Fourtitude.com - In need of assistance, old cat not getting along with new cat.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      '16 Jetta Sport/'17 Passat R-Line
      12-15-2015 02:04 PM #1
      So we have a black cat (there's the problem, right? [her name is Poe]) whom we've had for about three years now, and she's about that age. My wife just brought a new cat (over one year old [her name is Scout]) home Saturday before last and Poe is not getting along with Scout...at all. They've gone at it a couple times even with us being as careful as possible to introduce the two, but Scout doesn't care for Poe, she's super chill in all aspects.

We've kept Scout in one bedroom with her litter box and food and she sleeps on a towel. Poe sleeps on a towel at the foot of our bed, for the most part, and eats on a towel, and we have switched the towels between the two, for acclimating to the scents or something, I suppose. When one was roaming around the house, the other is in the same bedroom. It's becoming a bit of a hassle keeping the two separated, and why can't we be friends?

Any info on this process is greatly appreciated. I know Scout is brand new to the family and it might take time, but I wish Poe wasn't such a b!tch at the same time

Thanks in advance.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
      I look at the car, yard and to me it would make more sense to buy $3k worth of fireworks, booze and raw dog a gal named Tiffany in a clapped out Winnabgo at a Jesus music festival
      '02 Golf 2.slow-sold|'01 Passat V64Mo-sold|'02 Passat 1.8T-sold|'09 JSW TDI-sold
      2016 Jetta Sport 5MT, APR Carbonio, coils, Beetle Discs-lease|'17 Passat R-Line-lease

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, 20th Anniversary GTI, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      12-26-2015 02:56 PM #2
      Some cats just are better as single cats. As is the case with ours. We got her because she stopped getting along with my parents cats (they had her first). Any other cat she's been introduced to, she's gone after. Male, female, doesn't matter. My parents have one cat now that she tolerates, but its taken a very long time for her to get to that point with him. We just have ours as an only cat. She's older though (9-10?), and now is diabetic so having just one cat works out well for everyone.

I'd say give it some more time but it may just not be a good fit. Hopefully they can work it out though.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

Cars
      '16 Jetta Sport/'17 Passat R-Line
      12-28-2015 05:40 PM #3
      Yeah I hope so, too. We left for about a week and had my friend stay at the house, said he got the two together for a little while to make them like each other. Not sure exactly how well he did, seeing as how we just got back last night and had to unpack and get everything back in order, so hopefully he made some magic happen!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
      I look at the car, yard and to me it would make more sense to buy $3k worth of fireworks, booze and raw dog a gal named Tiffany in a clapped out Winnabgo at a Jesus music festival
      '02 Golf 2.slow-sold|'01 Passat V64Mo-sold|'02 Passat 1.8T-sold|'09 JSW TDI-sold
      2016 Jetta Sport 5MT, APR Carbonio, coils, Beetle Discs-lease|'17 Passat R-Line-lease

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Senior Member
      01-06-2016 03:19 PM #4
      We've never had an issue. Just takes a bit to let the established cat let the other cat know they were there first.

Had Jasmine two years and brought Georgette, and brought Georgette home. Georgette was old, deaf, lame, and in early kidney failure. Jasmine tried to play with Georgette, and Georgette was clueless. She sort of became Jasmine's plaything, and they got along fine.

Put down Georgette after two years and got B.J., a muscular, 16-lb. male. Jasmine was a 10-lb. female. She put him in his place pretty rapidly.

Put them both down 8 months apart three years ago.

Lasted 5 days without cats and went to the shelter. Brought home Gypsy, a frightened, kinda chubby several-year-old female and Whiskers, a 6-month old kitten. Whiskers thinks Gypsy is mommy.

They play together a lot, though Whiskers even after 4 years is still incredibly playful and wants to play all the time. She has to hiss and let him know she's not interested ... only wants to play when she wants to.

Cars
      17' GTI , gone: 09 Honda Fit Sport, 03 MCS, 99 GTI VR6, 90 Civic Si, 91 SHO, 85 GTI, 79 RX7
      01-06-2016 04:46 PM #5
      Cats are dicks

8. Member
      05-19-2016 04:03 PM #6
      We had three cats, two of them never got along. Ever. Nothing we did changed that.
      Current: 2015 RPGM Chevy SS Sedan 6spd - 2000 Chevy K2500 - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE
      Past: 1990 MB 300e @106k - 2011 JSW TDi 6spd @100k - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6spd @170k - 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon @123k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base @257k - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd @74k - 1993 Jeep GC V8 @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base @154k

9. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      05-29-2016 11:57 PM #7
      It takes time. Some cats are better about it than others but eventually, if you have enough space, they will coexist.
      Sometimes it might sound like they are killing each other but mostly it is playful/mild domination. Our current 3 cats can be snuggled up in one pile then the next moment they are making ungodly noises chasing each other around.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot