Fourtitude.com - Looking sport cams shaft to increase HP in AGU 1.8T 20V with K04
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      Audi A3 MKI 1.8T
      12-20-2015 11:02 PM #1
      Hi guys,
      I am looking a cams to increase HP in my AGU 1.8T 20V engine with K03S turbo by replacing the OEM cams shaft by other with more efficiency at mid/high rpm range. I have been reading about different alternative and brands, but to be honest I didn't find much information about the real result of gain with sports cams using K03S turbo.

I saw different brands, e.i. Catcams 3651, Eurospec 210, Autotech 195, etc. but I really appreciate if anyone could share to me their experiences in terms of HP gains or loss using that sports models of cams by comparing with OEM cams.

Attached data about my motor to take in consideration:

Engine: AGU (idem AEB) 1.8T DOHC 20V (big ports)
      Turbo: K03S
      Cams (intake/exhaust): OEM
      Chip: re-map AlienTech Stage 2 (258 HP @ 26 psi peak)
      Inj.: Bosch 440 ccm
      Fuel Pump: Walbro 255 lph
      Inlet/CAI: Forge/Generic 2.75"
      Intercooler: Aluminium side mount (larger than OEM)
      Exhaust system: DP and pipe in 3"
      Intake gasket: Thermal intake large port
      Pancake: High flow

I don`t have much videos after last re-map, I only have one in car

https://www.flickr.com/photos/262883...in/dateposted/

Thanks in advance!!!
      Last edited by AEB; 12-22-2015 at 04:37 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Audi A3 MKI 1.8T
      12-26-2015 03:11 PM #2
      Have anyone experienced by using a race cam with k03s?

Cars
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      12-29-2015 04:46 PM #3
      You are only going to find mild gains and you'll need to get custom software to deal with it.

If you want more power without huge expenditures, look into a hybrid turbo instead. The K03s turbo can only breathe so much air.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Audi A3 MKI 1.8T
      01-05-2016 06:18 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      You are only going to find mild gains and you'll need to get custom software to deal with it.

If you want more power without huge expenditures, look into a hybrid turbo instead. The K03s turbo can only breathe so much air.
      thanks groggori. I supposed the k03 would be small one to use with any racing cams.
      I am looking a franken turbo kit to replace my k03s and then maybe I could think of replacing the oem cams by the racing ones.
      Last edited by AEB; 01-05-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Cars
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      01-05-2016 06:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by AEB View Post
      thanks groggori. I supposed the k03 would be small one to use with any racing cams.
      I am looking a franken turbo kit to replace my k03s and then maybe I could think of replacing the oem cams by the racing ones.
      If you get one of the larger hybrid turbos, a mild cam cam help things out on the mid and top end. Don't forget that generally speaking, a performance cam just SHIFTS the powerband left or right.

If you are looking for more power without getting crazy, a big hybrid turbo, rods, good intercooling, and some supporting bits will make the car a lot of fun.

Cams, throttle bodies, intake manifolds, water/ meth, compression ratio are all power adders too.
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Cars
      05' VW GLI 4motion, 04’ A4 Avant quattro
      01-09-2016 10:16 PM #6
      These are reportedly the Cat Cams that BobQ was marketing as his “purple cams”... if you do some searching there are graphs showing nice mid range and top end gains from them - kind of a win win...

Work - Houzz / linkedin
      Play - Haldex Swap

Cars
      Audi A3 MKI 1.8T
      01-17-2016 08:47 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      If you get one of the larger hybrid turbos, a mild cam cam help things out on the mid and top end. Don't forget that generally speaking, a performance cam just SHIFTS the powerband left or right.

If you are looking for more power without getting crazy, a big hybrid turbo, rods, good intercooling, and some supporting bits will make the car a lot of fun.

Cams, throttle bodies, intake manifolds, water/ meth, compression ratio are all power adders too.
      Thanks groggory, I am thinking to start, as first step, with the installation of a Franken turbo, as imagen below shows.

Do you know if this kit required another additional element in order to configure the new map? I read in some post is necessary to replace the stock MAF for another one with a diam of 3", is it true?

When you mentioned that some supporting bit can make the car a lot of fun, what kind of element did you refer?

10. Former Advertiser AL@PagParts.com's Avatar
      Cars
      07 AUDI 2.0T 07 VW GTI
      01-17-2016 09:59 AM #8
      Requiring cams with anything under a 30R sized turbo is debatable. I've made over 450+whp rather easily and with good response with the stock cams

11. Member
      Cars
      1998 vw gti vr6,2002 Jetta 1.8t
      01-17-2016 10:46 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Requiring cams with anything under a 30R sized turbo is debatable. I've made over 450+whp rather easily and with good response with the stock cams
      What's the best turbo for 400whp? I'm ditching the franken turbo this month and gonna go with a gt2876 or a gt30 idk though what about precision?

Cars
      Audi A3 MKI 1.8T
      01-17-2016 11:02 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by All_Euro View Post
      These are reportedly the Cat Cams that BobQ was marketing as his “purple cams”... if you do some searching there are graphs showing nice mid range and top end gains from them - kind of a win win...

yes, there are not significant differences between oem intake cam and cat cam intake cod 1013660. Thanks for the cat cam data sheet!!!

13. Former Advertiser AL@PagParts.com's Avatar
      Cars
      07 AUDI 2.0T 07 VW GTI
      01-17-2016 11:48 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ballergti View Post
      What's the best turbo for 400whp? I'm ditching the franken turbo this month and gonna go with a gt2876 or a gt30 idk though what about precision?
      This is a loaded question but for all around a 6758 is an intriguing option.

Cars
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      01-18-2016 10:48 AM #12
      yes, there are not significant differences between oem intake cam and cat cam intake cod 1013660. Thanks for the cat cam data sheet!!!
      Check out the camshaft section of the faq. Lots of info there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Build

15. 01-18-2016 02:35 PM #13
      Here is the deal, for the small frame turbo powerband that you will have, there is no need for an exhaust cam. A mild street intake cam can give a nice mid-top range power bump without affecting the low end too much. What would be a mild street intake cam for this application? IMO, that's a cam with around 200 duration (measured at the usual 1.0mm lift) and paired with about 8mm of total lift.

What available option will give you that? There are few intake cams that are in the vicinity:

1) Autotech 195
      $300 retail price and gives you 195° duration with 7.85mm of lift. This is the mildest of the mild, and probably the safest bet. When they dynoed this on stock hardware, a small 10 Ft/lbs of TQ was sustained almost throughout the powerband. Therefore not a big power booster, but you're also not giving up much (if anything).

2) Eurospec 210
      This one bumps the duration to 210°, with the lift is at 8.75mm. I have not heard good things about Eurotech cams, and it seems that you need to get them as a set with both intake and exhaust. So IMO not the smartest choice unless one fell on your lap (intake/exhaust set retails at around $475)

3) IE mild street intake (IECVA3)
      $400 retail, gives you 249° duration with 8.25mm lift. This is a bit more aggressively balanced, and will give a nice bump in power from midrange-up which is the Achille's hill of the small frame turbos (obviously expect a small hit with your TQ onset moving to the right). This might the best choice for the FWD cars that are traction limited in the low end anyway, therefore giving some up in that aera isn't an issue and will welcome the top end improvement.

4) Catcam 3651 intake
      They seem to be part of a set, so you may need to get the exhaust cam as well. Specs are 208° duration, and valve lift at 8.25mm. Thank AL for bringing this one into the mix!

On my AWD hybrid TT, I am leaning towards the IE cam. My car has plenty of power already (only 2,500 lbs) and sustaining some of the monster TQ that it produces down low will pay huge dividends on the top end. Too bad I tried PM'ing Pete at IE with a few questions about it but never got a reply. I needed a little tech info on the lift that the 249° duration is measured and having that info that is not published would be a great help and solidify my leaning decision towards going with IE.

EDITED with cat cams 3651 intake cam
      Last edited by Marcus_Aurelius; 01-19-2016 at 07:08 AM.
      http://www.ftdmotorsports.com
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension products, Madmax DV kit, and AEM products.

16. Former Advertiser AL@PagParts.com's Avatar
      Cars
      07 AUDI 2.0T 07 VW GTI
      01-18-2016 03:06 PM #14
      Dont forget the 3651 intake cam

17. 01-18-2016 03:15 PM #15
      Dont forget the 3651 intake cam
      What are the specs on them Al? Are you a distributor?
      Home of the track-proven Madmax Suspension products, Madmax DV kit, and AEM products.

18. Former Advertiser AL@PagParts.com's Avatar
      Cars
      07 AUDI 2.0T 07 VW GTI
      01-18-2016 05:22 PM #16
      intake
      duration @ 0.1mm: 247°
      duration @ 1.0mm: 208°
      valve lift: 8.25mm
      lobe angle: 113°
      valve lift @ TDC: 0.35mm

Cars
      Audi A3 MKI 1.8T
      01-18-2016 05:40 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      Here is the deal, for the small frame turbo powerband that you will have, there is no need for an exhaust cam. A mild street intake cam can give a nice mid-top range power bump without affecting the low end too much. What would be a mild street intake cam for this application? IMO, that's a cam with around 200 duration (measured at the usual 1mm lift) and paired with about 8mm of total lift.

What available option will give you that? There are few intake cams that are in the vicinity:

1) Autotech 195
      $300 retail price and gives you 195 duration with 7.85mm of lift. This is the mildest of the mild, and probably the safest bet. When they dynoed this on stock hardware, a small 10 Ft/lbs of TQ was sustained almost throughout the powerband. Therefore not a big power booster, but you're also not giving up much (if anything).

2) Eurospec 210
      This one bumps the duration to 210, with the lift is at 8.75mm. I have not heard good things about Eurotech cams, and it seems that you need to get them as a set with both intake and exhaust. So IMO not the smartest choice unless one fell on your lap (intake/exhaust set retails at around $475)

3) IE mild stree intake (IECVA3)
      $400 retail, gives you 249 duration with 8.25mm lift. This is a bit more aggressively balanced, and will give a nice bump in power from midrange-up which is the Achille's hill of the small frame turbos (obviously expect a small hit with your TQ onset moving to the right). This might the best choice for the FWD cars that are traction limited in the low end anyway, therefore giving some up in that aera isn't an issue and will welcome the top end improvement.

On my AWD hybrid TT, I am leaning towards the IE cam. My car has plenty of power already (only 2,500 lbs) and sustaining some of the monster TQ that it produces down low will pay huge dividends on the top end. Too bad I tried PM'ing Pete at IE with a few questions about it but never got a reply. I needed a little tech info on the lift that the duration is measured and having that info that is not published would be a great help and solidify my decision to go with IE.
      Thanks Marcus!!! Excellent summary.

About Autotech 195, I read about it, but I read that the gain of this cam is very poor (around +10 HP), I believe that is not a good bussines to spend the cost of the cams + labor for changing the cam and re-map the chip only to obtain a plus of +10 HP in the best of cases.

Related with the Eurospec 210, I am agree with you, I did not hear good references of this cam.

Finally, IE IEC VA3 I believe is the best option to improve the midrange-up, I read excellent comments related this cam, the questions is what is the minimus size of the turbo that is necessary to install for taking advantage of this cam? At the present I have installed a Borg Warner K03S, maybe the capacity of this turbo is not enough to supply the air flow and pressure that this cam requires mainly in the rpm up range
      Last edited by AEB; 01-18-2016 at 05:42 PM.

20. 01-19-2016 07:13 AM #18
      intake
      duration @ 0.1mm: 247°
      duration @ 1.0mm: 208°
      valve lift: 8.25mm
      lobe angle: 113°
      valve lift @ TDC: 0.35mm
      Thank you Sir! Seems like a very viable option to consider. Looks like they're part of a set though, can the intake be purchased individually? Edited my post to add them into the mix.

21. 01-19-2016 07:30 AM #19
      Thanks Marcus!!! Excellent summary.

About Autotech 195, I read about it, but I read that the gain of this cam is very poor (around +10 HP), I believe that is not a good bussines to spend the cost of the cams + labor for changing the cam and re-map the chip only to obtain a plus of +10 HP in the best of cases.

Related with the Eurospec 210, I am agree with you, I did not hear good references of this cam.

Finally, IE IEC VA3 I believe is the best option to improve the midrange-up, I read excellent comments related this cam, the questions is what is the minimus size of the turbo that is necessary to install for taking advantage of this cam? At the present I have installed a Borg Warner K03S, maybe the capacity of this turbo is not enough to supply the air flow and pressure that this cam requires mainly in the rpm up range
      Don't sleep on the autotech 195, a couple of friend of mine decided to go with this one with their hybrids. The 10HP gains from Autotech are relative, and were recorded on a stock car at modest boost levels. The gains are multiplied at higher tune levels, and there is virtually zero hit in the low end. Very nice upgrade that can be felt from midrange-up.

The IECV3 and Catcam 3651 seems like solid options if you're going to push or max out a hybrid. I would not try them on a stock turbo (the Autotech 195 would be better suited) even if it was pushed at extreme levels. So if you're not on a hybrid, eliminator, or a smaller frame BT, don't bother with these.

22. Former Advertiser AL@PagParts.com's Avatar
      Cars
      07 AUDI 2.0T 07 VW GTI
      01-19-2016 09:13 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      Thank you Sir! Seems like a very viable option to consider. Looks like they're part of a set though, can the intake be purchased individually? Edited my post to add them into the mix.
      Absolutely. All the new gen cats come with pinned and press on gears so no bolts for an easy drop in solution

23. 01-19-2016 01:44 PM #21
      Absolutely. All the new gen cats come with pinned and press on gears so no bolts for an easy drop in solution
      Outstanding! Will be giving you a call for one of these puppies for my toy.