Fourtitude.com - Home Gym equipment advice requested
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2013 Kia Soul
      02-10-2015 03:28 PM #1
      My birthday is tomorrow, also in the start of tax refund season so I find myself with a little extra cash in my pocket.

I have outgrown my cobbled together weight set and makeshift equipment and am looking to upgrade. I'm for sure buying more weight, but I'm torn on buying a cage and bench, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AZW93HRN28RCX

Or if it's better to go with something bare bones, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Squat-Rack-H-D...rds=squat+rack

(amazon used for reference and pricing only, same with the products)

The big draw for the cage is the ability to do pull ups, and a little added security for squats. But I can live with bent over rows and pull ups from the stairs in my split level.

I am not lifting at any sort of competition level at this point, so I won't need anything with a 1K+ capacity, but I don't want to go with a cheaply made setup that I can get at Y'allmart. Anyone have any pointers on this?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-10-2015 03:39 PM #2
      If I lifted alone, I would definitely want a cage, just for the safety factor.

Cars
      2013 Kia Soul
      02-11-2015 10:24 AM #3
      And that's probably going to be the tipping point. With the other set up, I wouldn't try quite as hard out of safety concerns.

5. Senior Member
      02-12-2015 03:04 PM #4
      crap video drivers crashed in the middle of my post...

Anyway

I am a fan of Rogue stuff, little more than the cage there but very good quality.

I had an S1 stand with spotter arms, cage will be a little safer since it gives you a second vertical stop but the arms are good. Advantage over a cage for space is you can break it down (slightly) smaller pulling the arms off when not in use.

Since I had the headroom (Wish I knew when I bought it initially) I upgraded to the S2 uprights which added a pull up bar, off that I could then use their dip bar setup. That is annoying taking it on and off so I took the S1 arms, modified them and made a little mini back half. So its like a shallow cage but I don't work inside it. On the arms in the back I have their weight storage plates and I keep the dip bar. Thought I had some pics of it but I don't apparently.

Point being it may be a few more bucks up front but it is solid stuff and very modular.
      http://www.roguefitness.com/s2-squat-stand

and I basically built this with my spare uprights:
      http://www.roguefitness.com/infinity...conversion-kit

I was going to make a cable pull down rig for it.. what do I get in an email this week? they made one.. ordering soon!

Cars
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      02-12-2015 08:00 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      rouge stuff
      This is what my gym has, and I love it. We have a ton of the S1 racks, and that is exactly what i'd buy if I were going the home gym route. I've failed on squats over 400, with no worries. When i tore my quad I literally dumped 365 on it as hard as possible, and it was no big deal. I've also slammed 400+lb squats in re-racking, and never had any issues. They are great, and take up very little space for what it is. You can also use it to bench safely, with the safety arms, if that is your dig.

They are kind of expensive though. I've always been kind of under the opinion that if you had a shop, you could probably make something very similar, for WAY cheaper. That said, there is literally no reason you'd ever buy another rack if you went with one of those rogue ones. My gym has had them for the entire 1.5 years I've been there, and they are still in nearly perfect shape. The rouge bars on the otherhand.... not so much.

One thing I would like to add though, is that the adjustment holes on the rogue racks are very close to each other, which is so awesome. Before using them I've always felt that the pegs I had to use were either just a little too low, or just a little too high. To me, this is a huge bonus, because you can really dial them in nicely. I use 3 different holes depending on front squat/back squat/ohp - where I used to always use the same one.
      Last edited by kryptonik; 02-12-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Cars
      2013 Kia Soul
      02-13-2015 10:01 AM #6
      I've looked at Rogue equipment before but I hadn't priced out a package, like the S2, a bench & weights and it's pretty comparable to what I've been finding if I piece meal that myself. I also forgot that they are local to me.

02-14-2015 02:14 PM #7
      This thread makes me want to go back having my own rack and weight. The last 2 yrs of surrounding myself with idiots and waiting on stuff has got to my head. No reason not to craigslist for plates, unless u want bumpers.

Cars
      2013 Kia Soul
      02-15-2015 11:52 AM #8
      Wyeah, plates are probably going to be used, I ain't picky.

10. Senior Member
      02-17-2015 09:16 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver6 View Post
      No reason not to craigslist for plates, unless u want bumpers.
      I found my bumpers brand new on CL. While it may have been semi unique as it was the importer that then distributes for peoples ebay stores crap like that, I"m sure any major city area has someone like it. No shipping, brought tax ID from work so no sales tax , and was about 60-75% of what prices were online, pretty good.

This was outside atlanta a few years back. For home use the quality is more than fine. He was honest with me said only the 10s break but I"ve seen bumper 10s break from even name brands if you are dumb with them.

I'd check around might find someone.

02-19-2015 01:03 PM #10
      You knew I was going to post here.

I'm on my 2nd year of having a basement Rogue S-1 setup with the spotter arms, and a Thompson Fat pad bench. Currently using one of their Ohio bars for deads and front squats; no center knurl is great for both. I have a Texas Power Bar for bench and squat, and a Elite SS Yoke bar for various squat fun. I have a couple set of bands for added shenanigans. I have several sets of thick rubber mats and Drycore squares for a deadlift pit that hasn't damaged my floor yet. I've picked up plates from Craigslist, a fellow Vortexer, and a pair of Hi-Temp bumpers from Rogue. I also have some cheap adjustable dumbells from Amazon.

My equipment bests almost anything free-weight related at the overpriced foo-foo gym I used to frequent, and now costs less than 2 years worth of membership to said place. Between having my own stuff and training saturdays with a group of powerlifters, it has been the best decision I've ever made. To be fair, I rarely bench heavy by myself, but training everything else alone and on my schedule (and my music) has been fantastic. All of the things I couldn't stand about Foo-Foo gym are long behind me.

Edit. I can do pullups just fine when I set my J-hooks at the highest point and set down my Texas bar. I'm also short, but I still have to bend my legs, but my lats still get destroyed just fine.
      Last edited by JCJetta; 02-19-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      02-19-2015 02:05 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
      You knew I was going to post here.

I'm on my 2nd year of having a basement Rogue S-1 setup with the spotter arms, and a Thompson Fat pad bench. Currently using one of their Ohio bars for deads and front squats; no center knurl is great for both. I have a Texas Power Bar for bench and squat, and a Elite SS Yoke bar for various squat fun. I have a couple set of bands for added shenanigans. I have several sets of thick rubber mats and Drycore squares for a deadlift pit that hasn't damaged my floor yet. I've picked up plates from Craigslist, a fellow Vortexer, and a pair of Hi-Temp bumpers from Rogue. I also have some cheap adjustable dumbells from Amazon.

My equipment bests almost anything free-weight related at the overpriced foo-foo gym I used to frequent, and now costs less than 2 years worth of membership to said place. Between having my own stuff and training saturdays with a group of powerlifters, it has been the best decision I've ever made. To be fair, I rarely bench heavy by myself, but training everything else alone and on my schedule (and my music) has been fantastic. All of the things I couldn't stand about Foo-Foo gym are long behind me.

Edit. I can do pullups just fine when I set my J-hooks at the highest point and set down my Texas bar. I'm also short, but I still have to bend my legs, but my lats still get destroyed just fine.
      I am planning on doing the same this year. Seems stupid to pay $20 a month to my gym to use literally one piece of equipment. Of course, since my gym is fairly cheap, my break even isn't for 5 years. But being able to just go out to the garage to work out seems like a total win

Cars
      2013 Kia Soul
      02-19-2015 02:53 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
      To be fair, I rarely bench heavy by myself, but training everything else alone and on my schedule (and my music) has been fantastic. All of the things I couldn't stand about Foo-Foo gym are long behind me.

This is why I'm doing it. I self-motivate just find and I'd rather be at home where I don't have to deal with other people. And I'm a-ok with having to modify pull ups like that as long as it gets the job done.

Cars
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      02-19-2015 04:32 PM #13
      I'm definitely impressed by you self-motivators. I don't think I'd ever succeed training in my basement or whatever.

Half my schtick is that being in the gym pumps me up.

Cars
      2013 Kia Soul
      02-20-2015 09:50 AM #14
      It's the only way I can do it. Especially this time of year, I'll procrastinate leaving the house. I can narrow my focus, tailor my training to my time/equipment and I do a lot of work before the wife and kid are awake. I'm the opposite, I envy you guys that can go to a gym with access to all that equipment and put up with other people.

Cars
      2013 Kia Soul
      02-23-2015 11:08 AM #15
      I wound up with an older version of this on craigslist for $100:

http://www.bodysolid.com/Home/GDIB46...er_Combo_Bench

It was sold by a personal trainer who put plenty of weight on it. It doesn't have everything I was looking for but it's enough to get me going on heavier weights. I won't likely be using this for squats, or only for manageable weight...we'll see. Also got some bands from Westside on sale, so I'm pretty stoked to get started this week.

02-23-2015 07:19 PM #16
      If the bench isn't too high, you could grab it out of the rack standing over the bench, and do box squat zerchers
      Actually would be effective lol

Cars
      2013 Kia Soul
      02-24-2015 06:25 AM #17
      We'll find out! Didn't think of that, thanks.

19. 09-12-2019 02:51 PM #18
      On the off chance that a few people have no time and they would prefer not to go to the gym yet, they need themselves fit and fine they use to put some exercise center gear at home in light of the fact that at whatever point they have an opportunity they use it and make them fit. The accompanying Gym hardware can individuals put at their homes:
      • Weighted jump rope
      • Dumbbells
      • Balance ball
      • Yoga mat
      • Exercise bench
      • Treadmill