Fourtitude.com - So, my girlfriend surprised me with a car - Ford Festiva content...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
      Cars
      1990 Volvo 240 sedan, 1972 VW camper van, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1989 Ford Festiva, 2014 Ford Fiesta
      08-23-2019 01:25 PM #326
      Moved the blue car along, it just wasnít in the budget to fix/track it. Found it a great home with someone who works as a fabricator in the aerospace industry who was massively excited to get going on it.

Also made a decision on the engine. I know keeping the B3 is not a wise choice, but I truly enjoy how the car drives with it in that I can push it to its limit and not really get myself into trouble. Iím hoping to pull the engine this winter for a refresh and a few modifications for next year to get slightly more pep out of it. Given that decision, I sold the B6T swap to a local member of the Festiva community.

With less than 1500km on the suspension swap, the RR strut has started to leak somehow, so Iíll have to deal with that. I bought one of the pre-made sets that were offered a few years ago, and I donít know if I can swap the Southwest Speed sleeve over to a new shock or what other modifications were done to the shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      08-23-2019 02:05 PM #327
      I get it. I need to downsize as well. I have the two '66 Beetles (one fairly easy project and one nice turn-key) as well as a big project '59. Which do I keep? I don't know!

Good luck with the suspension. I hope you can get a pair of struts and bolt 'em in.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      1990 Volvo 240 sedan, 1972 VW camper van, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1989 Ford Festiva, 2014 Ford Fiesta
      09-20-2019 10:58 PM #328
      Found these kickass Intra Phonedials on Facebook marketplace for a whole $100 Canadian. They need a complete restoration, but I couldnít pass them up. Hoping to have them done for next season.

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      09-21-2019 11:57 AM #329
      Those are awesome!
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-21-2019 06:21 PM #330
      Quote Originally Posted by Zman86 View Post
      Found these kickass Intra Phonedials on Facebook marketplace for a whole $100 Canadian. They need a complete restoration, but I couldnít pass them up. Hoping to have them done for next season.
      Yesss!

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      09-21-2019 10:57 PM #331
      Nice pickup on the dials. Are you thinking the same color, or something different?
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Cars
      09-22-2019 09:15 PM #332
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Nice pickup on the dials. Are you thinking the same color, or something different?
      Undecided on the colour, but Iím kinda digging the bronze. They need a total restoration, a couple have bends that are apparently only visible on a balancer, and one looks like it may have been run loose since the mounting holes are a bit ovaled...

9. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      09-23-2019 11:59 AM #333
      Great wheels. Definitely worth finding a shop who can restore them properly...

No B6T swap, eh?

Cars
      09-23-2019 04:13 PM #334
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post

No B6T swap, eh?
      Nah, decided that swapping engines just isnít for me, mainly because Iíd have to convert the car to EFI. Going to look into building up the stock engine a bit, bike carbs, cam, some porting/polishing, etc. That however is well off in the future...

Cars
      02 24V GTI - outback - 84 Softail
      09-23-2019 04:17 PM #335

Looking good man !!! Kant wait to see those wheels on it
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Please tell me how this does. I have a massive amount of stuff I need to kill
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Sprinkle some of your personality on it.
      PSN: PainKiller-sas-

12. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-23-2019 05:21 PM #336
      Nah, decided that swapping engines just isnít for me, mainly because Iíd have to convert the car to EFI. Going to look into building up the stock engine a bit, bike carbs, cam, some porting/polishing, etc. That however is well off in the future...
      How hard is that to do and how does it affect drivability?

Cars
      '85 VW Golf & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      09-23-2019 08:36 PM #337
      Good Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      How hard is that to do and how does it affect drivability?
      Speaking from a VW 8v perspective it is relatively easy to do. Hardest part (in my opinion) is fabricating an intake manifold and dealing with little stuff like hardware and linkages... I can't speak to the Fiesta, but '80's VW ignition systems are practically an independent simple system that functions on a hall sensor (like a cam position sensor) and has vacuum advance. Fuel is pretty straightforward, you just need to get filtered fuel to the carbs at about 3-4 PSI. I wasted a lot of time over-thinking this part...

A clean set of carbs should be able to fire up and run with a little tuning to the idle circuit. Driveability is heavily dependent on the fine-tuning, which is made a lot easier if you have a wideband O2. Usually you'll need to increase the size of the main jets to get the air fuel ratio right. The nice thing about bike carbs is that most of them are Constant Velocity (CV) type which are not nearly as sensitive to temperature and atmospheric changes. Also, finding a set of carbs and parts is pretty easy as they were available through the 80's into the 2000's.

14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-23-2019 09:40 PM #338
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      Good Plan

Speaking from a VW 8v perspective it is relatively easy to do. Hardest part (in my opinion) is fabricating an intake manifold and dealing with little stuff like hardware and linkages... I can't speak to the Fiesta, but '80's VW ignition systems are practically an independent simple system that functions on a hall sensor (like a cam position sensor) and has vacuum advance. Fuel is pretty straightforward, you just need to get filtered fuel to the carbs at about 3-4 PSI. I wasted a lot of time over-thinking this part...

A clean set of carbs should be able to fire up and run with a little tuning to the idle circuit. Driveability is heavily dependent on the fine-tuning, which is made a lot easier if you have a wideband O2. Usually you'll need to increase the size of the main jets to get the air fuel ratio right. The nice thing about bike carbs is that most of them are Constant Velocity (CV) type which are not nearly as sensitive to temperature and atmospheric changes. Also, finding a set of carbs and parts is pretty easy as they were available through the 80's into the 2000's.
      ďLikeĒ

Fabbing a manifold doesnít scare me and linkage requires a little tenacity and patience, but without knowing where to start on jetting is a bit perplexing to me.

I suppose since the displacement is so much higher and the rev range so much lower that it works out pretty well, size wise.

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      09-24-2019 08:41 AM #339
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post

No B6T swap, eh?
      At first, I read that as 6BT swap and thought to myself "There's no way that would fit in there..."

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      09-24-2019 11:48 AM #340
      I haven't seen a set of those in a few years.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Cars
      09-24-2019 09:45 PM #341
      Iíve not done any research on the bike carb conversion. The festiva community is generally against modifying these engines since swaps are so easy, but Iím stubborn. The B6T apparently turns these cars into an absolute monster, but Iím not after a monster, just a bit more zip.

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupť heaven
      09-24-2019 10:45 PM #342
      Epic wheels. I also haven't seen a set of those for quite some time.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a CitroŽn.ô

Cars
      '85 VW Golf & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      09-26-2019 08:36 PM #343
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      ďLikeĒ

Fabbing a manifold doesnít scare me and linkage requires a little tenacity and patience, but without knowing where to start on jetting is a bit perplexing to me.

I suppose since the displacement is so much higher and the rev range so much lower that it works out pretty well, size wise.

Good! The linkage was actually one of the more fun parts that I had to figure out, and you are right-on with the sizing.

At a basic level, carbs function by fueling for a given air flow. They fuel pretty well on motorcycle jetting because a 2.0L at 7k RPM is flowing a similar amount of air as a 1.0L at 14k RPM... Obviously it's not that cut & dry but conceptually that's the deal.

Also convenient is that bike carbs are very similar in size to our engine ports. My 1.8L is running on 36mm Keihins from a Kawasaki Ninja 750. Most VW 16v guys aim for larger 40mm carbs typically from 1000-1200cc bikes.

Motorcycles have a TON of aftermarket, and carb tuning and upgrade knowledge is readily available. They can get a little pricey if you have to rebuild them (four independent carbs) and I have learned the hard way that they are sensitive to sitting around with Ethanol gas...

Here's my (still incomplete) setup:

Iíve not done any research on the bike carb conversion. The festiva community is generally against modifying these engines since swaps are so easy, but Iím stubborn. The B6T apparently turns these cars into an absolute monster, but Iím not after a monster, just a bit more zip.
      I wholeheartedly encourage you to look into it! I've always been a fan of the underdog motors (VW 8v enthusiast) as long as they have some redeeming qualities... In my opinion, it's also a lot of fun to wring out a little high-strung motor on a regular basis, than to have to drive around timidly with a motor that's too powerful...

If you want to go this route, feel free to shoot me a PM. I get on here every few days, and although I am far from an expert I would be happy to help!
      Last edited by Jettaboy1884; 09-26-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Cars
      09-26-2019 10:10 PM #344

If you want to go this route, feel free to shoot me a PM. I get on here every few days, and although I am far from an expert I would be happy to help!
      Iíll be sure to get in touch when the time comes! The car is most likely not going to get touched this winter unfortunately along with the rest of the cars, but eventually Iíll be able to get back to them.

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      09-27-2019 11:44 AM #345
      I have learned the hard way that they are sensitive to sitting around with Ethanol gas...
      Very much this. The ethanol basically eats everything in the system. I do not like Ethanol gas at all.

Cars
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      01-14-2020 04:54 PM #346
      Is this still thing going on?

Cars
      Yesterday 06:52 PM #347
      Quote Originally Posted by SICKVDUB1 View Post
      Is this still thing going on?
      Car is in storage for the winter at the moment off my property. Iím hoping to start buying some engine goodies in the next year, thereís a guy working on a bike carb intake manifold for the B3 engine, and the Festiva store is now carrying a B3 header. Those along with a regroups cam should provide some extra zip, and I have a 5speed trans to swap in as well.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314