Fourtitude.com - Sleeper build, round 2
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2
      04-23-2019 09:15 AM #251
      You are an inspiration npace! Great work there!
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2, APR intake, turbo inlet pipe and downpipe, R8 Coilpacks, GFB DV+, S3 Matt Chrome Mirror covers, aspherical mirrors, Maxton Design RS3 Rear Spoiler Extension, RS3 Badgeless Grille, P3Cars Vent Multi-Gauge, ORT (Open Road Tuning) RS Spec Coilovers, 3SDM 0.01s 19X8.5 et42 offset wheels

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2010 A3 Quattro S-Line/Monza Silver
      04-23-2019 07:52 PM #252
      nice work man! Things are really starting to come along.
      Sent from somewhere at bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

https://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?7132668-AG-s-2010-A3-S-Line-Quattro

4. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      04-25-2019 06:09 AM #253
      Another kind of small update... chipping away at this.

Transmission is completely bolted in with the new 034 motorsport mount, new starter on, and clutch line installed.

Put in the 034 motorsport engine mount since the engine support bar was already there and coolant already drained. Easy to get the bubble out of the way when it's empty.

034 mount on the bottom, stock on top.

And the engine support bar is off the car. a small victory, but I'll take it, as it's starting to at least look driveable.

I also installed the front axle flange. I wasn't sure if I was going to have to use the manual transmission one and replace the axle on the driver's side. After inspection, the splines turned out to be exactly the same, so the DSG one went in. A few hundred dollars I don't have to spend.

This also keeps things symmetrical since the transfer case came direct from the DSG and there is no easy way to get the axle flange off on that side.

I also put a liter of trans fluid in the transmission. It's been sitting since I built it in January with no fluid, so I was a little concerned about lubrication. I also wanted to check for leaks. The other 2 liters will go in once I have the car level. Went with liquimoly for the fluid.

And that's pretty much where I'm at. I'll get more done tonight after work. I haven't decided whether I want to tackle the cooling system or the subframe yet. The cooling system is less work physically, but will take about as long. With the subframe, getting everything lined up with the steering rack on a floor jack will probably be tedious, but it gets more space back into the garage. Decisions, decisions.....

Cars
      07 A3 3.2 stormtrooper
      04-25-2019 07:57 PM #254
      A VR6 AWD w/ lots of goodies

6. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      05-05-2019 09:24 PM #255
      A bunch of stuff got done. I owe pics, but here's where I'm at:

Subframe and steering rack are mounted and installed. I added the 034 Motorsport dogbone. With that added, I'm pretty sure there's nothing left I can do on the front suspension.

Axles are installed.

Shift linkage is all connected and adjusted. I went with the diesel geek short shift kit. I had to re-adjust a couple times, as the first time I did I had a really hard time getting first and couldn't get reverse at all.

Clutch is bled. This was the actually the hardest thing (as far as what's left on the list goes). It took me several hours and different methods. What worked best for me was getting the fluid reservoir half empty, and reverse bleeding (pumping fluid in through the bleed valve).

I still have to finish filling the transmission, fill the transfer case, connect the ball joints, wire up the clutch position sensor and reverse light sensor, re-route / connect the battery cable, re-install the intercooler piping and cooling fans, re-install the coolant res and bleed the cooling system, throw on the front bumper cover / grill and headlights, and install the exhaust hangers.

It's a laundry list of what should be a bunch of 10-15 minute jobs, but I'm not convinced it will happen that fast.

Pics tomorrow..... probably.

Cars
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      05-06-2019 04:49 PM #256
      Quote Originally Posted by npace View Post
      A bunch of stuff got done. I owe pics, but here's where I'm at:

Subframe and steering rack are mounted and installed. I added the 034 Motorsport dogbone. With that added, I'm pretty sure there's nothing left I can do on the front suspension.

Axles are installed.

Shift linkage is all connected and adjusted. I went with the diesel geek short shift kit. I had to re-adjust a couple times, as the first time I did I had a really hard time getting first and couldn't get reverse at all.

Clutch is bled. This was the actually the hardest thing (as far as what's left on the list goes). It took me several hours and different methods. What worked best for me was getting the fluid reservoir half empty, and reverse bleeding (pumping fluid in through the bleed valve).

I still have to finish filling the transmission, fill the transfer case, connect the ball joints, wire up the clutch position sensor and reverse light sensor, re-route / connect the battery cable, re-install the intercooler piping and cooling fans, re-install the coolant res and bleed the cooling system, throw on the front bumper cover / grill and headlights, and install the exhaust hangers.

It's a laundry list of what should be a bunch of 10-15 minute jobs, but I'm not convinced it will happen that fast.

Pics tomorrow..... probably.

It's getting so close man! Have you had any more insight into how to handle the programming side of things? Would it be possible to swap the ECU with one from a manual car if necessary? (Did the TSI cars come with a FWD manual option?) I'm not sure how the Haldex/transmission/ECU all talk to one another...

8. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      05-07-2019 08:13 AM #257
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post

It's getting so close man! Have you had any more insight into how to handle the programming side of things? Would it be possible to swap the ECU with one from a manual car if necessary? (Did the TSI cars come with a FWD manual option?) I'm not sure how the Haldex/transmission/ECU all talk to one another...
      From what I've been able to find, if I get the wiring right, I'll be able to drive the car, but will have warning lights for the transmission, and possibly will have ABS upset with me. When I spoke with United Motorsport over the phone, they indicated that it's possible that I will need an ECU, but not definitive. They won't be able to make a determination until I get the car to them.

Cars
      07 A3 3.2 stormtrooper
      05-07-2019 10:09 AM #258
      A VR6 AWD w/ lots of goodies

Cars
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      05-10-2019 06:14 PM #259
      So Close man!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue

11. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      05-20-2019 01:30 PM #260
      According to everything I've read on the internet (which must be true), one only needs to wire up two of the 4 connections on the clutch position sensor in order to get the car to start. I did both of them and.... nothing. This wasn't totally unexpected. I'm still planning on getting the car to someone who can do the programming, and I may have them go ahead with wiring. What I haven't done it attempt to wire up all of the clutch position sensor connections to see if that works.

It's going to be a little while before another update... I am completely moved out of my house in upstate NY, and most of my tools went with the household goods shipment to GA where I'm moving. My wife and I are buying a house, and still have to get the non-moving car (I'm going to tow it) and the kids down next week.

Again, if anyone has ideas on a DSG to manual swap or knows someone who knows someone who's done it, let me know.

12. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      05-20-2019 06:12 PM #261
      As promised (a while ago, I know), I have pics for the two other people that read this. At this point, the thread is probably more of an internal conversation / documentation, but whatever.

Got the front axle cups in. The splines for the 02E version matched, so I re-used those since they are a slightly stronger design. It was a cheaper way of doing this, since I didn't have to buy new axle cups and axles.

Front to rear driveshaft, all bolted up. I made a mistake and left a hydraulic jack supporting the steering rack / driveshaft (which was just resting on the steering rack) for the month I was out training with the Army. The jack failed, and the driveshaft coupling got banged up, which you can see in the pic. I'll probably end up getting a new one, if for no other reason than my own OCD, but for now I just want to get this done and driving.

The top of the subframe, all cleaned up before re-install:

Getting it mounted and installed took a while; essentially you have to lift it into position with the steering rack, get the three dowel pin sleeves lines up, bolt it to the steering rack, and then lift everything into position to bolt to the unibody. When bolting to the unibody, I recommend only threading in each bolt a little then going around and threading each bolt to hand tight, and then doing the process one more time to torque. If you go ahead and try to hand tighten each bolt immediately, you probably can't get at least one other bolt in (at least I couldn't).

And the 034 billet dogbone mount. I need to get a pic of this as it is on the car now, but can't find one, so I'll have to snap one later and upload it.

It took a couple tries to get the adjustment right, but here's the Diesel geek short shift kit installed:

And finally, the clutch master line connected to the brake master reservoir:

But believe it or not, the most exciting part of this update is not a picture. I reached out to Black Forest Industries, as they are on the way (mostly) between upstate NY and GA, and they will be able to get the car programmed in house! Super stoked on this one. I'm going to finish up the wiring over the next week and then get the car to BFI. It also saves me close to 8 hours of towing the car, which will make the trip a little more enjoyable and safer. Hopefully my next big update will have the car driving.

13. Member
      Cars
      2011 Audi A3 Quattro S-Line CCTA DSG
      05-20-2019 08:08 PM #262
      That's great news (BFI)! Hope all works out for you. I think there's a few more that two people that read your thread, at least five!
      HPA K04/Intake Manifold/tune, HPA DSG tune, PTP turbo blanket, APR Downpipe, Carbonio Intake, GFB's DV+, Red Top coils, BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Swaybar and rear subframe mounts, Audi R8 knock off wheels, RS3 Grille, Aspherical mirrors, StopTech slotted rotors and steal brake lines, US Mill Works license plate bracket, Clearmounts phone holder.

14. Member
      Cars
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2
      05-21-2019 09:31 AM #263
      Quote Originally Posted by dale333 View Post
      That's great news (BFI)! Hope all works out for you. I think there's a few more that two people that read your thread, at least five!
      Agreed. Good luck!
      2013 Audi A3 Premium Plus S-Line Quattro - Nav and Sunroof - Brilliant Black - APR Stage 2, APR intake, turbo inlet pipe and downpipe, R8 Coilpacks, GFB DV+, S3 Matt Chrome Mirror covers, aspherical mirrors, Maxton Design RS3 Rear Spoiler Extension, RS3 Badgeless Grille, P3Cars Vent Multi-Gauge, ORT (Open Road Tuning) RS Spec Coilovers, 3SDM 0.01s 19X8.5 et42 offset wheels

Cars
      09 A3
      05-21-2019 05:02 PM #264
      im also here

Cars
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      05-22-2019 02:53 PM #265
      Quote Originally Posted by npace View Post
      But believe it or not, the most exciting part of this update is not a picture. I reached out to Black Forest Industries, as they are on the way (mostly) between upstate NY and GA, and they will be able to get the car programmed in house! Super stoked on this one. I'm going to finish up the wiring over the next week and then get the car to BFI. It also saves me close to 8 hours of towing the car, which will make the trip a little more enjoyable and safer. Hopefully my next big update will have the car driving.

That's awesome! What is involved with the programming to make it work? Is it basically a custom ECU modification or what? Also curious to know if it will show as a manual in the DIS on your cluster, how that looks/works, etc.

For what it's worth, I basically only check in here these days to read updates in your thread, so keep it going!

17. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      06-03-2019 07:18 AM #266
      Thanks everyone. I've made it down to GA.... towed the A3 to BFI in North Carolina on the way down:

I'm not entirely sure what the programming entails; according to BFI it's different than tuning the engine, this is just telling the ECU that it's a manual transmission. While it's there, they will clean up my make-shift wiring job and a few other odds and ends. I wasn't sure about the wiring as the A3 Bentley is only available as an electronic version and it's a little dated. I also have a hard-copy MKV Bentley, and the wiring diagrams in that are different so I had to take a "best guess". Since the car didn't start, I never crimped anything because I didn't want a permanent wiring job in there without knowing if it worked. Once I get the car back, I'll look through how BFI did it and post what I can gather.

As far as the DIS goes, it should show as a manual. When I programmed the TCU in the DSG, it changed the display to show what gear the car was in, even if not in "S" mode. I think the display is programmed to show what is sent by the ECU / TCU.

I'll let you all know once I get the car back and running. Even when that happens, the project is far from over; I still want to rebuild the cylinder head for more / better flow, upgrade the turbo, and do a few other things.

Cars
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      06-03-2019 04:08 PM #267
      Any idea how long it will take BFI to get the car going? Looking forward to your first drive impressions

19. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      06-04-2019 08:03 AM #268
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      Any idea how long it will take BFI to get the car going? Looking forward to your first drive impressions

I'm not sure, but they seemed pretty confident that it would be a fairly quick affair. I'm closing on a house this month, and I start training for my new assignment as well, so the real issue will be finding time to fly back to NC and pick it up.

20. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      06-09-2019 09:39 AM #269
      Got a call from BFI the other day. The good news is the car is re-programmed and recognizes itself as a 6MT / AWD car. The bad news is when they went to move the car, it "sounded like marbles" in the transmission. When they drained it, this is what they found.....

It's hard to see, but that fluid should look brand new, and there's metal chunks and shavings in there. This is 100% my fault, as I missed something when I re-assembled the transmission. Either I did something wrong, or the transmission was bad to begin with and I overlooked something. When I pulled it apart, there was an area on the engine side of the inside of the case where the main input shaft sits that looked slightly rubbed. I ignored it because when I put everything back together before putting the case back together, everything turned freely with no issue.

The most frustrating thing about this (other than having to source another transmission) is that I don't know where I went wrong in the disassemble / inspect / rebuild / assemble process. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Now I have to get another transmission shipped to BFI and leave it in their hands. I'm sure they'll do a great job, I'm just bummed that I didn't do it myself.

On another note, one of the front control arms is missing a bolt:

BFI sent this pic, and I'm not sure where / how this happened; the only thing I can think is that the vibration on the 1200 mile trip on the trailer eventually knocked it loose. Not a big deal, but the lesson is this: always use thread locker.

That's it for now. Next time I should be in the car and driving, after I take care of a few other small issues on the car (finish / finalize the battery cable routing, re-install the rear end-links, install the headlights). I towed the car without headlights installed basically because I ran out of time... I made some custom lights that still need to be properly aimed.

21. Member
      Cars
      06-09-2019 10:12 AM #270
      That sucks about the trans. It definitely seems like the car is in good hands. Thank goodness the control arm bolt didn't come out while driving.

I tried to put a GT35R turbo on my Nissan Altima CVT (after I killed the third trans I took it off) I got my all my transmissions from same place. The guy was prompt, and good to work with. Granted this was a few years ago but his email was [email protected] You could email him and see if he can help.

From one of my emails
      Talley Trans North America Recycled Car and Heavy Truck parts 1-888-413-1875 or 1-404-477-4840 or 1-912-996-4444
      HQ: Georgia. 1600 warehouses in the U.S. and Canada, since 1982.
      We care: Talley Trans is Better Business Bureau A+
      http://goo.gl/sBxL0

Reliable engines, Turbos, transmissions, axles, differentials, airbags, computer modules,
      navigation, doors, seats, hatches, truck beds, truck cabs, front ends,
      audio, climate controls, speedometers, steering columns and wheels.

http://www.talleytransinc.com
      http://www.twitter.com/talleytrans
      HPA K04/Intake Manifold/tune, HPA DSG tune, PTP turbo blanket, APR Downpipe, Carbonio Intake, GFB's DV+, Red Top coils, BKR8EIX plugs, 034 Swaybar and rear subframe mounts, Audi R8 knock off wheels, RS3 Grille, Aspherical mirrors, StopTech slotted rotors and steal brake lines, US Mill Works license plate bracket, Clearmounts phone holder.

22. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      06-09-2019 11:10 AM #271
      That sucks about the trans. It definitely seems like the car is in good hands. Thank goodness the control arm bolt didn't come out while driving.

I tried to put a GT35R turbo on my Nissan Altima CVT (after I killed the third trans I took it off) I got my all my transmissions from same place. The guy was prompt, and good to work with. Granted this was a few years ago but his email was [email protected] You could email him and see if he can help.

From one of my emails
      Talley Trans North America Recycled Car and Heavy Truck parts 1-888-413-1875 or 1-404-477-4840 or 1-912-996-4444
      HQ: Georgia. 1600 warehouses in the U.S. and Canada, since 1982.
      We care: Talley Trans is Better Business Bureau A+
      http://goo.gl/sBxL0

Reliable engines, Turbos, transmissions, axles, differentials, airbags, computer modules,
      navigation, doors, seats, hatches, truck beds, truck cabs, front ends,
      audio, climate controls, speedometers, steering columns and wheels.

http://www.talleytransinc.com
      http://www.twitter.com/talleytrans

Thanks for the info. I've found two good candidates with 6-month warranties. I'm also looking at a place that deals exclusively in used audi parts and has a lifetime warranty ---- this may be out of reach in terms of cost. According to their webpage they don't have an 02Q in stock currently, but I've reached out to them and requested the part / quote so we'll see.

The other thing I didn't mention earlier is that I have to have the brand new LSD shipped back to peloquin for a teardown / inspection / rebuild. It's cheaper than buying new, but again, just something else to deal with.

I can't find a transmission with less than 84,000 miles on the clock, which shouldn't be a huge deal as long as the syncros are good. I think in terms of long time use / reliability, manual transmissions (even in these cars) are pretty good; it's other things like timing chain tensioners and rear main seals that tend to go.

If anyone has another experience to pass on, let me know.

23. Member
      Cars
      06-09-2019 04:11 PM #272
      I don't know the price point you're looking at but wow, this is cheap for new OEM.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Aud...kAAOSw~oFXEwNi
      Last edited by dale333; 06-09-2019 at 05:22 PM.

24. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      06-09-2019 06:22 PM #273
      I don't know the price point you're looking at but wow, this is cheap for new OEM.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Aud...kAAOSw~oFXEwNi
      Unfortunately that won't work; the bellhousing side of the case is different so it won't bolt up. In my case, it's very likely that the same portion of the case is all ground up. If that's true, I can't swap over either.

Cars
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      06-10-2019 08:22 AM #274
      Dang man, bummed to hear about the setback. I know it's doubly frustrating when it's something you worked on yourself. Hopefully BFI will be able to determine what happened when they tear it down to remove the diff.

26. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      07-18-2019 11:26 AM #275
      More Carnage!!!!!

So I heard back from BFI, and the (sort of) good news is it seems that I didn't totally botch the transmission install. I messed up, but not with rebuilding / installing the transmission.

What happened is the 1st-2nd shift fork bent, and when BFI tried to shift to neutral and start the car, the bent fork was in the way. See below pic:

From what they can tell at BFI, and the only thing that makes sense to any of us, is that the car was in gear at some point while I was towing it, and with the car shifting around on the trailer, it bent the shift fork, causing catastrophic failure when the car started. The reason we're thinking this is because I was able to shift smoothly and get every gear before I left my house and brought the car down.

Here's some more carnage pics:

The good news is that the reprogramming went well; the car recognizes that it's a manual now and I didn't have to buy an ECU or anything like that.

The diff got shipped off to Peloquin earlier this week for cleanout / rebuild (which is less than the easy route of buying a new one) and I re-ordered shift forks for the new to me transmission. The new transmission is off a 2009 FWD A3 with a little under 60,000 miles. This time I got one with a 6 month warranty, so that will help if something else happens. Fingers crossed.....

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast