not have any problems with offroading.
      Last edited by magmacarat; 03-27-2017 at 01:16 PM.
      VRSociety #126

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      03-27-2017 03:24 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by magmacarat View Post
      My wife and I just purchased a '17 Pilot. That thing is sweet! We drove, Acura MDX and RDX, Toyota Highlander, Jeep Cherokee, Traverse and Sorento. Finally decided on the Pilot based on interior finish, price, engine and many other amenities for the little one. I personally liked the Explorer and Durango but the wife did not like them, so we didn't bother to test drive them since it was for her, I personally didn't like material finish on Traverse or Sorento, and didn't consider the CX9 as others suggested because of smaller engine.

Honestly, the Pilot Touring and Elite feel as if you are driving an MDX for 10k less. No regrets, wife is happy, kid loves it, and I like how spacious and powerful it feels. Not torquey but will speed up quickly if needed.

The infotainment system isn't bad, i hate it doesn't have a volume knob but you get used to quickly. Carplay is pretty cool. But considering it is for you, and putting myself in your shoes I probably would test drive the Durango if not definitely go for the Jeep I loved that thing but we needed a third row. Either V6 or V8, were great. V8 sounds cooler but gas might be an issue and will not have any problems with offroading.
      Thanks for the reply, believe it or not I posted this a year ago and still have my Xterra and I'm still debating on what to get next.

I'm not a big Honda fan which is the only reason why I'm not considering them. All my relatives have Hondas and love them but for some reason something feels off when I drive them.

Tomorrow I plan on checking out the Land Rover Discovery Sport, LR4 and possibly the Audi Q7 and will check out the new Land Rover Discovery when it comes out.

I will jump in and buy something at some point but just haven't found something that fits what I'm looking for.

Cars
      2015/GTI/SE w Lighting PKG, 2000/VW/Jetta
      03-27-2017 03:39 PM #13
      Thanks for the reply, believe it or not I posted this a year ago and still have my Xterra and I'm still debating on what to get next.

I'm not a big Honda fan which is the only reason why I'm not considering them. All my relatives have Hondas and love them but for some reason something feels off when I drive them.

Tomorrow I plan on checking out the Land Rover Discovery Sport, LR4 and possibly the Audi Q7 and will check out the new Land Rover Discovery when it comes out.

I will jump in and buy something at some point but just haven't found something that fits what I'm looking for.
      WOW talk about reviving a thread. Shouldve paid more attention, my apologies about that, guess the forum is kinda slow . I totally understand, this is our first honda and was pretty much the last SUV we drove and simply clicked. We were considering the Q7, Infiniti QX60 and 70, volvo XC90 and BMW X5 but we wanted to stay below a specific range to pay in 3 yrs or less like we did w my car. Also, to leave room for "upgrade". I know that IF I ever want to get an SUV for my daily, I will consider the Macan or SQ5, maybe a Jeep SRT or any AMG. I would like to know if you finally decided to replace your Xterra. Good luck!
      VRSociety #126

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      03-27-2017 03:43 PM #14
      WOW talk about reviving a thread. Shouldve paid more attention, my apologies about that, guess the forum is kinda slow . I totally understand, this is our first honda and was pretty much the last SUV we drove and simply clicked. We were considering the Q7, Infiniti QX60 and 70, volvo XC90 and BMW X5 but we wanted to stay below a specific range to pay in 3 yrs or less like we did w my car. Also, to leave room for "upgrade". I know that IF I ever want to get an SUV for my daily, I will consider the Macan or SQ5, maybe a Jeep SRT or any AMG. I would like to know if you finally decided to replace your Xterra. Good luck!
      I will let you know. The big issue is my wife who seems to be bipolar when it comes to cars. She feels they are all way to expensive but at the same time expects to have all the luxury touches.

I'm hopeful the Land Rover will fit and as long as it is under warranty we should be fine. Probably will pay for the extended one just to make sure we are covered if we do get it.

Cars
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      02-20-2018 11:28 AM #15
      Well I wanted to give you an update on this. After going to the Auto show here in Baltimore and a few dealerships I put down a deposit to get a Subaru Ascent Touring. This has been a really tough choice but after going to the show with my entire family my wife and kids eliminated a lot of vehicles and brought it down to 3 to choose from Subaru Ascent, Ford Explorer.

The Subaru checked all the boxes and I bet has a superior AWD system and more ground clearance than the Explorer and Traverse. The risk is a new model and the fact the Subaru has a turbo charged 4 cyl engine. The deposit we put down is fully refundable if we don't like the vehicle and if that is the case we would go get a Ford Explorer Sport or Platinum.

Cars we eliminated:

VW Atlas - My wife didn't like how high the hood seemed and how tank like it felt. I was mixed on the transmission and engine when I test drove it
      Chevy Traverse - We liked it but preferred the Explorer
      Ford Expedition - Too large would have to rearrange the entire garage to get it to fit with only a few inches of extra room
      Audi Q7 - Worthless 3rd row and very small storage compartments in fact I doubt you could put a CD case anywhere in the car
      Dodge Durango - Nice inside but some design features seemed really outdated. Wife still dislikes Dodge after having a Dodge Daytona that broke down multiple times on her
      Toyota Highlander - Third row too small and no Android Auto
      Land Rover Discovery - No Android Auto and quickly escalating price with features. Also the dealer near us was terrible which ruined the experience of looking at it in general

Now I'm waiting till late May early June to get the new vehicle which means I have another 5+ years before we start looking again.