VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Planning a Worthersee trip for 2016

26K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BLACKLINE 
#1 ·
Myself & 3 friends have decided to make the trek across the Atlantic for next years event. Any advice? I'm planning on doing 14-17 days. The rest of the group is planning on doing 10. I figured one to two days would be making the trip to Wolfsburg and Berlin. Any other sweet opportunities, must visits, etc.

#2 ·
I have been to Wörthersee multiple times and having been planning for a trip next year as well. There will be about 15-20 people in our group. You will want to plan your "must see" events for Monday-Thursday and I suggest planning a night stay in Wolfsburg and going to Autostadt first thing in your trip. Most people will fly into Frankfurt and drive North, which will take ~6-7 hours (with stops) and depending on when you arrived (try flights that will get you into Germany around 6:00-8:00 AM). This will balance your arrival day and allow you to rest a little and take in Wolfsburg (the city) and then enjoy the morning with a good breakfast near the plant and Autostadt. You may want to spend about 3-4 hours there taking in the facility (or more if you take a plant tour). If you do not do the tour, then you can visit the nearby VW Museum. Since you want to visit Berlin, you can drive there in about an 1.5 hours and repeat the process by taking in some of the city at night and then the next day. After this, you will end up spending a day driving South through Nuremberg to Munich. Plan stops on that drive for things that interest you (automotive, scenic, historical, etc..) and try to take in a bräuhaus such as Hofbräuhaus München while there. There will be several POI on the way from Munich to Salzburg and South (Eagle's Nest if you are a WWII buff) and you will have to stop at an ESSO or other petrol station in Germany and buy a toll pass sticker before entering Austria. Also pick up some cold biers, candy and snacks that you haven't seen before. Also, remember, you can have an open bier in your car as long as you are not driving. For the most part, you will not miss much of the show if you don't leave the show Saturday morning (7th May 2016) and will be able to get out of town with less worries of the traffic. It will be congested once you get closer to Reifnitz during the show dates (4th-7th May 2016) so the closer you stay to Reifnitz the better if you don't want to waste time in traffic or you can also take a boat from Klagenfurt or Velden (which many times is free as many guesthaus provide a pass for these as part of the stay). Take in the Mischkulnig while there as it is a show within itself (Fatman & Mrs. Hurt, Matt Bounds, Col. Bynum, Randy Williams, Elliott Roberts * the PVW staff and myself hung out a couple nights there in 2011) and met up with other friends that we knew. It is an experience to see and do and there are many things to see. With the days you are planning to stay, you should be able to take in Stuttgart (Mercedes Museum, Porsche Museum, Bodensee & Hohenzollern Castle) or Villingen-Schwenningen (Black Forrest region) and stop off in Heidelberg if you are flying in and out through Frankfurt. With the Euro being low, it may be smart to start converting funds over as the value may start heading back up (it is a gamble, but a safe one) so that you get a better exchange rate when you can.

#3 ·
Thanks for your helpful reply! I've found some of this stuff as I've been doing my own research. Still not sure whether to fly into Frankfurt, Berlin, or Munich. Any particular reason why you chose Frankfurt? I was looking at doing Ingolstadt/Audi on the way from Berlin/Wolfsburg to Munich. I love Hofbräuhaus, so that's 100% on my agenda. I figured from Munich head to Stuggart. They have a Spring Beer Festival going on. I don't think I want to spend more than 2 days there, so we'll probably pick between Porsche and Mercedes. After Stuggart, I've looked at heading south through Switzerland & doing Stelvio Pass, or just heading to Worthersee. If we go the Swiss route, I wouldn't mind heading into Modena,Italy and doing Lamborghini and Ferrari Museums. From what i Just searched Mischkulnig is the Eni Station in Velden? Good thing to note about the Euro being low right now!

I guess I have a couple questions still. I know you said to stay in Reifnitz. I found a couple places I like there, a lot in Velden, and a few in Pörtschach. I've gathered that Pörtschach is the party town. Velden is more laidback, & Reifnitz is very crowded due to the show. Any experience staying in other locations? Also, what is your preferred mode of transport? Rental cars vary greatly by Rental Agency. Any experience using Consolidators like AutoEurope? And the most important question of all... Are you saying Road Soda's are legal for everyone but the Driver? :beer:

#4 ·
Flying into Frankfurt is usually the cheapest. Mischkulnig is the petrol station in Velden and a great place to hang out and see cars. I have stayed in Reifnitz and in Velden and between the two, Reifnitz made it easy to see most of the show but Velden was more laid back. It all comes down to cost and how long you want to set in traffic. Staying farther out is just a matter of a longer drive. For rentals, I have used small sedans to transport vans (depending on how many people are riding) and have used Hertz and Sixt. And yes, road sodas are legal for all but the driver. He or she will be stuck drinking water, cola or juice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.