Nice work

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      00 AP1 - 03 SVTF - 04 RSV100R - 03 ZX6RR
      07-22-2015 03:07 PM #27
      Bumping this.

Because I believe in rescuing cars from neglectful owners.
      And because being self sufficient is awesome.
      And because if we all stayed away from believed TCL nightmares, none of us would drive anything. Only Miatas.

And finally, because I really want to get back into an AWD wagon. I've been kicking around the idea of a non-turbo Forester (or Prius) to replace my SVT Focus very soon BUT I'd really prefer something nice, quiet - a little less agricultural, if you will. I want something that doesn't rattle and won't wear me out when I have my 200 mile sales call days.

I don't want a turbo Surbaru. Good with that.
      I KNOW I don't want a 2.7tt unless it's in a B5 S4, which will then make the headache worth it.

Would one of these with the 3.2 be worthwhile/somewhat reliable? Or should I look elsewhere generation/range wise?

I understand the possible carbon downfalls of direct injection and also do my own work for the most part.

Sorry to try to derail the thread....I'd just like to know more. Fantastic work so far.

07-22-2015 03:37 PM #28
      The title of the thread is both a carry over form my old "reliable transportation Corrado" thread, and a joke based on the fact that things like this (and the Corrado) don't always have the best reputation when it comes to reliability. In the case of my old Corrado and this A6, neither car was neglected - in fact just the opposite, both had extensive maintenance records.

The 3.2 isnt the hot engine for the A6, and to me that's a good thing when it comes to "reliable transportation". Like the VR6 in the Corrado the 3.2 engine is common to multiple vehicles in the VAG fleet across multiple years. This is a bonus to me because it shows robustness against a large range of applications and thus driving styles (start/stop, city, highway, full load, light load, ect.). Further (at least I hope) that makes parts more readily available.

With regard to the carbon build up, the 3.2 in my A6 has made it >100k miles with out leaving the PO stranded. So if it's accumulated some carbon on the intake valves and it begins to cause problems for me, the worst case scenario is I have to remove the intake manifold and clean the valves a bit for another 100k miles of carbon build up before it becomes a problem again. I had the throttle body off over the weekend and removing the intake didnt look bad at all.

The more expensive, more worrisome failure (for me anyway) is timing chain guide wear. When purchasing this one I made a point to listen to the chains. Having not heard any tell tell chain noise, i'll continue to follow the PO's 5k oil change regimen and hope for the best.

Would one of these with the 3.2 be worthwhile/somewhat reliable? Time will tell. It's made it to 114k relatively problem free so far.
      Last edited by corrado-correr; 07-22-2015 at 03:41 PM.

5. Banned
      Cars
      99 Passat 1.8Tm, 04 Passat 1.8Tm
      07-22-2015 04:22 PM #29
      ...timing chain guide wear....
      You should be good until ~150K...that's about the point my B4 VR6 started making expensive noises (chain guide pad had shattered) at the back side of the engine.

Cars
      2014 Wrangler, 2018 RX350
      07-22-2015 04:26 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      Then I spent a good amount of time cleaning the engine bay (form the looks of it it had never been cleaned in all of its 114k miles. I also did a little more headlight polishing.

Curious, how do you go about doing that? I've always liked a clean engine bay, but doesn't it require a steam cleaner, or some heavy duty elbow grease to do it at home?
      Current:
      2003 BMW M3, 2017 Nissan Rogue, 2018 Lexus RX350.
      Past:
      1990 Mazda Miata, 1998 Land Rover Discovery, 2002 Chevrolet Blazer ZR2, 2013 VW GLI, 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition.

Cars
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      07-22-2015 10:53 PM #31
      Carbon buildup seems to be the only bad thing people say about the C6 3.2. It was a strong contender when I was looking for a car 3 years ago, but Avants don't come around that often and I found a B6 Passat 3.6 4motion wagon that I couldn't pass up. If you're looking for affordable and relatively reliable C-segment German cars, this should be on the top of your list.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 745GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

8. Banned
      Cars
      German/American/Italian
      07-22-2015 11:07 PM #32
      Nice one!

Next task: get rid of those ugly side markers.

07-22-2015 11:25 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
      Curious, how do you go about doing that? I've always liked a clean engine bay, but doesn't it require a steam cleaner, or some heavy duty elbow grease to do it at home?

honestly i thought the same thing, you should see what the dealerships do. we use the wheel corrosive cleaner spray down the engine bay, then pressure wash the whole thing.
      Current Cars: 2018 BMW///M3 6 Speed Manual Yas Marina Blue over Sakhir Orange Leather | 2017 Volvo S90 Inscription T6 AWD | 2004 Infiniti FX35
      Previous Cars: 2016 GLI DSG SEL | 2015 Touareg Lux TDI | 2014 GLI 6 Speed Manual Autobahn | 2012 Odyssey EX-L | 2010 Outback 6 Speed Manual | 2008 VW GTI 6 Speed Manual | 2008 BMW 328xi 6 Speed Manual | 2007 VW Rabbit 5 Speed Manual | 2001 Honda Accord

10. Banned
      Cars
      German/American/Italian
      07-22-2015 11:40 PM #34
      1. Cover all electrical connections with plastic bags and tighten them. If in doubt, cover anyway.
      2. Give it a good rinse with a hose (not pressure-washer).
      3. Clean up all crevices from leaves and heavy dirt.
      4. Spray everything (including under the bonnet cover) with a water-based degreaser. I use Autoglym's "Engine and Machine Cleaner" but any would do.
      5. Leave it for 5-10 minutes.
      6. Use a brush and give the entire bay a good scrub.
      7. Leave it for 5-10 minutes.
      8. Use either a pressure-washer (set it on medium to low) or standard hose and rinse the entire bay, including the bonnet cover. Try not to point the spray onto alternator or any other bits which you're not too sure about.
      9. Use a vinyl and rubber care product and spray it all over the engine bay for a nice shine. Either leave it as is or leave for a couple of minutes, then wipe it. Again, I use Autoglym because it works for me and I can't be arsed trying other brands.

07-23-2015 11:02 AM #35
      I removed all the engine covers and just spot cleaned everything I could access easily with a microfiber towel and either Simple Green and/or Mothers VLR (I really like the Mothers VLR in general, good stuff, works well, not to harsh). I finished the plastics off with an interior protectant also made by Mothers. This is perhaps a more time consuming method and certainly not as thorough as the procedure J-Tim mentioned, but maybe i'm a ***** about it but i dont like spraying water on/in the engine bay.

07-23-2015 11:04 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Next task: get rid of those ugly side markers.
      I love orange side markers, so they're staying.

Next task: diagnose/repair drivers lumbar support.

13. Member
      Cars
      '09 335d
      07-23-2015 11:09 AM #37
      Always liked these cars, I've got my eye open for an Avant with the 3.0T.. Rare find however.

14. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      07-23-2015 11:12 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      Funny you should say that. The exact same thing happened to my S8
      Same thing happened to my A4 Avant although I noticed mine was missing when I started smelling burning plastic. Turns out it fell off down onto something hot and started smoking. Lamest engine problem ever.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 Tiguan
      07-23-2015 11:19 AM #39
      In. These cars are cheap and plentiful in my area.

Cars
      Mk2 Six Shooter, Mk6 Drivers Edition
      07-23-2015 11:51 AM #40
      The early 3.2 in the C5 Audi is notorious for timing chain/tensioner/guide issues. And by issues, I mean failure.

Cars
      2012 AWD Nissan Rogue (again, you dumb ass!)
      07-23-2015 12:00 PM #41
      amazing.
      Hows the suspension rubber? bushings and all that?
      Satan´s nopemares...

09-21-2015 09:40 PM #42
      Because I have an early build 2005 C6 A6 the MMI software is a bit older than the typical C6 A6. This means hands free calling only works using some wacky cellphone cradle/docking station built in to the armrest, and no Bluetooth music streaming. Turns out all of this is up-gradable to modern tech-interface-standards with an MMI software update. The process of which can be summed up as:

-Burn some bootleg .iso cd's.
      -insert the cd's into the cd player.
      -run the sw updates.
      -?
      -profit.

It's all expertly documented here: http://a6retrofit.com/ami-retrofit-a...sic-interface/.

I'm able to update the Bluetooth using "CD1" so that hands free calling now works through Bluetooth. Its great, really great. Moving to "CD2" i'm less lucky, I get the following error:

2015-09-21_08-48-42 by Raven, on Flickr

A few days of internetsing later I stumbled across the following TSD http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/MMI/MMI%2...0procedure.pdf that explains my problem - early production vehicles need an interim upgrade before performing the standard update. Enter Zug. So now I find that "Zug 317" (unobtainium?) is required to go from 0750 to 1070 before loading "Zug 864" (readily available) which ultimately gets the software level at 4610.

Anyone got a hook up on "Zug 317"?
      Last edited by corrado-correr; 09-21-2015 at 09:52 PM.

10-21-2015 02:24 PM #43
      I love a bit of standard maintenance. Odometer is currently at 116k. I did plugs, 5w 40 pentosin synthetic, oil filter, and an air filter.

Since I've had the car the first start of the day has always required extended cranking time before the engine will kick over. I noticed that if I key on for some time before starting the crank time is reduced but still abnormally long. Hot re-start is great, no problems. I thought I might throw a new fuel filter at it just in case, and sure enough the long cranking times are completely resolved. Success!

It's worth mentioning the Audi quick connect fittings at the fuel filter were a delight to work with. Never before have I replaced a fuel filter with such ease. He's a picture of the old filter.

I've been running with the DRL's disabled. I dislike the standard dim yellow DRL's, but with winter coming and Michigan weather turning grey I had the idea that replacing the DRL bulb with an LED bulb might look sweet. This turned into a bit more work than I thought it would be. Despite the 1156 bulb being sold as CANbus-error-free it still needs a resistor, without the resistor it does the whole hyper flash thing. So here's what the bulb looks like and the resistor:

The whole air box needs to come out to access the back of the headlight assembly on the right side. Also, I picked up a variety pack of beers from the Alaskan brewery and I have to say it's not nearly as good as years past. Also the included pumpkin ale was disgusting (like throw up in my mouth, rinse with soap disgusting). Do not recommend.

Of course the tabs were busted on the rear cover. So I had to order a new one. Spendy, but at least it was available separate form the entire headlight assembly.

The resistors get hot to the touch when the lights are on. So even though they’d fit just fine, you don’t want to just stuff them inside the headlight housing. I found a nice place on the headlight assembly next to the HID ballast for a bracket to hold the resistor pack. Step one to any good bracket is to build a CAD (cardboard aided design) model.

I traced the CAD model out onto a bit of aluminum stock that I picked up from the local hardware store. And then cut/bent/drilled them in the vice.

The resistor pack will be pop riveted on to the bracket and the bracket will mount to the headlight assembly using a push type plastic fender liner fastener. Here’s what they look like before a coat of flat black paint.

And installed – I’m stoked at how well they turned out.

Finally, here’s some pictures of before/during/after/on/off of the light bulbs.

Last edited by corrado-correr; 10-21-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Cars
      '19 WRX
      10-21-2015 03:29 PM #44
      Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.
      SHIFT

Cars
      81 caddy VNT MTDI 02a.
      10-21-2015 03:46 PM #45
      hey lets not throw around the word reliable....

for the long cranking those are notorious for crank position sensors failing.
      also because where the coolant bottle is and how tight the back of the motor is to work on, the wires can get chaffed for the crank sensor.

I had a customer who had one that when it turned 140,000 miles he tried to go 140mph when it ticked over.
      stretched the timing chains and totaled the car.
      Last edited by fastinradford; 10-21-2015 at 03:49 PM.
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

11-01-2015 04:41 PM #46

2015-11-01_03-12-23 by Raven, on Flickr

H&R rear sway bar installed.

There's a very noticeable difference. It's so much better. I set it to the stiffest setting and I'm glad I did. On throttle oversteer and overall much less body roll.

Cars
      16' GTI
      11-01-2015 05:13 PM #47
      In for updates! Enjoyed reading your Corrado thread.

There's quite a few of these for sale locally, some with high-ish kms for dirt cheap.
      Past: 94 Jetta, 89 Accord (beater), 97 Jetta GT, 91 Mazda 626 (beater), 02 Audi A4, 07 Civic (commuter), 06 BMW 330i, 12 GTI, 96 Ls1 Swapped E36, 2013 MT Focus

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      11-01-2015 06:20 PM #48
      Threads like these make me feel like a lazy ******* that has to deal with appliances in order to have something reliable. This is my favourite gen of A6.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Cars
      2007 Acura TSX 6MT 2002 Honda CRV 5MT
      11-01-2015 07:13 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by MXTHOR3 View Post
      Always liked these cars, I've got my eye open for an Avant with the 3.0T.. Rare find however.
      My folks bought a CPO model which held up fine until almost a year after the CPO expired, then it started burning a good amount of oil. The car had about 120,000 km on the odometer

It is a shame because aside from the oil consumption issue it was a brilliant car. No CELs during ownership or unscheduled services. Great in the snow, really practical (A German Shepherd will love the back in an Avant) and plenty fast. Even in Prestige trim the handling was not too bad for a porky, AWD station wagon with the engine hanging out the front.

The "oil consumption procedure" that the dealer performed did not help much and IIRC the car would have needed new pistons and rings. An independent mechanic confirmed the engine would need a partial rebuild (I cannot remember exactly what was stated) so they traded it in for an A7 TDI.

11-02-2015 09:02 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Threads like these make me feel like a lazy ******* that has to deal with appliances in order to have something reliable. This is my favourite gen of A6.
      thanks. this A6 is definitely growing on me, it's not as boring of a luxo-barge as a thought it was going to be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast