VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

245/35-18 options? Khumo v710s are no more. :(

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  andyedenson 
#1 ·
I've just scheduled my first track day - took me long enough.

I have a set of lightweight wheels I use for AutoX with Khumo v710s mounted. They're well worn so I'd like to replace them with something suitable for a track day, and more AutoX. I've loved the V710s for AutoX but I can't find them anymore.

Does anyone know what 245/35 can be pinched onto a 7.5" rim?

#2 ·
Have you had good results with 245s on 7.5" width wheels? I've always found that 235s are the most I'd personally use with 7.5s, especially with R-compound tires that tend to run wider than normal. I've always found I lose turn-in and transitional response with too much tire on a given wheel. Curious if you liked that setup.

Regarding the size you're looking for, if it's just semi-slicks you're looking for, similar to the V710s, it looks like the Hankook Z214 has something, as well as Hoosier in the A7 and R7.

#3 ·
245s are the first and only I've used on the 7.5s. I chose this because at the time (2005?) some placed very well at the Nats in DS in an R32. I found his setup and setup my HS R with the same wheel/tire/strut combo. Pretty much dominated local DS in this config ever since so I stuck to it. Most manufacturers will say 8" is minimum wheel width for 245s. I know the v710 will pinch safely on a 7.5 but I can't say the same for the others I haven't tried. Maybe I should just go down to a 235 to stay within the manufacture recommendations. I'll take a look at the Hanooks, thanks!

#4 ·
I found his setup and setup my HS R with the same wheel/tire/strut combo. Pretty much dominated local DS in this config ever since so I stuck to it.
Well, it's hard to argue with results, so... :) Unfortunately, it would take back-to-back testing for you to find out which is faster. Good luck, and keep us posted on the decision and results of what you end up using. Hopefully someone else can chime in with regard to squeezing on the size that's worked for you in the past with new tires. Too bad the old ones got discontinued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.