Fourtitude.com - Hesitation between 2,000-3,000 RPMs - Stutter and what feels like wheel hop
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. Member
      Cars
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      01-07-2016 09:28 PM #26
      You REALLY need to scan for codes. Get Vag-Com or find someone who does. There's a list out there on the interwebs of people with Vag-Com who are willing to do a scan for you at low or no cost. Misfires from carbon or coil packs can throw codes without triggering a CEL. If you are getting misfires in some cylinders, swap coil packs and see if the misfires follow the coil pack.

Did you check your cam follower? That's an engine killer if it's going out.

Another possibility is the "thrust" sensor on the HPFP, but for me the symptoms were similar to yours but only when the fuel temperature was high. Mine got replaced under warranty.
      Quote Originally Posted by MachnickiA3 View Post
      stick that in your "fleshy patch"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-07-2016 10:34 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      You REALLY need to scan for codes. Get Vag-Com or find someone who does. There's a list out there on the interwebs of people with Vag-Com who are willing to do a scan for you at low or no cost. Misfires from carbon or coil packs can throw codes without triggering a CEL. If you are getting misfires in some cylinders, swap coil packs and see if the misfires follow the coil pack.
      As I mentioned, Code P0304: Cylinder 4 misfire detected.

I wonder if I can order new coils from Autozone/Advance for store pick-up, swap them in and see if the stutter stops. If it does I'll order new coils from ECS and return the others locally.

4. Member
      Cars
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      01-08-2016 12:54 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
      As I mentioned, Code P0304: Cylinder 4 misfire detected.

I wonder if I can order new coils from Autozone/Advance for store pick-up, swap them in and see if the stutter stops. If it does I'll order new coils from ECS and return the others locally.
      I believe you would get more detail from Vag-Com than a generic OBD scan from Autozone. Usually parts stores have a no return policy on electrical items... exchange only. Better off swapping the coil on cylinder 4 with the coil on cylinder 1 or 2 and see if the misfire follows the coil. The original coils on my car did not last long at all (known to be defective) and were replaced under warranty. The replacements have been flawless.

5. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-08-2016 08:51 AM #29
      I believe you would get more detail from Vag-Com than a generic OBD scan from Autozone. Usually parts stores have a no return policy on electrical items... exchange only. Better off swapping the coil on cylinder 4 with the coil on cylinder 1 or 2 and see if the misfire follows the coil. The original coils on my car did not last long at all (known to be defective) and were replaced under warranty. The replacements have been flawless.
      You're probably right about the VAG-COM/scan tool. Just another update I had no bucking/surging whatsoever this morning on my commute to work. I will say the initial crank/cold start wasn't instantaneous though.

I spoke with an online rep at Advance, and they told me I could return the coils for a full refund as long as it's within 90-days. I am leaning on this route.

Cars
      2011 Audi A3
      01-08-2016 11:51 AM #30
      You're probably right about the VAG-COM/scan tool. Just another update I had no bucking/surging whatsoever this morning on my commute to work. I will say the initial crank/cold start wasn't instantaneous though.

I spoke with an online rep at Advance, and they told me I could return the coils for a full refund as long as it's within 90-days. I am leaning on this route.
      I have a VAGCOM and that's exactly what it told me: P0300 cylinder 2 misfire detected.

Also, I bought my coils from O'reilly's and they had a life time warranty on them so 4 months later I went in and told them that they were not working/faulty and they replaced all four for me, give that a go.

My cars check engine light came on AGAIN this morning and also ran like it used to (like ****) called the dealer and I am taking it back in another hour or so... fml.

Cars
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      01-08-2016 12:00 PM #31

Did you check your cam follower? That's an engine killer if it's going out.

Another possibility is the "thrust" sensor on the HPFP, but for me the symptoms were similar to yours but only when the fuel temperature was high. Mine got replaced under warranty.
      Listen to this man. Scanning with a VAG-Com is a world of difference compared to a generic OBDII code scanner at Autozone or whatever. If you are having fuel cuts or fuel pressure issues they may not set a MIL code (the only way the OBDII scanner will see anything) but they will show up with a VAG-Com scan.

His suggestion to swap the #4 coil pack with another cylinder to see if the misfire follows it is spot-on as well. I'd try this before replacing all of the coil packs, regardless of your ability to return them, because then you are narrowing it down rather than possibly introducing more variables.

Your car is a 2008, which means it could have the older "FSI" engine or the newer "TFSI/TSI" engine. Do you know for sure which it has? If it's the older "FSI" then definitely check the HPFP cam follower immediately if not sooner.

You seem to not care too much about actually finding the root of the problem and fixing it since you are ready to move on to another car, but it could be a fairly simple fix that could provide more enjoyment and use out of your car for a while to come. As Ponto said earlier, 115,000 miles is not all that much on a car these days, and if you are willing to do a little preventative work and can put forth the effort to learn how to troubleshoot issues yourself, you can get several more years of serviceable life out of your A3.

8. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-08-2016 01:00 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      Listen to this man. Scanning with a VAG-Com is a world of difference compared to a generic OBDII code scanner at Autozone or whatever. If you are having fuel cuts or fuel pressure issues they may not set a MIL code (the only way the OBDII scanner will see anything) but they will show up with a VAG-Com scan.

His suggestion to swap the #4 coil pack with another cylinder to see if the misfire follows it is spot-on as well. I'd try this before replacing all of the coil packs, regardless of your ability to return them, because then you are narrowing it down rather than possibly introducing more variables.

Your car is a 2008, which means it could have the older "FSI" engine or the newer "TFSI/TSI" engine. Do you know for sure which it has? If it's the older "FSI" then definitely check the HPFP cam follower immediately if not sooner.

You seem to not care too much about actually finding the root of the problem and fixing it since you are ready to move on to another car, but it could be a fairly simple fix that could provide more enjoyment and use out of your car for a while to come. As Ponto said earlier, 115,000 miles is not all that much on a car these days, and if you are willing to do a little preventative work and can put forth the effort to learn how to troubleshoot issues yourself, you can get several more years of serviceable life out of your A3.
      I'll have to look at the VAG-COM Locator site and see if I can find someone. Unfortunately the site isn't updated regularly. A local Advance has compatible coil packs in stock, so I'm going to swing by tomorrow morning, buy and install them and just see if that helps. It's easier for me to test this way vs finding someone local who can run a diagnostic scan on my car with such short notice. My car is a mid-year 2008, so I have the older FSI engine. Maybe if I have time tomorrow I'll re-check the cam follower.

I totally get what you're saying about keeping the car a wee bit longer, but I've had it for 8 years and that's longer than ANY car I've owned before (I use to jog through cars every year or two). It feels nice not spending thousands on a new-to-me car, but at the same time I don't enjoy toying around/fixing cars as much as I did in the past. I use to love doing Saturday morning oil changes. Now I groan about them. I prefer gas mileage and modest horsepower to big horsepower and race car firm suspension. I like gadgets like Bluetooth as opposed to turbo boost. Call me a skirt, but I've matured into someone who is comfortable reading Car and Driver on the can as my source of automotive enthusiasm. I could honestly see myself in a new Mazda 3. But I grossly digress.
      Last edited by Xymox; 01-08-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Cars
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      01-08-2016 02:30 PM #33
      I'll have to look at the VAG-COM Locator site and see if I can find someone. Unfortunately the site isn't updated regularly. A local Advance has compatible coil packs in stock, so I'm going to swing by tomorrow morning, buy and install them and just see if that helps. It's easier for me to test this way vs finding someone local who can run a diagnostic scan on my car with such short notice. My car is a mid-year 2008, so I have the older FSI engine. Maybe if I have time tomorrow I'll re-check the cam follower.

I totally get what you're saying about keeping the car a wee bit longer, but I've had it for 8 years and that's longer than ANY car I've owned before (I use to jog through cars every year or two). It feels nice not spending thousands on a new-to-me car, but at the same time I don't enjoy toying around/fixing cars as much as I did in the past. I use to love doing Saturday morning oil changes. Now I groan about them. I prefer gas mileage and modest horsepower to big horsepower and race car firm suspension. I like gadgets like Bluetooth as opposed to turbo boost. Call me a skirt, but I've matured into someone who is comfortable reading Car and Driver on the can as my source of automotive enthusiasm. I could honestly see myself in a new Mazda 3. But I grossly digress.
      Fair enough...and I get that. I'm getting old myself

10. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-08-2016 05:51 PM #34
      So the drive to AND from work had no hiccups, MIL, stutters, or problems.

I'm beginning to wonder if my sloppy job of topping off my oil the other week which lead to spillage into one of the spark/ignition holes could have caused this problem. I guess I'll continue to carefully drive and observe.

11. Member
      Cars
      06 2.0T A3
      01-09-2016 10:28 AM #35
      So the drive to AND from work had no hiccups, MIL, stutters, or problems.

I'm beginning to wonder if my sloppy job of topping off my oil the other week which lead to spillage into one of the spark/ignition holes could have caused this problem. I guess I'll continue to carefully drive and observe.
      That could totally be it. Did you see any oil on your coil or plug where they contact each other? Clean that **** out!

12. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      01-09-2016 10:49 AM #36
      It sounds to me like you might have an intermittent vacuum leak. These can cause misfires, rough idling (especially in lower RPM ranges). And this is often attributable to the intake manifold, which should have an extended warranty on it. Check with the Audi recall site and see if you're covered. If you are, then it would definitely be worth making an appointment at a dealer to get it replaced.

13. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-09-2016 03:17 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by BeeAlk View Post
      That could totally be it. Did you see any oil on your coil or plug where they contact each other? Clean that **** out!
      Heh. Did just that. Day 2 of driving and no hiccups. I purchased new coils, but I'm reluctant to put them in because so far things seem back to normal.

14. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-09-2016 03:18 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by npace View Post
      It sounds to me like you might have an intermittent vacuum leak. These can cause misfires, rough idling (especially in lower RPM ranges). And this is often attributable to the intake manifold, which should have an extended warranty on it. Check with the Audi recall site and see if you're covered. If you are, then it would definitely be worth making an appointment at a dealer to get it replaced.
      Recalls
      This vehicle does not have an open recall OR a recall was issued more than 15 years ago.

Service Campaigns
      This vehicle does not have an open service campaign OR a service campaign was issued more than 15 years ago.

15. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-11-2016 08:04 AM #39
      2 slight stutters on the way to work this morning. Not sure if it's the colder weather or what. Replacing the coils this week. If it solves the issue, awesome. If not, adios A3.

Cars
      2011 Audi A3
      01-11-2016 11:52 AM #40
      it was probably due to that oil spill....

...the dealer still has my car but i am definitely enjoying the brand new 2016 Q3 the gave me haha

17. 01-11-2016 09:50 PM #41
      I have had the same problem, but usually at 2-3K on 3rd gear. No CEL and its difficult to capture via VAGCOM becuase its very intermittent.

Problem did not go away after new coils, plus, HPFP, cam follower, and manual carbon removal/cleaned + tested injectors (at 213K, but a bunch of other issues did including idle roughness, etc..)

I have stage 1 tune and I think its a software issue.

'06 2.0T 6-speed

18. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-12-2016 01:14 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by a3_4_me View Post
      Problem did not go away after new coils, plus, HPFP, cam follower, and manual carbon removal/cleaned + tested injectors (at 213K, but a bunch of other issues did including idle roughness, etc..)
      Christ, what did all that end up costing you? 213,000 miles? That's nutty.

19. 01-12-2016 01:44 PM #43
      Christ, what did all that end up costing you? 213,000 miles? That's nutty.
      about $900 for the HPFP/Cam Follower job from dealership, everything else did myself for <$300 parts, 5-6 hours of work.

20. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-13-2016 03:37 PM #44
      And now my heater blower/fan decided to sh!t the bed. Hah! I'm finished with this car. It's gone this weekend.

21. Member
      Cars
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      01-13-2016 04:40 PM #45
      And now my heater blower/fan decided to sh!t the bed. Hah! I'm finished with this car. It's gone this weekend.
      Millennial angst?

22. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-13-2016 05:05 PM #46
      Millennial angst?
      Millennial? Hahah! Oh, how I wish!

23. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-13-2016 05:53 PM #47
      Any road, the upside is no bucking/surging since I swapped in the new coil packs *knocks on wood*. Also, I have heated seats and if I keep the car above 60mph enough heat comes through the vents to keep me warm.

$165 for the generic blower motor or $400 if I'm stupid enough to require the VW/Audi imprinting on the part.

24. 01-14-2016 02:59 PM #48
      Any road, the upside is no bucking/surging since I swapped in the new coil packs *knocks on wood*. Also, I have heated seats and if I keep the car above 60mph enough heat comes through the vents to keep me warm.

$165 for the generic blower motor or $400 if I'm stupid enough to require the VW/Audi imprinting on the part.
      My blower went out at about the same mileage. My 'genuine VW/Audi' Replacement is now making same noise 100K later indicating imminent failure.

25. Member
      Blog Entries
      01-14-2016 07:59 PM #49
      Got the blower motor working temporarily. I WD-40'd the spindle and it worked great. Put everything back together and started up the car today, didn't work. I guess I'll just pony-up and buy a new blower motor from ECS.

Update on the hesitation/bucking/etc: Non-existent since swapping out the coil packs with new ones.

Updated on blower motor: It began working again.
      Last edited by Xymox; 01-19-2016 at 08:59 AM.

26. n00b
      Cars
      2009 VW GLI 2.0T TSI
      04-09-2016 08:38 AM #50
      Same issues here I have narrowed the issue down to the cylinder 1 fuel injector.....sucks. passed emissions and get great response untill about 8 psi then the fuel ratio cant be maintained and misfires like crazy flashing cel that doesn't stay lit after. I am going to run some cleaner the do a real cleaning. New o2s w/ correct spacers. Clean gas 93, pcv good, egr good, catch can drained, coil packs swaped, brian hurts lol
      09 GLI 2.0 TSI K&N - VF STAGE 2 Intercooler - APR Stage 2 Flash - Catback Exaust - EBC Discs - Nitto Tires -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12