Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Thread: HVAC Upgrading

Cars
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      02-24-2015 03:17 PM #1
      Well couldn't find a thread, know there is a DIY for the knob switch on Audi-sport.

We recently tested a 2009 HVAC unit on my 2007 A3 to check for Can-bus errors Brent (Audi_eh3) was having with his car. They did indeed appear on my car as well. However the interesting bit is that everything for the Facelift HVAC unit appears to be working for my car. Flaps opening and closing, blower motor comes on. AC is actually functioning as per the switch - On when turned on, instead of the old ECON button turning it off.

I remember TP's post though when I went to buy one

Quote Originally Posted by tp.wannabe.s3 View Post
      it wouldnt work on a 2006 because of this link

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-s...-facelift.html

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but no it won't work. The change over to the newer type blower that is compatible with the facelift climate control happened midway through 2007. That is verified by the Bentley manual. I've also got an A3 in the US, 2007 model, Sept. 2006 build date. I can tell ya from firsthand experience it won't work.

To make it work properly, you'd have to swap your blower assembly for a newer unit, which entails removing the dashboard.

Alternately, you can disassemble both climate control units and place the new faceplate on your existing unit. The downside here is that the 'Econ' button is now 'AC on' or something similar, so basically opposite meanings. So when it is lit, the compressor will be off, and vice versa. Also, the LED for the 'Auto' button does not line up correctly with the new faceplate.

The compromise I found was keeping the existing faceplate, but swapping the chrome knobs from the newer facelift unit over. Gives it an updated look and only requires minor modding to fit.
      So I have a feeling my 07 did manage to make the list that is compatible with the facelift units.

Also Brent and I (Mainly Brent) Did discover something about the red led display for the HVAC unit and are going to work on swapping it over to white possibly as simple as chaning out 8 LED's and the screen filter.

Discuss / We will report back.

Cheers,
      Ponto
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2012 Audi A3
      02-24-2015 04:22 PM #2
      I'm on the fence about a white display on the HVAC module. I think it has a more crisp look to it, and by itself would look better, but it wouldn't match the stock headunit very well and I think it would generally look off.... do it and take pics so I can make a better decision.

Cars
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      02-24-2015 04:33 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by npace View Post
      I'm on the fence about a white display on the HVAC module. I think it has a more crisp look to it, and by itself would look better, but it wouldn't match the stock headunit very well and I think it would generally look off.... do it and take pics so I can make a better decision.

Link for the Q3 swap thread on Audi Sport:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads...trofit.233247/

Prices for them look to be about 190EU so more pricey than the facelift A3 units even.

Quick google, some people have swapped out the Q3 HVAC with a bit of trimming apparently. But thats costly as you have to purchase a Q3 Unit. We pulled a spare A3 unit apart and took a look at the LED display for the center, its 8 or so red LED's, an red difuser and then LCD display that gets let up by the LED's.

And since we have all this info being shared, this link is how to swap out just the knobs for anyone pre 2007

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads...itches.146018/
      Last edited by Ponto; 02-24-2015 at 05:24 PM.
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue