Fourtitude.com - Question(s) for you aviation mechanics, professionals, and enthusiasts
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      03-24-2017 01:14 PM #26
      That's one pretty lady.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-30-2017 10:05 AM #27
      I live in Raleigh a bit closer to downtown from the airport. Only in the past year have I started hearing a new sound as the jets are slowing near town and you have the doppler effect of their sound go by. It's a really deep kind of "whoop" sound versus the normal higher pitched sound that steadily gets lower in pitch as it passes.

Thoughts?

Cars
      All Mazdas: CX-9, 3, Miata
      03-30-2017 04:21 PM #28
      Congrats on the life change, good luck. I'm in the industry, but didn't come from aviation. I was an RF engineering tech, and fell into the Satellite Communications world. I'm now a sales rep for the corporate MRO world. It's a great community.

Most of the MRO guys I talk to complain that they need people, and have a hard time keeping good people. Most of the long term guys I know love aviation, faults and all.

We have hired many A&P guys who were worn out...the physical aspects of crawling around aircraft, the hours could be tough. They are great product support guys, now!

Keep your options open, it could lead you into other aspects of aviation, should you desire to make another change in the future.

Cars
      2016 Golf R LB ____________ 2018 Tiguan SEL PW ____________ 2019 Jetta S PW
      08-17-2017 07:46 PM #29
      Well, into year two, Powerplant.

We're diving right in. The last couple days have been spent pulling a Lycoming O-235 from a Cessna 152. We ran it up prior to disassembly, so it better work when we (my team of 3) get finished tearing it down and rebuilding it, then re-installing. Really fun stuff, especially comparing it to year one, which was almost entirely in a book.

Last edited by jreed1337; 08-17-2017 at 07:55 PM.
      1+3+3=7

Cars
      10-23-2017 08:01 PM #30
      i must say, i'm elated. today i was given an A&P apprenticeship at Textron Aviation, starting the first week December. so freaking cool to be already starting in the field a year and a half before i finish school, with a guaranteed job when i get my licenses.

man, i just can't even put into words how happy i am right now. not only to be leaving my **** job, but to be doing this so early in my schooling. such an awesome opportunity.

1+3+3=7

Cars
      '12 Ford Explorer, '02 EJ251 Outback
      10-25-2017 01:51 PM #31
      Wow, congrats Jreed!!!
      <<<--Between the Evergreens-->>>
      between.the.evergreens <---my IG

Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
      Cars
      88 928 S4, 13 Boxster S, 03 Silverado 2500HD
      10-28-2017 05:53 AM #32
      time to start thinking about where you want to go with this. General aviation, corporate, airlines, manufacturing? working for a manufacturer like Textron could work out ok, but it's still GA. but everything is new so you're not getting too dirty. the other end of the stick is turning wrenches at an FBO. you gotta WANT to work GA, there's no money in it. Corporate, airlines or manufacturing is where the money is.

i couldn't do GA. fabric airplanes... brr.
      Porsches are not built to be something for everyone, but rather everything for someone.

Cars
      10-28-2017 10:39 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave928 View Post
      time to start thinking about where you want to go with this. General aviation, corporate, airlines, manufacturing? working for a manufacturer like Textron could work out ok, but it's still GA. but everything is new so you're not getting too dirty. the other end of the stick is turning wrenches at an FBO. you gotta WANT to work GA, there's no money in it. Corporate, airlines or manufacturing is where the money is.

i couldn't do GA. fabric airplanes... brr.
      Long term I am not interested in GA either. Textron will be a good place to start though, this facility works on nothing but the turbine aircraft, so that will give me some very usable experience to move into corporate. And we will just see how it goes, the mechanics here tend to start around 75k per year. if it is a good gig and i enjoy it, 75k a year would make me more than happy with room to grow.

at united after 7 years you make 105k a year. american is similar. corporate can go up into the high 100s and even low 200s if you get into an incredible gig (google for example). for now we'll see how it goes here and take it from there in a couple years.
      1+3+3=7

10. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      11-21-2017 03:08 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by jreed1337 View Post
      corporate can go up into the high 100s and even low 200s if you get into an incredible gig
      Greensboro... Honda.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Cars
      11-21-2017 03:16 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Greensboro...
      1+3+3=7

Cars
      08-11-2018 11:48 AM #36
      Well, time for an update.

I passed my powerplant oral and practical exam yesterday. 10 more months of school and one more O&P and my schooling is finished and I can go back to a normal life. Work and school has been pretty brutal on my life, working til 1AM and getting up at 6AM for school during the week. Thankfully I have an amazing wife willing to put up with it all and support me. Honestly I wouldn't be able to do it without her.

Work has been going great. I've been doing everything from tire changes to engine changes. Replacing flight control cables and brake jobs. There is the occasional ****ty day where I do nothing but pull panels or install a toilet, but even those days are far better than anything in my last career.

I was able to go on my first test flight last week. A Beech Premier was having an issue with pressurization, and I changed the primary outflow valve. I am not on the crew that works on the Beech jets, but I was the only one in the shop skinny and tall enough to reach the valve, so I got stuck on the job. An avionics rack in the side for 20 minutes and a big ol bruise from it was well worth the test flight! And it solved the issue, so that was an added bonus.

Really exciting to pass the tests yesterday and start to see a light at the end of the tunnel!

Plus the views at work don't even compare to my old office.

1+3+3=7

Cars
      '87 VW Fox wagon turbo, 2005 Sentra
      08-12-2018 12:09 AM #37
      Awesome. Congrats, and thanks for the update.
      Not red, not blue- red, white, and blue

Cars
      05-31-2019 05:13 PM #38
      Time for another update.

Last Friday I passed my FAA Airframe written exam. Today I passed the Airframe oral and practical tests, and am now a Licensed A&P mechanic.

The last year and a half has been a grind. Getting home from work at 1AM and waking up for school by 630AM was painful. I am so happy the process is over and I can catch up on a little sleep. Well until September when my daughter is born...heh.

I am going to continue to work at the Citation Service Center. I really enjoy the aircraft and the work scope. The shop is a great place to work and the guys I work with are great.

It was a crazy 3 years, I am so relieved to be finished and continue in my new career.

Looking forward to enjoying more views like this from the hangar.

1+3+3=7

15. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      05-31-2019 05:29 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by jreed1337 View Post
      I am so relieved to be finished and continue in my new career.
      careers.honda.com

I'll go ahead and say it again. We are hiring for all sorts of spots @ the HondaJet facility.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Cars
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      05-31-2019 07:47 PM #40
      Congrats, and all the best. Yep, catch up on your sleep while you can.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

17. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-31-2019 09:45 PM #41
      Congrats man!!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

18. Member
      Cars
      '17 Chevy Bolt, '94 CBR1000F, '47 Stinson Voyager
      06-01-2019 11:47 PM #42
      Congrats. Very very cool. Yeah, grab some sleep while you can!
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog |ights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12