Fourtitude.com - Good-bye mustang, hello...(or, how like several others, I might have made a terrible financial mistake)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      07-26-2016 10:20 PM #51
      I really like that interior. Like, I like it more than any other BMW interior in recent memory. The best word I can use to describe it is "honest". Reminds me a bit of the old E30 interior. Simple, easy to use and it will age well.

Excellent write-up and thank you for sharing with us.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      NC Club, IS350F
      07-26-2016 10:25 PM #52
      I test drove an alpine white base E92 w/DCT a few months back. I've wanted one since they were new, but was never ready to pull the trigger. Prices have come down significantly over the last few years. I imagine the prices will go back up in the next few years.

The sound they make is glorious .

Cars
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      07-26-2016 10:28 PM #53
      I had a similar experience going from a Mustang (dreaming about a C63) and then going back to an Evo. If I had the means, I'm sure I would've loved to consider a 911 or M3 as (in general) I tend to prefer the scalpel over the hammer...thanks for sharing your experience, and congrats!
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Cars
      BMW X3
      07-26-2016 11:57 PM #54
      Been away for a bit. Did not realize you picked this up last year.

Great minds think alike... Currently looking at E93 and 997 Cabs.

Question: have you driven the new mustang?

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      07-27-2016 12:16 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      I can't help but notice a lot of 5.0 Mustang guys who took the jump a couple years ago are now trading their cars in.

Congrats! Great upgrade.
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I think a lot of us were impressed with the reviews and the on a test drive, the weaknesses of the car aren't overly apparent. I was totally overwhelmed by the power and sound when I test drove the 5.0. Coming from a 215hp crossfire, the 5.0 was absolutely amazing. And heck, the 5.0 is still a fantastic engine. If I had a Boss I don't know if I would have made the same choice. But yeah, the basic s197 mustang is still a traditional mustang. In the end, I just didn't like the cheap aspect of the cheap speed moniker that the mustang and other pony cars wears. But I'm very happy that I owned the mustang just to experience it. I could be back in a domestic for the next car, in the form of a c6/c7 vette though. I have never owned nor have i spent much time in a SBC. Since I did the pony car thing, I'd like to try out America's sports car.
      To echo some of this, I've had my Mustang for 5 years now and throughout that time I was always teetering on the edge of whether I wanted to keep it for various reasons, namely the way it drives on the street and the cheapness of it. In Canada, GTs are quite pricey and I often wonder where my money went when I have constant suspension issues (rattles, clunks, broken end links, etc.) and an interior that is nice but definitely not premium in any way. The engine is definitely the only thing keeping me hooked to the car right now. The rest of my rant is for another day however.

I've always considered the E92 M3 to be an attainable dream car for me ever since driving a regular E92 many years ago. The car is just so perfect in so many ways, it is difficult to describe. If I weren't so terrified of the maintenance involved with the S65, I would probably swap the Mustang for a clean one tomorrow. Even the E90/93 version.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

7. 07-27-2016 09:00 AM #56
      Nav doesn't make the product premium though. The subtleties of chassis tuning, M-only engine, and quality materials make it premium. OTOH, I can buy an econobox with nav.

Everything works as you think it should in this car. There's few if any, "the car is great except..." instances. It's no chevy SS, but it's still pretty good.
      Oh I'm sure the car drives well. I just think in this day and age, it would be there by default. It's like having a Kim Kardashian with a flat butt. What's up with that...

8. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      07-27-2016 09:03 AM #57
      Goddamn I want one of these. I just can't justify spending the money on one right now. Maybe I'll buy a wrecked one and swap everything into my wagon.

07-27-2016 10:30 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
      Congrats.

It's hard to fathom the decision at the round table of BMW to decide that a top of line product, doesn't have a premium feature such as nav.
      Getting Nav in a car is like outfitting your house with the finest built in flat screen TV. Awesome now, hopelessly out of date in 5 years.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

10. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      07-27-2016 11:14 AM #59
      Getting Nav in a car is like outfitting your house with the finest built in flat screen TV. Awesome now, hopelessly out of date in 5 years.
      The E83 generation X3's were the worst when it came to this. The LCD screen was like 2" thick and looked like a damn gameboy.

With that said, the E90 navigation can be upgraded with an aftermarket wiring adaptor. If you have the older '05 "CCC" iDrive, you can upgrade to the "CIC" which is the '09-14 nav, or the "NBT" nav, which is the '14+.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      07-27-2016 11:20 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      The best word I can use to describe it is "honest". Reminds me a bit of the old E30 interior. Simple, easy to use and it will age well.
      I like this description--the interior isn't at all pretty, but it's also not cheap/chintsy. It doesn't have the wow factor of an Audi or even the current C-class, but when you take note of the design you don't feel disappointed either.

To Ducky---good to see you back around here! I have not driven the current mustang. I don't like the design and it's still a huge car that you sit way down in, which I really disliked in my old car. I really like the size and seating position of the e9x series vehicles. Good luck with the e93/997 cab search. I'd probably go with the 997 in this case, but I'm sure it's fun to go through the process.

Remedy: That's one of the reasons I jumped on this car because BMW allowed for a "poverty spec" version. I believe the current cars are only available with a display screen.

As far as reliability is concerned, it's always a crap shoot with everything. Having said that, the S65 is a pretty robust engine. There are a couple of areas considered weak spots, but at the same time, it's a bit cloudy as to how many cars are destined to have these problems. So I can see people looking at this from the outside being scared to pull the trigger, but my experience thus far is that these cars are very solid--not perfect, but far more stout, for example, than what I see written online about most of the non-M BMW turbo 6 motors. Hopefully with the current gen of turbo 6 motors, BMW has gotten it right.

Cars
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      07-27-2016 04:45 PM #61
      Agree completely. The car itself will forever be worth having, virtually every nav will be out of date quickly.

Purposely found a Z4M without Nav because it looks and operates so poorly.

Cars
      BMW X3
      07-29-2016 12:13 AM #62
      To Ducky---good to see you back around here! I have not driven the current mustang. I don't like the design and it's still a huge car that you sit way down in, which I really disliked in my old car. I really like the size and seating position of the e9x series vehicles. Good luck with the e93/997 cab search. I'd probably go with the 997 in this case, but I'm sure it's fun to go through the process.

Cars
      2012 GTI
      07-29-2016 06:27 AM #63
      Very, very nice upgrade. The M3 is on another planet compared to that mustang.

15. Member
      Cars
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      07-29-2016 07:15 AM #64
      Nice move IMO.

I like the Mustang but the door handles are too thin to use it as a daily.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      07-19-2017 07:40 PM #65
      Well, I suppose it's time for the 2017 update, which marks my second year of e92 M3 ownership. I am now at a little over 41k miles of on and off driving. I tend to notice that this year at least, when I drive the car, it's a distance. I went on several road-trip-ish excursions over the last year (from Philadelphia):
      --Washington DC (x3)
      --Monticello NY
      --Philipsburg PA (yes, same state, but 3 hours each way)

My overall impressions of the car remain the same as they did when I first got the car in 2015. It's an amazingly versatile car. It's great on road trips, it's great around town, it's great at shows, it's good doing driving events. I'd like to move on to something else at some point, but I'm not sure when that will be as the car has been very good to me. Over the last year, I haven't purchased any performance items for the car, just maintenance. Here's what's been done:
      -- New battery; one day the car wouldn't even turn over. Replacing the battery with an AGM from Sears and using the Carly app to program it worked great
      -- Oil change
      -- New undertray (due to my own mistake of not judging a curb properly)
      -- Replacement of spark plugs
      -- Coolant flush ( I did not do this one myself)

Other than this, I haven't had any other problems/issues.

Instead of buying "stuff" for the car, I've done things with it:

September 2016: Radnor Hunt Concours Rally

July 2017 Deutsche Classic car show

July 2017-- Slipstream Racing 1/2 mile event

Do I still recommend the car? Absolutely.

17. Member
      07-19-2017 09:39 PM #66
      Awesome thread! I've been looking for an e90 m3 for a couple months now. Here's hoping I find one soon. I want either AW or interlagos blue.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
      Cars
      07-20-2017 08:46 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by 300_munkeys View Post
      Awesome thread! I've been looking for an e90 m3 for a couple months now. Here's hoping I find one soon. I want either AW or interlagos blue.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
      I think you're definitely making a good choice. Based on my experience, I would have a hard time buying a BMW that's not a M car. Within the BMW lineup, they are spectacular cars.

Cars
      FoRS
      07-20-2017 09:01 AM #68
      When I drove the E92 M3 I loved it, it drove like a sport car with the engine of a muscle car. Depending on how much the warranty costs determines if it's a good buy or not, I was quoted 4k for a 3 year warranty and with that factored into the price it made the car depreciate by an extra 4k over 3 years of ownership, that made me not buy it.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      07-20-2017 09:24 AM #69
      I have a friend with a 2011 E92 with the Competition Package, also in white. His has more options though (red leather, nav) and the DCT. It's an awesome car.

He just had the transmission replaced a few months ago to the tune of $16k. Apparently a Dinan software fix might have resolved the issue he was having with the DCT, but ultimately the CarMax warranty was paying for it.
      iain

21. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      07-20-2017 09:56 AM #70
      Instead of buying "stuff" for the car, I've done things with it:
      Bravo. Other than a set of Bilsteins to replace the OEM shocks after they wear, I think I'd leave an E9x M3 pretty much stock too.

Cars
      1996 Porsche 911, 1988 Porsche 944, 2012 VW GTI
      07-20-2017 09:58 AM #71
      You need to code the car when you put a new battery in? Is that just because the power is disconnected?

Beautiful car... glad you're enjoying it!

Blog Entries
      Cars
      07-20-2017 10:33 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Calcvictim View Post
      When I drove the E92 M3 I loved it, it drove like a sport car with the engine of a muscle car. Depending on how much the warranty costs determines if it's a good buy or not, I was quoted 4k for a 3 year warranty and with that factored into the price it made the car depreciate by an extra 4k over 3 years of ownership, that made me not buy it.
      Personally, I don't think a warranty is completely necessary on this car. I know, it's blasphemy, as everyone "has a friend" who spent $10K+ on repairs to the e9x M3. I had a 2 year warranty "just in case" and I never used it once. Since many people are doing the rod bearings, I would look for one of those cars if you want piece of mind. The other supposed problem area, the throttle actuators isn't a horribly expensive job either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      He just had the transmission replaced a few months ago to the tune of $16k. Apparently a Dinan software fix might have resolved the issue he was having with the DCT, but ultimately the CarMax warranty was paying for it.
      This is definitely a benefit to having a car without the technology. You can just drive it and not worry so much about failures or faults.

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Bravo. Other than a set of Bilsteins to replace the OEM shocks after they wear, I think I'd leave an E9x M3 pretty much stock too.
      Thanks man! This is definitely a car, IMO, where you upgrade when something wears out. I will say that at the 1/2 mile event there was another e92M, but that car was supercharged. 640hp has a nice ring to you it!

Quote Originally Posted by KingUnderpants View Post
      You need to code the car when you put a new battery in? Is that just because the power is disconnected?
      Yes, you do need to code the car. The carly app allows you do that yourself however. Plus, the stock car doesn't have an AGM type battery, which I added to the car, so I also needed to code for that as well. Although the Carly app isn't as polished as a VAG-COM is for VAG cars, it's been very helpful in coding (activating, deactivating, adjusting features) the car, looking at fault codes, and resetting the maintenance reminders.

I will say that I find that this car is fairly easy to work on as well. At least with the maintenance stuff I've done.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      07-20-2017 10:41 AM #73
      I will say that I find that this car is fairly easy to work on as well. At least with the maintenance stuff I've done.
      My buddy updated all the interior lights with LEDs and he said it was a pain in the ass. He had to replace each one in a certain order or the car would freak out thinking bulbs were blown. It was a bunch of trial and error with turning the car off and on, opening/closing doors, etc. Only BMW would find a way to make replacing interior bulbs utterly painful.
      iain

Blog Entries
      Cars
      07-30-2018 09:58 AM #74
      Well, it's been a year since my last update. Where do things stand? Pretty much the same as last year. I haven't done any new adventures with the car, but I would like to do an autocross in it in August or September. There are lots of pics of the car in this thread and it looks the same now, so no new pics to report. Here's what's been purchased in relation to the car over the last year:

-A new set of rear tires (potenza S-04, which match the fronts and came with the car when I bought it)
      -Spare tire kit to accompany the inflate-a-tire gunk that came with the car
      -Foxwell NT510 code reader
      -Maintenance: flush the brake fluid; flush replace the power steering fluid; change the oil (at this point all of the fluids have been replaced at least once since I bought the car)
      -Unscheduled fixes: replaced the plastic trim around the steering wheel as it was peeling; 2 abs/speed sensors (left side, front and rear sensors)

Total mileage: 46,500

Overall, the car has been great. Still love driving it, it's still a perfect balance of performance and reasonable comfort. Still no regrets on getting a car with limited optional equipment.

Cars
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      07-30-2018 10:06 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Only BMW would find a way to make replacing interior bulbs utterly painful.
      Don't let Porsche or MBz read this, they will see it as a challenge.
      signatures are annoying, right?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast