Fourtitude.com - Lawsuit claims Purina Beneful dry 'kibble' dog food is killing dogs
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2013 Chevy Cruze
      02-24-2015 07:17 PM #1
      I know a lot of others in OT are pet owners like myself, so just a heads up.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/national/la...e-killing-dogs

A recent lawsuit claims Purina’s popular Beneful brand is hurting and killing pets.

More than 3,000 online complaints have been filed by dog-owners claiming Purina Petcare Beneful’s dry “kibble” variety is killing and hurting dogs, according to the class action lawsuit filed Feb. 5 in federal court.

The brand is still on store shelves in the Tri-State and has not been recalled.

This class action suit concerns "kibble" dry food, which includes "Purina Beneful Health Weight"; "Purina Beneful Original"; "Purina Beneful Incredibites," and "Purina Beneful Healthy Growth for Puppies", "Purina Beneful Healthy Smile", "Purina Beneful Health Fiesta", "Purina Beneful Healthy Raidance", and "Purina Beneful Playful Life" varieties. The packaging used for these foods make the following claims, the suit claims:

"Satisfaction Guaranteed. If you're not happy, we're not happy. Complete satisfaction or your money back..."
      "At Purina, we're unconditionally devoted to pets. We've dedicated over 80 years to developing the high-quality products that satisfy the needs of dogs and cats."
      "100% Complete and Balanced Nutrition"
      Yes, dogs can have it all -- and should! How? A special blend of wholesome ingredients, including grains, real beef, and accents of vitamin-rich veggies! It gives dogs the complete nutrition they need and a taste they love." (Beneful Original)
      "Made with wholesome rice, real chicken, soy, and accented with veggies and apples, it has the complete nutrition adult dogs need..." (Beneful Healthy Weight)
      "With real chicken, wholesome rice, and accents of vitamin-rich veggies, it has the complete nutrition puppies need..." (Beneful Healthy Growth for Puppies)
      "When your puppy is grown, Beneful has so many delicious ways to help keep him healthy and happy." (Beneful Healthy Growth for Puppies)

The lawsuit lists stomach and related internal bleeding, liver malfunction or failure, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, weight loss, seizures, bloat and kidney failure as symptoms consistently reported by dog-owners feeding their dogs Beneful, which is owned by Nestlé Purina Petcare Company.

WCPO contacted Nestlé Purina Petcare Company for response to this suit. Keith Schopp, spokesman for Purina, told WCPO the lawsuit's claims are "without merit."

"There are no quality issues with Beneful," Schopp said. "Beneful is a high quality, nutritious food enjoyed by millions of dogs each day. Like other pet foods, Beneful is occasionally the subject of social media-driven misinformation."

Beneful has been the target of two other class action lawsuits, both of which, Schopp said, were quickly dismissed.

Lee Whalen, of Covington, spoke with WCPO's John Materese Tuesday afternoon about her dachshund, Toby, who passed away last year of premature kidney failure.

Although not directly involved in this most recent lawsuit, Whalen said she had been feeding Toby Purina Beneful and now wonders if the dog food had something to do with Toby's death.

"A lot of the things people were talking about, that was Toby. And with vets not having any other explanation for his kidney failure at such a young age, what else am I supposed to think? That this food was supposed to be safe for my dog was not."

While Whalen's vet, like others, cannot link Beneful to Toby's death, she can't help but wonder.

This most recent class action suit was filed on behalf of Frank Lucido, who claimed in the suit that after purchasing a bag of Beneful for the first time in late December, all three of his dogs began falling ill with stomach and liver symptoms. He said he fed them only Beneful for less than a month.

Dozer, Lucido’s English bulldog, ultimately died after beginning to show signs of internal bleeding in his stomach and lesions on his liver, the lawsuit states.

Lucido’s German Shepherd Nella has shown similar symptoms and his third dog, a Labrador named Remo, has also been unwell and is currently undergoing testing, according to the suit.

Lucido claims these illnesses, and similar illnesses of other dogs that have become sick and/or died after eating Beneful, were caused by toxic substances found in the food.

Attorney James Young, of Morgan & Morgan out of Tampa, Florida, is one of the lawyers filing the suit, and he spoke with WCPO via Skype Tuesday afternoon.

Young said, "We received hundreds of complaints. Nationally, there have been thousands of complaints about dogs who have eaten this dog food by Purina Beneful and suffered very serious side effects, including death."

"The issues are pretty similar across the board," he said, "liver and kidney problems, which results in diarrhea, bloody stool, vomiting, and secondary harm."

Specifically, the suit lists the automotive antifreeze component propylene glycol as a primary ingredient in Beneful’s dog food.

Propylene glycol, a substance the suit says is toxic to cats and dogs, may be included in Beneful’s ingredients list because it helps retain the food’s moisture, according to the suit.

Propylene glycol is a familiar ingredient in food safety cases. Fireball Whisky was recalled in Finland, Sweden, and Norway last October for what some claimed were dangerous levels of the chemical in the product. No recall of the whisky was made in the U.S.

The lawsuit is asking that Nestlé Purina Petcare Company pay actual, statutory and punitive damages to all those filed under the class action suit -- as well as forfeit any profits earned from the sale of the product in question.

Here is Purina's full statement, issued to WCPO by Keith Schopp:

"First and foremost, there are no quality issues with Beneful. Beneful is a high quality, nutritious food enjoyed by millions of dogs every day. Beneful is backed by Purina's strict quality controls and comprehensive food safety program. Like other pet foods, Beneful is occasionally the subject of social media-driven misinformation. Online postings often contain false, unsupported and misleading allegations that cause undue concern and confusion for our Beneful customers. Specific to this class action lawsuit, we believe the lawsuit is without merit. Beneful was the target of two prior class action lawsuits, and both of those suits were quickly dismissed by the court. Bottom line: Consumers can continue to feed Beneful with total confidence."
      Obligatory pic of my pup:

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-24-2015 07:28 PM #2
      Been telling my friends to cook for their dogs for years. One of them has a dog who's having liver issues and I immediately thought it might be the dry food. Asked him what he feeds her. Just started on Beniful.

This was 2 weeks ago. She's not doing well.

He also just sent me a text with that link about 10 minutes ago.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

5. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      02-24-2015 07:38 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by LangsamKafer View Post
      Is that a Rat?
      ftfy
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

Cars
      2013 Chevy Cruze
      02-24-2015 07:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by LangsamKafer View Post
      Is that a Rat Terrier?
      Half Rat Terrier and half Chihuahua.

7. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Cars
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      02-24-2015 08:00 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by strskatr05 View Post
      Half Rat Terrier and half Chihuahua.
      So a Rauahua?

(Yeah, totally say that in a Scooby voice)
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      SRT__________________\_________________________SRT

Cars
      12' V6 TDI ........ 00' VR6T ..........72' 914-6.................15' Honda CTX700N
      02-24-2015 08:04 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      So a Rauahua?

(Yeah, totally say that in a Scooby voice)
      I did....and promptly started laughing out loud.
      Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels and Cuddles Therapist of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-24-2015 08:24 PM #8
      Acana, and nothing else. Stuff rocks. Lots of different wet foods I try though.

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      02-24-2015 08:38 PM #9
      Interesting.

I guess healthy dogs never get sick unless something caused it (that was purchased from a company.. and liable).

Sounds like more "Somebody is responsible for this bad thing happening" crap.
      Call me cynical.

Cars
      '16 Mercedes AMG C63 S, '18 Audi Q5, '11 Suzuki Equator
      02-24-2015 08:53 PM #10
      We usually get our Cocker Blue Buffalo, but we ran out one day and my wife picked up some of this at the grocery store. She was exploding out of her ass within hours. I even posted about it in the pet forum at the time (and caught hell for it).
      SOLD '14 Scuba Blue Audi Q5, '12 Mars Red MB C63 AMG, '15 Lapiz Blue VW Golf R, '13 Sepang Blue Audi S6, '11 Sprint Blue Audi S4, '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i, '04 Deep Blue Pearl VW R32

12. 02-24-2015 08:59 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Interesting.

I guess healthy dogs never get sick unless something caused it (that was purchased from a company.. and liable).

Sounds like more "Somebody is responsible for this bad thing happening" crap.
      Call me cynical.
      You're surprised to hear that dog food might be made of ****e ingredients that cause health issues? I always assumed pet food was borderline poisonous to begin with.

13. 02-25-2015 12:07 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by kar_nut View Post
      You're surprised to hear that dog food might be made of ****e ingredients that cause health issues? I always assumed pet food was borderline poisonous to begin with.
      It's obvious with a little research. Tests were done and some food claiming certain ingredients had animal matter that couldn't be identified. And that was wet food.

Dry food is full of carbs, which dogs don't need. And then you have the lowest common denominator factor of corporations trying to maximise profits and animal food won't be monitored to the extent of human food because it takes something of this magnitude to get attention.

They're probably sourcing ingredients from China, now.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

14. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      all the diesels, and an mg
      02-25-2015 02:25 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ThreadBomber View Post
      Acana, and nothing else. Stuff rocks. Lots of different wet foods I try though.
      Same here
      My beagle doesn't do wet food though since he almost always gets skin issues a few days after, so I gave up trying to find a good wet food. Just some water in the dry food.
      He doesn't eat a ton though so I can imagine paying premium prices for food on a dog that eats a couple favor bags per month could be spendy!

Obligatory pic, this is his happy face...

Cars
      2011 Fozzy
      02-25-2015 06:59 AM #14
      I had my dog on some sort of Purina, I think it was Pro Plan, for two bags and then one bag of Blue Buffalo before switching him to Verus. The food is higher quality (according to the pet store) than Blue Buffalo and it costs less. Around $43 for a 40lb bag at my local store and every twelfth bag is free. After switching him, his skin issues and hot spots cleared up, he crapped less, his coat got fuller and shinier, and his overall disposition improved. I also didn't have to feed him as much because Bonus if you live in Maryland it is a Maryland company. I didn't have time to cook for my pooch while he was with me but I did give him raw food that I got frozen about twice a month as a treat.

Cars
      2013 Kia Soul
      02-25-2015 07:09 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by crannky View Post
      Been telling my friends to cook for their dogs for years.

I've been doing this for years, comes out a little cheaper as well as healthier.

Cars
      2019 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Compass ... driven at/or beyond their limits
      02-26-2015 10:46 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ThreadBomber View Post
      Acana, and nothing else. Stuff rocks.
      Yep. We've been feeding Orijen/Acana for years now with no problems. 15-pound bag lasts him about a month (he weighs 70 pounds and gets 2 cups per day) so when you do the math, you're not really saving all that much money feeding the cheaper stuff. I'd have to give him at least double the amount of the grain-filled stuff. Chet is a big fan of the Acana Pork & Butternut Squash lately.

18. Senior Member
      02-26-2015 12:09 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      ... Pork & Butternut Squash ...
      I'm not supposed to think "that sounds good" in the Pet forum.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-26-2015 05:35 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      I'm not supposed to think "that sounds good" in the Pet forum.
      That's what I feed my girl too, so that's kind of funny. The Acana Singles line is awesome. I've tried them all but she likes the pork the most. She likes the Pacifica as well but doesn't do as well on it.
      Last edited by Jimmy Russells; 02-26-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Cars
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      02-26-2015 07:42 PM #19
      My Jack Russell had to be put down back in May of 2013. He was on Purina Beneful, no way I could ever prove it caused his death though.

Only 11 years old
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon