Fourtitude.com - The first TCL Electric Vehicle Registry!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    1. 01-20-2020 01:02 PM #476
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      although the real world range <of the Bolt> is far less than our Kona.
      Interesting. Can you elaborate on this?
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      01-20-2020 01:34 PM #477
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      What I am not happy with is the $725 quote I got from an electrician to run 30' of conduit from a sub-panel in my garage to the location where I want the NEMA 14-50R outlet for the level 2 charger. We are talking about $100 or so worth of material and probably 2 hours of labor at most for a competent electrician. There are a couple of guys who advertise on CL and Nextdoor I still have to call next week. The guy that wired the entire house when we built it 4 years ago hasn't returned my calls. I am tempted to run the conduit and the wire myself and see if one of the guys will just connect both ends for me. Otherwise, I will do the whole job myself.
      This is definitely a theme. My dad spent over $1000 to have conduit punched through a wall and run over the garage ceiling 15 or 20 feet down to where he wanted the 14-50 outlet. He uses his travel charger on his S. A lot of people talk about "Tesla tax" but maybe it's more like "EV tax", or maybe electricians' services really are that expensive. I think my dad's electrician used an apprentice to do the conduit work anyway

Everyone seems to end up paying absurd prices for this stuff.

I got a "free" Tesla wall charger from my dad (one of his referral rewards) and our solar installers quoted $750 to do it at the same time as they did our solar. I agreed to the quote, even though the charger was going *right* next to the panel, just to make sure it was done right, all at the same time, and of course could be rolled into the solar install cost at tax time to get 30% back.

In the end, the solar folks didn't bill me the $750 they were supposed to, so I guess I got a free car charger, parts *and* install

ChrisV, congrats on the new ride! Love the color, your wife is right
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

4. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      01-20-2020 02:05 PM #478
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post

So, Oasis Blue it is.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      01-20-2020 02:12 PM #479
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      This is definitely a theme. My dad spent over $1000 to have conduit punched through a wall and run over the garage ceiling 15 or 20 feet down to where he wanted the 14-50 outlet. He uses his travel charger on his S. A lot of people talk about "Tesla tax" but maybe it's more like "EV tax", or maybe electricians' services really are that expensive. I think my dad's electrician used an apprentice to do the conduit work anyway

Everyone seems to end up paying absurd prices for this stuff.
      I think the current economic/construction situation and the "you look like you can afford it" tax are at play here. In our case the guy walked into the garage, saw a Porsche, saw we were on the water and figured he could charge a lot more. Also, there aren't any local electricians advertising on CL here for side jobs, which tells me that the economy and construction in the area is too goods for them to need more work.

When my son needed a 14-50 installed in his garage in Redwood City, I looked up an electrician on CL who seemed to live nearby. The guy came by, looked over the job, texted me the list of materials to buy at HD and came back the next day to do the job. I think he charged $200 or $250. The job itself was extremely simple. The panel was on the outside wall of his garage. The outlet went just below the panel on the inside wall. If I had the right tools there, I would have done the job myself.

If I don't do the entire job myself, I will run the conduit and wire, then call the electrician who worked for the solar company to make the connections at each end. I am pretty sure he would do it for a relatively small fee.

Cars
      Audi S3, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      01-20-2020 06:38 PM #480
      You have great taste in cars. Congratulations!
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

7. Member
      Cars
      2019 G70 6MT; 2019 i3 REX; 2005 S2000; 2003 XC70; 1966 GTO
      01-20-2020 07:23 PM #481
      I had forgotten about this thread. Our 2019 i3 REX:

Quote Originally Posted by DUBLUV401 View Post
      I am not here for grammer lesson's

Cars
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      01-22-2020 11:47 AM #482
      Joining the Bolt brigade as well.

'20 LT base model with the fast charging as the only option. I read Ubers thread that got bumped by someone mentioning a cheap lease and after emailing a salesman I dealt with at a dealer he came back within the target I was shooting for. I've had a few moments of thought as to if I should have went for the heated seats and steering wheel, and ended up asking a local dealer what they could do but it was a fully loaded LT which came out to like $4k more during the life of the lease. Nightfall Grey sure is a nice color, though.

I haven't owned a white car since I was 16 other than my parts car TDI so I figure it was time, and since its a small hatchback it isn't too "rental car white"-y

I bought a ChargePoint Home 32 for the Level 2 charging and will have my cousin who is a licensed electrician run a dedicated line to the wall either on the side of the house or right at the drive way. It's a 25ft cord but that gets eaten up quickly by the GTO and Rabbit

IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Cars
      01-22-2020 12:04 PM #483
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      Joining the Bolt brigade as well.

'20 LT base model with the fast charging as the only option. I read Ubers thread that got bumped by someone mentioning a cheap lease and after emailing a salesman I dealt with at a dealer he came back within the target I was shooting for. I've had a few moments of thought as to if I should have went for the heated seats and steering wheel, and ended up asking a local dealer what they could do but it was a fully loaded LT which came out to like $4k more during the life of the lease. Nightfall Grey sure is a nice color, though.
      Nice. A little late now but they couldn't have found you one with the comfort pack that had the heated seats and wheel? Just 2 nights ago I got out of work at about 11:30 pm and the temperature was about 50 F. I got into my Bolt, powered it up and realized that it had automatically switched on the seat and wheel heat. It felt pretty good too. I never thought I would use it in FL.

Cars
      Rabbit TDI, MK4 2.0, 04 GTO
      01-22-2020 12:44 PM #484
      Nice. A little late now but they couldn't have found you one with the comfort pack that had the heated seats and wheel? Just 2 nights ago I got out of work at about 11:30 pm and the temperature was about 50 F. I got into my Bolt, powered it up and realized that it had automatically switched on the seat and wheel heat. It felt pretty good too. I never thought I would use it in FL.
      I'm sure it would be super nice to have, but with the seats being cloth I figure I could live with it...but boy does that plastic steering wheel get cold and hard

I've been preconditioning it in the morning while plugged in and that helps for sure when it's 20* out.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Cars
      02-10-2020 11:12 AM #485
      Back in May 2018 we installed an 8.7 kW solar panel system on our house. I've been keeping track of our production and usage, and found that we were making about 2400 kWh/year in excess of our usage. At the end of 2019 our electric company, Duke Energy, took away about 2200 kWh of excess balance and will be sending us a check for about $140. Big deal.

Today I realized that those 2200 kWh would have actually been worth almost 8000 miles of driving our Bolt. And if I was putting gas into our Colorado to drive that much, it would have cost me over $1000.

So I guess our Bolt will help us pay off the solar panels even sooner than expected. Or our solar panels will help us save money on our driving.

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV
      02-10-2020 11:34 AM #486
      Back in May 2018 we installed an 8.7 kW solar panel system on our house. I've been keeping track of our production and usage, and found that we were making about 2400 kWh/year in excess of our usage. At the end of 2019 our electric company, Duke Energy, took away about 2200 kWh of excess balance and will be sending us a check for about $140. Big deal.

Today I realized that those 2200 kWh would have actually been worth almost 8000 miles of driving our Bolt. And if I was putting gas into our Colorado to drive that much, it would have cost me over $1000.

So I guess our Bolt will help us pay off the solar panels even sooner than expected. Or our solar panels will help us save money on our driving.
      Isn't that some ****? Americans saving on fuel by making their own fuel.... Incredible times. I wish the rest of the US wouldn't be so bothered by it.
      Slow Car Fast

Cars
      02-10-2020 12:03 PM #487
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Isn't that some ****? Americans saving on fuel by making their own fuel.... Incredible times. I wish the rest of the US wouldn't be so bothered by it.
      In Puerto Rico there is a proposal to charge solar panel owners a "sun tax" for all the power they use, including the power they generated themselves. That is when you go off grid with batteries. We are so backwards here. Coal, oil, gas and the electricity lobby have too much power.

https://theintercept.com/2020/02/09/...r-natural-gas/

The unelected board members proposed raising rates for all energy consumers via a “transition charge,” which would start at 2.7 additional cents per kilowatt hour and eventually rise to 4.5 cents. PREPA customers who installed rooftop solar panels would pay the creditors’ fee on all energy they used, including what they generated themselves, a highly unusual arrangement.

02-13-2020 05:27 PM #488
      The other weekend I took some time to clay bar the 500e and apply a fresh coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. The metallic paint really shines. The 500e has never been through an automatic car wash -- no swirls in the paint. I need to take some better photos of it, this is just an iPhone photo.

2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

Cars
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      02-13-2020 07:32 PM #489
      This is somewhat relevant here but after 82k miles I've finally hit 200mpg in my '13 Volt. I bought it 4 years with about 40k miles and the lifetime mileage at the time was 171mpg.

It's been perfect for what I've needed. Daily commutes on battery with the occasional road trip. I'm taking it in next week for its third oil change since I've had it.

Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

Cars
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      02-13-2020 08:12 PM #490
      Quote Originally Posted by palakaman View Post
      This is somewhat relevant here but after 82k miles I've finally hit 200mpg in my '13 Volt. I bought it 4 years with about 40k miles and the lifetime mileage at the time was 171mpg.

It's been perfect for what I've needed. Daily commutes on battery with the occasional road trip. I'm taking it in next week for its third oil change since I've had it.

We're still on the same tank of gas since buying our Volt in December. I really should have bought another one instead of going for the GTI. Now that I have the GTI, I'm casually looking for a cheap EV to offset the mileage. Found a really cheap 500E with a ding on it and am thinking of picking it up.

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV
      02-13-2020 08:37 PM #491
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I really should have bought another one instead of going for the GTI. Now that I have the GTI, I'm casually looking for a cheap EV to offset the mileage.
      Ya gotta be fukcign with us
      Slow Car Fast

Cars
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      02-13-2020 10:12 PM #492
      Ya gotta be fukcign with us
      I wish .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

02-13-2020 11:10 PM #493
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      We're still on the same tank of gas since buying our Volt in December. I really should have bought another one instead of going for the GTI. Now that I have the GTI, I'm casually looking for a cheap EV to offset the mileage. Found a really cheap 500E with a ding on it and am thinking of picking it up.

I highly recommend these 500e. See if a PDR pro can push/pull the dent out.
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2006 Lotus Exige

Cars
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      02-14-2020 08:51 AM #494
      wish we could throw up solar panels up but the HOA has DENIED. (which is odd since i can put up solar water heater and solar pool heater; i'll let someone else fight and change the bylaws) This is where tesla solar tiles would work great to comply with silly aesthetics but needs hurricane rating and earth tone colors. I drive about 2 miles a day to grab kids and rather have a ev golfcar for those duties

Cars
      02-14-2020 10:43 AM #495
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      wish we could throw up solar panels up but the HOA has DENIED. (which is odd since i can put up solar water heater and solar pool heater; i'll let someone else fight and change the bylaws) This is where tesla solar tiles would work great to comply with silly aesthetics but needs hurricane rating and earth tone colors. I drive about 2 miles a day to grab kids and rather have a ev golfcar for those duties
      Homeowners associations and solar access in Florida

Florida Statute 163.04 forbids any binding agreement (between HOAs or otherwise) to prohibit a property owner from installing solar. An HOA may restrict where you place your solar panels, but not if the system’s performance suffers as a result. House Bill 697 expanded upon this legislation to allow condominium boards to install solar on their properties to benefit unit owners without their prior approval. It also allows the unit owners to install solar within their own condos.

Florida Statute 704.07 allows for the negotiation of solar easements to guarantee that a property owner’s solar panels get enough exposure to the sun.

02-14-2020 11:00 AM #496

Homeowners associations and solar access in Florida

Florida Statute 163.04 forbids any binding agreement (between HOAs or otherwise) to prohibit a property owner from installing solar. An HOA may restrict where you place your solar panels, but not if the system’s performance suffers as a result. House Bill 697 expanded upon this legislation to allow condominium boards to install solar on their properties to benefit unit owners without their prior approval. It also allows the unit owners to install solar within their own condos.

Florida Statute 704.07 allows for the negotiation of solar easements to guarantee that a property owner’s solar panels get enough exposure to the sun.
      &#x1f44d;&#x1f44d;
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2006 Lotus Exige

Cars
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      02-14-2020 11:04 AM #497
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      I highly recommend these 500e. See if a PDR pro can push/pull the dent out.
      I second that. The 500e is a perfect little run about for around town.

Cars
      2015 vw golf sportwagen tdi 6speed manual, 1992 honda civic vx *gsr swap with bolt ons*
      02-14-2020 11:33 AM #498
      In Puerto Rico there is a proposal to charge solar panel owners a "sun tax" for all the power they use, including the power they generated themselves. That is when you go off grid with batteries. We are so backwards here. Coal, oil, gas and the electricity lobby have too much power.

https://theintercept.com/2020/02/09/...r-natural-gas/
      what the ****, what's next they are going to charge for you for oxygen too?. whoever thought it's a good idea for a "sun tax" should be hang in the middle of the city

Cars
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      02-14-2020 05:09 PM #499
      I just past 35k miles (7k of my driving in 6 months) on my eGolf and it's still been a great commuter. There are times where I wished I would have waited until I found the 500e that I wanted but the eGolf is such a great commuter I'm fine with the slightly less fun to driveness of it.

The only issues that I have is occasionally the AA will bug out and I'll need to reset the system and the rear camera will not work. Those are very minor in my mind and they always work after a reset.

I think that once it gets nicer out I'm going to take it to a couple of autocross events and see how it does and feel. Maybe I'll try a couple of different techniques like using B mode or two feet driving like a go cart or traction control vs no TC. Should be fun to see what's faster.

I'm already looking to the future and seeing what small EVs are coming to the US. I'm intrigued by the Mini E and I really wish the Honda E was coming here. Maybe someday as I love that little thing. I have zero interest in any of the CUV sized or truck sized EVs coming out but I know that I'm very much in the minority.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920