Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Small MA town and Even smaller NH town in the mountains
      Cars
      '17 Golf R DBP DCC/6SP - 2016 Moonlight Blue Pearl Touareg
      12-10-2015 02:44 PM #1
      Hi,

My oldest son is almost 13 and he told me he wants a Launchpad for Xmas. I did as much research as I could and ended up buying an Akai APC20 Compact Ableton Controller. It comes with Ableton Live Software. It was $179 on Amazon (supposedly was Originally $399).

I figure betweeen the internet/youtube he should be able to figure out how to use it. He has a laptop (my old one) that i think he should be able to get a couple of years out of.

I guess my question is, do you think i got him a good item to start off with or should have i started elsewhere?

I had asked him if there had been a particular one he was interested in and all he told me is he wanted "a lot of buttons"

I had also looked at Novation Launchpads but i felt like the Akai was a better value since it included the software and the reviews were pretty good as well.

This is a link to the item.

https://www.ableton.com/en/pages/201...paign=namm2010

Thanks in advance.
      2017 DBP Golf R
      2016 Moonlight Blue Pearl Touareg

Previous '13 CSG GTI Wolfsburg - '11 Routan SE/RSE - '08 CW R32 # 154 (Traded in 5-29-13) - '02 Passat Wagon - '67 Beetle

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2002 GTI
      12-15-2015 02:09 AM #2
      Without any knowledge of what he is trying to do or accomplish if he is just trying to trigger samples well a midi controller is a midi controller, that being said I think you went down the right path with the Akai as opposed to the launchpad. I think with the akai he'll be able to control more parameters in a user friendly manner, I have used neither. I do have the Akai APD32 and it is great setting it up as a software based MPC and using it to finger drum, trigger samples effects etc. Which if he is just getting into it and has no other beatmaking software it is probably what he will be doing most.
      Personally I kind of see the launchpads APC's etc as down the line controllers to be used once you've already banged out your beat, laid your samples out etc.

The software will be a bit limited compared to the full version but ableton is well recognized and great software although I've only had the pleasure of tinkering with the basic versions. If he is going to stick with this as a hobby it is definitely great software to start with.
      All and all yes I think you got him a great kit to start off with and you can always pick up a cheap midi keyboard down the road once he gets more creative and wants to make his own samples and beats instead of using the sample library's.

This video is DJ Revolution (our generation) demonstrating "the bridge" between serato and ableton. Not available in the basic ableton version, just the full, but it shows you with just some controllers, turntables and those two programs where you can take it.

Small MA town and Even smaller NH town in the mountains
      Cars
      '17 Golf R DBP DCC/6SP - 2016 Moonlight Blue Pearl Touareg
      12-15-2015 11:50 AM #3
      Thanks for the reply, helps me to know that i at least got him something that he will be happy with. Not sure what he wants to accomplish, I assume he thinks he'll be the next Deadmau5 ...which honestly would be fine by me!
      2017 DBP Golf R
      2016 Moonlight Blue Pearl Touareg

Previous '13 CSG GTI Wolfsburg - '11 Routan SE/RSE - '08 CW R32 # 154 (Traded in 5-29-13) - '02 Passat Wagon - '67 Beetle