VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sold the FR-S, but still might dead - C7 Z51 content

13K views 69 replies 60 participants last post by  Hostile 
#1 ·
Brief background:

Last year, I picked up a new, leftover 2013 Scion FR-S to effectively replace a 2006 Cayman S that I had sold a few months earlier for various reasons. This resulted in a fair amount of hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth by TCL, which can be found here for your reading pleasure:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showth...awk-sold-my-Cayman-but-bought-an-FR-S-instead

In the year and a half I owned the FR-S, I came to really love it – it’s got its flaws, for sure, mostly around cheap-o build quality and a lackluster engine, but neither really hampered my ability to enjoy the car and get the most out of it. I took it from factory fresh to track-modified (and back again) in just a few short months, but the decision to pawn it off to CarMax was made fairly easy when this beauty dropped into my lap:

Short version of the story; a very close friend of mine owns and operates a race shop locally; they do track day and race car setup and trackside support. He also does weekend fly-out car chief support for a very well-known team in the Tudor championship series. Suffice it to say, he knows his stuff.

The previous owner of this black Z51 7MT bought the car new locally and brought it to my friend to set it up for weekend track usage. To an already loaded 3LT Z51, he added:

6-piston Wilwood calipers and two-piece rotors front and rear
Sparco Pro 2000 seats and rails
Harness bar and OMP harnesses
Carbon splitter, side sills, and rear OEM spoiler with an added (adjustable) Gurney flap
Toyo R888 tires on OEM wheels

Soon after the guy started doing a few weekends in the car, the bug truly bit him and he decided he wanted to go racing racing…with a dedicated race car (assume that money is no object for this guy). Though he only had done some mild track work in the car, he concluded it was too nice to continue using on track (I am fine with him coming to this conclusion, FWIW). He brought the car back to my friend to have it returned to stock, where I happened upon it one day just before he was about to start working on it. I knew the car, and the owner (he actually instructed me at a NASA track day at Sebring I did in the FR-S), and I knew it had been religiously maintained (Redline fluids every 1k miles) and decided, for a laugh, to ask him what he wanted for it.

The number he came back with was such a solid deal that I threw all caution to the wind and decided to pawn off the FR-S and bring home the Vette. A few days later, the deal was done. I’ve had the car for almost a month now, have autocrossed it once and plan on tracking it this fall when the weather turns nice down here in FL. It’s incredible, in short. The modifications my friend added take an already incredible package and add a measure of grip and braking that are truly supercar-grade. With the harnesses and track brake pads, it's not exactly daily-driver friendly, but I don't commute in it anyway so it doesn't bother me too much. I may swap in the passenger side OEM seat (he included stock parts as well) in the near future for the wifey's comfort, but for the time being, she enjoys the theatre of the current setup (she's a keeper). I’ll have more impressions to share as I spend more time with the car, but suffice it to say, I’m beyond thrilled and consider myself very lucky that such an opportunity came my way.

Hope you enjoy, and hopefully now I’m at least partially redeemed for selling a Cayman S for an FR-S. ;)

See less See more
#7 ·
Your Scion was awesome and I hate black cars but congrats on the Vette:D It looks like an awesome package and that interior is way cool. :thumbup:

#26 ·
great choice OP, i had a black C5 and there are few substitutes for sbc thunder and those lines. :thumbup::thumbup:

you've gone from too few torks might dead to too many torks might dead. :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.