Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      01-26-2016 09:46 AM #1
      i've been toying with the idea of getting a new (to me) car for awhile now, and out of the blue an Evo X pops up for sale.

here's what i know about it so far:

42k miles
      2008 Evo X
      asking price is $18k
      previous owner was tired of driving it into the city

i just saw it today, so i haven't had time to go over it myself yet. since TCL is the place where car gurus gather, i figured i could pick the brains of people who know about Mitsubishi's STI fighter.

tell me everything i need to know before jumping off the deep end. pros, cons, what have you. learn me this car.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      mk5/ap1/sti
      01-26-2016 09:47 AM #2
      I have nothing to add except get an Evo IX. They are way cooler.

Cars
      95 mustang GT, 08 Goldwing , 2015 RAM, 79 Bronco
      01-26-2016 09:55 AM #3
      In for answers. I'm 99% sure this will be my next vehicle as well. My wife is on board so that's a good start right?

5. Banned IAmADonutAskMeAnything's Avatar
      Cars
      Automatic American Sedan
      01-26-2016 09:57 AM #4
      I trust the 4B11 more than the EJ25 for reasons that are absolutely not based upon fact or research.

Just get one because Evos rock.

6. Member
      Cars
      BMW X5 5MT, E70 X5 35D, Triumph Thunderbird 1700
      01-26-2016 10:05 AM #5
      I absolutely love that the color of Mitsubishi's blue is Blue By You

Get it - they rock
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Did you have to use a doll to show the jury where Matthias Mueller touched you?

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      01-26-2016 10:10 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomeBroke View Post
      i've been toying with the idea of getting a new (to me) car for awhile now, and out of the blue an Evo X pops up for sale.

here's what i know about it so far:

42k miles
      2008 Evo X
      asking price is $18k
      previous owner was tired of driving it into the city

i just saw it today, so i haven't had time to go over it myself yet. since TCL is the place where car gurus gather, i figured i could pick the brains of people who know about Mitsubishi's STI fighter.

tell me everything i need to know before jumping off the deep end. pros, cons, what have you. learn me this car.
      Seems like a pretty smoking deal compared to listings I've seen. I'm seeing cars with double the miles asking $25k. Is it stock? It's hard to find clean stock ones that haven't been flogged hard.

Cars
      Civic/Civic Allroad
      01-26-2016 10:18 AM #7
      In for info, I love these cars. There's very few of them around here and anytime one comes up for sale it's modified/beat/high mileage/overpriced.

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      01-26-2016 10:27 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Seems like a pretty smoking deal compared to listings I've seen. I'm seeing cars with double the miles asking $25k. Is it stock? It's hard to find clean stock ones that haven't been flogged hard.
      i haven't looked at it yet, but nothing was mentioned about any A/M work done to it. so far, i think it may be unmolested.

10. Member
      Cars
      '17 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
      01-26-2016 10:29 AM #9
      42k miles for $18k? That's an absolute steal. MR or GSR?
      Hope it's in good condition.

11. Member
      Cars
      '07 Infiniti G35x, '91 MR2 Turbo
      01-26-2016 10:34 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by kal-el21 View Post
      Don't get an MR, they are maintenance nightmares with the SST. Get a proper manual, they are much stronger and cheaper to fix.

My friend bought an MR and the SST had nothing but problems for months...
      Current: '07 Infiniti G35x, '91 MR2 Turbo
      Sold: '99 Procharged Firebird 650 HP, '06 GTI APR Stage 1, '05 GTO 460 HP, '08 Ninja, '01 Grand Prix GTP

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      01-26-2016 10:34 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by kal-el21 View Post
      don't know yet, but i'm gonna go take a peek at it on lunch today and i'll be back with more info. honestly, i love the looks of the Evo X over previous versions. shark nose ftw. but the AWD is the seller for me. with winters being like this, and me not moving any time soon, i need something to mitigate the snow and slush being a factor.

Cars
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      01-26-2016 10:37 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by d.tek View Post
      agreed. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-IX-MR-content

I had a IX MR. Great cars, if you can find one that hasn't been abused and modded to death. avoid the idiots that are going bonkers to make 500whp. you want a responsibly tuned street evo, the 3-350whp range is perfect for the chassis. tires are very important too, don't cheap out.

i've driven the X extensively. i'll tell you the IX is a better Evo, the X is a better car. much like the NA and NB miata, one is a better miata, one is a better car.

do be aware of the common Evo pitfalls, abuse/clutch damage, thin/easily swirled paint - particularly on black, idiot owners, and extremely high crash/damage rates. if it's a clean car with a few options, 18k for a 42k mile example is a great deal. when you test drive it, be a bit hard on it, you won't see the issues until you push it higher into the rev band and really heat everything up. the good ones will feel alive under you, the bad ones will feel cheap and junky.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      2004 Volvo S60R
      01-26-2016 10:38 AM #13
      I had one for about a year, and loved driving it. My gripes were the things you'll read about online. The interior (other than the fantastic Recaros) is very meh. I went with the SSL package and was thoroughly impressed with the stereo system. The windshield fluid pump is hilariously loud.

Things you'll want to ask the owner:

Has he noticed any whines?
      Has he had the ACD pump relocated/replaced?
      Transfer case fluid changed?
      Stock turbo?
      Has the turbo been checked for bent fins/shaft play?

Never run out of real estate, traction, and ideas at the same time

l
      2004 Volvo S60R- Current l 1999 BMW M3 5.0- Sold l 2008 Mitubishi Evolution GSR- Sold l 2006 CBR 600rr - Sold l 2001 Ducati 748 Biposto - Sold l 1993 MR2 Turbo - Sold l 2006 Buell XB12 SCG - Sold l 1991 Jetta GLI VR6 - Sold l 1991 Volkswagen Corrado G60 - Sold l

Cars
      2019 Hyundai Ioniq
      01-26-2016 10:41 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by d.tek View Post
      Yet the Evo X is quicker, safer, and nicer to live with. Op just buy one and enjoy it.

Cars
      '12 Urano Gray CC R-Line 6MT
      01-26-2016 10:42 AM #15
      ask if the clutch was recently replaced or check if its not slipping. I remember that has always been a weak spot with these cars.
      Other than that i loved mine. It wasn't as sophisticated as the euro cars that i have now, but tons of fun, easy to mod, and solid.
      With simple TBE, intake and conservative flash it was running 320 whp.

Cars
      01-26-2016 10:43 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      Yet the Evo X is quicker, safer, and nicer to live with. Op just buy one and enjoy it.
      the X is not actually faster. it is safer, quieter, and easier to live with. again, it's a better car than the IX. the IX is a better evo, because it will make you think it's trying to murder you at all times.
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

18. Member
      01-26-2016 10:46 AM #17
      I love these things! They're hardcore though. Really tough to drive to and from work every day.
      Current: 2018 WRX
      Past: 2014 GLI Edition 30
      2003 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition
      1998 Jetta K2
      Instagram: @the_good_captain

Cars
      Too Many to List!
      01-26-2016 10:56 AM #18
      I guess the question is what are you interested in knowing about the car?

I've owned two evos in the last couple of years and Evo 8 and a Evo X, my X was a 2008 GSR 5speed.

Somethings to look out for.
      - There is a recall out for the ACD pump for the AWD system, I'm assuming that the owner has probably already had it done, but you can always call the dealer with the vin and they can check.
      - If it has the factory head unit in it, check to see if the CD player works, a lot of them had issues with the CD players going bad (unless you don't really care and plan to do a new head unit.)
      - A lot of the earlier X's had timing chain issues and had chain stretch. However that normally throws a check engine light and usually occurred on ones that were modified heavier.
      - Has he done all the fluids yet in the trans? Rear Diff? Transfer Case?
      - The trunk is tiny

My X never gave me many issues. It was a reliable car, wasn't the best highway car as they just aren't geared for it. Always felt like it needed a next gear when cruising around 65 to 70 mph. The interiors weren't the highest of quality. The plastics definitely felt a little cheap, but you're not paying for the interior at this point. Overall I would probably own another one. The up keep on the vehicle wasn't bad. The price that the seller has it for is a pretty killer deal. However I wouldn't be surprised if its coming up to needing a clutch soon based on mileage unless he's already done one.

My wife liked the Evo X better, it was more comfortable, where as my Evo 8 was more of a raw car. The both have their pros and cons. I think personally I would own another Evo X, but probably not another Evo 8. I personally would've liked to own a 9 as well as from the ones I've rode it tend to be more of the middle line between the two.

Pics of my two evos for inspiration.

Last edited by donzilla2004; 01-26-2016 at 11:01 AM.
      Current Car: 2016 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
      Previous Cars: 2014 Focus ST2011 GTI, 2008 Evo X GSR, 2005 Evo 8 SSL, 2x 1997 Eclipse GST, 1995 240sx SR20Det

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      01-26-2016 11:02 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by donzilla2004 View Post

I've owned two evos in the last couple of years and Evo 8 and a Evo X, my X was a 2008 GSR 5speed.

- There is a recall out for the ACD pump for the AWD system, I'm assuming that the owner has probably already had it done, but you can always call the dealer with the vin and they can check.
      - If it has the factory head unit in it, check to see if the CD player works, a lot of them had issues with the CD players going bad (unless you don't really care and plan to do a new head unit.)
      - A lot of the earlier X's had timing chain issues and had chain stretch. However that normally throws a check engine light and usually occurred on ones that were modified heavier.

My X never gave me many issues. It was a reliable car, wasn't the best highway car as they just aren't geared for it. Always felt like it needed a next gear when cruising around 65 to 70 mph. The interiors weren't the highest of quality. The plastics definitely felt a little cheap, but you're not paying for the interior at this point. Overall I would probably own another one. The up keep on the vehicle wasn't bad. The price that the seller has it for is a pretty killer deal. However I wouldn't be surprised if its coming up to needing a clutch soon based on mileage unless he's already done one. Pics of my two evos for inspiration.
      my biggest questions will be concerning maintenance. the clutch info is huge, so i'll definitely look into that. my other questions are concerned with down the road problems. since you've owned one, what can i expect if i get into this car? what will i have to watch out for, replace, and keep up on? i've never owned anything from Mitsubishi, so i'm not too sure about what "quirks" it'll have.

Cars
      01-26-2016 12:18 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomeBroke View Post
      my biggest questions will be concerning maintenance. the clutch info is huge, so i'll definitely look into that. my other questions are concerned with down the road problems. since you've owned one, what can i expect if i get into this car? what will i have to watch out for, replace, and keep up on? i've never owned anything from Mitsubishi, so i'm not too sure about what "quirks" it'll have.
      biggest and most consistent complaints are clutch life, OE tire life (short), mediocre paint quality (it got a bit better on the X's), and fluid changes. you have to keep up on the fluid changes in these cars. personally, i ran the OE fluids, despite them being a bit pricey. the 5 speed gearbox is rock solid and good for very high hp, the OE clutch is a different story. it really depends on how modded it is and how often it is driven. i had 58k on my IX with an OE clutch despite being tuned, this was considered a pretty long life given how abused some of these cars are. as a plus, the X's do not have a timing belt and will not need a fairly pricey 60k service. the X's have a small trunk with no pass through or folding seats. and the gas tank, as stated by others, means short legs...given how punishing the ride can be, a break every few hundred miles isn't bad. watch aftermarket exhausts because the cheap ones drone like crazy.

another thing to mention, i'm editing to add this, in my experience a solid reflash can often next good power without any risks. avoid tuners who want mega hp. the OE tunes on these cars aren't that great to begin with and a solid aftermarket tune can actually improve power, mileage, and have no ill reliability affects. i had no lift to shift, launch control, jdm mivec maps, and a conservative fuel map tune... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXriq5Cl7s here is tephramod NLTS.

generally speaking, provided they aren't beaten/modded to death and they are fairly well maintained they will hold up well. they were designed for a hard life from the beginning and if one hasn't been modded out the wazoo, it should be quite reliable.
      Last edited by compy222; 01-26-2016 at 01:34 PM.

22. Member
      01-26-2016 12:53 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by donzilla2004 View Post

It's not a recall but an extension of the warranty on this part to 10yr/100k miles
      Yup. A swap to the 2014/15 touchscreen head unit can get you the option of a back up camera too.
      - The trunk is tiny
      Drinks premium and with the gas light coming on around 11-12 gallons down, you only get ~250mi / tank.

Aside from the notes, I pretty much have to agree with the above. I have an '11 MR that my wife dailies and a '15 GSR that it mine, all mine. They've both been flawless from a reliability perspective.

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      01-26-2016 01:57 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      biggest and most consistent complaints are clutch life, OE tire life (short), mediocre paint quality (it got a bit better on the X's), and fluid changes. you have to keep up on the fluid changes in these cars. personally, i ran the OE fluids, despite them being a bit pricey. the 5 speed gearbox is rock solid and good for very high hp, the OE clutch is a different story. it really depends on how modded it is and how often it is driven. i had 58k on my IX with an OE clutch despite being tuned, this was considered a pretty long life given how abused some of these cars are. as a plus, the X's do not have a timing belt and will not need a fairly pricey 60k service. the X's have a small trunk with no pass through or folding seats. and the gas tank, as stated by others, means short legs...given how punishing the ride can be, a break every few hundred miles isn't bad. watch aftermarket exhausts because the cheap ones drone like crazy.

another thing to mention, i'm editing to add this, in my experience a solid reflash can often next good power without any risks. avoid tuners who want mega hp. the OE tunes on these cars aren't that great to begin with and a solid aftermarket tune can actually improve power, mileage, and have no ill reliability affects. i had no lift to shift, launch control, jdm mivec maps, and a conservative fuel map tune... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXriq5Cl7s here is tephramod NLTS.

generally speaking, provided they aren't beaten/modded to death and they are fairly well maintained they will hold up well. they were designed for a hard life from the beginning and if one hasn't been modded out the wazoo, it should be quite reliable.
      OE tires aren't gonna be used, cause i'm in love with the Conti DWS06 tires currently. and as i mentioned before, there's been no mention of any A/M work done to it, so this may be a completely (dare i say it?) stock Evo with low miles. still waiting on the email with it's info so i can figure out if it's MR or GSR. as far as pricey maintenance goes, i'm not one to cheap out on taking care of a car. as far as i'm concerned, you get out of it what you put into it. if i spend more for the more reliable stuff, she'll take care of me down the road. the one motto i live by with cars is "i'd rather spend a little more now, than a lot more later". basically, buying the $30 a bottle gearbox fluid vs the $15 crap at pepzone/autoboys is better than having to pay $3k for the tranny when it ****s itself from having used cheap fluid.

before i get to thinking about a tune, i'm gonna first worry about whether or not this would be a viable purchase. then, i'll worry about getting used to how it drives as is. last thing i need to do is tune a car i'm already not used to and have more power than expected coming out of a turn. been there done that, kept the sign i damaged from being used against me as evidence.

24. Member
      Cars
      NC Club, IS350F
      01-26-2016 02:18 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Saleen S7 TT View Post
      Don't get an MR, they are maintenance nightmares with the SST. Get a proper manual, they are much stronger and cheaper to fix.

My friend bought an MR and the SST had nothing but problems for months...
      What is a "proper manual"? I have sst and have launched it many times with over 300 whp on a mustang dyno, and it has been bulletproof *knock on wood*. The gears feel really short in the gsr 5spd, which was a factor in me getting an mr. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the gsr's hit 5th gear in a 1/4 mile. The sst isn't the quickest dct, but it isn't too bad.

Op, regardless of whether its an mr or gsr, assuming it's been properly maintained, it sounds like a pretty good deal. These cars are pretty reliable and can handle quite a bit of power. I love daily driving mine. If you're a dashstroker, turn away. My interior started almost right after buying the car new.

Unfortunately I have a '15, which doesn't have recaros. I bought a set and used them for a while, but they were in crappy shape so I sold them and put the oem '15 seats back in. If you do buy the car, which you should, I'm gonna need you to sell me your seats .

25. Member
      Cars
      NC Club, IS350F
      01-26-2016 02:23 PM #24
      Oh and I forgot to add it's incredible how well these cars respond to the simplest of mods. I gained 75whp with less than 1k in mods/tune.

26. Member
      Cars
      '07 Infiniti G35x, '91 MR2 Turbo
      01-26-2016 02:38 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by jpwalker90 View Post
      What is a "proper manual"? I have sst and have launched it many times with over 300 whp on a mustang dyno, and it has been bulletproof *knock on wood*. The gears feel really short in the gsr 5spd, which was a factor in me getting an mr. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the gsr's hit 5th gear in a 1/4 mile. The sst isn't the quickest dct, but it isn't too bad.

Op, regardless of whether its an mr or gsr, assuming it's been properly maintained, it sounds like a pretty good deal. These cars are pretty reliable and can handle quite a bit of power. I love daily driving mine. If you're a dashstroker, turn away. My interior started almost right after buying the car new.

Unfortunately I have a '15, which doesn't have recaros. I bought a set and used them for a while, but they were in crappy shape so I sold them and put the oem '15 seats back in. If you do buy the car, which you should, I'm gonna need you to sell me your seats .
      I guess it just depends on how far you want to push it, but I've read no more than 350-400 wheel torque. You can spend upwards of $4k-$6k on SST upgrades if you want more or if it breaks...
      Current: '07 Infiniti G35x, '91 MR2 Turbo
      Sold: '99 Procharged Firebird 650 HP, '06 GTI APR Stage 1, '05 GTO 460 HP, '08 Ninja, '01 Grand Prix GTP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast