Fourtitude.com - What is it with people on craigslist?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
      Cars
      2018 Civic Type-R
      10-19-2015 02:59 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clarkson View Post
      The saga of trying to sell stock Jeep wheels / tires continues. A man contacts me yesterday, and he's how the next six hours of emails roughly went:
      I typically just ask for a photo of the seller with his penis through a bagel.

Your buyer was simply asking too much.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

10-19-2015 05:21 PM #177
      Texts Between Men: My calculator watch said "80085" for boobs

Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I've sucd di lsks bigger than. You

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      10-19-2015 05:36 PM #178
      The saga of trying to sell stock Jeep wheels / tires continues. A man contacts me yesterday, and he's how the next six hours of emails roughly went:

It's not worth responding to any email that asks you about the "item" the "asset" or any other nondescript response. 99% chance it's a scammer of some sort. If they are real, they will ask you about the wheels.

Cars
      2019 Tacoma OR 6MT
      10-19-2015 05:45 PM #179
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Modded = beat to ****
      Stock = driven by 87 year old grandmother
      Miss Daisy might not do all her own work and rub her car with a diaper, but she also wasn't a flatbrim bro who hoped boosted VTAK would make women jump into the car naked at 50mph.

Cars
      A CUV made by Toyota
      10-19-2015 06:45 PM #180
      Ok, I got one. I recently put a used OEM Catalytic Converter on Craigslist that I had laying around in the garage. This part came off the Audi I got rid of few months ago.

I wanted $75 for it because it was OEM and full of platinum inside.

So, I wait a few days and this one Hispanic guy responds. He says he wants to come and check it OK. I said fine.

He comes in, looks at the part and than tells me some BS that it aluminum inside the converter instead of platinum . He than tells me that it's not OEM part.

I show him the VW/Audi logo on the part and silence. Than that idiot tells me he only can pay me $25 because he drove all the way from downtown Chicago to see it (30 miles away)

I told him to stop waiting my time and went inside. Sold it to metal scrap facility few days later for $80. God, some people...

Cars
      A CUV made by Toyota
      10-19-2015 06:54 PM #181
      Another favorite of mine is 1 owner cars. Seller claims to be the original owner but the car has new plates. You go to see the car and turns out he just car from 1st owner and now reselling for some B.S. reason.

Cars
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      10-19-2015 07:01 PM #182
      I've been looking at used trucks on CL just to have one around. Why are almost all 2004 trucks with 120K miles considered "mint?"

9. Member
      Cars
      84'gti, 14' STI hatchback
      10-19-2015 07:10 PM #183
      I've had the horrible luck selling anything on craigslist. I've bought some good parts, but always end up wasting my time, getting someone to actually show up and flake in person

10. Member
      Cars
      84'gti, 14' STI hatchback
      10-19-2015 07:11 PM #184
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      It's not worth responding to any email that asks you about the "item" the "asset" or any other nondescript response. 99% chance it's a scammer of some sort. If they are real, they will ask you about the wheels.
      sounds like the audi wheels i've had up for sale for nearly forever

11. Member
      Cars
      2018 GTI SE
      10-19-2015 09:53 PM #185
      The most annoying part about Craiglist (aside from the endless deadbeats), are the people who seem to think you owe them money off because they drove a distance. It's my fault you live 2 hours away? I'm supposed to pay for your gas and travel time? Really?!
      Thru My Eyes: Nicholas James Photography | Instagram

Contact me for photos shoots in the Los Angeles/OC area.

P A L E S T A R

10-19-2015 10:39 PM #186
      Quote Originally Posted by rawk View Post
      The most annoying part about Craiglist (aside from the endless deadbeats), are the people who seem to think you owe them money off because they drove a distance. It's my fault you live 2 hours away? I'm supposed to pay for your gas and travel time? Really?!
      Craigslist logic applied to the real world

I know when I go to a brick and mortar store I ALWAYS ask them to pay for the inconvenience of them not running their business out of my home. Sure, I knew where they were prior to deciding I wanted to purchase their wares, but that's still their problem to compensate me for.

Oh, and I also ALWAYS ask them to only sell me the piecemeal things I want at a reduced price. Why should I buy a full item at a listed price when I only want some of it? I'm sure someone else will buy that 0.6 pounds of hamburger I scooped out and left on the shelf in the meat department. My recipe only called for 0.5 pounds, so there's no way I'm buying the full thing. I may be hungry but I'm not a sap.

10-19-2015 11:49 PM #187
      Quote Originally Posted by Brandenkreed View Post
      My biggest pet peeve on craigslist is when people list the item they are selling for 1$ when infact in the article they are asking
      More
      this.

i immediately flag these listings for inappropriate content.

the IQ level on CL never ceases to amaze me.

and if you guys think the car sellers/buyers are bad, head on over to the motorcycle listings. subtract another 30 points off of the overall IQ.

Cars
      RS3
      10-20-2015 12:32 AM #188
      Typically you can scan through most people that are BS/wasting your time. The biggest pet peeve I have is the prank posts. i.e. Car parts for sale to find out that the number listed was put by a friend(s). It would be hilarious if only I wasn't looking for the said part.

I know, CSB.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Cars
      '09 GTI
      10-21-2015 07:56 AM #189
      Quote Originally Posted by reticulan View Post
      this.

i immediately flag these listings for inappropriate content.

the IQ level on CL never ceases to amaze me.

and if you guys think the car sellers/buyers are bad, head on over to the motorcycle listings. subtract another 30 points off of the overall IQ.
      Does flagging actually work? I flag things and see them still around when I move to another computer.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

Cars
      '09 GTI
      10-21-2015 07:58 AM #190
      Quote Originally Posted by rawk View Post
      That's funny since it's the opposite, they drove all that way means they WILL pay your price. Turn it around, "You drove all this way to get this? Well it would be a shame to leave empty handed, wouldn't it?"
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

17. Member
      Cars
      2018 GTI SE
      10-21-2015 08:47 AM #191
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      That's funny since it's the opposite, they drove all that way means they WILL pay your price. Turn it around, "You drove all this way to get this? Well it would be a shame to leave empty handed, wouldn't it?"
      I'm talking about the people who will e-mail you and say 'I'm really interested, but its 2 hours away, so I can't pay your asking price'.
      Thru My Eyes: Nicholas James Photography | Instagram

Contact me for photos shoots in the Los Angeles/OC area.

P A L E S T A R

Cars
      RS3
      10-21-2015 09:19 AM #192
      Yep, never say you're far away ... your trump card gets taken ... and be willing to walk away .

Some negotiate beforehand, and some during and after. If I'm firm at a price, I let them know it. I had a guy try to squeeze last $100 from asking price and I told him no and drove away. 2 mins later he calls me and asks me to come back, he'll buy the car . Firm means firm. I typically price the cars within reason for the age, mileage and condition.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

Cars
      '19 4Runner TRD Offroad, 2012 V-Strom 650 ADV
      10-21-2015 10:03 AM #193
      I've had pretty good experiences selling and buying cars through CL. Sold a lot of phones and car parts through there, too. Believe it or not, I've never had a flake that promised to show up and never did, whether on buying or selling side. I've also never had someone show up with less cash than agreed upon and try to tell me "that's all they have". This is based on at least 30-40 transactions over the years.

I guess I've been super lucky.

Some of the more unusual ones that I remember:

Parts and beers.
      I was selling a set of factory TJ Rubicon wheels that had some almost bald stock tires. Basically, the price was just for the wheels. Guy calls me up, wants the wheels for his wife's Cherokee. He shows up, and it turns out he's someone I've unknowing wheeled with before at Badlands. He pays my asking price and we drink a few beers and talk Jeeps for an hour after that.

I'm not your buddy, pal.
      I was selling some TJ Wrangler parts. I set up a meeting with a guy and he agrees to my asking price. We meet up and this dude won't stop talking about anything and everything. I can't even put a word in telling him I gotta go. He seems like a nice guy, so I don't want to be a complete ass, so I end up trying to look like I care for another 10 minutes. You'd think I've known him for years by how he talked.

XJ story.
      I was looking for a beater XJ to drive in the winter, and found one north of Chicago (I used to live up there). Drove up, came to the dude's house. Him and his uncle (supposedly) are trashed. Completely drunk. They just hand me the keys and tell me to go look at it and test drive it. It's like 5* outside and windy, so I make it quick; truck seems to run well enough for the asking price of $1400. I offer them $800, they take it and I leave. I wonder if they woke up next morning remembering what exactly happened. It was a good truck, too. Rusty, but mechanically solid.

20. Member
      Cars
      '83 Caddy 16V, '87 Cabby 2L, '09 Jetta 2.0T, '66 Suburban 4WD, '57 Austin Healey V8, '04 Dodge Ram
      10-21-2015 12:12 PM #194
      Does flagging actually work? I flag things and see them still around when I move to another computer.
      Flagging works but it requires more than one flag from more than one user. Makes sense. Would you want a single guy to keep flagging your post because you won't drop your price?

Overall my experiences have been neutral or positive with Craig's List. Keep in mind IT'S FREE!! So you waste a little time. At least you're not paying to waste your time.
      Classified forum rules require that you post a price. If you don't know what to ask, they suggest that you search past FS threads.

So, when your item sells, please don't edit out your price and description when you mark it "SOLD". Rather, edit to show selling price.

Cars
      A gaggle of wagons, a sedan, a V8 Monster, and now a 'vert too!
      10-21-2015 12:53 PM #195
      I've come to understand that as a seller, your price determines the amount of BS that occurs.

Priced too high
      You'll get one or two "will you take 50% less" offers. You will also get some people that think your 15 year old car functions as it did when new. Ex. paint separation on the pinch-welds. How do you think you raise the car without touching the underside at the tire place?!? Ultimately, if you want to get market value, you better be prepared to sit on an item for some time. Eventually someone will show up that is reasonable.

Priced too low
      Now the item gets into the "I can't believe the deal" territory, and all the wheeler dealer types come out. But they work 5 jobs, have kids, dogs, elderly neighbors, and general life that gets in the way. They were probably cruising CL at work, and couldn't believe their eyes. I always warn people that the first person that shows me cash gets the deal. Each and every time I've "held" something for someone promising to come in 3 days I've not heard from them again, and those that want to come right away have moved on..

22. 10-21-2015 01:29 PM #196
      Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post
      I typically just ask for a photo of the seller with his penis through a bagel.
      Sig'd

10-21-2015 01:35 PM #197
      Quote Originally Posted by nanARR View Post
      Sig'd
      It seems not

Cars
      '16 Mercedes AMG C63 S, '18 Audi Q5, '11 Suzuki Equator
      10-21-2015 03:08 PM #198
      Quote Originally Posted by SCHWAB0 View Post
      I've sold cars, tires, wheels, electronics etc etc and its always worked the same except couple of months ago where a couple bought the car I was selling for full asking price, my jaw went . Not once did they argue price, if they would have said well this or that, I'd drop it by $500 easy.
      I too was shocked when I sold my '13 S6 through CL. I wasn't even going to bother putting it on there; I had listed it on AutoTrader and all the enthusiast sites. Had it listed high, as I didn't NEED to sell it. Ended up putting it on CL for fun. Got an email about a week after I listed it; guys says he wants to come check out the car. He shows up with a buddy; he's a younger guy but dressed reasonably well and arrives in a slightly older Range Rover. They take the car for a test drive, are gone 15 mins, he comes back and says "I'll take it". No negotiating, no BS, gives me a deposit that day, comes back a week later with the rest of the money and picks up the car.

I use CL more for getting rid of crap for free; there's nothing you have that you want gone that SOMEONE won't take for free. I also no longer will hold anything for anyone; it goes to the end of the driveway and I delete the ad when it's gone.

Actually had a sort of pleasant-but-strange CL encounter last weekend. Back story: I put in this ~3000 ft^2 rock garden in my front yard this summer. A portion of it is under 5-6 large oak trees. The oaks had been raining down acorns pretty well this fall, and I didn't want them rooting in the garden so I bought this $40 gizmo off Amazon to pick them up. But now I've got three 5-gallon buckets of acorns. Just for fun, I check CL, and sure enough there's a guy with an ad in the "Wanted" section looking for acorns. He's even willing to pay $0.25/lb! Turns out he has seven pigs and he feeds them the acorns. He showed up with a way more high-tech acorn picker-upper contraption ($700!). Nice younger guy, we talked for about twenty minutes, and I got an education on pigs, oak trees and their "masting" cycles. I gave him the acorns for free, and he promised to come back twice more this year and pick up more acorns for me as they fall.
      SOLD '14 Scuba Blue Audi Q5, '12 Mars Red MB C63 AMG, '15 Lapiz Blue VW Golf R, '13 Sepang Blue Audi S6, '11 Sprint Blue Audi S4, '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i, '04 Deep Blue Pearl VW R32

Cars
      2004 Volvo S60R
      10-21-2015 03:33 PM #199
      Quote Originally Posted by xo_vw View Post
      Sounds like typical Craigslist bs to me... I've had the same experience but have no other location to compare it to.

Surprisingly, a bicycle I listed sold to the first buyer for the full asking price- that was a first for me.
      Hipsters always pay full price.
      Never run out of real estate, traction, and ideas at the same time

l
      2004 Volvo S60R- Current l 1999 BMW M3 5.0- Sold l 2008 Mitubishi Evolution GSR- Sold l 2006 CBR 600rr - Sold l 2001 Ducati 748 Biposto - Sold l 1993 MR2 Turbo - Sold l 2006 Buell XB12 SCG - Sold l 1991 Jetta GLI VR6 - Sold l 1991 Volkswagen Corrado G60 - Sold l

Cars
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      10-21-2015 03:47 PM #200
      Just used CL again to get rid of the spare trans and Holley carb from my kid's truck project. Wanted $100 from the trans so I put it up for $200, and wanted $50 for the carb, so I put it up for $100. Within a day had both sold for full asking. Which probably means they were priced too low, but I got more than I wanted for them, so I'm happy.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast