Fourtitude.com - Just adopted a 6 month old black lab mix from my local shelter.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      Current: 2016 golf, 2004 passat
      02-04-2016 02:54 PM #1
      I have been looking for about 3-6 months now for a dog to rescue or adopt and after searching and searching, saw this little guy at my local shelter this past weekend. I went and met with him privately and then took him for a walk. Him and his sister were rescued from a hoarding situation in Georgia and was just recently brought here about a week ago. They said they are both lab mixes with they dont know what, but he is about 6 months old and weighs 19lbs. His sister, is also 6 months old but weighs about 35lbs and is a bit bigger. I think I can sort of see pitbull in his face but I am not positive. I like his size and he is very shy and calm even in the shelter. He is such a sweet boy and I had to have him. This is his pic from the shelter, I will post pics later this weekend when I take some.

I am still deciding on names. My top 6 are: Duke, Cruz, Rocco, Louie, Charlie, Jake

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      02-05-2016 10:35 AM #2
      I went ahead with Duke but I am still getting used to it. He is being so good. He hasn't peed or pooped inside the house and he slept throughout the entire night in his crate (in his new dog bed that he loves) without crying or barking. I couldn't believe it! It could be because he is 6 months old and someone already did the hard work. I took him on 2 walks last night and 2 this morning, he pooped once each time.

My condo is upstairs so you need to go up or down stairs every time you come in or want to go outside. I did notice he is scared of the stairs and cant go up or down them. I have to pick him up and carry him. I will work on him with that. I also taught him (or he already knew) how to sit, stay, lay down, and come. He is so cute and hope he isn't a terrorizer. I did notice he has a deep bark on him though when walking him and passing/seeing other dogs. We will work on controlling that.

Here are some pictures of him his first night in his new home.

4. Member
      Cars
      97 Ram 1500
      02-05-2016 11:20 AM #3
      Great looking dog! I have two black lab mixes, so I might be a little biased.

As far as determining breeds, I recently heard about tests you can perform at home and mail to a company to be analyzed. Considering doing this for my dogs so I can finally know what mixture of breeds they are. One such company is http://www.wisdompanel.com/.
      Keep Calm & Chive On

FKA gti_r_done

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Cars
      02-05-2016 12:37 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by cramerica View Post
      Great looking dog! I have two black lab mixes, so I might be a little biased.

As far as determining breeds, I recently heard about tests you can perform at home and mail to a company to be analyzed. Considering doing this for my dogs so I can finally know what mixture of breeds they are. One such company is http://www.wisdompanel.com/.
      Thank you! How big are they?

Thanks for the heads up I will look into them!

7. Member
      Cars
      97 Ram 1500
      02-05-2016 12:46 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by dunkadunkle View Post
      Thank you! How big are they?

Thanks for the heads up I will look into them!
      They are about 2 years 4 months old. They weigh about 90lbs. And this is a very lean 90lbs. They seem taller and built on slightly bigger frames than most labs I know.

Keep Calm & Chive On

FKA gti_r_done

8. Member
      Cars
      97 Ram 1500
      02-05-2016 12:48 PM #6
      Forgot to add, my neighbor is fairly certain they've got some Rhodesian Ridgeback in them.
      Keep Calm & Chive On

FKA gti_r_done