Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Cars
      '16 Mazda Miata Club /'17 GMC Acadia Denali
      09-24-2015 08:31 AM #1
      I know the last thing we need is another TDI-Gate thread, but this is pretty interesting:

Daniel Carder, an unassuming 45-year-old engineer with gray hair and blue jeans, appears an unlikely type to take down one of the world's most powerful companies.

But he and his small research team at West Virginia University may have done exactly that, with a $50,000 study which produced early evidence that Volkswagen AG was cheating on U.S. vehicle emissions tests, setting off a scandal that threatens the German automaker's leadership, reputation and finances.

"The testing we did kind of opened the can of worms," Carder says of his five-member engineering team and the research project that found much higher on-road diesel emission levels for VW vehicles than what U.S. regulators were seeing in tests.

Daniel Acker | Bloomberg | Getty Images
      A 2015 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TDI compact vehicle, featuring a clean diesel engine, sits outside a dealership in Ottawa, Illinois, on Wednesday.

The results of that study, which was paid for by the nonprofit International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) in late 2012 and completed in May 2013, were later corroborated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board (CARB).

Carder's team—a research professor, two graduate students, a faculty member and himself— performed road tests around Los Angeles and up the West Coast to Seattle that generated results so pronounced that they initially suspected a problem with their own research.

"The first thing you do is beat yourself up and say, 'Did we not do something right?' You always blame yourself," he told Reuters in an interview. "(We) saw huge discrepancies. There was one vehicle with 15 to 35 times the emissions levels and another vehicle with 10 to 20 times the emissions levels."

Despite the discrepancies, a fix shouldn't involve major changes. "It could be something very small," said Carder, who's the interim director of West Virginia University's Center for Alternative Fuels, Engines and Emissions in Morgantown, about 200 miles (320 km) west of Washington in the Appalachian foothills.

"It can simply be a change in the fuel injection strategy. What might be realized is a penalty in fuel economy in order to get these systems more active, to lower the emissions levels.

Carder said he's surprised to see such a hullabaloo now, because his team's findings were made public nearly a year and a half ago.

"We actually presented this data in a public forum and were actually questioned by Volkswagen," said Carder.

The ICCT's research contract to Carder's team was sparked by separate findings by the European Commission's Joint Research Centre, which showed a discrepancy between test results and real world performance in European diesel engines.

The diesel vehicles chosen for the West Virginia study were the VW Passat, the VW Jetta and the BMW X5. Unlike the VW vehicles, Carder said the BMW vehicle "performed very nicely—at, or below, the certification emission levels."

West Virginia University is not new to ground-breaking emissions research, having helped create the first technology to measure vehicle emissions on the road more than 15 years ago.

Carder belonged to a 15-member West Virginia University team that pioneered portable emissions testing as part of a 1998 settlement between the U.S. Justice Department and several heavy duty diesel engine makers including Caterpillar and Cummins Engine Co.

The manufacturers agreed to pay $83.4 million in civil penalties after federal officials found evidence that they were selling heavy duty diesel engines equipped with "defeat devices" that allowed the engines to meet EPA emission standards during testing but disabled the emission control system during normal highway driving.

When the news about Volkswagen broke last Friday, Carder heard from some of the heavy diesel engine manufacturers that were part of the consent decree.

"They saw what had happened and called to say: 'Good job, you guys,"' Carder said. "Some folks said: 'How did they not learn from our mistakes 15 years ago?"'

Regarding his role in unearthing the current scandal, Carder said there was no particular sense of excitement when his team confirmed that the higher VW emission results were real and not a consequence of faulty measurements.

"There's no incentive for us to pass or fail," he said. "Obviously, we don't want to see something spewing emissions and polluting the environment. But we really have no horse in the race, as they say."

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/23/meet-...agens-lie.html

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      09-24-2015 08:39 AM #2
      i liked this article except for one thing.

Daniel Carder, an unassuming 45-year-old engineer with gray hair and blue jeans, appears an unlikely type to take down one of the world's most powerful companies.

But he and his small research team at West Virginia University may have done exactly that
      makes it sound like David taking down Goliath. like VW is some big bad evil corporation trying to destroy the world, and this guy was all that stood in their way.

4. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      09-24-2015 08:49 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomeBroke View Post
      i liked this article except for one thing.

makes it sound like David taking down Goliath. like VW is some big bad evil corporation trying to destroy the world, and this guy was all that stood in their way.
      But that's what happened. You don't have to like it, but this guy and his team made a difference on this issue.

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      09-24-2015 08:52 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by classicjetta View Post
      But that's what happened. You don't have to like it, but this guy and his team made a difference on this issue.
      1) VW is hardly "taken down"
      2) they will most likely follow the same path as every other manufacturer who has been through some serious ****.
      3) i never said i didn't like it. i said the way it's worded made it sound worse than it actually is.

Cars
      '13 392, '90 Miata, '11 Wrangler
      09-24-2015 08:53 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomeBroke View Post
      1) VW is hardly "taken down"
      2) they will most likely follow the same path as every other manufacturer who has been through some serious ****.
      3) i never said i didn't like it. i said the way it's worded made it sound worse than it actually is.
      I get what you're saying. It is a bit melodramatic.

7. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      09-24-2015 09:01 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ByronLLN View Post
      I get what you're saying. It is a bit melodramatic.
      Such is most news sources that aren't NPR.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Cars
      392+485=LOL
      09-24-2015 09:04 AM #7
      All news is sensationalized to a degree, I don't care what the source is. Some is more extreme than others (Fox News, The Daily Beast, The Huffington Post), and some is more subtle but still present. Even NPR. Never turn off your BS filter and always think critically, because the media won't change. Ever.

Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.
      "First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

Cars
      2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      09-24-2015 09:05 AM #8
      "Take down" is heavy handed journalism: I heard an interview on NPR of the guy and he was asked if he felt 'vindicated.' He was very clear in his response that they never intended to 'take down' anyone. He's a scientist and discovered a discrepency and reported it.

Cars
      LS & Bags...
      09-24-2015 09:05 AM #9
      Such is most news sources that aren't NPR.
      Umm, really NPR? That's who you chose for your reference as a non melodramatic unbiased news source? Sheesh....

11. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      09-24-2015 09:06 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by madrussian View Post
      Umm, really NPR? That's who you chose for your reference as a non melodramatic unbiased news source? Sheesh....
      Yes. Are you going to tell me the BBC is way better now?

Cars
      LS & Bags...
      09-24-2015 09:17 AM #11
      Yes. Are you going to tell me the BBC is way better now?
      No. Fox News.

13. Member
      Cars
      03 GTI 04R32 next up
      09-24-2015 09:21 AM #12
      lol no one really cares, this does little to VW image and its future customers lol

Last edited by perm; 09-24-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Cars
      09-24-2015 09:24 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      "Take down" is heavy handed journalism: I heard an interview on NPR of the guy and he was asked if he felt 'vindicated.' He was very clear in his response that they never intended to 'take down' anyone. He's a scientist and discovered a discrepency and reported it.

And that alone is an attention-catching lede.

Cars
      UberBlack
      09-24-2015 09:25 AM #14
      Interesting stuff.

Cars
      North American German crap and German German crap
      09-24-2015 09:35 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by perm View Post
      lol no one hardy cares does nothing to VW and its future customers lol
      Can someone translate?
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      UberBlack
      09-24-2015 09:37 AM #16
      lol no one hardy cares does nothing to VW and its future customers lol
      Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI View Post
      Can someone translate?
      "Lol, Ed Hardy doesn't care. This does nothing to his VW and his future customers, lol."

Cars
      09-24-2015 09:37 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI View Post
      Can someone translate?
      dubs 4 lyfe lol honduh

Cars
      2018 Civic Type-R
      09-24-2015 09:58 AM #18
      I am sure this guy will be very jumpy around anyone with a German accent for the rest of his life
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Cars
      '06 C55 AMG, '11 LS460 AWD luxo-barge & not quite enough motorcycles
      09-24-2015 10:01 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by madrussian View Post
      No. Fox News.
      As a life-long independent Republican, that's gotta be sarcasm, right?

lol no one really cares, this does little to VW image and its future customers lol

Almost, one more edit oughta do it.
      Something witty will be in this exact spot soon.

Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      09-24-2015 10:03 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      Almost, one more edit oughta do it.
      anyone else see this behind perm's keyboard?

Cars
      Current: 2018 ABM Civic Type R Was: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT, 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-24-2015 10:06 AM #21
      Technically I'd think their goal wasn't set out to "take down" VW, they had a study, tried to find some results, and the finding caused VW to be in the hot water. They weren't adversarial in their role to VW, just merely publishing the fact.

Cars
      '16 Mazda Miata Club /'17 GMC Acadia Denali
      09-24-2015 10:16 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      Technically I'd think their goal wasn't set out to "take down" VW, they had a study, tried to find some results, and the finding caused VW to be in the hot water. They weren't adversarial in their role to VW, just merely publishing the fact.
      But just like Frank Wills didn't intend to take down a presidency, you never know when just doing your job can have huge implications.

Cars
      '12/A4 8AT; '01/Avant 2.7T 6MT
      09-24-2015 10:25 AM #23
      I read this story. Apparently BMW has better engineers. The X5 passed the test. The price of used TDI engines should be super cheep now for engine swaps! I'd like a B5 Avant quattro TDI!
      Signature blank...

Cars
      12 Ecoboosted Flex, 11 6-speed quad cab Frontier, recently sold02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      09-24-2015 10:46 AM #24

Just a pick for the click and because I'm a Mountaineer

Cars
      LS & Bags...
      09-24-2015 10:48 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      As a life-long independent Republican, that's gotta be sarcasm, right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast