Fourtitude.com - 1985 Alfa GTV - Who knows about these things?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      2018 Atlas 4MO, 2008 3.6L Passat 4Mo, 98 O2M 3.0L VRT, '04 .:R32, 2014 CC R-line
      03-14-2015 07:41 PM #1
      Need some info. Want to pick one up but unsure what are the common flaws.
      This particular one is a 2.5l with under 40k original miles.
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426376509.801430.jpg
      Help?

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Group B WRC, Group A DTM, and BHRC Cat 3.
      03-14-2015 07:47 PM #2
      These Alfas (and the Milanos which share nearly everything but body panels) are robust cars.
      The engine/driveline is amazing.
      It's best to get one with a good service history.
      Parts are relatively easy to obtain.

I had a 2.5 Milano. Even though it had it's quirks, it was an incredibly reliable year round daily driver.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
      If you have a 5 cylinder, you don't need a stereo.

What is a Homologation car you ask?
      http://www.fia.com/list-previously-homologated-cars

4. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      03-14-2015 08:10 PM #3
      Try user Zinhead, he has a beautiful GTV6.

Cars
      2008 Camry Wagon
      03-14-2015 09:52 PM #4
      Inboard brakes.

That's all I know
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

6. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Cars
      His+Hers= Bose, THXII, 12 cylinders, 48v, 7.5L, 4 turbos, 795hp, torque vectoring, torsen, 28spks
      03-14-2015 09:58 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by nater View Post
      Need some info. Want to pick one up but unsure what are the common flaws.
      This particular one is a 2.5l with under 40k original miles.
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426376509.801430.jpg
      Help?

Thanks,
      picforants.jpg

Great looking cars, but Alfa reliability to boot

Cars
      53 Cylinders & 6 turbos
      03-14-2015 10:46 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      picforants.jpg

He's a mod and has access to the attachment feature, click to enlarge

Cars
      2018 Atlas 4MO, 2008 3.6L Passat 4Mo, 98 O2M 3.0L VRT, '04 .:R32, 2014 CC R-line
      03-14-2015 10:47 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by hognhominy View Post
      Tapatalk

9. Member Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B.'s Avatar
      Cars
      His+Hers= Bose, THXII, 12 cylinders, 48v, 7.5L, 4 turbos, 795hp, torque vectoring, torsen, 28spks
      03-14-2015 10:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by hognhominy View Post
      I'm not touching anything of his that makes it enlarge.

Cars
      53 Cylinders & 6 turbos
      03-14-2015 10:48 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by nater View Post
      Tapatalk
      ok, still looks like a russet pic

Cars
      03-15-2015 01:15 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Inboard brakes.

That's all I know
      Inboard rear, outboard fronts.

12. 03-15-2015 09:16 AM #11
      All I know is I love 'em.

There was a red one for sale down the street for 3 freakin years while I was in high school- but EVERYBODY told me to stay far away from it. I think they are freakin gorgeous. I probably couldn't have afforded it, nor the maintenance and repairs, which is why I still lust after them today.

Buy it- then sell it to me in a few years

13. Member
      Cars
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      03-15-2015 09:21 AM #12
      picforants.jpg

Gerbil making fun of other people's pics? The world is coming to an end.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

14. Member
      Cars
      MK2's only for VW
      03-15-2015 09:44 AM #13
      Scary, structurally dangerous rust; second gear synchros; engine/diff/shaft mounts; flimsy interior; more fun than a box of kittens- prices starting to get a bit wacky.

Best rear suspension design ever imho, and the V6 is marvelous.

An island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.
      Cars
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      03-15-2015 10:22 AM #14
      I'm not touching anything of his that makes it enlarge.

Timing them is quite different than any other car (more like a hammer and things you would not do normally since the timing belt has a tendency to jump a tooth).

Now they have DeDion rear suspension and inboard brakes; that said get one with the brakes already done unless you want to acquire Tourrets.
      They are extremely susceptible to rust (mine was killed by rust) specially on the front right around the hood hinges, then one day the whole hood falls of when you have to do an oil change because you could not see the rust coming from the inside out.....

Driveline and handling are amazing for that car and they are still far ahead even compared to cars from today. Interior does have my favorite layout second to and 80-87 RX-7. Loved the fact that the rear quarter windows did roll down completely, excellent exhaust note with a Monza set up and great visibility. If I were to get my hands on a non rusted and brake job performed example and I could storage it indoors I would get another one.

Also the car still have some awesome looks to it and it feels as solid as a tank when driving.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      You mean CalDeRoo?

Cars
      03-15-2015 12:36 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by scottmartin49 View Post

Best rear suspension design ever imho
      hell yes.

17. 03-16-2015 10:28 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Try user Zinhead, he has a beautiful GTV6.
      I know a little about these cars. The best source for information on all Alfa is thehttp://www.alfabb.com.

There is a vwvortex appreciation thread https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Here is a thread comparing the GTV6 to the Porsche 944 https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post83489875

The car that the OP posted looks to be in good condition, and it is difficult to find low mileage examples.

Cars
      88 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde, 13 Abarth, 04 Maserati Coupe
      03-16-2015 11:32 AM #17
      I have a Milano, which is essentially the same thing mechanically.

People have mentioned rust and flimsy interiors. Interiors can be sourced, but rusty ones are hard to deal with.

Mechanically, it depends on what you're looking for. When maintained, they are robust, but understandably, many of these have been neglected. Parts are similar to BMW part pricing, so not cheap, but not Ferrari level either. Labor can be expensive, especially at an Alfa shop, so I'd factor that in.

Like someone mentioned, the engine timing can be an issue. I have skipped timing twice and bent valves twice - now I run a modified mechanical tensioner that prevents the belt from getting too loose. In any case, pulling and swapping valves is a 4 hour job on the left head (not bad). Right heads don't skip as often due to having better belt wrap, but shouldn't be bad on a GTV6 (harder on Milano Verde/Platinum due to large ABS brake booster).

I bought a car that Zinhead sold and it was sketchy. Lost an axle (bolts were loose on both sides), bottom end died while cruising on the highway, valve lash was neglected and tappets had taken a dump.

Rear brake jobs are easy, but people like to sensationalize them. Calipers are super easy and cheap to rebuild too.

Get one but don't neglect it.

Cars
      2010 VW GTI 6SM. Wife 2017 JETTA SE 5SM
      03-16-2015 01:05 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by scottmartin49 View Post
      Scary, structurally dangerous rust; second gear synchros; engine/diff/shaft mounts; flimsy interior; more fun than a box of kittens- prices starting to get a bit wacky.

Best rear suspension design ever imho, and the V6 is marvelous.
      Yup that sounds like an Alfa alright But they are fun as hell to drive and beautiful to look at

Cars
      03-31-2015 06:31 PM #19
      Thanks for your info guys.
      A bit of an unknown so this one will go to someone else.
      Here's the link:
      http://m.ebay.com/itm/161468592194?_mwBanner=1

21. 03-31-2015 09:47 PM #20
      That red NJ GTV6 has been for sale for a while. I noticed the price has jumped up $3,000 as well. That is a very STRONG price for these cars at this current time. Some day they will be worth that much, but not now. Now if this was a Callaway Twin Turbo, that is another story. Nice examples are advertised between 8-12k. I have been around these cars my entire life, and have recently in the last 5 years done just about all maintenance you can think of minus body work. If you research enough on the GTV6 or transaxle cars (116 series) you find that there are special tools needed for some repairs and sometimes not. There are still shops around that cater to this type of car, so look around in your area for a Alfa mechanic if you do not plan on doing the work yourself. Where I live there were two or three good shops, but we enjoy doing the work on the car ourselves.

The car in question should need nothing mechanically or cosmetically at that price. I have seen GTV6's that lived their entire lives in dry climate and still get rust. There is a trap of sorts behind the front wheels, where dirt and leaves collect and trap moisture. There are access plates on each side, and they are riveted in. This is also where the sunroof drain tubes dump water. You can drill out the rivets and replace them with sheet metal screws to aid with future removal. Maybe look to see if someone has already done this, that would be nice.

Its a great car for a hobbyist, one that doesn't mind getting to know their car on an intimate level. Its extremely rewarding to drive and it makes all the right noises and is a blast. I concur that the rear brakes are not that difficult. Especially after I bought a reproduction factory tool to adjust the rear caliper piston depth. I guess if your the type that struggles with normal brake jobs, this could be mind blowing.

Buy this car, hopefully not more than $12,000 and never look back. Good luck!

22. 04-01-2015 02:06 AM #21
      I have been eyeballing these cars since I first got my driver's license. They are gorgeous when lowered on sexy aftermarket wheels and they sound as good as they look. That being said, the team who pitted next to us at the last lemons race raced one for a few races and they shared all of their hatred for the car with me.

Apparently, the cars handle well, but when driven hard, the rear brakes overheat as they are buried deep under the car. And to make matters worse, the brakes are right next to the transaxle, so the brakes consequently overheat the transaxle fluid. Needless to say, the car had for sale signs plastered all over it (they were racing a volvo wagon that weekend).

I know I'd want to track mine, so these issues in addition to the timing belt skipping problem, might just keep me from ever owning one.

Cars
      88 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde, 13 Abarth, 04 Maserati Coupe
      04-01-2015 10:37 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by RogerRabbit83 View Post
      I concur that the rear brakes are not that difficult. Especially after I bought a reproduction factory tool to adjust the rear caliper piston depth. I guess if your the type that struggles with normal brake jobs, this could be mind blowing.
      Did you buy one of the tools the guy on AlfaBB was making and selling?

24. Member
      Cars
      Miata, GX470, Soul EV, GTV, GT Jr
      04-22-2015 11:28 PM #23
      FWIW, If talking about a GTV6 - I would really look at a '85 or '86 - the gearbox is a bit better shifting in these than the earlier ones imho. All Milanos are fine, but the Verde is the jewel - if you find a good one.

While I never owned one - I have driven many and considered buying them many times. I just end up getting 105 series Alfas instead whenever I do - as that series is my favorite. The V6 however is glorious.

25. 04-23-2015 05:52 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
      Apparently, the cars handle well, but when driven hard, the rear brakes overheat as they are buried deep under the car. And to make matters worse, the brakes are right next to the transaxle, so the brakes consequently overheat the transaxle fluid. Needless to say, the car had for sale signs plastered all over it (they were racing a volvo wagon that weekend).

I know I'd want to track mine, so these issues in addition to the timing belt skipping problem, might just keep me from ever owning one.
      Not an issue for street use, and remedied by replacing the solid rear disc with vented rotors for track use.

A GTV6 and two Milanos have won 24 hour Lemons races, so in competent hands they are very capable cars.

26. Senior Member
      Cars
      2018 Audi Q5 TFSI
      04-23-2015 12:00 PM #25
      Not only does the rear transaxle setup results in excellent weight distribution that results in amazing handling (and it was these cars as much as any which made Alfa Romeo legendary in that department), but it should also make them rather roomier than you'd expect a RWD coupe of its size to be, given the lack of a transmission tunnel. Problems with rust and typical Alfa ergonomics of the period aside, engines will last well if properly maintained. Not perfect but the fact is there are cars around which makes Alfas of this period look like a paragon of reliability, including certain other Italian ones

The Alfetta platform spawned not only the GTV and 75 but also the Nuova Guilietta (the direct predecessor to the 75) and the 90 (the direct successor to the Alfetta). The bigger Alfa 6, an unsuccessful luxury sedan, does not use the same platform and does not have a transaxle, but the 2.5 V6 is the same save for the fact that the original version had a six-carburettor setup before being replaced by fuel injection. The Alfetta, Giulietta, 75 and 90 also had diesels available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast