Fourtitude.com - My 1970 C10: An unintended project
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
    1. 12-13-2018 11:01 AM #651
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      If you were picky about lengths and routing you may have been a little frustrated with a Painless harness. They make good stuff but they can be a little long and tough to tie up neatly and very few people are willing to cut into their new $800 harness to tighten it up.

I’m currently putting parts and tools together to build a motorsport quality harness and the learning curve has been pretty steep. Most of the people that build them for race cars keep their secrets close but I’m making some progress.
      That was actually part of my reasoning too, I installed a painless kit into a 66 Mustang a while back and ended up cutting, extending, etc multiple wires to get them where I wanted. I figured if I was going to have to modify it..why not build my own?

I'm wanting to start building motorsports quality harnesses as well, this was a great place to start. I started following a bunch of those guys on social media that build them and you're right, they keep a lot of it close to their chest.

Quote Originally Posted by madrussian View Post
      I too have come to enjoy the mundane and mind-numbing feat that is wiring... it all started w/ the FoxBody because a Universal race harness was $200, vs $850 for a specific one.

I bought the tools needed (which as mentioned, get to be reused) and we're off to the races. I figure if I can wire a whole house w/ 4 way switches, 3 ways, and sub panels, whats a car.

My 70 is on my list to tackle after I finish the fox, but you know how that goes.

Always pumped to see you post progress and updates, and congrats on married life. Hope it's treating you well...
      Thanks man! Married life is great, somehow my honey-do list grew exponentially since.

Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      I have a soft spot for C10's below is my Dad's truck 67' that I learned to drive with 3 in the tree.
      He's 81 now and I finally convinced him to give it to his Grandson, who in turn was able to sell it.
      Frame was toast and the guy who bought it will use most of the interior, i.e. seats, dash etc. to complete another project.
      He'll cut out the GMC from the tailgate and turn it into a bar top with resin.

Awesome! My dad had an identical 67, probably in about the same shape when I was a little kid. Wish I still had it though.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-13-2018 01:27 PM #652
      Quote Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
      Thanks man! Married life is great, somehow my honey-do list grew exponentially since.

There are exceptions, but they are very rare.

Dargh! The pic doesn't work, but it's basically a graph where you have a 50% chance of winning an argument while dating, 25% while engaged and 0% after 1 year of marriage.
      Last edited by Air and water do mix; 12-28-2018 at 12:22 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

4. 12-28-2018 11:05 AM #653
      Spent some time on a rainy Thursday night and put my gauge cluster back together. All the gauges are reproductions and so is the tach conversion. I did however powder coat the housing for the gauges and the small off white metal pieces that hold the small gauges. Put mostly new hardware in it, scrubbed the bulb holders and stuck new bulbs in them.

One step closer.

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-28-2018 01:16 PM #654
      See, the problem is that even if I finally wind up with that same kind of truck (which is pretty much my ideal) there's enough detail in that gauge cluster that you have to completely restore the truck, which I won't want to do! I'll have to get by on polished up original pieces until I want to spend crazy amounts of time/money.

It looks great!

6. Member
      Cars
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      04-23-2019 02:59 PM #655
      You had any time to work on this thing?

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      04-29-2019 12:06 PM #656
      The reproduction printed circuit is gorgeous.
      DCIVW
      CE.

8. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-29-2019 12:23 PM #657
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Yeah, have you? C'mon, man. How are we supposed to live vicariously through you if you don't update us?

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      04-30-2019 08:57 AM #658
      Spent some time on a rainy Thursday night and put my gauge cluster back together. All the gauges are reproductions and so is the tach conversion. I did however powder coat the housing for the gauges and the small off white metal pieces that hold the small gauges. Put mostly new hardware in it, scrubbed the bulb holders and stuck new bulbs in them.

One step closer.
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      The reproduction printed circuit is gorgeous.
      I didn't even notice the printed circuit! Where did that come from??

10. 06-08-2019 10:26 PM #659
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Not a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      I didn't even notice the printed circuit! Where did that come from??
      It came from Brothers Trucks

Things that I have done in the past few months is got the front end bolted back on again so that I could build the engine harness and figure out the PS hoses. These panels have been wrapped up in my basement for a few years now so it's been like opening presents unwrapping them.

Gave up on trying to find a PS pressure hose that fit, I used aftermarket brackets for the pump which made it a chore to track something down. Ended up going down to a local equipment repair shop and had them make a hose, then went back to have them make a return hose as well.

And finally I've got the engine harness about 2/3 of the way done. Since I'm tucking the harness up in the fenders and rad support I am making three separate sections that are terminated with weatherpack terminals so that I can disassemble the front sheetmetal if needed. I've still got to terminate the ends after I get it in and cut the wires to length. Getting close though.

Hoping to be able to knock the last of the wiring out in the upcoming weeks so that I can actually start and drive this thing. I'd really like to get it to my house so that I can start sanding the truck out in preparation for paint.

06-08-2019 10:48 PM #660
      I always enjoy an update to this thread. Good to see you back at it.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG (for sale) | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Cars
      06-10-2019 09:28 AM #661
      It came from Brothers Trucks
      Thanks! I'll have to send them an e-mail and ask for more info on that. Like who made it and if there's a possibility of having some produced for VWs...

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      06-10-2019 10:25 AM #662
      Thanks! I'll have to send them an e-mail and ask for more info on that. Like who made it and if there's a possibility of having some produced for VWs...

....I love this idea.
      DCIVW
      CE.

14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-10-2019 10:42 AM #663
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      I always enjoy an update to this thread. Good to see you back at it.

Chris
      Always this.

My first thought was "where in the hell are there printed cir..." And then I realized you were talking about water-cooled stuff. Yeah, unless there's a supplier I'm unfamiliar with that's sorely needed.

Cars
      06-12-2019 09:17 AM #664
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      ....I love this idea.
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      My first thought was "where in the hell are there printed cir..." And then I realized you were talking about water-cooled stuff. Yeah, unless there's a supplier I'm unfamiliar with that's sorely needed.
      Yep. I've tried finding a supplier that could reproduce them, if I sent them a template to use for mock up and had zero luck with that. I'm hoping that they could do it because it is 100% needed. In any case, I sent them an e-mail and am hopeful that it's a possibility.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627