VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Dyno'd my VR, advice needed.

17K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  VR6DPLMT 
#1 ·
So I went and got my car dyno'd yesterday (for free because of Veteran's Day) and these are the results....

My motor cuts out at around 5600 RPMs though and I'm not quite sure why. My mods are...

Motor
2.9 bottom end
MK4 head gasket
UM OBD2 High compression 268 cam chip
Schrick VGI
Ported Lower Intake manifold
DRC 268 cams
WRD Stage 3 Big Valve head
Stock exhaust straight through

Trans
3.94 Ring and pinion
Stock 1st-4th
0.72 Fifth gear
Autotech Wave-Trac LSD
Eurospec lightened flywheel

It seems to cut out at 5600 and then a second or two later, pulls again. Anyone had experience with this before?

For the record, I am really happy with the results from the dyno and can't wait to do some exhaust work to really open it up.

See less See more
1 1
#3 ·
First check what bonesaw mentioned, I could see a speed cut being a big issue.

When you say stock exhaust straight thru, are you talking about a stock mk2 exhaust or at least a stock vr6 exhaust? Either way that car should have either a 2.5" or 3" exhaust on it, any stock exhaust is going to choke a setup like yours back. Looking at the curve on the dyno graph, what is going on around 4200rpms when it dips down in power? I haven't looked at a dyno of a car with a schrick vgi in years but even when the intake switches over I can't imagine it dropping so much power off like that.

#4 ·
I checked the connection of the speed sensor and it was good. I'm going to order a new sensor just incase. I have a 3" exhaust on the way and will probably stop by and have it dyno'd again once I install it. I'm not sure on the VGI...Maybe it has to do with the exhaust as well? I think alot of my tuning problems will be resolved once I get the exhaust. I'll post results once I get the new parts on.

#9 · (Edited)
Yeah with that set up you should be more into the 195-205 range of power. Something sure isn't right there. I'd listen to Need_A_VR6 he knows his stuff when it comes to VR6's, and had one of the fastest N/A VR6's.

One thing I did notice is that the graph dropped off at 6000rpms. The VR6 still makes power up to 6800rpms and with your cams and head set up it should peak at around 6800rpms and gradually drop off but not by like a drastic amount. Have you had the head checked out? I know WRD Does great work but maybe something went foul with that. Also what might help is a ported and gasket matched exhaust manifold. I say gasket matched so it's matched to your ported lower intake manifold. Also have you ever thought about running a Phenolic spacer? The spacer is cheap makes a few whp and really does keep the engine cooler. I had one with my old(I miss her)95 VR6 Jetta which was pretty damn close to your set up. Shrick VGI, DRC Cams, P&P'd BVH(a VR6 Guru on here Yellow SLC did my BVH/P&P'd head)etc.. I didn't didn't have a 2.9L bottom end though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.