Fourtitude.com - Hesitation between 2,000-3,000 RPMs - Stutter and what feels like wheel hop
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 50
    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-03-2016 06:23 PM #1
      2008 Audi 2.0 Turbo (FWD) - Manual - 110,000 miles

      I just noticed this evening when I'm cruising and fully press the accelerator (say I'm in 6th gear) doing 70 mph the car seems to hesitate in the 2,000-3,000 RPM range, the RPM needle skips and what feels like wheel hop is occurring. I currently have NO CEL either. Any idea what this could be?

      Thank you.


      PROBLEM
      Code P0304: Cylinder 4 misfire detected.

      SOLUTION
      Replaced all four coil packs with new.
      Last edited by Xymox; 01-20-2016 at 11:16 AM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      Ramona, CA
      Posts
      4,970
      Cars
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      01-03-2016 06:59 PM #2
      Spark plugs
      Quote Originally Posted by MachnickiA3 View Post
      stick that in your "fleshy patch"

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-03-2016 08:19 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      Spark plugs
      I am overdue. Haven't changed them since they were due at 55k.
      Last edited by Xymox; 01-03-2016 at 08:36 PM.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-05-2016 08:18 AM #4
      Bump for any second opinions.

    6. Member Ponto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      Edmonton, AB
      Posts
      6,564
      Cars
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      01-05-2016 09:56 AM #5
      valve cleaning been done? If not thats probably it. But do your plugs as well. Intake filter the og running on 100k too? lol
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-05-2016 10:13 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Ponto View Post
      valve cleaning been done? If not thats probably it. But do your plugs as well. Intake filter the og running on 100k too? lol
      Never had valve cleaning done. I ordered new plugs and a new engine air filter. Both haven't been touched since I did the 55k mile service.

    8. Member Ponto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      Edmonton, AB
      Posts
      6,564
      Cars
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      01-05-2016 10:22 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
      Never had valve cleaning done. I ordered new plugs and a new engine air filter. Both haven't been touched since I did the 55k mile service.
      Start with all the simple stuff, if it doesn't get better then you probably need a valve cleaning. They get pretty gunked up in the 2L's
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 3rd, 2013
      Location
      Wilmington, DE
      Posts
      1,837
      Cars
      06 2.0T A3
      01-05-2016 10:26 AM #8
      That RPM range is known for asking a lot from the HPFP. A dying HPFP (or worn out cam follower) will give fuel starvation/cuts in that range. Have you scanned for codes? If you've never had your cam follower inspected, I urge you to do so at your mileage + your symptoms. If it is in fact the follower wearing out, you may be very close to substantial top-end motor damage. If the follower gets punched through, expect to replace your intake camshaft and HPFP at a minimum.

      I'd also suspect ignition coils. They're known to fail well before 110k miles. Usually you'd get a flashing CEL with misfires, but it would be possible for them to be delivering a weak spark without a complete misfire.

      Otherwise, I'd agree with previous posts about spark plugs, intake filter, and carbon buildup.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-05-2016 10:36 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by BeeAlk View Post
      That RPM range is known for asking a lot from the HPFP. A dying HPFP (or worn out cam follower) will give fuel starvation/cuts in that range. Have you scanned for codes? If you've never had your cam follower inspected, I urge you to do so at your mileage + your symptoms. If it is in fact the follower wearing out, you may be very close to substantial top-end motor damage. If the follower gets punched through, expect to replace your intake camshaft and HPFP at a minimum.

      I'd also suspect ignition coils. They're known to fail well before 110k miles. Usually you'd get a flashing CEL with misfires, but it would be possible for them to be delivering a weak spark without a complete misfire.

      Otherwise, I'd agree with previous posts about spark plugs, intake filter, and carbon buildup.
      Thank you. I have not scanned for codes as I do not have a VAG-COM. I'm going to replace plugs/air filter. How much does a typical valve cleaning cost? If the problem persists, it's trade-in time. The car has served me well, but with 110k+ miles it's time to move on.

    11. Member Ponto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      Edmonton, AB
      Posts
      6,564
      Cars
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      01-05-2016 11:08 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
      Thank you. I have not scanned for codes as I do not have a VAG-COM. I'm going to replace plugs/air filter. How much does a typical valve cleaning cost? If the problem persists, it's trade-in time. The car has served me well, but with 110k+ miles it's time to move on.
      110k miles is nothing these days! lol

      Valve cleaning is a typical maintenance item that comes up.
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-05-2016 11:15 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Ponto View Post

      Valve cleaning is a typical maintenance item that comes up.
      And this runs around $400?

    13. Member Ponto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      Edmonton, AB
      Posts
      6,564
      Cars
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      01-05-2016 11:18 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
      And this runs around $400?
      Ah you'd have to ask a 2L owner thats paid to have it done, a lot of guys do it themselves.
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue

    14. Member Bezerker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2013
      Location
      Augusta, Maine
      Posts
      212
      Cars
      2008 Audi A3 2.0T FSI
      01-05-2016 12:11 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
      And this runs around $400?
      Last year, I had a fuel injector replaced under warranty around 95k miles. At the time, the dealer also suggested a valve cleaning. They used BG cleaner and the cost ran right under $400.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 3rd, 2013
      Location
      Wilmington, DE
      Posts
      1,837
      Cars
      06 2.0T A3
      01-05-2016 12:48 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
      And this runs around $400?
      Quote Originally Posted by Bezerker View Post
      Last year, I had a fuel injector replaced under warranty around 95k miles. At the time, the dealer also suggested a valve cleaning. They used BG cleaner and the cost ran right under $400.
      There's chemical cleaning and manual cleaning. Usually manual cleaning involves chemicals as well. BG cleaner is a chemical approach, which I personally don't see the value in since it won't clean the carbon down to the metal. You'll be due for another cleaning in short order.

      I paid $475 for a full manual cleaning. This involves removing the intake, cleaning the valves and head, intake runner flaps, throttle body, and usually an injector seal or four. The difference in performance afterwards was quite noticeable.

      I suggest you do the expected maintenance (plugs and filter), then check (and replace regardless) your cam follower. The cam follower is a $50 part and it would take you an hour to replace.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-05-2016 01:08 PM #15
      Appreciate the help, guys. I'm really hoping fresh plugs and engine air filter solve the issue. Having just spent a considerable amount of money on a new timing belt/water pump and clock spring in 2015, I wanted to wait until Spring of 2016 to get a new car, but I may likely be looking sooner than I had anticipated. Car is feeling its age now and things will continue to crop up. Onward.

    17. Member Bezerker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2013
      Location
      Augusta, Maine
      Posts
      212
      Cars
      2008 Audi A3 2.0T FSI
      01-05-2016 02:39 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by BeeAlk View Post
      There's chemical cleaning and manual cleaning. Usually manual cleaning involves chemicals as well. BG cleaner is a chemical approach, which I personally don't see the value in since it won't clean the carbon down to the metal. You'll be due for another cleaning in short order.
      If you're planning on selling the car, then I'd probably go with the cheaper option. I've driven 20k miles since having the BG service. No issues yet, but as you note, it's not nearly as thorough as the manual method.

    18. Junior Member hentotheree's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2014
      Location
      las vegas
      Posts
      67
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3
      01-05-2016 05:17 PM #17
      oh wow this happened to me on saturday night... although I could not go above 45mph and my car was definitely struggling... the check engine light came up and again it read cylinders 2 and 3 are misfiring.... just replaced coils again and checked the gap on all of the plugs a few days before.... my car is currently at the shop being diagnosed by them and i am hoping it is a vacuum leak... if not.... fml.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-06-2016 08:03 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by hentotheree View Post
      oh wow this happened to me on saturday night... although I could not go above 45mph and my car was definitely struggling... the check engine light came up and again it read cylinders 2 and 3 are misfiring.... just replaced coils again and checked the gap on all of the plugs a few days before.... my car is currently at the shop being diagnosed by them and i am hoping it is a vacuum leak... if not.... fml.
      Seems like your issue is a lot more severe than mine. My hesitation/bucking is only happening in that RPM range. And no CEL. I've also noticed less power throughout the powerband and a decrease in gas mileage. New plugs and filter better fix it or this thing is gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooone.

    20. Junior Member hentotheree's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2014
      Location
      las vegas
      Posts
      67
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3
      01-06-2016 12:11 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
      Seems like your issue is a lot more severe than mine. My hesitation/bucking is only happening in that RPM range. And no CEL. I've also noticed less power throughout the powerband and a decrease in gas mileage. New plugs and filter better fix it or this thing is gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooone.
      I'm going to try replacing my injectors tonight and if that does not fix the issue she might be on her last life with me too haha

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-06-2016 01:28 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by hentotheree View Post
      I'm going to try replacing my injectors tonight and if that does not fix the issue she might be on her last life with me too haha
      How many miles are on your 2011? Good luck, man. I hope you find the fix.

    22. Junior Member hentotheree's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2014
      Location
      las vegas
      Posts
      67
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3
      01-06-2016 02:05 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
      How many miles are on your 2011? Good luck, man. I hope you find the fix.
      Woo! great news! there is in fact an extended warranty for the 2.0 L VW/Audi engines regarding faulty intake manifolds so I'm going to drop it off now. My car only has 69,500 and this "extended" warranty is 10 years or 100k miles so thankfully im in the clearrrrrrrrrrrrr. I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully they do not try to pull some b.s. on me lol

    23. Junior Member hentotheree's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2014
      Location
      las vegas
      Posts
      67
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3
      01-07-2016 10:52 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Xymox View Post
      How many miles are on your 2011? Good luck, man. I hope you find the fix.
      so apparently it was the pcv valve that was throwing everything off (according to the dealer) my shop told me that injectors 2 and 3 were shot and the dealer said they were fine wtf....

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-07-2016 03:45 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by hentotheree View Post
      so apparently it was the pcv valve that was throwing everything off (according to the dealer) my shop told me that injectors 2 and 3 were shot and the dealer said they were fine wtf....
      That seems off. Did you get any code readings?

      I dropped by Autozone and had mine scanned. Code P0304: Cylinder 4 misfire detected. I hoping it's failed spark plug or coil.
      Last edited by Xymox; 01-07-2016 at 03:50 PM.

    25. Junior Member hentotheree's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2014
      Location
      las vegas
      Posts
      67
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3
      01-07-2016 07:53 PM #24
      yeah i got the p0300 codes as well that stated cylinders 2 and 3 had a misfire. I plugged in my vagcom this afternoon and it didnt any codes. although i feel as if my car is still running slightly rough

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 1999
      Posts
      12,101
      Blog Entries
      1
      01-07-2016 09:14 PM #25
      Changed my spark plugs (which looked like hell) and engine air filter tonight. Initially things felt great, but after the car was at operating temperature the bucking began just below 2,000 RPMs. It ONLY happens when I'm in a high gear (5th or 6th), way under speed and mash the throttle. I did notice the first spark plug was considerably dirty/oily, but that could likely have been my fault for spilling a bit of oil when I was topping it off the other week.

      I could go ahead and drop another $90 on new coil packs, but who knows if that's the issue? I just don't care to trouble shoot the thing and spend more dough when odds are the car will be gone in the spring time anyhow.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •