Fourtitude.com - What year to buy?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    1. 10-28-2015 10:47 PM #1
      Newbie here...Came over from the VW forums after downing a CC, I purchased a 2010 A4. Like the car very much, totally
      night and day difference. Now the question is what year A4 should I look at to purchase compared to other years?

      My 2010 is great except I'm worried about the oil consumption and water pump. It is a CPO car from the dealer when I bought
      it. It had the stage one done to it for oil consumption but since owning it I've seen to put over 2 quarts of oil in the car between
      oil changes. I so had the water pump replaced and now I can detect the smell of antifreeze after driving the car. No leaves, just
      the smell. My warranty is up in 5 months and I'm not too confident that the cars engine is going to be ok given the issues Audi has on earlier B8
      models. It goes in the dealer next week for an oil change and to check what I see wrong. I'm doubtful that the dealer will perform the stage 2
      repair to fix the oil consumption.

      This is the reason for considering trading up to a newer model that has most if not all bugs worked out of the engine so to speak.
      Hard thing to let go cause the car is midnight pearl with the tan interior. I like this combo and it's hard to find one locally.

      What I've been look at are 2013/2014 to buy. Are these years better or is one model much more different. I know about the cosmetic
      changes for each model but not too sure or engine, transmission and or suspension changes. Any advice would be appreciated.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member Eg2Driver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 9th, 2007
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      1,632
      Cars
      '19 Kia Forte, '01 996TT
      10-29-2015 09:57 AM #2
      2013 is b8.5, with refreshed in/out. By then, the oil consumption should be fixed. 2009-2011 tends to be oil burners Ask the dealer to check and do stage 2 at your next service.

    4. Member seymore15074's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 23rd, 2007
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      1,670
      Cars
      2012 Audi S4
      10-29-2015 10:30 AM #3
      Night and day difference between a CC and an A4? Really? I had a CC loaner once and it seemed pretty nice for the price. An A4 is pretty expensive to have a lot of the same features, IMO.

      It's been said already, 2013 is where B8.5 starts. I'd go there, if you can. I like the S-line A4's.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. 10-29-2015 02:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by seymore15074 View Post
      Night and day difference between a CC and an A4? Really? I had a CC loaner once and it seemed pretty nice for the price. An A4 is pretty expensive to have a lot of the same features, IMO.

      It's been said already, 2013 is where B8.5 starts. I'd go there, if you can. I like the S-line A4's.

      Thanks! My CC wasn't so bad, for me it was more of mechanical issues and fit. Car had lot of noises and loose parts. Maybe I got one made on a Friday? For me the A4 was much nicer and rode and felt better. I even had an A6 TD and was impressed with the ride and power but nearing $70k was not in my budget.

    7. 10-29-2015 11:12 PM #5
      I've had 5 b8 models so far, just picked up my 2nd a4. I recommend looking at 2013 or higher B8.5s, otherwise known as the facelift. They have worked out all of the Kings from the B 8. Also the MMI system is much better in the B8.5. The manifold also is manufactured to accept flex fuel which if you are able to obtain can make a significant difference in your performance. As the other poster has mentioned it is good to look for an S line especially if you are planning to do some mods. Really a premium plus with MMI is an ideal car. If you use the Tiptronic then I would say go for a 2014 because they have the updated shift paddles on the steering wheel which are larger and easier to use. If you find an A4 with the S Line interior as well then you get the flat bottom steering wheel, sports seats and usually the black headliner. These all can also be found in the black optics package which also comes with blacked-out trim as well as rotor wheels. I just picked up an A4 competition plus pack which will likely be with me for quite a long time. This was to replace my daily driver and will be my daily driver for probably the next 10 years.

    8. Member seymore15074's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 23rd, 2007
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      1,670
      Cars
      2012 Audi S4
      10-30-2015 11:14 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by shonseb View Post
      I've had 5 b8 models so far, just picked up my 2nd a4. I recommend looking at 2013 or higher B8.5s, otherwise known as the facelift. They have worked out all of the Kings from the B 8. Also the MMI system is much better in the B8.5. The manifold also is manufactured to accept flex fuel which if you are able to obtain can make a significant difference in your performance. As the other poster has mentioned it is good to look for an S line especially if you are planning to do some mods. Really a premium plus with MMI is an ideal car. If you use the Tiptronic then I would say go for a 2014 because they have the updated shift paddles on the steering wheel which are larger and easier to use. If you find an A4 with the S Line interior as well then you get the flat bottom steering wheel, sports seats and usually the black headliner. These all can also be found in the black optics package which also comes with blacked-out trim as well as rotor wheels. I just picked up an A4 competition plus pack which will likely be with me for quite a long time. This was to replace my daily driver and will be my daily driver for probably the next 10 years.
      The S-line I liked was a loaner but it also had the black optics package. It was that dark grey color. Pretty sexy. I think it was a 2014 A4... The downside to all that is that it prices the A4 way up.

      It had the flat bottom steering wheel. It felt really good compared to my B8 wheel. It's fat but comfortable and the material was a little more rubber-like than mine.

    9. 10-30-2015 05:30 PM #7
      Must have been monsoon or tornado grey. Daytona gray comes only on the competition plus models but it's possible as well. I just purchased my car (new) from Audi Wilmington in Delaware. Drove 3 hours one way to get it, but their price beat everyone else. They sell for only hundreds over invoice instead of thousands over. I suggest you call them and compare with the quotes you already got.

    10. 10-30-2015 11:20 PM #8
      I been looking and found a 2014 Premium Plus Dakota Grey with nav and the bang and oulfsen for $32k. CPO car with 18k miles. I also found a black PP with nav,30k miles and $23k price. I also see a few on fleabay but most seem to be salvage titles. S4 would be great but as much driving I do it would be a shame as the car would sit.

    11. 11-01-2015 02:00 PM #9
      If the Black PP is also 2014 and a cpo, that's not bad at all. You don't need B&O but the nav definitely adds a lot of features, including SD cards, Backup camera, Bluetooth ETC. It's nearly 10K cheaper and also would have a 6 year total warranty going up to 100K. Essentially you wouldn't need another car until 2019. If not CPO then I would ask them if you could pay the difference to make it CPO (I think ~$3K), which would still be cheaper then the DG one. If neither of these are available I would probably just go for the DG and haggle price. The closer to 2016 we get, the more the prices will drop.

    12. Moderator robbyb413's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2002
      Location
      Longmeadow, MA / Boston, MA
      Posts
      17,308
      Cars
      2013 F150 Lariat EcoBoost SCREW 6.5' bed, 2010 Audi S4 Prestige, 1987 Grady White 206G Overnighter
      11-02-2015 04:40 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by seymore15074 View Post
      Night and day difference between a CC and an A4? Really? I had a CC loaner once and it seemed pretty nice for the price. An A4 is pretty expensive to have a lot of the same features, IMO
      The CC is a nice car, but very different from a B8.
      • The CC is a B6/PQ46 chassis, whereas the A4 is on the new global B8/Modular chassis.
      • The CC, if AWD equipped, has 4motion "on demand" AWD meaning it's a purely front wheel drive under normal conditions, untill it senses an issue and then can send some power to the rear, whereas the A4 is a quattro car with a full-time mechanical AWD system that sends 60% of the power to the rear wheels, and 40% of the power to the front wheels under normal conditions.
      • The CC is smaller than the A4 in exterior dimensions.. but...
      • The CC is larger than the A4 on interior dimensions
      • The CC has less HP and Torque than the A4

      The list goes on. It's tempting to lump them together because they're in the same class and both are from VW/Audi, but they offer a distinct experience to the owners. But that's divergent from the main topic of the thread, I suppose.

      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Neon View Post
      What I've been look at are 2013/2014 to buy. Are these years better or is one model much more different. I know about the cosmetic
      changes for each model but not too sure or engine, transmission and or suspension changes. Any advice would be appreciated.
      There's not a ton going on with regards to changes between 2013 and 2014. Since the biggest issue was really the steering rack, you're going to want to pay attention to that situation as you choose between a 2013 and 2014. Good luck with your decision.

    13. 11-03-2015 01:09 PM #11
      Well the 2014 A4 CPO is a no deal,,,dealer if firm on price. The 2013 A4 without a CPO has some issues from Carfax. Rear end wreck with a 1/4 panel and bumper replacement. Reason it is a low price. I'm not sure about buying a wrecked car even if it is repaired correctly....

      My 2010 A4 went in the service this morning. Hopefully the Stage 2 will be done and I will keep the car for now, if not..I'll probably be looking again. The dealer gave me a 2016 A3 loner with 45 miles on it!! Told me to test it out...but service gal said I won't like it..too small...LOL We'll see...

    14. 11-06-2015 01:55 AM #12
      Just picked up an A3 for my mom and yes, it is very small.
      If you just wait till next year, you can get a 14,15, or 16 for much cheaper when the new models drop. The end of models usually have special editions and I just purchased one, a B8.5 Competition plus. My build thread is posted in this section

    15. 11-07-2015 10:33 AM #13
      My 2010 came back and the dealer found no reason to do a the second stage on motor. They said the oil consumption is within the limits Audi specifies. No coolant leaks or smells as what I reported..funny drove it-last night parked in garage and I could smell antifreeze again..WTH?

      I guess I am going to wait and see what pops up on the used car market. Still like that 2014 Dakota Grey A4 but going to wait..

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •