Fourtitude.com - Clarkson and crew take one more shot at BBC with possible new title for Amazon show
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

View Poll Results: Which would you rather see as the title?

Voters
    62. You may not vote on this poll
    • Gear Knobs

42 67.74%
    • Gear Nobs

20 32.26%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      2011 Jetta 2.5
      09-17-2015 12:07 PM #1
      http://fortune.com/2015/09/17/clarks...=yahoo_fortune
      "Gear Knobs" or "Gear Nobs"

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May have been given free reign by Amazon ( AMZN 0.93% ) Prime to make their new show, the Independent reports. The freedom they’ve been given may extend to the show’s title, which is oftentimes generated by media executives.

We can’t know for sure what the title will be, but BuzzFeed has pointed out that Olswang, Clarkson’s law firm, registered the phrase “Gear Knobs” as a trademark. It can now be used for television programs, merchandise, printed material, and so on. The law firm registered the phrase “Gear Nobs” too, just in case they want to go for something a little less subtle. The three aren’t exactly known for their delicacy.

Clarkson, Hammond, and May are, in fact, best known for hosting BBC’s motor show Top Gear since 2002, a title that the trademarked phrase might be poking fun at. They left when Clarkson’s contract wasn’t renewed following a physical altercation with a producer.
      Although it was a controversial ending, the trio might be getting a better deal working with Amazon Prime. Amazon plans to spend $246 million on 36 episodes over the course of three years, giving them a budget ten times larger than they received at BBC.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2017 A5
      09-17-2015 12:11 PM #2
      needs an option for 'neither, it's time to move past this'
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      09-17-2015 03:11 PM #3
      How is that a shot at the BBC?

Cars
      15 Rav4
      09-17-2015 03:25 PM #4
      Maybe if Hammond were in charge, they'd be the Richard Gears.
      YouTube is not a medical device.

Cars
      '12 Golf R - sold, '04 GLI, '18 GTI
      09-17-2015 03:25 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      How is that a shot at the BBC?
      Same, just make the damn show so I can go bitch how I have to pay for it even if I already have prime. Dammit Netflix.

Cars
      '19 Odyssey, '12 Sportwagen 2.5
      09-17-2015 03:31 PM #6
      Amazon plans to spend $246 million on 36 episodes over the course of three years, giving them a budget ten times larger than they received at BBC.
      Well $hit, I may have to get this Amazon thing afterall...

8. 09-17-2015 03:36 PM #7
      Meh....I used to be a big fan of Top Gear, but I never even finished the last few seasons. I'm sure I'll watch a few clips on youtube, but I think they jumped the shark a while back.
      2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology
      2016 Fiat 500e, Electric Orange Tri-Coat Pearl/Black - I live life 84 miles at a time!

9. Goes in two directions RAVatar's Avatar
      Cars
      '14 Toy RAV4Runner '13 Ferrari 458 Italia Size: XS
      09-17-2015 03:38 PM #8
      Semantics with the title aside, they're receiving just south of $7M per episode. If they were already making the product they were making (I'm talking visuals and wow factor, not actual dialogue and content) with a tenth of that budget, then I can't wait to see what they come up with now. Hopefully they get a few good years in before one of them gets too friendly with the reaper from alcohol poisoning or lung cancer.
      Off Topikstan CSB Thread, First Responder (c) 2013
      IG - the_cama_lens
      OG:SAV912
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for an aSS
      She got so pissed off she dumped her tits out at me.

That's totally inappropriate. It's lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!
      Cars
      '18 VW Alltrack, '15 Outback Limited
      09-17-2015 03:43 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 03_uni-B View Post
      Same, just make the damn show so I can go bitch how I have to pay for it even if I already have prime. Dammit Netflix.
      There was an article on BBC about how Netflix thought the guys were not worth it. They are "data driven" and do not see enough watching to make it worth the cost to bring the show in.

09-17-2015 03:58 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by daSchtick View Post
      Meh....I used to be a big fan of Top Gear, but I never even finished the last few seasons. I'm sure I'll watch a few clips on youtube, but I think they jumped the shark a while back.
      Quote Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
      Semantics with the title aside, they're receiving just south of $7M per episode.
      TBH, if there was going to be a goofy nonsense show getting $7 million an episode, I'd rather it be Mythbusters. For that much money they could have had all the cast members they've ever featured and even more involvement with 3rd parties for epic builds.

09-17-2015 04:31 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      Real talk.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      09-17-2015 04:32 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      There was an article on BBC about how Netflix thought the guys were not worth it. They are "data driven" and do not see enough watching to make it worth the cost to bring the show in.
      Netflix is in a bit different position. They have already proven their ability to make critically acclaimed shows on their own. Amazon's offerings have not gotten nearly the same reception. Purchasing a proven show with a huge built-in audience may be worth it for getting their foot in the door of the original content game.

14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-17-2015 04:35 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      TBH, if there was going to be a goofy nonsense show getting $7 million an episode, I'd rather it be Mythbusters. For that much money they could have had all the cast members they've ever featured and even more involvement with 3rd parties for epic builds.
      And the props for the Star Wars special wouldn't have been so wobbly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

09-17-2015 04:55 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Netflix is in a bit different position. They have already proven their ability to make critically acclaimed shows on their own. Amazon's offerings have not gotten nearly the same reception. Purchasing a proven show with a huge built-in audience may be worth it for getting their foot in the door of the original content game.
      Ehh... kinda. Netflix' own shows blow, IMHO. What Netflix did bet on is Disney. Back in 2012 they inked a deal to gain access to a massive segment of the Disney movie library starting in 2016. That's only a few months from now. Why spend a quarter billion chasing after one single show (which netflix already has 12 seasons of in their library) when they're about to gain access to one of the most proven valuable media libraries in the world? Netflix-Disney in 2016 is a bigger deal than Amazon gaining access to one show that's already in its 14th season or whatever.

That's totally inappropriate. It's lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!
      Cars
      '18 VW Alltrack, '15 Outback Limited
      09-17-2015 05:02 PM #15
      Ehh... kinda. Netflix' own shows blow, IMHO. What Netflix did bet on is Disney. Back in 2012 they inked a deal to gain access to a massive segment of the Disney movie library starting in 2016. That's only a few months from now. Why spend a quarter billion chasing after one single show (which netflix already has 12 seasons of in their library) when they're about to gain access to one of the most proven valuable media libraries in the world? Netflix-Disney in 2016 is a bigger deal than Amazon gaining access to one show that's already in its 14th season or whatever.
      House of Cards begs to differ...

Cars
      13 Lincoln MKZ
      09-17-2015 05:03 PM #16
      If they are taking a shot at the BBC then that is lame. I still don't like how just because Clarkson is famous and likable people are okay with him assaulting a co-worker. The BBC did the right thing and what they had to do by letting him go.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      09-17-2015 05:03 PM #17
      Regardless of what you think of Netflix's own shows, they've gotten a lot of press, awards, etc. Not so much with Amazon. The reason Netflix and Amazon want to produce their own content is that it prevents them from being totally beholden to the big media companies. If one day a major content provider such as Disney decides not to re-up the contract or charges exorbitantly to do so, they will have a fallback on their own content. It also creates a lock-in effect for fans of that specific show. People buy Nintendo consoles because they want to play Mario, not because their hardware is amazing. Likewise, people may get a Netflix subscription so they can watch House of Cards, not necessarily because they a unique and special streaming service.

Cars
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1973 Gran Torino station wagon
      09-17-2015 05:18 PM #18
      I'll keep watching TG US...

Cars
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      09-17-2015 05:22 PM #19
      I fail to see how this is a "shot" at the BBC. Is it because it has the word "Gear" in the title?

Seems like just a play on words to me. Maybe i'm just too stupid.

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      09-17-2015 06:29 PM #20
      Amazon plans to spend $246 million on 36 episodes over the course of three years, giving them a budget ten times larger than they received at BBC.
      I really want to know what they're doing with all that money. 10x larger is a LOT, and it's not like Top Gear lacked quality cars, shots or locations, IMO.
      ಠ_ಠ

Cars
      2008 Camry Wagon
      09-17-2015 06:38 PM #21
      Do they have rights to the kitschy stuff? Or will we hear things like:

"All we know is....he's called The Stug"
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

09-17-2015 07:01 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post

Well for fiction, characters are protected under the general copyright protections. Like, you can't have a TV show called "Space Trekking" and then have Dr. Beverly Crusher on the crew. Each fictional character on the show is covered. Since "The Stig" is a fictional character played by multiple different actors, I'd say that the BBC still owns the rights to the character called The Stig.

09-17-2015 07:30 PM #23
      This thread is boring, I'm going to go watch The Starving Games on Netflix.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Cars
      3 Volkswagens!
      09-17-2015 08:50 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by HaterSlayer View Post
      I still don't like how just because Clarkson is famous and likable people are okay with him assaulting a co-worker. The BBC did the right thing and what they had to do by letting him go.
      Vamped Tuning!

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      09-17-2015 09:54 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post

The BBC owns the Stig, SIARPC, Hot Wall, et al. British copyright protection may even extend to the concept of those items so they couldn't even have a tamed racing driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast