Fourtitude.com - The first TCL Electric Vehicle Registry!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast
      Cars
      Audi e-Tron, BMW X3, and a Toyota appiiance
      08-19-2019 03:12 PM #451
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Scrolled through most of the thread.

Am I the only one here with a Prius Prime? I'm averaging over 2300mpg with it so far. Leased one for my commute. Promptly remove the Ecopias for 17" Firestone Indy 500's and got the windows tinted.

I think you might be the only one in TCL. I think it's due to the fact that most TCLers have regular prius without the plug. I see tons of Prii in my area, but prius prime is rare indeed. Hope to see more Prius Prime in TCL as I think they loooooooook 100X better than regular prius.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-19-2019 10:06 PM #452
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      Thanks!

Seeing a bunch of people get into new or new to them EVs got me the itch again. You and Wimbledon were two of them that really put me over the edge and to start looking more.
      Welcome back! Ironically, you were one of the people who put me over the edge into my fantastic Electric Orange Fiat 500e! That said, I am really surprised that you went into an eGolf after the Fiat, as the Golf seems so much less interesting in comparison. The soul and playfulness of the 500e is what pulled me out of my Focus ST, and after 3 months, I am still really enjoying it. My whacky Orange Crush bring as many smiles as a puppy, and it continues to far exceed my range and efficiency expectations, returning a lifetime average of 5.1 miles per kWhr.

Good luck with the new car! I plan to continue driving mine for a while, as I consider it to be a gateway drug to an eventual Model 3.
      2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology
      2016 Fiat 500e, Electric Orange Tri-Coat Pearl/Black - I live life 84 miles at a time!

Cars
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      08-20-2019 10:08 AM #453
      Quote Originally Posted by daSchtick View Post
      Welcome back! Ironically, you were one of the people who put me over the edge into my fantastic Electric Orange Fiat 500e! That said, I am really surprised that you went into an eGolf after the Fiat, as the Golf seems so much less interesting in comparison. The soul and playfulness of the 500e is what pulled me out of my Focus ST, and after 3 months, I am still really enjoying it. My whacky Orange Crush bring as many smiles as a puppy, and it continues to far exceed my range and efficiency expectations, returning a lifetime average of 5.1 miles per kWhr.

Good luck with the new car! I plan to continue driving mine for a while, as I consider it to be a gateway drug to an eventual Model 3.
      It was a tough call but there just wasn't the right deal semi close to me. We were even considering buying one up in Seattle and towing it down but they just wouldn't come down to a price that we liked. I admit that the eGolf isn't as playful as the Fiat but I'm hoping that some simple changes will bring that back up (wheels and suspension).

I have the exact same feeling as well. This is the gateway to a Model 3 or another longer range/quicker EV.

Cars
      Miata RF, JKU, Cabriolet
      10-31-2019 10:35 AM #454
      Lots of off lease EVs have been showing up for sale here in WA and they have me intrigued. My wife spends about $250/mo on gas primarily commuting, so a used EV can pay for itself fairly quickly.

My wife LOVES the 500 and we've been looking at getting a 500E as a commuter for her. Haven't driven one yet, but we have driven the gas counterparts.

It seems like there are a lot of 500E owners in here, want to get some real world experience.

Her commute is about 65 miles roundtrip, mostly non-interstate highway at speeds of 50-60 mph, with a drive though town. No crazy elevation changes, but there are some good hills.
      From what I have been reading prolonged highway driving is not this car's forte and you can see some serious range reduction doing that.

Should we be looking into something with more range, or would a 500E be livable, assuming we charge it nightly?
      Last edited by Volkl; 10-31-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      10-31-2019 10:51 AM #455
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post

Should we be looking into something with more range, or would a 500E be livable, assuming we charge it nightly?
      I'd create a new thread for this convo. But even as an EV lover, I'd be a little weary of doing 65 miles on an 84 mile range car when winter comes. You might be cutting it a little close. Exciting drives home I'm sure. 500e is a great machine especially as it's so cheap but maybe i'd test drive a cheap i3 with the REX. Prob close to double the price though...
      Slow Car Fast

7. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and an mg
      10-31-2019 11:08 AM #456
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      I'd create a new thread for this convo. But even as an EV lover, I'd be a little weary of doing 65 miles on an 84 mile range car when winter comes. You might be cutting it a little close. Exciting drives home I'm sure. 500e is a great machine especially as it's so cheap but maybe i'd test drive a cheap i3 with the REX. Prob close to double the price though...
      i think it can be done
      our commute when we lived in OR was ~62-64 miles depending on the route. we managed with the spark, and the majority of that commute was on 40-50mph county highways. it wouldnt have worked if you were trying to keep up with freeway traffic - though folks on that road often drove 70 but you just had to have the self control to stay in the right lane and keep it slower, cruise control helped

charging on level 2 is obviously a must in this case since you come home nearly empty every day. youll also probably be pretty sensitive to battery degradation operating that close to the limit of the car, but again its totally doable. just requires a little more care and attention while youre driving.

Cars
      Miata RF, JKU, Cabriolet
      10-31-2019 11:26 AM #457
      She hates the i3, purely from a cosmetic standpoint. I personally like them, but since this would be her commuter appliance, "cuteness" can take priority.

Is winter that big of an issue? The climate here is fairly mild, it rarely gets below freezing. I thought it was the brutal cold that causes issues. Furthermore, we would be able to keep this transportation pod in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      i think it can be done
      our commute when we lived in OR was ~62-64 miles depending on the route. we managed with the spark, and the majority of that commute was on 40-50mph county highways. it wouldnt have worked if you were trying to keep up with freeway traffic - though folks on that road often drove 70 but you just had to have the self control to stay in the right lane and keep it slower, cruise control helped

charging on level 2 is obviously a must in this case since you come home nearly empty every day. youll also probably be pretty sensitive to battery degradation operating that close to the limit of the car, but again its totally doable. just requires a little more care and attention while youre driving.
      Thanks for the input. Your old commute sounds fairly similar to my wife's commute, though the first 20 miles of hers are on 60mph 4 lane highway, and based on the speeding tickets she's gotten in the past, keeping it at the limit might be a problem for her. From what I've read 65mph is the magic number, at least for the 500E.

9. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and an mg
      10-31-2019 11:30 AM #458

Is winter that big of an issue? The climate here is fairly mild, it rarely gets below freezing. I thought it was the brutal cold that causes issues. Furthermore, we would be able to keep this transportation pod in the garage.
      pnw winters are tough because of the increased drag due to rain/wet roads. its a big hit, and youll notice.
      add on top of that the extra power consumed by your a/c and defrost to keep the windows clear and it adds up.
      youre unlikely to use any power conditioning the batteries though even around 30F

Thanks for the input. Your old commute sounds fairly similar to my wife's commute, though the first 20 miles of hers are on 60mph 4 lane highway, and based on the speeding tickets she's gotten in the past, keeping it at the limit might be a problem for her. From what I've read 65mph is the magic number, at least for the 500E.
      the spark really fell off on range if you were above ~55
      eidt - and if shes prone to speeding, expect there to be more than several occasions when she calls and says the car is showing 5 miles remaining, but shes 15 miles from home
      are there charging stations on the route? you may need to plan for that situation...
      the spark wasnt my primary driver the last couple years of the lease, and she did have to stop off at fred meyer and charge more than a few times if the rain was bad enough.
      Last edited by ValveCoverGasket; 10-31-2019 at 11:34 AM.

10. 10-31-2019 11:37 AM #459
      Any cabin heating tends to drop range a decent amount, and combining that with say ~5% battery degradation (don't know how the 500e's hold up there)... 65 miles on a 84 mile original range (about 80 with degradation) would be a little iffy to me unless there is a charging solution at work. Something with a 100 or more mile range is what I'd look for. Like a 2017/18 Focus electric, newer Leaf that hasn't degraded much, Soul EV, etc.

Cars
      10-31-2019 11:43 AM #460
      My wife had a 2015 500e that she used to commute to school and back. It was about 50 miles one way of nearly all freeway (55-65) and she would charge at school. I would be very hesitant to do 65 miles round trip in the winter. Even if you aren't using the heater for the cabin the car may use battery power to heat the battery. Once you get below ~50F that's when you notice the range take a hit.

I'll give one extreme example that my wife told me about. One winter morning it was in the upper 30's and pouring buckets outside. There was standing water everywhere on the freeway so drag on the tires was pretty bad. Also with the cold rain the AC and heat had to be used to keep the windows clear. For that 50 mile run she made it with 8 miles left of range.

As much as I loved our 500e I wouldn't want to go over ~50 miles round trip on my daily commute. That gives a little buffer for any errands after work or some nasty weather. If she can charge at work then I say go for it! It's such a fun car to drive.

Cars
      Miata RF, JKU, Cabriolet
      10-31-2019 11:45 AM #461
      Thanks for the input, started a new thread as suggested, so as to not clog up this one.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ience-re-range

Cars
      10-31-2019 12:16 PM #462
      I figure I'll update what I've done thus far with my eGolf. It doesn't really warrant it's own thread as I don't plan to do too much more.

First up are the wheels. I'm not a fan of the stock aero wheels. They are very efficient but I only have a 40 mile commute so I can afford to lose some range to get some better looks and handling. Randomly a friend of mine posted up these GTI wheels for sale so I snatched them up. I lost about 8-10% in range as they are heavier, wider, and beat up the air like crazy. They look much better though, IMO. Now with the cooler weather and the non-aero wheels I get around 3.0 miles/kwh and I was getting around 5.0 miles/kwh before.

New wheels by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

Next up was to make the body a little less bland. Our 500e had a fun sticker package so I decided to go with something along those lines but not as orange. So black stickers off of amazon fit the bill. I like the look but my installation wasn't great. A few bubbles and a crease or two in there. It looks good from ~10ft away. I plan to have the roof wrapped black so I may have the shop also redo those low ones. I think they get me back 5% efficiency or a couple hp.

Failed steering wheel cover. by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

Lastly was a failure. I wanted to cover the steering wheel with a leather cover. They sell covers that you stitch yourself over your steering wheel. I bought a black perforated leather kit with blue stitching to match the seats and shifter boot. One of the steps is you have to tuck the leather under the trim where the wheel meets the spokes. I assumed (first failure) that VW used the same steering wheel for the SE and the SEL but the SEL got all of the buttons and stuff. I was wrong and it turns out the base steering wheel is a single molded plastic piece so there's no trim to tuck the leather under. I tried to cut a little slit under where the trim normally would be (second failure) and that wasn't happening. The fix will be to get a used steering wheel that has buttons and wrap that one. It looks like GTI steering wheels with a manual trans (no paddles) can be had for ~$150 so I may go that route sometime down the road.

Failed steering wheel cover. by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      10-31-2019 12:41 PM #463
      Today marks 4 years from when we picked up our then brand-new 2016 VW e-Golf SE in Urano Grey. Got the "cheap" lease VW Credit was running on them at the time plus the $1000 current VW owner "sorry about dieselgate" money. Then got a $3000 check from the state! When the lease was up last year, there were no new e-Golfs around to replace it and we couldn't think of anything else we'd rather drive for the money, so we bought it out.

It's been a great car and perfect for our needs. Both my wife and I really like driving it. We both work M-F 8-5 jobs, so everyday it takes one parent and two kids to school and work. It's been great for weekend errands as well. I installed a 220V charger at home and I can get 110V at work, so I think I can count on one hand the times it's been on a public charger.

It's got ~39k trouble-free miles on it. I replaced the factory tires before last winter as they were downright scary in the wet. Those Bridgestone Ecopia tires were TERRIBLE!!!! They wore out fast, had poor grip and are expensive! I put Generals on instead. I replaced the wiper blades too. It picked up a few nails in tires, which made me miss a spare. I was able to limp it home so I never had to use the fix-a-flat kit. The only complaint is the cloth interior stains like crazy. Just getting into it after being rained on discolors the seats.

That brings me to the present day where I am in the midst of my first real issue - getting it serviced. When I bought it, our local dealer had sales people, service writers, and techs certified for e-Golfs. They didn't have any in stock at the time, so we bought this one on the other side of town. I was able to take it to my local dealer for the 10k service. I went back there last week and they no longer have anyone who can deal with e-Golfs. So now I need to call around and see who can service it. Hopefully they're within 40 miles of my house!

It does seem like the range has dropped off a bit. We never drive it the same route or charge it with any regularity, so it's kind of hard to judge. The battery warranty is for 8 years, so I'm halfway there. My oldest can start driving in 3 years and I'd love to give it to her.

EV living has been a successful experiment for us. But still, when our 2015 Accord met an untimely death earlier this year, we didn't replace it with another electric or even plug-in. We went with a regular hybrid instead. It still came down to a cost play for us.

12-04-2019 06:32 PM #464
      We recently picked up a 2019 Bolt due in large part to hefty rebates/incentives and a small, but not insignificant tax credit of $1875.

So far we are pleased with it, although the real world range is far less than our Kona. I think I might be only the second poster on here with 3 EVs and possibly the only one without at least 1 Tesla: 2017 Soul EV, 2019 Kona Electric, 2019 Bolt EV

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      Last edited by BLK9GEN; 12-05-2019 at 10:30 AM.
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

16. 01-11-2020 06:55 PM #465
      When my son was negotiating the purchase of his new Bolt Premier 2 weeks ago, I told the salesman we work with that I would buy an LT model they had in stock if they could do $20k before fees and taxes. Car had a $40k MSRP so I figured 50% was a good discount on a 2019 with less than 3000 miles. The dealer couldn’t go that low. We were $800 apart.

Well I had the chance to text the sales manager last night because of an issue with a sticker on my son’s car that was needed for CA registration. At the end of our texts, I dropped a mention of the deal we weren’t able to conclude. He said he would look at it again today.

Well the exact one I was after was sold so I asked about a couple of others. He still couldn’t get to the $20k but was able to kick up another $300 on a deal. In the meantime, I went through KBB for an offer on our 2017 Escape so I knew what I should get for it.

So we drove over to the dealer this afternoon. After a bit more negotiation on the trade in price, we pulled the trigger on this, 2019 Bolt LT, with DC fast charging, comfort and convenience package, driver confidence package 1 & 2. Color is slate gray metallic but there doesn’t seem to be any metallic in the paint to my eye.

Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Cars
      01-11-2020 08:22 PM #466
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      we pulled the trigger on this, 2019 Bolt LT, with DC fast charging, comfort and convenience package, driver confidence package 1 & 2.
      GTFO. spockat buys an EV? A full BEV???? Unbelievable. I'm stunned. Hell has frozen over, Bernie Sanders will be the next president, and it's 60 degrees in Vermont early January. Oh wait.....
      Slow Car Fast

Cars
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      01-11-2020 10:00 PM #467
      So we drove over to the dealer this afternoon. After a bit more negotiation on the trade in price, we pulled the trigger on this, 2019 Bolt LT, with DC fast charging, comfort and convenience package, driver confidence package 1 & 2. Color is slate gray metallic but there doesn’t seem to be any metallic in the paint to my eye.
      Congrats! Looks great!

I've not driven a Bolt, but I rather like the way they look, and that's a great color.
      Supercar owners: If your housekeeper can afford to register their car in your state, so can you.
      We've got an amazing country; don't like the taxes in your state, you can just move. How many other countries have this freedom?

19. 01-11-2020 10:37 PM #468
      GTFO. spockat buys an EV? A full BEV???? Unbelievable. I'm stunned. Hell has frozen over, Bernie Sanders will be the next president, and it's 60 degrees in Vermont early January. Oh wait.....
      Hey, I don't hate EVs. I'm just not a Tesla fanboi/cultist. And for the price, how can I so no? Show me another 240 mile 2019 EV that is available for $21k. Now I am going to have to drop in a 240 plug in my garage and get a level 2 charger.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Congrats! Looks great!

I've not driven a Bolt, but I rather like the way they look, and that's a great color.
      Thanks. It is a nice driving car. Reasonably quick (I think they state 0-60 is 6.5 seconds). Very quiet. And my wife likes the size compared to the Escape. The option to one pedal drive around town is nice.

After my son bought his down here and shipped it back to Nor Cal, I couldn't let him have all the fun.

Last edited by spockcat; 01-11-2020 at 10:39 PM.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      01-12-2020 12:47 PM #469
      Ooooh, I like both those colors, but your son got the better blue IMO.

I have two co-workers now with Bolts. One bought new, the other used. They both commute ~70-80 miles one way to work, and are doing basically 100% of their charging using the units provided by the office.

One of them has now been involved in three rear-end collisions on his, he's described it as his "silent little tank" for how well it's held up to being hit repeatedly.

I offered to hook him up with an Exorcist, because clearly his commute is cursed for him to be rear-ended three times in two years.

Edit: forgot the other has played deer-slayer with his, he's currently rocking some gorilla tape holding a headlight in place. The local dealership is dragging their feet on ordering parts for it since they ordered the incorrect parts the first time (his doesn't have some of the forward facing sensors, they ordered and billed the more expensive part but there are fitment differences? At least that's my understanding) but he's still enjoying it, getting decent range. He came from a Fit as a commuter, said he can't go back to the Fit now as it feels like a cardboard box.
      Last edited by turbinepowered; 01-12-2020 at 12:52 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Cars
      01-12-2020 12:57 PM #470
      Hey, I don't hate EVs. I'm just not a Tesla fanboi/cultist. And for the price, how can I so no? Show me another 240 mile 2019 EV that is available for $21k. Now I am going to have to drop in a 240 plug in my garage and get a level 2 charger.
      I can't wait for CTK to get an electric car.
      Slow Car Fast

22. 01-12-2020 02:15 PM #471
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Ooooh, I like both those colors, but your son got the better blue IMO.
      The color choice was based on what the dealer had left for "previous loaner/rental vehicles" and the options that I wanted. Plus my son's is a Premier that has leather seats, which I really didn't want. The other colors I could have chosen from were black or dark grey. This is FL. I can't understand why anyone even buys a black car here.

I can't wait for CTK to get an electric car.
      Now you are talking about hell freezing over.

Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      01-12-2020 03:44 PM #472
      The color choice was based on what the dealer had left for "previous loaner/rental vehicles" and the options that I wanted. Plus my son's is a Premier that has leather seats, which I really didn't want. The other colors I could have chosen from were black or dark grey. This is FL. I can't understand why anyone even buys a black car here.
      Oh I wasn't saying yours was a bad choice, I'm just very biased in my car color preferences toward darker jewel tone blues (and greens).

Sounds like you both got great deals.

Also agreed on that last point too.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

24. 01-18-2020 11:18 PM #473
      A week has gone by and I'm still happy with my decision. I may have even put 300 miles on the car since I got it. What I am not happy with is the $725 quote I got from an electrician to run 30' of conduit from a sub-panel in my garage to the location where I want the NEMA 14-50R outlet for the level 2 charger. We are talking about $100 or so worth of material and probably 2 hours of labor at most for a competent electrician. There are a couple of guys who advertise on CL and Nextdoor I still have to call next week. The guy that wired the entire house when we built it 4 years ago hasn't returned my calls. I am tempted to run the conduit and the wire myself and see if one of the guys will just connect both ends for me. Otherwise, I will do the whole job myself.

Cars
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      01-19-2020 10:16 AM #474
      2020 Bolt LT. Was looking at Kinetic Blue (same color as my Volt) or Cayenne Orange Metallic, but when my wife saw this one in the showroom, she said this color. It had a bit more equipment than we wanted (all the active lane stuff, automatic braking, etc) but they gave it to us as the same price as the regular LT with just the heated seats.

So, Oasis Blue it is. Cloth interior, heated seats, steering wheel, Apple Carplay, DC Fast charge. She loves it so the BMW is going away.

"Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

26. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      01-19-2020 01:12 PM #475
      That’s a neat color! I wish that’d been available when we bought ours. I also wish we had the cloth seats.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast