Fourtitude.com - Air compressors and garage tools. I've got 220V and I'm not afraid to use it!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

11-25-2015 11:30 AM #1
      Hey guys,

I've got some money budgeted for tools, and I'm trying to decide where to put it. Working on cars is a hobby, and I love it, so I want to focus that direction. Right now, I have an ancient Campbell Hausfield portable compressor that's on its last legs. Its done a fine job, but when I'm using the cutoff wheel it cycles way too much and I'd like to start sanding and painting. So, I'm looking at stationary compressors, receiver/dryers and hard lines to mount in my shop to make it as versatile as possible.

I'm thinking of this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Campbell-...6275/203002178
      But the numbers look better with this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Industria...-202053060-_-N

I'd also like to up my skills and add welding to my abilities (which currently include taking this apart, procrastinating, losing parts and occasionally fixing things). Since my garage has a 220 outlet, I wouldn't mind acquiring a welder. I've got friends who can teach me how to do it, and a couple of projects that could use some welding once I'm up to speed.
      And since I have no idea what to look for in welders, this seems to be a good name with some decent gear: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...98-1/204416388

And just for gits and shiggles, harbor frieght has sale on plasma cutters for $700, and I think I need one.

So, for $1500, how would you upgrade your tools?

Thanks,
      Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      11-25-2015 11:37 AM #2
      i have heard decent things about speedaire compressors, i think its a grainger brand
      I see very good deals on eBay and on craigslist for new units

Cars
      Tejas Cucaracha
      11-25-2015 11:48 AM #3
      I shopped here to set up my shop:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/

I haven't been happier!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      1983 Rabbit GTI 2.0T
      11-25-2015 12:12 PM #4
      Tractor Supply has some great compressors, they have the Campbell Hausfield much cheaper than Home Depot. For Welders, if you're not doing production work I would buy the Eastwood

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-...spool-gun.html

It's not the quality of a commercial Miller or a Lincoln, but I've used one and it's actually really nice. Far nicer than the crappy Lincoln models that Home Depot sells.
      ABA Swap How To
      '83 Rabbit GTI ABA Turbo 11.94 @ 126mph

Cars
      2014 Evolution GSR, 1998 GTI, 2002 TT 225 Roadster
      11-25-2015 02:04 PM #6
      Those 3hp compressors won't keep up with continuous use of a sander, they're on the fringe for paint guns. If you're going to paint you should save some money for a multistage air drying system with a water trap line before it. Good drying setups start at around ~$300. It's really necessary if you're going to be painting for more than 5 minutes every couple of hours. The last thing you want is oil and water getting atomized with your paint.
      Quote Originally Posted by acuraudi View Post
      Bo Jackson was a blatant ripoff of Reggie Jackson. I don't understand why Bo Jackson's parents made Bo Jackson when Reggie Jackson was obviously already a classic design.

Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      11-26-2015 08:51 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      Hey guys, ... Since my garage has a 220 outlet, I wouldn't mind acquiring a ...
      ... voltmeter. You might find out you actually have 240V on that outlet.

Cars
      Honda Element
      11-26-2015 09:05 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Fast2.0L View Post
      Tractor Supply has some great compressors, they have the Campbell Hausfield much cheaper than Home Depot. For Welders, if you're not doing production work I would buy the Eastwood

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-...spool-gun.html

It's not the quality of a commercial Miller or a Lincoln, but I've used one and it's actually really nice. Far nicer than the crappy Lincoln models that Home Depot sells.
      +1 on the Eastwood welders. I've had a Mig175 from them for 5 years with no issues. I take that back: it only likes good quality wire...it skips a lot with HF wire.

Cars
      '14 JKU Sahara, '93 Porsche 911 RSA, '92 LS2 Miata
      11-26-2015 09:05 PM #9
      I'm a fan of Lincoln Electric. MIGs are messy but they get the job done.
      Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      Wow. Its like a bicep with six-pack abs made entirely of fists.

Cars
      03 SVT Focus
      11-26-2015 09:18 PM #10
      Don't waste your money on buying an off brand welder. Go with a nice 135sp Lincoln Mig 110v. Or a Miller 135/Hobart 135. They both are great machines and can get consumables anywhere. Trust me, I've burned literal miles of wire through these units and they don't miss a beat. You can get good quality welds with a mig no problem. Good fitment, clean material and practice....or learn how to run a grinder lol.

Lincoln and Miller ofter run specials where they'll include other tools/safety equipment as a package deal. Personally I prefer Lincoln and would be shopping for them first.

12. Member
      Cars
      1999 Porsche 911 Carrera 4, 1973 Datsun 240z turbo, 2005 R53 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Nissan Frontier
      11-27-2015 12:06 AM #11
      Proud owner of a Hobart Handler 140 and an Ingersoll Rand 5hp single stage 60 gallon air compressor.

That's 1,500 well spent dollars right there.

13. Member
      Cars
      00'/VW/GTI
      11-27-2015 01:25 AM #12
      Welders : dont waste your time with anything other then a miller, Hobart, or Lincoln. DC welders are great!

Air compressors if your going to want pain def get depending on your pockets Kaiser, Ingersoll or any belt driven multi-phase air compressor for a good HVLP u need 8-12 cfm @ 40 psi some eastwood guns will run in the 5cfm range but i don't know personally how they work. also look into the duty cycle of the air-compressor and find something that is gonna be suitable for your needs. But with any product look for reviews and use your own judgement any remeber sometimes its better to walk away from an item and think on it then to buy it spontaneously

Cars
      2dr ALH Golf WVW-W TDI, 12v Cummins Ram 2500, '08 TT 3.2
      11-27-2015 01:47 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      Hey guys,

So, for $1500, how would you upgrade your tools?
      I wouldn't spend a dime at Home Depot, I would spend a lot of time on sites like GarageJournal.com and armed with more info I would scour Craigslist/etc and piece together $3000 or $4000 worth of equipment for $1500 used.

But that's just me, I'm cheap but I like good quality stuff and don't care if it's shiny new from a big-box outlet

240v welders you can start looking at Miller 200-series and comparable Lincoln/Hobart units. These actually have enough punch to weld 1/4" steel, and the first time you try welding 3/16 or 1/4 with a smaller welder you will know why it's worth the upgrade The other bonus is better duty cycle on lighter gauge steel. A 110v welder is great to start but it will leave you wanting more at some point - all depends on your projects! What are you planning on building?

How many amps is your 240v line? Can you get away running both a compressor and a welder on 240, or does one of them need to be 110v?
      · ·we're only gonna die for our own arrogance that's why we might as well take our time...
      · · /
      · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to Ø

15. Member
      Cars
      '88 ITA Scirocco race car & 2012 TDI Jetta 6 sp. manual
      02-22-2016 01:27 PM #14
      On MIG welders I had an old 140 Amp 110V unit that worked fine. But since my nephew seemed to have it more then me and it was heavy, last year I decided to buy a new one.
      I ended up with a Lincoln Dual 180 amp MIG welder. It will operate on 110V or with a quick rewire 220V!
      It weights less then 70 lbs so I can carry it anywhere and the dual voltage means that I can take it somewhere without 220V and still weld metal.
      I bought it on special at a trade show for about $900 delivered to my house plus I received a $100 rebate so the final price was only $800.

I could have bought a non dual voltage MIG from Lincoln for about $150 less but I expect this welder to last me many years so I spent the extra on having the flexibility of the dual voltage.