Fourtitude.com - Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi have been found to be part of the diesel emission scandal.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    1. Banned
      Cars
      German/American/Italian
      10-10-2015 08:37 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      well, we don't get them in the US and basically never have.
      I know, but you live in a funny little place where things a a wee bit different.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      10-10-2015 08:38 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      I know, but you live in a funny little place where things a a wee bit different.
      All I was doing was explaining why nealric (IIRC) didn't know of the existence of Honda & Mazda diesels
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

4. Banned
      Cars
      German/American/Italian
      10-10-2015 08:42 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      All I was doing was explaining why nealric (IIRC) didn't know of the existence of Honda & Mazda diesels
      That's not a great excuse now, is it ?

5. Senior Member
      Cars
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-10-2015 09:16 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      I've been saying that Honda and Mazda engineers were breathing a sigh of relief and regaining self-confidence once the VW scandal broke out, because they must have been tearing their hairs out trying to figure out how VW was designing their diesels to pass.
      I highly doubt the other MFRs were clueless about what VW was doing. With the amount of competition that exists for mature, wealthy markets there is plenty of benchmarking and testing done to reverse engineer product solutions... especially ones that are... unbelievable.

The issue is not some ignorance of peer engineers, but rather industry silence (i.e. Ratting out peers.). It's just not done. At least on an official, public level. And I think it isn't done, because the MFRs perpetrate various levels of 'cheating' across various facets. And I don't think it is something that is universally blatant as written into the project strategy, but rather finding loop holes to exploit. Like how companies 'cheat' taxes by finding loopholes. It's not technically illegal, but it is nothing to brag to your kids about either.

Personally I still believe the VW incident was a matter of management pressure of the highest levels in a corporate culture where saying, "No, it cannot be done." is greatly frowned upon (i.e. It wasn't some planned strategy formulated in project meetings, but rather done with the smallest group of people capable of doing so.). Especially when the culture has historically ego-maniacs like Piech, etc. And profound business goals as found in a #1 MFR like VW. Once the fateful decision is made, nearly everybody else is just playing along... keeping the ball rolling, because by the time said regrettable decision was made... that ball was gigantic and few had the courage to stop it for fear of being flattened.

^^^ This is a scenario that has been played out in various industries and organizations.

I'm almost certain plenty of people in the industry knew. The remarkable thing to me is that the story did not get out or gain traction a few years ago in this age of information. I guess auto industry scandals aren't as interesting as the Khardashians or politics.

I still believe those that pressured the most... with the most unrealistic demands... will get away with not even a slap on the wrist. If those two engineering executives are indeed the decision makers, their decision says a lot about the VW corporate culture under Piech & his type (i.e. Why would execs with such prestige and honor risk such a storied career with something so petty as cheating?). Ego-maniacal "leaders"... they often ruin things for the rest of us plebes.
      Last edited by uncleho; 10-10-2015 at 09:23 PM.

6. Banned
      Cars
      German/American/Italian
      10-10-2015 09:31 PM #55
      ^^^^

Above isn't much different to professional sports, where enormous pressure from sponsors and television companies to win, forces athletes to cheat.

Cars
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      10-10-2015 09:33 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      I still believe those that pressured the most... with the most unrealistic demands... will get away with not even a slap on the wrist. If those two engineering executives are indeed the decision makers, their decision says a lot about the VW corporate culture under Piech & his type (i.e. Why would execs with such prestige and honor risk such a storied career with something so petty as cheating?). Ego-maniacal "leaders"... they often ruin things for the rest of us plebes.
      I think that Piech should burn for this. I am appalled that Winterkorn took the fall.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

8. Senior Member
      Cars
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-10-2015 11:34 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      ^^^^

Above isn't much different to professional sports, where enormous pressure from sponsors and television companies to win, forces athletes to cheat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123