Fourtitude.com - American Citizen to Canada. Passport?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2018 Atlas 4MO, 2008 3.6L Passat 4Mo, 98 O2M 3.0L VRT, '04 .:R32, 2014 CC R-line
      01-19-2016 07:35 PM #1
      Hi all,

If DRIVING across the border what are the necessary documents needed?
      I've heard way too many differing opinions on this question.

Thanks in advance!

Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      01-20-2016 11:59 AM #2
      Your best bet is to bring a passport, especially returning to the US. The days of just driving across with a drivers license is gone which I used to do back in the 90's for work.

Cars
      2018 Atlas 4MO, 2008 3.6L Passat 4Mo, 98 O2M 3.0L VRT, '04 .:R32, 2014 CC R-line
      01-20-2016 03:39 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      Your best bet is to bring a passport, especially returning to the US. The days of just driving across with a drivers license is gone which I used to do back in the 90's for work.
      I'll put the trip off until I get a passport...I've never had one in my 42 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      01-28-2016 03:03 PM #4
      Some of the border states issue an enhanced drivers license. It's less expensive than a passport and can be used when driving across the boarder. If you are flying you'll need a passport. Check with your DMV office for your state.

Michigan

Applying for an Enhanced Driver's License (Over 18, Already Licensed)
      The enhanced driver's license is a cost-effective and convenient document that meets driving, identification and border-crossing needs. It is a federally approved document that allows you to re-enter the U.S. when traveling by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. While not required, the enhanced license is an excellent alternative to a standard license because it is especially handy for business travel, vacations or quick trips. Several states, in addition to Michigan, offer an enhanced license.
      Applying for an Enhanced Driver's License
      To upgrade your valid Michigan or out-of-state license to an enhanced Michigan license, follow these steps.

Eligibility:
      1.You must be a U.S. citizen and a Michigan resident
      2.You must have no violations, suspensions, revocations or denials on your driving record that would prevent you from legally operating a motor vehicle

Please note: When applying for an enhanced driver's license, your first and last name and date of birth on your identity and citizenship documents should match. If your current legal name is different from what is shown on your citizenship document, you must present lawful proof of the name change, such as an original marriage license, divorce decree or court order.

To apply:
      1.Visit any Secretary of State office. Make sure you bring documentation of: a.A valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)
      b.U.S. citizenship (for example, a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal, must be issued by a governmental unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory)
      c.Identity (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card)
      d.Residency (for example, a current Michigan photo license or ID card)
      Please refer to the Documents Required for an Enhanced License or ID form for a complete list of acceptable documentation.

2.Have a new photograph taken
      3.Pay $45 for the standard enhanced license. There are additional fees for an enhanced chauffeur license and Commercial Driver License designations and endorsements.

All documentation is subject to Department of State approval. In some cases, document approval may not occur in the same day and may require an additional visit.

Once you complete the enhanced license application process, you will be issued a Temporary Operator's Permit to drive. The operator's permit does not qualify as a secure document for border-crossing purposes. Your enhanced license is valid for up to four years and should arrive in the mail within two to three weeks.

Michigan also issues an enhanced Graduated Driver License (for teens under 18), chauffeur license and Commercial Driver License. If you are over 18 and have never had a driver's license, you must successfully complete the written knowledge, vision, road signs and driving skills tests before a license can be issued.

Related content
      > Enhanced License Fees
      > Documents Required for an Enhanced License or ID (PDF)
      > Where to Apply for an Enhanced License or ID

> U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Requirements for Residents on Vacation

Cars
      01-28-2016 07:08 PM #5
      Thanks for the help guys...
      Unfortunately I'm back to square one.
      PA does not offer the EDL option according to their website FAQ.
      http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/DV...earners_ID.pdf

Edit: to help others who may come across this thread in search of answers, this excerpt of a USAToday article pretty much sums it up:
      "When returning to the United States by air, all American citizens must present a valid U.S. passport, available through the State Department (travel.state.gov). Americans returning from Canada by land or sea may present a passport card, NEXUS card or an enhanced drivers license to re-enter the country. Though a birth certificate is accepted as proof of citizenship when entering Canada, it is not considered an acceptable form of citizenship for adults returning from Canada."

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/docum...ada-60967.html
      Unknown publication date
      Last edited by nater; 01-28-2016 at 07:13 PM.

8. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      01-28-2016 07:24 PM #6
      If you don't want to jump through those hoops, just get a big truck/van and hide inside the van. I'm sure there's a reddit /illegals page you can check for ideas.

I have an EDL here in WA, but I'm going to need a passport sooner or later. Just makes it easier.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Cars
      XJ
      02-16-2016 04:36 PM #7
      You can use a passport card to travel internationally by land, but you might as well spend the extra and buy the book if you ever want to fly out of the country in the future.
      Last edited by zrace07; 02-16-2016 at 04:38 PM.
      VWfiends

*** MK3 PARTS FOR SALE *** Cabrio visors, Aux input OE radio, Vento grille halves, Amber turns, 5x100 -> 112 adapters, and more!

Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      03-27-2016 05:16 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      If you don't want to jump through those hoops, just get a big truck/van and hide inside the van. I'm sure there's a reddit /illegals page you can check for ideas.
      This.

Just get a valid passeport.