Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Cars
      01001011010011110 1010010
      01-26-2016 03:04 PM #26
      Buy one and don't look back, keep it nice, it will appreciate in value in a few years. I still think it is by far the best all around car I have ever driven in my life, and I have driven some bucket list stuff. The biggest issues I have are the extremely poor fuel economy and the fact you can not fold down the rear seats. I have spent extensive time in a 2013 with SSL and the Recaro seats, and also the cool ice white and blue updated MFD with the updated S-AWC display (Im not sure what year this was added, 2011 maybe?)

Best my brother has seen on a full tank of 93oct, mods being a Cobb tune for straight 3" TBE, and that is literally it for mods is about 210 miles, and it is always shifted at 2200rpm and usually driven to conserve fuel with the occasional pull to get around slower traffic. Almost all city driving in Navarre FL.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv-sold; 2003 yellow SRT-4-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built-sold ; 2011 Mk6

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Cars
      1961 Ferrari 250 GT California
      01-26-2016 03:06 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by EUROTHRASH View Post
      The interior (other than the fantastic Recaros) is very meh
      Was it the noise/harshness, or the quality/feel of the materials?

I ask because it's amazing what a couple hours with a friend, some beer, and about $150 in dynamat can do to make an otherwise *meh* environment into one that you can deal with much better. We did it with the Vortex project mk2--a mid-80s econobox--and the car is light years nicer to drive.
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

Cars
      01-26-2016 03:12 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I ask because it's amazing what a couple hours with a friend, some beer, and about $150 in dynamat can do to make an otherwise *meh* environment into one that you can deal with much better. We did it with the Vortex project mk2--a mid-80s econobox--and the car is light years nicer to drive.
      It is not even that bad, with a straight piped drone machine lol. The radio is moderately archaic, however the seats, the steering wheel, pedals, shift knob, e-brake handle are all quality materials. The dash is hard plastic as is the center console, but so is a Focus RS, and STI. With the Evo and possibly STI you are paying the money for the drivetrain not the interior like you would with a new Golf R.

With the drone and NVH there have been no interior rattles in my brothers Evo, the exhaust is getting redone to quiet it down alot, but the 4B11 sounds so good opened up.
      2008 Mkv-sold; 2003 yellow SRT-4-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built-sold ; 2011 Mk6

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      01-26-2016 03:13 PM #29

it's amazing what....about $150 in dynamat can do
      this is no joke.

back in high school, back when putting 12's and 15's in the trunk was all the rage, my best friend and i made a killing running installs for people. the biggest complaint we dealt with was rattling, and we fixed it with well placed dynamats. all the little rattles and **** that make it annoying are almost completely gone when installed properly. 10/10 would recommend this to anyone.

Cars
      2004 Volvo S60R
      01-26-2016 03:18 PM #30

There was some external noise, but nothing to write home about. My issue stemmed from cheap plastics, generic OEM head-unit and "squeaky" rubbing interior bits.

P.S. That resto project nearly forced me to buy another mk2.
      Never run out of real estate, traction, and ideas at the same time

l
      2004 Volvo S60R- Current l 1999 BMW M3 5.0- Sold l 2008 Mitubishi Evolution GSR- Sold l 2006 CBR 600rr - Sold l 2001 Ducati 748 Biposto - Sold l 1993 MR2 Turbo - Sold l 2006 Buell XB12 SCG - Sold l 1991 Jetta GLI VR6 - Sold l 1991 Volkswagen Corrado G60 - Sold l

Cars
      '19 Odyssey, '12 Sportwagen 2.5
      01-26-2016 04:20 PM #31
      I'll throw in some random info as I owned a 2010 GSR back around '10-'11:

There is no 2009 Evolution. I believe it was because they imported so many 2008's and had a problem clearing inventory (This was around the time of the 'great housing market collapse'). So 2008 & 2010-2016 are the model years for the X.

The 2010+ Evo's got the revised color MFD display. The 2008's have the old school red monochrome display.

If you can, get one with the SSS package. This stands for Sight (HID headlights), Sound (Upgraded Rockford Fosgate Sound System) and Spoiler (A bigger spoiler. If you're into that). The main advantage is the upgraded lights. I think it also included a keyless entry system. Fastkey or something like that.

The manual transmission is available on the GSR only. It is a five speed only. This was one of my biggest gripes on the car. High rev's on the freeway killed the mileage. An extra gear would have been perfect.

The interior on the GSR (at least the 2010 I owned) was the thinnest Alcantara seat covering ever. Think mouse fur. It held up OK for the ~1 year I had it but the wear was beginning to show. I would be worried about it in the long term.

Lots of bleak plastic on the interior.

Fuel economy sucked. I think I average 18 MPG

The ride is harsh. Suspension super stiff. (Of course, this is to be expected with an EVO. Dailying the car however, it quickly ground me down. Expect it and you'll be fine)

These things hold their value. I was able to trade the car in after a year for almost the exact price I bought it for (Got a $3k discount when new)

My base '10 GSR (No SSS) circa 2010:

Last edited by 03GTI4Me; 01-26-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Cars
      01-26-2016 04:57 PM #32
      What is the cause for the terrible fuel economy? The transmission doesn't seem geared that bad, but on a pull I have seen the real time MPG estimator bar dip to single digits

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      01-26-2016 05:13 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin splits View Post
      What is the cause for the terrible fuel economy? The transmission doesn't seem geared that bad, but on a pull I have seen the real time MPG estimator bar dip to single digits
      the gearing is terrible at highway speeds (65+) and it's a fairly large car (over 3200lbs) that has a small 4 cylinder motor. making 300+hp out of that small of an engine is going to mean real risks without pretty aggressive fuel mapping and large injectors. the car is also all wheel drive and that means that it is spinning a lot of moving stuff underneath it (power loss).

as we joke in the world of s2000's, want to know what injector duty cycle looks like at 9k rpms? ON. Boost is no different, you want it reliable, you need fuel.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      A really girly MK6
      01-26-2016 05:20 PM #34
      I almost bought one in the same color and year. But it had roughly 75K on it and was also pushing $24K -___-
      It was from a dealer, and it wasnt even in mint condition. Scuff here and there. 2 curbed wheels. Interior was ok.
      But I couldnt come to a agreement on a price. And, the interior killed it for me. Just so basic. Seats were nice though.
      Some kid I know ended up buying it like an idiot at the over-inflated price they had listed

I agree with what everyone else mentioned, the IX is cooler but tougher to find.
      And that price you mentioned is a really good deal (assuming the car isnt beat up).
      I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
      Follow me on Instagram, or dont. @Grave.Company

11. Member
      Cars
      NC Club, IS350F
      01-26-2016 05:38 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Saleen S7 TT View Post
      I guess it just depends on how far you want to push it, but I've read no more than 350-400 wheel torque. You can spend upwards of $4k-$6k on SST upgrades if you want more or if it breaks...
      Yeah that's true. You definitely need to upgrade the clutch packs and invest in a cooler of some sort if you want big torque. The transmission is expensive to upgrade, and even more to replace. But what do they say? Something something pay to something.

I think 400wtq is pushing it for the stock engine though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

**I'm here praising the sst, I'm hoping I don't break it at the strip this weekend .

Cars
      Too Many to List!
      01-26-2016 05:42 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomeBroke View Post
      my biggest questions will be concerning maintenance. the clutch info is huge, so i'll definitely look into that. my other questions are concerned with down the road problems. since you've owned one, what can i expect if i get into this car? what will i have to watch out for, replace, and keep up on? i've never owned anything from Mitsubishi, so i'm not too sure about what "quirks" it'll have.
      Mostly everyone's input has been pretty accurate. For the most part definitely the 2010+ were the better ones then the first year 2008. I never ran into large issues during the time of ownership. My largest gripe about the recaro seats were that the factory material felt really cheap. The stock engines are pretty much able to hold about 400HP safely give or take. They weren't as stout as the 4G63 was. However the 4B11 is still a great engine in my opinion. It was a little harder to make power on versus the Evo 8 and 9's and of course is overall a heavier car.

- During my ownership the ACD pump was starting to go bad (technically you can still drive with a bad pump). Was only acting up once a while, the new owner ended up getting it done under factory recall.
      - As stated earlier, the CD player went out (fixed under warranty).
      - Drivers recaro seat back adjustment broke (fixed under warranty).
      - Factory tires were terrible, easy fix by buying whatever tire you want.
      - Mitsubishi paint is cheap, a lot of the GSR's without the SSS package suffered from paint chips from the side skirts being too narrow and the wheels throwing all the road debris on the rear doors where it widens out. They fixed this issue in the 2010+ with the wider side skirts.
      - The staples around the belt loops in the seats were starting to come loose (nothing a upholstery shop can't fix.)

The gas mileage wasn't great. Granted I was running tune, intake, full exhaust. Once tuned is when the clutch began to slip around 30k miles.

Other than that the vehicle was great. Personally if the vehicle you're looking at checks out for that price, I'd buy it and never look back. I loved the vehicle. I will say Mitsubishi has never been known for the greatest build quality, but it was truly a great car to own, with so much aftermarket parts support and a large community.
      Last edited by donzilla2004; 01-26-2016 at 05:56 PM.
      Current Car: 2016 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
      Previous Cars: 2014 Focus ST2011 GTI, 2008 Evo X GSR, 2005 Evo 8 SSL, 2x 1997 Eclipse GST, 1995 240sx SR20Det

Cars
      2018 M3 Competition, 2002 Corvette
      01-26-2016 06:13 PM #37
      I've had a few Evo X's, with the latest being a Final Edition. They are fantastic cars, as long as you don't expect the car to be luxurious in any way. The 4b11 is very very easy to get more power from, it will rev to 7800rpm, and is in many ways better than the 4g63 if your goal is to make less than 500hp. A turbo back exhaust, three port boost controller and a k&n air filter in the stock airbox will net you this--

The difference you see in the graph are two maps I had made for me, one for hpde events, the lower output one, and one for daily driving, the higher one. I'm a member of www.scda1.com and attend 5-7 events on lime rock and njmp pretty much every year. Other than tires and brakes, not one single issue. These cars are meant to be driven hard, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a modified one, as long as it was done properly and not driven by a 20 year old. If you're going to modify it, get good parts. I bought nothing but AMS. Then get it dyno tuned by someone who actually knows these cars well. Evolutionm.net has all the info you need. Here are some pics of my 2011--

Still regret selling that car...so, I bought another--

Cars
      01-26-2016 06:51 PM #38
      Just to add-- common issues on 2008s- timing chain stretches over time. Will throw a CE light before you have a real issue, but you can't ignore the CE. The replacement chain is updated, and you won't have that problem again. Also, front diff pins. Can be expensive if it happens to you, but these nice folks http://sheptrans.com/product/evo-x-5...build-5-speed/ can make this transmission bulletproof should this happen, but it is rare. The 2010+ had that issue resolved. Other than that, check Carfax, do a PPI, find someone who has a paint meter to check if the car has been whacked and repainted and if all checks out, buy it. Also, to the people that get no fuel economy, I'm not sure I agree. I drove my Final Edition from Atlanta, GA to NYC and averaged 25mpg the entire trip. A few weeks back, I drove my wife's GTI on the same trip and got 30mpg. Considering the short gearing, 50% higher output, and AWD, I really don't think its bad. Around NYC, I get about 18mpg, which is 2mpg short of her dsg gti. Again, not a Prius by any stretch of the imagination, but not nearly as bad as my 2012 Mustang GT 5.0 use to be. Almost forgot, the clutch master cylinder is a known issue, but Mitsubishi has a recall for that, so you can just take the car in and get a new updated one for free.

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      01-27-2016 01:29 PM #39
      update:

i took it for a short test drive today (roughly about ten minutes).

it is a GSR, 5 speed. it has a few cosmetic mods but nothing mechanical/electrical. it's got a dash light on for maintenance but doesn't say what for.

pros: oh my god this thing is fun. tried out it's legs a little from 2-3 gear, and she's got more pull than i expected.
      the Recaros are incredibly comfy.
      despite not being able to adjust the seat up or down (as far as i could tell), it's a rather nice seating position.
      the wing didn't block the rear view as much as i thought it would.
      i've never been a stickler for interior quality, so it wasn't that bad to see cheap plastic everywhere. (if you're buying a car like this, interiors aren't high on your priority list)

cons:
      i'm hoping it's just in need of a clutch, otherwise the clutch goes waaaay too ****ing high for me. it's got good travel, stiff response, and doesn't seem to have much trouble. so that's nice. but the point at which the clutch grabs/releases is damn near where i take my foot off the pedal. please tell me it's just the clutch.

stock exhaust is crap.

gonna take some getting used to the noises but that's not really bad to begin with since i drive with the window down/cracked anyways.

Cars
      01-27-2016 01:38 PM #40
      The clutch on my new Evo grabs about half way up. So did my old one. I'd take it in for the clutch master cylinder recall, and see how things go after.

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      01-27-2016 01:40 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      The clutch on my new Evo grabs about half way up. So did my old one. I'd take it in for the clutch master cylinder recall, and see how things go after.
      if i do get this thing, i hope to God that's all it is. seriously, it was near the point where i take my foot off. that's how high it grabbed. that puts my knee nearly mid way up the steering wheel.

Cars
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      01-27-2016 01:53 PM #42
      if i do get this thing, i hope to God that's all it is. seriously, it was near the point where i take my foot off. that's how high it grabbed. that puts my knee nearly mid way up the steering wheel.
      This is where my Mazdas clutch grabs. Was super annoying at first but I got used to it. Thank goodness the pedal travel isn't too far.

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      01-27-2016 01:58 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      This is where my Mazdas clutch grabs. Was super annoying at first but I got used to it. Thank goodness the pedal travel isn't too far.
      i wish i could say i could get used to it. i had surgery on my left knee about a decade ago, to repair the torn MCL and stretched patellar ligament. my knee can only take so much punishment. (being early 20's, i also didn't take the rehab regiment seriously. fml) if it grabs about mid way, i can handle it. but being up that high wouldn't let me DD this car.

the stiff ride i can deal with, even not having heated seats, but my knee makes the rules on clutches. if it says no, i gotta listen.

Cars
      01-27-2016 02:00 PM #44
      my evo IX clutch engaged very high. when you drive it, get it up to 40-50mph, push the clutch down, rev the car about 2-2.5k over the normal road speed and dump the clutch out. if it sounds like a slipping automatic transmission, it's almost toasted. if it immediately drops back down to the correct rev range, you're probably good. high pedal is usually a sign of hydraulics issues and not a torched clutch. low engagement usually means the hydraulics can't keep up with a worn friction disc.

the pedal is also adjustable: http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tech_id=28

keep in mind a clutch replacement isn't a crazy expense on these cars, you could have it done for well under 1k. worst case, negotiate 5-700 into the price.
      Last edited by compy222; 01-27-2016 at 02:04 PM.
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      01-27-2016 02:03 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      my evo IX clutch engaged very high. when you drive it, get it up to 40-50mph, push the clutch down, rev the car about 2-2.5k over the normal road speed and dump the clutch out. if it sounds like a slipping automatic transmission, it's almost toasted. if it immediately drops back down to the correct rev range, you're probably good. high pedal is usually a sign of hydraulics issues and not a torched clutch. low engagement usually means the hydraulics can't keep up with a worn friction disc.

keep in mind a clutch replacement isn't a crazy expense on these cars, you could have it done for well under 1k. worst case, negotiate 5-700 into the price.
      honestly, i love the car. looks, performance (what i've read/seen), and AWD. i want to get it, and that's why i'm hoping you guys are right about the clutch. it just needs some TLC and it'll be right as rain. otherwise, i'ma be downing Bayer like Pez.

i'm gonna work on getting the final number solid, after having a mechanic look at it. if all looks right, i'll be posting pics of my new (to me) Evo.

wish me luck!

Cars
      01-27-2016 02:06 PM #46
      wish me luck!
      good luck buddy! it's hard to have more fun on 4 wheels...

Cars
      Too Many to List!
      01-27-2016 02:55 PM #47
      update:

i took it for a short test drive today (roughly about ten minutes).

it is a GSR, 5 speed. it has a few cosmetic mods but nothing mechanical/electrical. it's got a dash light on for maintenance but doesn't say what for.

pros: oh my god this thing is fun. tried out it's legs a little from 2-3 gear, and she's got more pull than i expected.
      the Recaros are incredibly comfy.
      despite not being able to adjust the seat up or down (as far as i could tell), it's a rather nice seating position.
      the wing didn't block the rear view as much as i thought it would.
      i've never been a stickler for interior quality, so it wasn't that bad to see cheap plastic everywhere. (if you're buying a car like this, interiors aren't high on your priority list)

cons:
      i'm hoping it's just in need of a clutch, otherwise the clutch goes waaaay too ****ing high for me. it's got good travel, stiff response, and doesn't seem to have much trouble. so that's nice. but the point at which the clutch grabs/releases is damn near where i take my foot off the pedal. please tell me it's just the clutch.

stock exhaust is crap.

gonna take some getting used to the noises but that's not really bad to begin with since i drive with the window down/cracked anyways.

There was a recall on the clutch slave cylinders I believe on the 2008 vehicles for them giving out since they were crappy cheap plastic pieces. There was a revised one, its quite possible it may have a clutch slave going out which could be covered under recall if it hasn't been done. A lot of people upgrade the the metal one from the previous generation with the kits that are sold online.
      Current Car: 2016 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
      Previous Cars: 2014 Focus ST2011 GTI, 2008 Evo X GSR, 2005 Evo 8 SSL, 2x 1997 Eclipse GST, 1995 240sx SR20Det

Cars
      01-28-2016 09:46 AM #48
      Sounds like a worn out slave cylinder. Get that warranty replaced and look for a braided stainless clutch line. The combination should put the pedal where you need it to be and a far better feel to it.

Cars
      01-28-2016 10:47 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin splits View Post
      Sounds like a worn out slave cylinder. Get that warranty replaced and look for a braided stainless clutch line. The combination should put the pedal where you need it to be and a far better feel to it.
      i also recall evo X's having a rather annoying clutch delay valve/restrictor. this can be removed quite easily if you're doing clutch hydraulics. there are about a half dozen diy's on evolutionm.net (great forum too if you need evo specific info).

Cars
      01-28-2016 10:58 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      i also recall evo X's having a rather annoying clutch delay valve/restrictor. this can be removed quite easily if you're doing clutch hydraulics. there are about a half dozen diy's on evolutionm.net (great forum too if you need evo specific info).
      They do, and its very very easy to remove. It even gives you a slightly better feel, which can just be the placebo effect. Problem is, pretty much everyone who has done it, has had some issues and gone back, hence why I never did it to any of my cars. When the clutch operates as it should, there really isn't an issue with it, from my experience. Yes, launch the car like you live your life a quarter mile at a time daily, and the cdv valve will help you kill it shortly. The stock clutch in the Evo X is known to hold well over 400 hp, as long as it isn't launched. Plenty of people on evom making that power with no issues. Also plenty of people on evom with over 100k on the stock clutch so I'm not sure why people bash them. This isn't a VW, where you need to upgrade the clutch as soon as you reflash the car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast